Youth pastor is found dead after helping 'stranded people'

CLEVELAND, Ga. --- A youth pastor helping at a church in Pendergrass on Sunday evening was found dead hours later after he called his family to say he was giving a ride to "some stranded people."

The body of the Rev. Edward Frank Harris Jr., 44, of Clermont, was discovered shortly before 4 a.m. Monday in a yard in Cleveland.

Cleveland police arrested a man and a woman in the killing. Police Chief John Foster identified the suspects as William Joseph Dyer, 21, and Jennifer Dawn Lineberger, 29.

Both are charged with felony murder, and Mr. Dyer also is charged with armed robbery.

The Rev. Harris' mother-in-law, Harriet Carnes, said the family was told the Rev. Harris was shot and that his car was found at a different location.

Ms. Carnes said the Rev. Harris called about 7 p.m. Sunday after leaving Pendergrass Baptist Church.

She said the Rev. Harris told her he was going to give some people a ride to Cleveland, about 30 miles north of Pendergrass and 10 from Clermont.

The Rev. Harris and his wife, Tami, have three children, ages 17, 15 and 11.

The Rev. Harris was supposed to pick up the children Sunday evening at First Baptist Church in Gainesville, where the family are members, but instead asked his wife to pick them up, said the Rev. Bill Coates Jr., the senior pastor at the Gainesville church.

"He was one of the most compassionate people," the Rev. Coates said. "One of the good and bad things about Frank is that if he saw somebody who needed help, he had to help."

The Rev. Coates said the Rev. Harris was pastor at a church in South Georgia before he moved to north Georgia four or five years ago.

aninsider
aninsider 12/03/08 - 10:20 am
As an emergency responder, I

As an emergency responder, I have often helped stranded people by giving them a ride after an accident or fire. I will think twice about it in the future. I guess this proves no good deed goes unpunished. I pray that the family of Rev. Harris is comforted knowing that while no good deed goes unpunished on this earth, our Father will reward Rev. Harris for all his good works and deeds. My prayers are with the family.

curly123053
curly123053 12/03/08 - 10:50 am
Rev Harris is already

Rev Harris is already awarded, as he is already in the presence of the Heavenly Father. As a retired emergency responder, I too have given rides to others after accidents and other incidents without problems. Those who have been involved in an accident or other incident are more likely to be more appreciative of a ride or other assistance than someone with a breakdown, but we still need to be careful out there. God bless Rev Harris' family and I pray for his church family too. He was a youth pastor so there has got to be a lot of hurting youth too.

bennyslove
bennyslove 12/03/08 - 12:18 pm
My thoughts and Prayers go

My thoughts and Prayers go out to Rev Harris' family and friends

palomino9
palomino9 12/03/08 - 01:09 pm
the lord works is mysterious

the lord works is mysterious ways

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/03/08 - 02:28 pm
My condolences and prayers to

My condolences and prayers to the family.

augdowg
augdowg 12/03/08 - 03:04 pm
Now WE the taxpayers will

Now WE the taxpayers will foot the bill for ..housing,medical,food..cable...cducation..safty..and so on..based on the age of these 2...huuummmhalf a million dollars if we are lucky..or 2 bullets...1 dollar.. I have the dollar !

1trugent
1trugent 12/03/08 - 03:18 pm
Something to think about.

Something to think about. Though the Rev. Harris was doing what God expected him to do, you have to be extremely careful how you help people these days. My suggestion is to leave it for law enforcement to do. Please don't ever put your life in jeopardy because you believe you're doing the right thing. My prayers are with the reverend's family.

mable8
mable8 12/03/08 - 04:53 pm
Such a tragic ending for one

Such a tragic ending for one of the Creator's helpers; the perpetrators will pay for what they have done on earth and the Creator will take care of the rest. Prayers and condolences to the reverend's family.

enana03
enana03 12/03/08 - 11:40 pm
These two will pay for their

These two will pay for their crime against Reverend Harris in more ways than one. The Lord will take care of it. Condolences to the Harris family. How tragic.

angel of mercy
angel of mercy 12/04/08 - 12:22 am
I also was trying to help a

I also was trying to help a person out when he was walking. I picked him up because he was sweating like a waterfall, and I felt like he would have had a stroke had I not picked him up. Little did I know, he had intended to rob me and probably kill me, but I had the upper hand because I had my gun down in the door, and I picked it up and pointed it at him after he asked where my purse was, which was also down by my left foot. I told him to get out of my car before I blow his head off where he was sitting. I later found out that he was a crackhead and a thief. I thank God every day for watching over me. Needless to say I no longer pick up anyone to give them a ride, even if I think that I know them. Reverend Harris is blessed already because he doesn't have to live on this earth with the low life individuals that took his life. My condolences to the family and just keep God in your life and heart.

artheologist
artheologist 12/04/08 - 08:56 am
There is a certain apartment

There is a certain apartment building in Augusta I used to live in that I cannot name but it is sadly notorious for the experience of its neighborly Good Samaritans being victimized, especially those who have just moved in. This is probably true of many section 8 housing complexes. Time after time after time I've heard of elderly and good youthful people having had their apartments "cased" and then robbed later - or items stolen while the individual has come in "just to use the phone." Lessons to learn: Don't let them use your phone in the apartment, don't let them use it in the hallway (They'll steal your phone if it is a cell), DON'T let them into your apartment. They want to use your phone to make drug calls, pimp women, etc. You know better now and even Jesus said "Cast not your pearls before swine or they'll turn and injure you." Draw the line where you've been warned. (If it is an emergency YOU make the call for the person of course.)

