Across the area

New recycling facility will open in January

Augusta Solid Waste has delayed the opening of a new recycling center at the Deans Bridge Road landfill.

The dumping center for glass, computers, televisions, motor oil, batteries, aluminum, tin, newspapers, plastics and other recyclables had been scheduled to open in November, but the target date is now Jan. 2, according to Solid Waste Assistant Director Lori Videtto.

Some stall guide rails still have to be installed, and the department has ordered extra signs to make the facility easier to use, Ms. Videtto said in an e-mail.

The delay won't affect Christmas-tree recycling. The landfill will take trees free of charge from Dec. 26 to Jan. 17.

Augusta residents with trash service can leave trees at curbs for pickup. Trees will be ground into mulch, Ms. Videtto said.

Botanical gardens to lose funding from city

The Augusta Botanical Gardens are in limbo again after the Augusta Commission voted Tuesday to stop footing the bill for upkeep. The commission voted 9-1 to not renew a six-month lease to operate the gardens on Reynolds Street.

City Administrator Fred Russell said the lease was free, but maintenance was costing the city $140,000 per year. Given the upcoming tight budget year, the expense had to go, he said.

The lone dissenter, Betty Beard, said she cast a no vote to make a statement.

"I am sorry to see it close," she said. "We have put so much time and energy into it."

Mayor Deke Copenhaver said it's a sad situation, but the city can't keep funding a state facility.

Teen arrested in hazing incident

BATON ROUGE, LA. --- An Augusta teen is among six men facing charges linked to an alleged hazing incident that hospitalized at least two members of Southern University's band.

Harvey Harrison, of Augusta, and Carlos-Andres Carter, of Stone Mountain, Ga., both 19, were arrested Tuesday on charges of aggravated second-degree battery and ritualistic acts, the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office said.

Both remained in the parish jail with bond set at $15,000, according to sheriff's spokeswoman Kellie Engels. Neither had attorneys listed.

Four more suspects were arrested late Tuesday on the same charges: Jeremy Dixon, 22, of Natchez, Miss.; Joseph L. Webb, 21, of Columbus, Ga.; Lagarian Bridgewater, 22, of Baton Rouge; and Aubrey Harris Jr., 20, of Canton, Miss.

According to a probable cause report released by the sheriff's office, three members of the band were beaten last Thursday with a two-by-four as part of an initiation into the band's French horn section.

Two of the victims have been hospitalized and are in serious condition in the intensive care unit at a Baton Rouge hospital. Their names have not been released. The third person withdrew from the alleged initiation, sheriff's deputies said.

rufus
rufus 12/03/08 - 08:45 am
That must be some french horn

That must be some french horn

sgachief
sgachief 12/03/08 - 08:52 am
the botanical garden should

the botanical garden should not cost anywhere near 150 thousand dollars to maintain. richmond county has a multitude of master gardeners that must contribute vol. hours to maintain their status. that solves the labor issue, i'm sure some of the garden supply businesses would love to contribute fertilizer, etc. just to get their name on a donor plaque. there is a way to save the garden, it just takes a little initiative. in other words, master gardeners, get to work, you are a service organization, not a prissy self serving garden club. walk the walk.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/03/08 - 10:05 am
well said sgachief, I feel

well said sgachief, I feel confident 2/3 of the $140k for annual maintenance fees in the "botanical garden" went to some special purpose. I'd like to see an intelligent report explaining why why it costs over $385/day to maintain this garden.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/03/08 - 10:31 am
Hazing can be an important

Hazing can be an important bonding ritual if it tests ones mettle, but it needn't be torture. This type of abuse is why hazing was outlawed.

curly123053
curly123053 12/03/08 - 11:04 am
I agree PT. I remember going

I agree PT. I remember going through a hazing experience back in 1969 which was my freshman year in high school. That was nothing compared to what goes on now. We were warned ahead of time to wear old clothes....then we had eggs poured over us....then marched down Laurens St. in Aiken....there was no beatings....no verbal degradation....it was actually fun. Nowadays I shudder at what I would have gone through......I am now in Houston with my brother who is getting cancer treatment, and there is a high profile hazing case here.....it turns out a group of freshmen cheerleaders were blindfolded for their inititation and they were pushed into a swimming pool without any warning. This happened in nearby Katy Texas and there have been several arrests as 2 of the cheerleaders wound up in hospitals for nearly drowning.

