Pray for Obama; it's what Christians do

I have followed presidential elections since President Ronald Reagan. In the past, I have been disappointed with the choice America has made, and in some cases extremely proud.

But I have never been angry and spiteful at the results of America's choice.

Even after watching Gore and Kerry lose with some controversy, I didn't see on television or in print news the anger and hatred I see today.

If you don't like President-elect Obama or don't like his policies, then you should have driven more people to the polls. You should have registered more people to vote, you should have given more money to your candidate's campaign or you could have run for office yourself and created change that way.

But don't put your hatred into the world -- name calling or accusations about being the Antichrist. President-elect Obama is a Christian man who has a different world view. I can't see the world as he sees it because I haven't lived his life. But I trust God, and if you trust God the way you say you do, then you know to pray for President-elect Obama to get the right message and to pray for his advisers to get the right message. This is what Christians do!

I disagreed with many prior presidents' policies but I never had the feeling of hate in my heart for them. What I have read in newspapers over the past several days are messages of hate mixed with policy disagreements.

What I love about the editorials is that citizens have the right to express their opinions. This is what makes America great and sometimes dangerous. Having rights shouldn't make you reckless. If people truly believe President-elect Obama will ruin the country then they are one president and eight years too late.

Tony Littles

New Ellenton, S.C.

factchecker
factchecker 11/26/08 - 10:56 am
"ThatOne" you are right,

"ThatOne" you are right, Obama never promised to balance the budget in his first term. McCain did. "Presidential candidates Barack Obama and John McCain have both promised to rein in the federal budget. Obama has pledged adherence to Pay-as-You-Go (PAYGO) rules mandating that any tax cuts and new entitlement expansions be fully offset. McCain has pledged to balance the budget by 2013." http://www.heritage.org/Research/economy/wm2102.cfm But that doesn't make him Not the anti-Christ.....lol

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 11/26/08 - 10:57 am
Why would anybody pray for

Why would anybody pray for Obama? He is smart and intelligent and does not need prayer. If you must pray though, pray for the dumb & incompetent occupant of the White House who is there now, and ruined this country. He is the one who really needs the prayers, in fact you might pray that he gets some smarts sometime in his life.

bigbluefanV
bigbluefanV 11/26/08 - 11:20 am
You guys going on about Obama

You guys going on about Obama being the anti-Christ are just WAY OVER THE TOP! Mr. Littles I like your letter.

Lobosolo
Lobosolo 11/26/08 - 11:22 am
Here's another fact for you,

Here's another fact for you, o' checker of them. Having an opinion and passing judgment on a person's character are two totally different things. You've proved my point gloriously. And Susie Q, how do you know that Mr. Little DIDN'T pray for George Bush? I'm willing to bet that lots and lots of people prayed for him to be able to guide us through real crises. I know I did. When it was obvious Mr. Bush's actions and intentions did not speak well for America's citizens and the world in general, I began to instead pray for his soul. As I stated earlier, you people on this blog call yourselves doing God's work, judging all so that She doesn't have to. Imagine, one day y'all all be at the pearlies without having to worry about the riff-raff being let in because you've already pre-judged everyone, leaving Heaven all to yourselves!!! You think God will be grateful?

SusieQ
SusieQ 11/26/08 - 11:32 am
midwestern, I am not angry

midwestern, I am not angry after eight years of Bush,as a matter of fact I'm doing great!And I am all American,and I Believe in our Great Nation!!guess I'm just not an angry person like you.God Bless America.SusieQ

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 11/26/08 - 11:37 am
That one over there...ever

That one over there...ever visited his web site & read his platform. Did You hear any of the debates? I don't hate Obama. I'm sure he is a very personable man with Marxist leanings and friends who are terrorists. Many of our past presidents have admitted to doing crack and had spiritual advisors who hated America.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 11/26/08 - 11:52 am
"Pro-life or pro-birth, there

"Pro-life or pro-birth, there is a difference. Pro-birth addresses the fetus being born. Pro-life is protecting the unborn AND protecting the child after birth by endorsing such programs as Head Start, universal health care and other social programs for poor children. Pro-life is protecting both the fetus and the child once they are born." posted by teharper 09:17 These "pro-lifers" on the boards are actually pro-birth extremists, teharper. In fact, I don't even call them "pro-life" or "pro-birth". I call them anti-choice, because that is what they are. There are maybe 1 or 2 true pro-lifers in the sense of the definition you gave, but no more than that.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 11/26/08 - 11:54 am
Now, as far as this great LTE

Now, as far as this great LTE goes, I could've sworn I saw this printed earlier in the month. Or maybe I'm just seeing things...

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 11/26/08 - 11:59 am
Where do you Bush haters

Where do you Bush haters REALLY think you'd be without him?
Economy set aside that is. After what was handed to him in '01, I'd say he makes a pretty good chicken salad. At least the man's got a set.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/26/08 - 12:14 pm
Republicans need to a 540.

