School records show paddling cases

Richmond County schoolchildren were paddled last year, but top school officials were unaware that corporal punishment is still practiced.

Four schools reported administering corporal punishment on nine occasions, according to The Augusta Chronicle's analysis of state discipline records. Schools self-report the incidents to the Georgia Department of Education as part of their annual discipline reports. But neither Superintendent Dana Bedden nor Executive Director James Thompson, who is responsible for discipline, is aware of any paddling last school year.

Both said they would look into the incidents.

Dr. Bedden said the reports of paddling could be simple mistakes by whoever entered the data, accidentally entering the number for corporal punishment rather than another discipline action.

However, two of the schools that reported paddling students in 2007-08 also reported paddling in 2006-07, The Chronicle found. Butler and Glenn Hills high schools administered corporal punishment in both years. Tubman and Glenn Hills middle schools also administered it last year.

Dr. Bedden said he finds it hard to believe that any of these schools actually paddled students.

The Richmond County Board of Education adopted a policy for corporal punishment in 1977 and revised it most recently in 1990. It outlines when and how corporal punishment is to be administered, requiring only authorized employees to administer it with a witness present. Permission first must be obtained from parents, and documentation must be kept stating the reason for the punishment and who was present.

Reach Greg Gelpi at (706) 828-3851 or greg.gelpi@augustachronicle.com.

CORPORAL PUNISHMENT INCIDENTS BY THE NUMBERS

The number of schoolchildren paddled in Richmond County increased last school year, Georgia Department of Education data show.

2006-07 INCIDENTS: 4

Butler High School: 2

Glenn Hills High School: 2

2007-08 INCIDENTS: 9

Butler High School: 1

Glenn Hills High School: 4

Glenn Hills Middle School: 3

Tubman Middle School 1

Here are the 10 Georgia schools with the most incidents of corporal punishment for the 2007-08 school year:

SCHOOL SCHOOL SYSTEM Incidents
1. Randolph Clay High School Randolph County 1,258
2. Elbert County High School Elbert County 776
3. Worth County Middle School Worth County 633
4. Calhoun County Middle High School Calhoun County 600
5. West Laurens Middle School Laurens County 569
6. Johnson County Middle School Johnson County 558
7. Fitzgerald High School Ben Hill County 552
8. Dodge County High School Dodge County 543
9. Toombs County High School Toombs County 520
10. Coffee Middle School Coffee County 482

Source: The Augusta Chronicle's analysis of Georgia Department of Education data

NEone
NEone 11/29/08 - 03:01 am
Is this head in the sand

Is this head in the sand leadership? Data entry errors? You've gotta be kidding!

bearbryante
bearbryante 11/29/08 - 05:21 am
who cares if they paddle

who cares if they paddle them? the parents aren't raising them, someone has to.if you don't want anyone to touch your precious child, or should i say uncouth heathen,then homeschool them.but, you don't want those kids home do you?you can't wait for them to go to school,so shut up,please! (not all parents,about 65% though)

the kid
the kid 11/29/08 - 05:40 am
BEARBRYANTE how true you are.

BEARBRYANTE how true you are.

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 11/29/08 - 07:04 am
I ain't gonna lie to ya...I

I ain't gonna lie to ya...I got paddled twice in the sixth grade and it didn't kill me but my mom nearly did, lol. Tear them butts up and quit coddling them. I turned out much better because of knowing to mind my manners. I had friends that didn't get paddled or spanked and had little to no discipline. Some of them are dead because they knew no boundaries. When other measures don't work and you refuse to spank them you may surely see your children and likewise entire families have problems because of it. I say ultimately it's your decision but for the sake of parents who do choose to occasionally list some type of punishment.....keep your unruly brats at home.

