Utah: The Utes finished their regular season 12-0 after their Saturday smackdown of No. 16 Brigham Young. As the Mountain West champion, Utah has clinched a spot in a Bowl Championship Series bowl.
Notre Dame: Really, Syracuse? The Irish can't defeat a team that lost by 14 to Akron? What's worse: losing to the Orange or having coach Charlie Weis signed through 2015?
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WATCH
The BCS title game should have two of these four teams involved: Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma or Texas.
The game should match up teams from the Big 12 and Southeastern conferences. Should Southern California weasel its way into the national title game, the Big 12 and SEC should sue the BCS for allowing the Pac-10 and Big 10 champions a shot at playing for the top prize despite not having to play a conference championship game.
KEY GAME TO WATCH
One game of interest outside the Georgia-South Carolina area to keep an eye on:
- Auburn at No. 1 Alabama, 3:30 p.m., Saturday: The Crimson Tide have lost six in a row to their in-state rival. That streak appears to be in jeopardy this year with the Tigers struggling on offense. Undefeated Alabama is a two-touchdown favorite. Anything can happen in a rivalry game, but this has all the makings of a rout.
RANKING THE BIG FOUR
1. Georgia (9-2, 6-2 Southeastern Conference). It appears the Bulldogs are locked into the Capital One Bowl, depending on what happens with Alabama and Florida.
2. Georgia Tech (8-3, 5-3 Atlantic Coast Conference). Yellow Jackets need Virginia to upset Virginia Tech on Saturday to win the Coastal Division title and earn an appearance in the ACC Championship.
3. South Carolina (7-4, 4-4 SEC). Maybe the Gamecocks will fill that running back void in the off-season with someone in the mold of George Rogers, Brandon Bennett or Harold Green .
4. Clemson (6-5, 4-4 ACC). Quarterback Cullen Harper will finish first on the school's career list in completion percentage, second in completions, third in passing yardage and third or fourth in attempts.
- Georgia Tech at Georgia, noon, Saturday (CBS-Ch. 12)
- South Carolina at Clemson, noon (ESPN2)
THIS WEEK'S STORY LINES
Clemson: Interim coach Dabo Swinney seeks a three-game winning streak and a resume-builder.
Georgia: Bulldogs will try to match longest winning streak in the series set by the Yellow Jackets (eight games, 1949-56).
Georgia Tech: A win will set the Yellow Jackets up for their first 10-win season in a decade.
South Carolina: Defense seeks to atone for disaster at Florida two weeks ago.