WW1949
WW1949 12/04/08 - 10:32 am
Angle, profuse sweating is a

Angle, profuse sweating is a good sign that the person is on drugs. Thank goodness you had a pistol. I did the same thing when I left a doctors office after getting a cast off my leg. A patient leaving before me wanted a ride so I gave it to him. I had a knife in my pocket which I unfolded when I got in the car and lay by my leg. He started asking for money and I just brought the knife up on top of my leg and he stopped. I pulled over and he got out. It pays to have a weapon in your car. Now I pick up no one.

brownskin30434
brownskin30434 12/04/08 - 12:32 pm
Condolences to the Rev.

Condolences to the Rev. Harris's family. My family and I will lift you up in our prayers. Be Proud of your husband and father and no that he is with God.

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/04/08 - 01:21 pm
Hey holy-rollers, whatever

Hey holy-rollers, whatever happened to forgiveness? Why should these "suspects" have to pay? You don't even know if they did it. How do we know "the rev" wasn't involved in a drug deal gone bad, and giving someone a ride wasn't just an excuse? Also, why do they keep calling him "The Reverend Harris" instead of Mr. Harris, or Reverend Harris...what's up with saying the? Am I The DoubleD?

thatch56
thatch56 12/04/08 - 02:12 pm
DoubleD, I guess it is

DoubleD, I guess it is assumed that after a person is called by the lord and has gone to seminary school that they are giventhe right to have the title of "The Reverand". It is also assumed that this type of person is not a having a "drug deal gone bad". Change your name to SingleA.

jusanote
jusanote 12/04/08 - 02:39 pm
To those of you who spoke of

To those of you who spoke of the experiences where you offered help and escaped with your lives, I hope you learned your lessons because next time you might not be so fortunate. It is sad that we have to refuse assistance to someone who might really need it and we would all like to be good samaritans, but the truth is that before you pick up strangers you have to think about your own lives and the possible devastation to your families if you were to be killed by some lunatic. I am a good person but I refuse to endanger my life by putting a total strranger in my car and hoping for the best. It is an unecessary risk that often ends in tragedy.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 12/04/08 - 04:15 pm
My deepest sympathy to the

My deepest sympathy to the family.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 12/04/08 - 04:17 pm
Amen jusanote!!! It's a shame

Amen jusanote!!! It's a shame we can't help those who really may be in need becuase of [filtered word]'s like this couple, may they burn in hell!!!

greenhulk1980
greenhulk1980 12/04/08 - 05:05 pm
Double D does that stand for

Double D does that stand for double dumb A? I love this attack the victim mentality that angry liberals have. You do not understand that there are evil people that do evil things. There are child molesters that liberals dont want to be forced out of their neighborhoods. You don't get it and you will never get it as long as you are an unwise liberal. But at the same time if a person is in need it is not our job as Christians to question but to act. God Bless the family of Reverend Harris and may the murderers repent before they meet their end.

Bocat420
Bocat420 12/04/08 - 05:33 pm
Rev. Harris would want

Rev. Harris would want forgiveness for the people that did what they did, not all of this burn in hell stuff. Most Christians are unwilling to give a little of what God has abundantly given them, Grace. Yes it's tragic, yes it's unspeakable, but it was God's will. I bet he would have given them whatever they asked for, if they had only asked for it. I pray for the souls of the people that did this to Rev. Harris. I pray for each of you reading this, even you Double D. God has a reason for everything and Christians need to start living as we are directed. Love God and Love your Neighbor. God's hand on the heart of the hurting and His arms around the family of this man who I am honored to call a Brother in Christ.
God's Warrior!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 12/04/08 - 06:14 pm
Just becuase I do not forgive

Just becuase I do not forgive cold blooded killers and want them to pay doesn't mean we are not Christian or unwilling to give a little. Cold blooded murder IMO isnt a tragic accident of neglect or an act of desparation where you stole from someone and later regret it. There is no making a murder right, maybe an accidental death I could see forgiveness. If anyone can forgive a cold blooded murderer who murders one of thier family members, an innocent child or anyone then you are just a better person than I. As for burning in hell, isnt that what hell is supposed to be for?? For those who are cold callous with no soul who prey on others. I know the jails and justice system do not punish these animals appropriatly so they should be punished somewhere!! IMO some sins are just not worthy of forgiveness, they need to pay. If there is no penalty for a sin such as this, then everyone would murder!!!!!! The faith that there may be an ultimate price to pay should be a deterrant. I never claimed to be religious and know everything about the bible, but I do believe in God, Heaven and Hell and believe in the end the price will be paid!!!

As It Is
As It Is 12/05/08 - 04:27 am
What a fine man. It is sad

What a fine man. It is sad that incidents such as this will effect so many in such a negative way and will prevent others in need of help or assistance from being helped. It is sad, but without knowing someone pretty well, you shouldn't place yourslef in any situation such as this that will put you in jeopardy. As for the murderers, they deserve a quick death sentance if found guiltly. These years of appeals, etc. must end. Anyone guilty beyond the shadow of a doubt, backed up with DNA and other evidence should be put to death within less than a year from the incident. Stop wasting tax payer money to house, maintain health, and provide lawyers for murderers and other violent criminals. Take quick and swift action and make it well know and crime will reduce in this country as it has in others.

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/05/08 - 01:06 pm
My point is that so many are

My point is that so many are quoting the bible and defending the criminals when others are saying, "hang em." I'm the hang em guy and I was being scarcastic because now the bible thumpers want to see someone pay, because a Rev. was killed. Bobcat, do me a favor and don't pray for me.