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 11/29/08 - 07:20 am
Hard displine is what they

Hard displine is what they need, but in todays world I would fear for the teachers safety. Some of the youth in todays world would come back the next & kill the teacher & then brag about it...example: You can bet you a-- that b---- will not be putting her hands on me again. And why are the youth that violent? From not receiving displine at home. The youth today are not scared & that's where the problem begins. Fear is a good thing, I'm not talking about fear of your life. Fear of getting your butt whiped. Growing up I was scared of my Papa, I knew if I didn't do what my Papa had to me to. My butt was going to suffer the consequences. Fear is a good thing at any age, when you have non, trouble is directly behind you ready to strike. We all know friends if not our selves who drink & drive & get caught, go to jail & get out & do it again. And they will be the first to tell you..jail ain't that bad, you have to get up a little early but they do have breakfast waiting on you. I don't get that at home. Can you guess why I don't drink & drive? FEAR..fear that might get behind the wheel & kill an innocent humanbeing. FEAR..of going to jail.

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 11/29/08 - 07:24 am
FEAR..keeps me aimed in the

FEAR..keeps me aimed in the right direction. But like I said earlier our youth don't fear anyone or anything. Here's their one great line...I'M A MAN, YOU GONNA RESPECT ME! How many times have you heard that? If the thought of going to jail or being put in jail does not scare you? A teacher surely is not going to!

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 11/29/08 - 07:50 am
I'm laughing at myself

I'm laughing at myself because every time in the past when I heard the news reporters talking about Rich. Co. Super of Education Dana Bedden, I assumed they were speaking of a woman. I'm not laughing or making fun of his name, It's just amusing you know how you can have an image in your head? My head didn't picture a man...lol

Lakefront1
Lakefront1 11/29/08 - 07:52 am
One of the first things this

One of the first things this former teacher learned about teaching was that learning is painful. The context was not about discipline; it was saying that learning is a process of breaking and changing concepts of what we think and then putting new and correct information in its place. However, discipline is no different. When the student is out of line and is consistent in that effort, physical pain becomes an excellent teaching tool. We can take away what they enjoy all we want, but the student is still in dire need of physical discipline. The best example I know is the Bible. All through the Word God teaches and disciplines and it resulted in pain for the Israelites. Fear is not enough. Fear is mostly threats and warnings. The student needs the the board of education across the seat of defiance. Not only does it teach needed lessons but also respect, which is dearly missed now-a-days.

steve-o
steve-o 11/29/08 - 08:21 am
If my kid gets spanked by a

If my kid gets spanked by a teacher at school, He's gonna get another one from me when he gets home! I won't let my kid become a thug, or a loser.

christian134
christian134 11/29/08 - 08:35 am
I am surprise the children

I am surprise the children are still getting spanked by the school officials...Most of the times they(the teachers) are afraid of retaliation even by the youngest child who received the punishment...Now as far as my children were concerned if they managed to get into trouble I was called before anyone did or said anything...As a mother who stayed home to raise my own children no one touched my children except for myself...Believe me they would have been better off if the school had administered the punishment...I accessed the situation first, if punishment was warranted they received it along with grounding as well as all privileges being revoked for an appropriate length of time...But I digress....To paddle a kid these days, in my opinion, would be to invite retribution big time...I salute the teachers of this day and age for even being teachers...

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 11/29/08 - 08:41 am
There is a big difference

There is a big difference between paddling and beating. Used to be, if you got into trouble at school, you got into trouble at home. Parents would be waiting at the door with the paddle. You didn't have the parents trying to hurt the teacher and arguing with them like now. "My child would never"...Your child is a brat! These days, some parents need a paddling too. Some children are lazy, won't follow the rules, have smart mouths and show no respect for anyone including their parents. I also do not believe in rewarding a child by suspending them from school.

WW1949
WW1949 11/29/08 - 09:02 am
i say paddle them if needed.

i say paddle them if needed. i got mine several times in school and it did not hurt me.a parent is not thinking clear when they say no paddeling. first off it teaches the child that acting out is not appropriate and will not be tolerated and that punishment will be fast plus it embarresses them in the school and no one wants to be embarressed in front of their peers.

methree
methree 11/29/08 - 09:36 am
OMG!! touch someones "child"

OMG!! touch someones "child" while they're at school?
if i had to teach in todays schools i probably be in jail for "child" abuse. i'm surprised that the "kids" didn't hit back or that the "parents" didn't cause trouble, because their children would NEVER cause any trouble.

YoDaddy
YoDaddy 11/29/08 - 10:27 am
KK - your right on!