Republicans need to a 540. Right willis?

grouse
grouse 11/26/08 - 12:19 pm
What makes America dangerous

What makes America dangerous is that most of its citizens believe in the supernatural.

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 11/26/08 - 12:59 pm
I have no problem supporting

I have no problem supporting the President elect. You dem's sure haven't supported the current one for 8 years. I love how you defend the bashing of Obama but enjoy partaking of the Bush bashing. You talk out of both sides of your mouth.

dale88fan
dale88fan 11/26/08 - 03:00 pm
has osama had anymore plane

has osama had anymore plane trouble?

laking
laking 11/26/08 - 03:45 pm
Factchecker, Suppose you are

Factchecker, Suppose you are serious and I don't think you are. I believe most of posters like you are on The Chronicle payroll. Ellaborate on which definition by MSN best fits Obama: (1) An antagonist of Jesus Christ, expected by the early Christians to spread evil throughout the world, but then to be overcome by the second coming of Christ. Or (2) Opponent of Jesus Christ: a person or power opposed to Jesus Christ. If you concluded that it's former, Would you speculate the form(s) in which this evil will spread? If it's the latter, what harm will he do that would be counter to or worse than the policies of previous presidents? Examples: Reagan's " Constructive Engagement" to South Africa's Apartheid? Or to Bush's policy of "Pre-emptive Attacks on Preceived Enemies"?

Former Augustan
Former Augustan 11/26/08 - 04:00 pm
Unbelievable! First of all,

Unbelievable! First of all, THIS ISN'T A CHRISTIAN COUNTRY AND NEVER WILL BE! There are lots of folks out here of other religions, and lots of atheists who don't believe in any god but are great citizens. Finally, you fanatics can pray all you won't, but even if there is some creator somewhere, with an endless universe do you really believe that he/she/it cares a tinker's damn about your prayers into the ozone? If there is a god, my guess is he/she/it made the universe and moved on, and never played any part in anything that has happened in the last 20 billion years.

MtnMan
MtnMan 11/26/08 - 05:55 pm
Who is the FACTCHECKER ??

Who is the FACTCHECKER ?? What "Anti-Christ"?..here is an example. Do you know why an Olympic venue was pulled from Augusta?

MtnMan
MtnMan 11/26/08 - 06:02 pm
OOHHH! after reading further

OOHHH! after reading further I find that FACTCHECKER thinks Obama is the Anti-Christ......and NOW I KNOW who is the biggest nut in here! What's next? Will I be told that snake handling will bring us closer to God???

IncredibleGuy
IncredibleGuy 11/26/08 - 06:26 pm
Do we kneel facing to the

Do we kneel facing to the east when we pray?

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 11/26/08 - 06:33 pm
THATONE!!!! Loved the post!

THATONE!!!! Loved the post! WTG! I needed a chuckle. So true. To Soldout: You can't accuse someone of a sin without first having had commited it yourself. How else would one know it was a sin? We are all guilty and all have fallen short. That's just the way it is.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 11/26/08 - 06:37 pm
gnumb...what were we supposed

gnumb...what were we supposed to support? Bush and Cheney shoveling more money in their pockets? At least when Clinton was Prez, everyone.....everyone had more money in their pocket. Life was a lot better.

Ken
Ken 11/26/08 - 06:59 pm
Are we speaking about the

Are we speaking about the Right Rev Wright type Christians? Or are we speaking about the kill a commie for Christ type Christians?

popower
popower 11/26/08 - 08:13 pm
please give o bama a chance

please give o bama a chance to do his job bush screwed up this country got all kind of troops killed gays homosexualy got married the stock market crash people losing their home job cuts gas prices skyrocket food went up i don't hear any body talking dogging president bush.it is still hate in the usa rascim in this country people still hate because the color of your skin

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/26/08 - 08:36 pm
Keep chopping away at it

Keep chopping away at it Midwestern, you'll get there, but only if you Endeavor to Persevere. I kinda like your Blathering Muck-Raker style of prose slightly more than I prefer your Muddling Proletariat Anathema style. But who knows, with your kind of dazzling charisma, anything is definitely, maybe, possible.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 11/26/08 - 09:41 pm
Oh yeah Gnumb...it wasn't

Oh yeah Gnumb...it wasn't chicken salad Bush fed you...it was chicken poop! Just because he is GOP, you ate it. He doesn't have a set. One only has a set when what they try to accomplish actually works. He and Cheney smurfed up the whole country, its economy and sent thousands of our innocent young people to their death in an egotistical war. If that's what you call a set, then you don't have one either.

GGpap
GGpap 11/26/08 - 10:54 pm
I certainly hope All

I certainly hope All Christians that are moved to pray do so while locked in their "prayer" closets scratching whatever itch of the day is driving them to prayer. This way they will be removed from the midst of those that have much better things to do and that may, indeed, improve society (and our government) as a whole. GGpap.