SHOCKER1
SHOCKER1 12/03/08 - 12:08 pm
Get rid of the gardens and

Get rid of the gardens and the Lynx!!!! I could care less about paying to see flowers and going to watch a hockey game!

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 12/03/08 - 12:37 pm
PT would say that hazing can

PT would say that hazing can be good. YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!! probably were the school bully, too. You should go to jail with the rest of them.

yesyes
yesyes 12/03/08 - 12:40 pm
I love looking at flowers and

I love looking at flowers and enjoy going to hockey games. I think the money that is being proposed for the new baseball stadium should be reallocated to the gardens and the lynx. The current baseball stadium is fine, they just need better parking.

bandmember
bandmember 12/03/08 - 02:28 pm
Hazing is a form of being

Hazing is a form of being apart of an organization. Young people will go through the pain to feel that sisterhood or brotherhood. I have been through it myself. Those who have never experienced it just think its wrong. Its only wrong when people get seriously gets hurt like in this case. I went to school with one of the victims and one of the suspects and they are very respectful men. Yes they took hazing to another level but they are trapped in the college way of doing things. Hazing is a form of tradition and if you dont believe it go to college and find out for yourself.

justtryingtomakeit
justtryingtomakeit 12/03/08 - 04:27 pm
bandmember, i used to be in

bandmember, i used to be in the band as well and i know about hazing in universities...but....what is there to prove by hazing? Does it make you a better instrumentalist? Does it make you a better person? Do you feel good about yourself after you have been beat? Is being apart of something bigger than you so serious that you wouold subject yourself to harm?? I thought brotherhood and sisterhood was about love and honor among brothers and sisters..about building bridges and taking care of one another. About protecting each other Should you be hazed for that love? All it proves is that someone can be put in control and given power over another. It is crazy the things we will do to fit in and belong to something. I am not trying to be funny at all, it just hurts to know that we can do this type of thing to one another and then sit back and think that its part of some passage of life. Is it now considered lame to just prove your worth by being great at what you do and by standing out from the rest?

jonnyblaboa
jonnyblaboa 12/03/08 - 04:56 pm
I completely disagree

I completely disagree bandmember... Those who's heads have been pumped up about you need to go through hazing to become closer are brainwashed. Even slaves were not treated like this. Hazing is for the weak who feel they need to hold rank over others because they feel inferior. I have plenty of friends and "life time connections" yet no one has ever needed to lay a hand on me to become a part of that. I have seen bands across the CSRA and looked into them well yet only 2 schools I have seen have taken hazing to a new level. These are the people who could not cut it in college so they bring their sadistic rituals to the high school bands and brainwash them from an impressionable age. This is becoming an increasing problem in HBCU's that we need to take some form of abuse as a test of our devotion. So to anyone who reads this, please do not think you must do this just to gain acceptance. Hazing rituals are for the weak minded, not the strong as they like to suggest. The strong minded are strong enough to know how to be independent and make their own connections.

a7u0g6
a7u0g6 12/08/08 - 09:37 am
Those of you who think

Those of you who think negatively about "hazing" are the ones who have been brainwashed... Any and EVERYTHING you become a part of, you go through an initiation period. (Geez, crabbing in a band is no different than going to Basic Training in the Army) You WILL start from the bottom, and work your way up AND there will be some things that you are gonna have to put up with. At a new job, you don't get to request weekends off from the beginning... You take out the trash and bust your butt to appease those above you so oneday, YOU TOO can have the privilidges of seniority. This case just happened to go too far. I'm not going to say that I have/have not attended a university and/or did/did not march in the band... I also will not say that if i did/did not, that I was/was not hazed. But, I bet you one thing, theoretically, IF I had been hazed, I know I would have WAAAY more pride in organization, knnowing that I had EARNED the right to be there.