KK - your right on!

neverhitachild
neverhitachild 11/29/08 - 10:33 am
Some of your readers are

Some of your readers are considering this issue rather simply, in my opinion. First, physical pain interferes with learning. It is a liability in a learning environment. Consider the hungry pupil or the one who is ill. Pain is a distraction. There are plenty of effective ways to maintain order in the classroom without hurting anyone. The kids who remain in school and further their education are those who find school a non-threatening place, who experience their teachers as tolerant, forgiving, caring and encouraging and who, rather than avoid their teachers, feel attracted to them as interested, invested mentors and positive role models. Only negative role models inspire fear and teach that bigger, stronger and more powerful people can get away with mistreating smaller, weaker, more vulnerable people. Bullies using corporal punishment just help produce more bullies.

Second, the records show that schools that use corporal punishment tend to be those with higher rates of violence, higher dropout rates, more vandalism and lower academic performance. It is a myth that school corporal punishment makes schools safer or helps kids learn to behave acceptably and to succeed in the world.

getalife
getalife 11/29/08 - 10:33 am
I would not be a teacher for

I would not be a teacher for twice their pay. The students have no respect for the teachers or anyone in authority. Today we have to be so politically correct with everything. If warranted, paddle their butts. If the parents say no paddling, then call the parents each time the child creates an issue, maybe after a few times of interrupting their day or work, maybe they will straighten out their kids. No respect for authority leads to no respect for the police, boss on their job or anyone else. Dr. Spock and all of the no spanking book writers were wrong to program our society to their way of thinking.

palomino9
palomino9 11/29/08 - 10:51 am
More of those schools need to

More of those schools need to paddle the little brats, maybe it will control their unruly behavior, since their parents are not doing it.

justus4
justus4 11/29/08 - 11:35 am
This story should be about

This story should be about principals and their schools. If this happened, the principals are responsible because they are first-line supervisors. Why the picture of Dr Bedden? The story is another example of the All-White Media doing what they do, which is to question the brotha's leadership skills, when actually it's the principal's job to control their schools, not the superintendent. Again, the story should have addressed the particular school's principals and ask for their comments on suspected paddlings, which would provides more accuracy in the assesstment of responsibility.

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 11/29/08 - 12:03 pm
And just as usual, justus4

And just as usual, justus4 takes a story which has NOTHING to do with race and tries to spin it into a "woe is me" racial story. Good lord man...give it a rest! When did the media become "all white?" You have got to be one of the most flagrant racist I have seen post on this forum without getting banned.

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 11/29/08 - 12:04 pm
Or was there a Justus1, 2,

Or was there a Justus1, 2, and 3 that got banned?

corgimom
corgimom 11/29/08 - 12:30 pm
"There are plenty of

"There are plenty of effective ways to maintain order in the classroom without hurting anyone"- I laughed at that one- obviously somebody hasn't been in a school lately. And as for this comment- Second, the records show that schools that use corporal punishment tend to be those with higher rates of violence, higher dropout rates, more vandalism and lower academic performance"- yes, and all of those are connected directly to out-of-control behavior, NOT spanking. I'm thinking the spanking is a RESULT of the behavior, not the cause.

corgimom
corgimom 11/29/08 - 12:37 pm
This is what I personally

This is what I personally witnessed on Tuesday. It was lunchtime, the cafeteria was filled with kindergarteners and 4th graders. A 4th grade boy was causing a disturbance with 2 other boys at another table. The cafeteria lady blew her whistle and walked forward towards the boys. The instigator jumped up out of his chair and lunged towards the woman with his fist drawn back and ready to punch her. The lady is retired, approxmately 70 years old. A male kindergarten teacher had to run over and get between the boy and the cafeteria lady so he wouldn't punch her. And Justus, the children AND the cafeteria lady were black, so you can't say she was picking on them. That is what schools are like today.

eagleyes
eagleyes 11/29/08 - 12:46 pm
i'm not sure why this is even

i'm not sure why this is even an issue. richmond county has the policay laid out as how to carry out corporal punishment so what's the problem? besides i worked in richmond county schools and those kids need their [filtered word]es beat. gotta love it when a teacher gets called every name in the book and has their life threatened multiple times and they get "in house". but fortunately i also had students attending school just so they could come to my class! that made all worth it!

