Could've been any Joe

The Pentagon says it's working on robotic spies the size of flying insects for military surveillance in the year 2030 or beyond.

But the landscape is already crawling with pesky little spies in 2008.

The Ohio Office of the Inspector General reveals in a report that of 18 government agency information searches on Samuel Joe Wurzelbacher -- Joe the Plumber -- "eight were conducted by various agencies without any legitimate business purpose."

Helen Jones-Kelley, director of the state's Department of Job and Family Services, has been suspended without pay for a month for allowing the fishing expeditions to go on in her department.

Jones-Kelley was also using state equipment to raise money for Barack Obama.

It's bad enough what the media did to Wurzelbacher. Now, we find the government was all over him too, behind his back.

This is a man, mind you, who was merely tossing the football with his son during the presidential campaign when Barack Obama showed up on the street. Wurzelbacher asked an innocent question about Obama's tax plans, prompting the candidate to make his now-legendary remark about spreading the wealth around.

Media outlets combed the man's background for dirt, questioned his motives -- and tried to make him the whole point, rather than his question or Obama's answer.

That's just sad.

But it's alarming that government officials would feel free to spy on John Q. Public -- or Joe the Plumber -- simply because he stepped inadvertently into the spotlight.

Jones-Kelley's suspension was a slap on the wrist. Someone who is politicking on the public dime, and knowingly allowing spies to search through public information for dirt on a citizen, ought to be unceremoniously fired.

As the Columbus Dispatch says, "This misuse of government power against a citizen is a grave matter. Americans should be able to challenge politicians without fear that government officials will try to damage their reputations. Fear of being targeted in that way can chill political speech and participation."

Who's next?

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 11/26/08 - 02:50 am
Joe had to be a plant. I'm

Joe had to be a plant. I'm glad they checked him out and found him to be a fraud.

PTHS225
PTHS225 11/26/08 - 03:47 am
GAC - So he made Obama make

GAC - So he made Obama make that statement? I guess if an "Average Joe" can make the token puppet say whatever he wants, Pelosi and Reid are going to have a ball. Joe was never the issue, Obama's words were and are.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 11/26/08 - 04:11 am
GAC, I'm with you on this

GAC, I'm with you on this one. I hope our government and the media will learn to quickly destroy any one who dares to question our great new leader. A personal army as powerful & well funded as our current military. Obama...toot, toot!!

factchecker
factchecker 11/26/08 - 06:01 am
Even if Joe was a plant I

Even if Joe was a plant I didn't see a gun in his hand pointed at Obama to make him give the answer he did. GACopperhead you are so full of sh!-. It's all good until it doesn't match with your side. You would be jumping up and down if it happened on the McCain side. Isn't that one of the things you were complaining about with Bush and wire-taps? The rights of individual citizens? Again you are so full of crap you can't even see anymore. You are just another example of the masses blindly following the anti-Christ.

intheknow
intheknow 11/26/08 - 07:28 am
Man are you people still

Man are you people still bickering over the elections? Goodness there has to be more important things going on?

intheknow
intheknow 11/26/08 - 07:28 am
Who is the Antichrist? Palin?

Who is the Antichrist? Palin? That is not right to call her names.

bcs2k
bcs2k 11/26/08 - 07:31 am
Obama made an accurate

Obama made an accurate statement -- which America agreed with. Joe was exposed as a major fraud. He would have benefited under Obama's plan. Hopefully Joe's 15 minutes of fame is done. Of course one would expect MCcain and his supporters to fall for such tricks without doing basic vetting. America dodged a bullet Nov. 4.

bcs2k
bcs2k 11/26/08 - 07:35 am
intheknow; Many CSRA

intheknow; Many CSRA residents are bitter. It's sad. Whenever my candidate loss, I would be over it in 2 days and figuring out what the new guy is trying to do and align myself properly to prosper. Of course nothing can enable broad prosperity under dubayah.

PTHS225
PTHS225 11/26/08 - 07:38 am
bcs2k - 8 years later you are

bcs2k - 8 years later you are still using disrespectful names for the sitting President. Your "over it in 2 days" credibility just flew out the window. Typical mantra mouthing monkey.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 11/26/08 - 07:39 am
My opinion on Obama isn't

My opinion on Obama isn't relevant in this discussion. It's about the dirty tricks, lies and fearmongering that are the signature of Republican party. It's Lee Atwater and Carl Rove all over. It's exactly the type of campaign that attacked McCain in 2000. He caved to the party, and that, primarily, cost him my vote. Then he picked the Vice-ditz candidate.

bcs2k
bcs2k 11/26/08 - 07:46 am
PTHS; I aligned myself with

PTHS; I aligned myself with Bush's policy in 2 days. I certainly did not go around whining about the results like many CSRA appear to be doing. It's been 3 weeks and residents are still grumbling. Sad.

bcs2k
bcs2k 11/26/08 - 07:48 am
I know a lot of people who

I know a lot of people who said they did not recognize "this" John McCain. The GOP machine called plays from a playbook that was long dead. The party ruined him.

justus4
justus4 11/26/08 - 08:03 am
Joe is an example of whites,

Joe is an example of whites, voting against their own self interest because the president-elect's plan would've given joe more relief, but because of his ignorance & biased, he could not comprehend the difference. He was not even a plumber, so he lied about his profession-what else was he lying about? He is an example of white men's pipe dreams, the ability of the all-white media to create individuals, then parade these clowns around like they're normal. (remember Pfc Lynch, the so-called war hero that didn't fire her weapon, special Ops rescued her and the media fabricated the whole story) Again, Joe is a loser and is white American's token of a bygone era.