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 11/29/08 - 12:47 pm
corgimon....you didn't really

corgimon....you didn't really see that..... The all white media must made you think you saw it!

soldout
soldout 11/29/08 - 01:07 pm
spare the rod and spoil the

spare the rod and spoil the child............Oh, I keep forgetting we are smarter than God, sorry

neverhitachild
neverhitachild 11/29/08 - 01:45 pm
Ignorance of positive and

Ignorance of positive and effective ways to manage and teach children is one reason for swinging a board from the end of a brute's arm and strking a little kid. It doesn't take any brains to deal with a child that far from the child's brain.

Another reason to hit is that some brutes find it stimulating to hurt the private backsides of youngsters. It's impossible to tell the difference between the dumb teacher and the sexually perverse one unless the perpetrator confesses ignorance or the sexual fetish. It's no surprize that I don't hear anyone hear admitting either. Other lame excuses are offered.

Smart teachers rely on their formal education and embrace the standards of their professional organizations. Where laws don't insist on those standards, some teachers backslide and resort to methods they learned as children, when they were managed by brutes that they now lazily copy. Violence begets violence.

The overall number one reason teachers hit kids is because they can. Where it is not allowed, teachers go about succesfully teaching without hurting anyone, as they do in 29 states and in all of the 100 largest cities of our country. Aren't your teachers as smart as theirs?

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 11/29/08 - 01:51 pm
neverhitachild.....Why is it

neverhitachild.....Why is it a fact that problems with violence toward teachers AND attrition rate is highest in schools with no corporal punishment? Why is it that the Columbine school shootings, and several others were carried out by children of parents who don't believe in corporal punishment?

radiatingtatas
radiatingtatas 11/29/08 - 02:08 pm
My kids go to burke county

My kids go to burke county schools and when we first came to the school they asked us if we wanted our children to be corporal punished. We of course being a military family have been moved around alot and this was the FIRST school that they ever did corporal punishment. We signed the form for them not to get paddled. I feel that my husband and I can bust their bottoms better than the school. They only give 3 smacks. But if my children do get in trouble then they will call and if it comes down to ISS then we can give the Okay for 3 smacks versus ISS. Burke county has a wonderful system where there are so many strikes and then it goes to the corporal punishment and it is done with plently of witnesses. Anyway as I am rambling on and on and on. I was one of those parents that DID NOT sign the corporal punishment and I do not believe in it.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 11/29/08 - 02:12 pm
I was in Jr High School

I was in Jr High School starting in 1977. From the time I left elementary school until I graduated in 82 I never saw anyone paddled in school. After elementary school they had detention, in-house suspension, suspension or expulsion. This has to be a clerical error. My kids went to elementary school in RC and my wife was a volunteer. No kids were ever paddled. Now, I think paddling should still be practiced in schools but unfortunately we have turned into a blame society. It's not Jr's fault he listens to rap,plays violent video games, comes from a dysfunctional family, was abused as a child, etc etc etc. Horse hockey! I have always been a firm believer in the schools having rules to insure that kids that want an education are not kept from that goal by knuckleheads that want to act up. Put them out, put them out now, and put them out for good. If their parents show up to the school crying how Jr and Susie are innocent and being picked on. Offer them the oppourtunity to sit in class with them. If they don't want that option then escort them off the property with the warning that if they or their children return they will be promptly arrested for trespassing and prosecuted!!

workingmom
workingmom 11/29/08 - 02:15 pm
neverhitachild, as an

neverhitachild, as an educator, I am offended by being called a "brute" simply because I do not share your beliefs about corporal punishment. Having said that, I do not agree with corporal punishment in the schools in this day and age simply because there are people all too quick to assume things such as you have done in your post. Teachers who even consider corporal punishment today are just sitting ducks waiting for a lawsuit. All the training and education in the world on alternative forms of behavior management cannot take the place of good parenting when it comes to discipline. In my opinion, there is a place for corporal punishment, but that should probably be done in the home.

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...