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 11/26/08 - 08:23 am
And like clockwork, justus4

And like clockwork, justus4 turns it into a racial issue.

christian134
christian134 11/26/08 - 08:32 am
justus4 your mindset is as

justus4 your mindset is as per usual off the wall charts of mental stability...If your ramblings are any indication of the general opinion of the black race then you will not be offended by any remarks blanketed against your race...Personally I would like to say all racism is dead with this man Obama getting elected...We are all on even footing, all responsible for our own living conditions as well as behaviors...No more need to have NAACP, black pages, black colleges, black entertainment network or KKK, white this or that...We are all in this together or so it is supposed to be that way...But to make this work you, justus4, should get some new material...:-)

PTHS225
PTHS225 11/26/08 - 08:40 am
John McCain has never been a

John McCain has never been a Republican. We knew that and voted accordingly. This will be a painful, but necessary, lesson for our country.

ThatOne
ThatOne 11/26/08 - 08:42 am
Why is this guy still talking

Why is this guy still talking about Joe Wurzelbacher??? Be mindful he was thrust on the national stage by McCain/Palin, and anyone who is on the national stage can expect a cyber prostate exam. This guy was dumb as a sack of rocks, a liar (he claimed he was thinking about buying his boss's plumbing business, which he didn't have the money to buy, the unlicensed business wasn't worth $250k)...If I were a legitimate licensed plumber I would have been [filtered word] this guy was being touted as the "average plumber"...All of this was found out by peole snooping into his background..He was behind on his taxes so he din't have to worry about anybody's economic plan!! At the end of the day cry me a river! Nobody cares!!!..He would have never voted for Obama no matter what he said; but in the end it really didn't matter because his backing wasn't necessary anyhows...

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 11/26/08 - 08:46 am
Some of you are missing the

Some of you are missing the point. It doesn't matter who or what "Joe the Plumber" is. What matters is the Socialistic answer that he was given. "Joe the Plumber" will soon be a tiny footnote in history, but the Socialist that he confronted will soon be our leader. Now cue "ThatOne" in an attempt to change the subject.

ThatOne
ThatOne 11/26/08 - 08:49 am
What the editorial staff at

What the editorial staff at the AC should be writing about is the spying and prying that is happening right there in Augusta at Fort Gordon. The recent discovey that personal phone calls between military personnel in Iraq/Afghanistan were being listened to and illegally recorded by the NSA....Soldiers talking to their spouses and girlfriends here in the United States; soldiers and their spouses talking about intimate things that in no strech of the imagination posed any national security concerns....

ThatOne
ThatOne 11/26/08 - 08:50 am
"the socialistic answer" blah

"the socialistic answer" blah blah blah..Talk about socialism when the government stops giving money to every bank and corporation that hobbles to D.C. with hat in hand!! Whatever!

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 11/26/08 - 08:55 am
How did Obama vote on the

How did Obama vote on the largest bailout in history?

christian134
christian134 11/26/08 - 08:57 am
"ThatOne" as opposed to all

"ThatOne" as opposed to all those on the welfare rolls for generations hat in hand?

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/26/08 - 09:18 am
Poor justis, so jealous and

Poor justis, so jealous and bitter of "white" people. Talking about a "token of a bygone era". So certain his lot in life is going to change by the election of a black man. I think he is in for big disappointment.

ThatOne
ThatOne 11/26/08 - 09:18 am
How did all the politicians

How did all the politicians vote on the largest bailout?? How do you feel about the financial situation?? No bailouts, or limited bailouts??

ThatOne
ThatOne 11/26/08 - 09:20 am
unchristian134: What does the

unchristian134: What does the bible say about the poor?? You love to quote scripture, enlighten me....

ThatOne
ThatOne 11/26/08 - 09:23 am
justthefacts: If Obama was a

justthefacts: If Obama was a Jesse Jackson he wouldn't have gotten a quarter of the african american vote and less than that of all others....

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/26/08 - 09:30 am
Thatone, I have no idea what

Thatone, I have no idea what you are talking about.

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 11/26/08 - 09:32 am
I say NO bailouts. Obama

I say NO bailouts. Obama voted the same as the rest of the socialists...McCain included. Unlike "ThatOne" some are capable of criticizing those that they supported. McCain was certainly the lesser of 2 evils. Pointing out that others voted to bail out the banks, does not diminish the fact that Obama did as well. Come on.....criticize him just once. You'll feel better.

Mr.Positive
Mr.Positive 11/26/08 - 09:52 am
Helen Jones-Kelly should have

Helen Jones-Kelly should have been fired for launching an investigation into the background of Joe the Plumber, then using her state office to promote a political campaign. All she got was a month off without pay. Big deal!

ThatOne
ThatOne 11/26/08 - 10:00 am
Fiscal responsibilty is good,

Fiscal responsibilty is good, I agree, but I also know I'm not an economist and perhaps those in the loop who now are giving out money may see something I don't...You say no bailout and so do I, but what wiould we say standing in the soup line? I feel strange agreeing with you on this, but I don't like when my money is given out, but I also know something has to give! I am willing to conceed some banks may need help, but when they fly to D.C. in private jets, take vactions with bonuses, and claim nothing will change as far as business practices go then I say to hell with them..I think Ford and GM deserve nothing, and if they crash then a smart investor will look to the south to restart the automotive industry..Yeah it will hurt alot, and we all will feel the pain, but take the medicine, because the truth is we all have spent more than we should have over the years, we have had it good...Chickens come home to roost you know..At least I'm willing to pay more in taxes IF that will help get us out the $50 trillion dollar ditch we're in..btw, I have no problem critcizing anyone, just read my comments...I just won't point blank criticize soemone until they do something I disagree with.

Democrats target turnout for Sunday voting

Registered voters in Augusta-Richmond County can cast ballots in the Nov. 4 election from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Advance Voting Center at Augusta Municipal Building, 530 Greene St.