Major League Baseball
Steinbrenner turns control over to son
George Steinbrenner 's 35-year reign as boss of the Yankees ended Thursday when he passed control of baseball's most famous team to his youngest son, 39-year-old Hal .
One of his first items of business concerns the team's free-agent offer to CC Sabathia .
Hal Steinbrenner said that the star left-hander will have a deadline to accept the Yankees' contract proposal.
"We've made him an offer. It's not going to be there forever," he said.
The team has reportedly offered a six-year deal worth more than Johan Santana 's $137.5 million contract with the Mets.
- New York Yankees pitcher Mike Mussina announced his retirement, even as he comes off his first 20-win season. Mussina, who turns 40 in December, was 270-153 with a 3.68 ERA in 18 seasons in the majors.
- Three-time All-Star Chase Utley will have surgery next week on his right hip and might not be ready for the start of the 2009 season for the Philadelphia Phillies.
- The St. Louis Cardinals were close to a contract agreement with left-handed reliever Trever Miller . Miller was 2-0 with a 4.15 ERA and two saves in 68 games last season for the Tampa Bay Rays.
Kenseth signs new contract with Roush
Matt Kenseth signed a multiyear contract extension with Roush Fenway Racing to continue driving the No. 17 Ford.
The deal comes at the end of one of Kenseth's most disappointing seasons: He failed to win a race for the first time since 2001.
Daly in the hunt at event in Hong Kong
In Hong Kong, John Daly put himself within four strokes of co-leaders Liang Wenchong , of China, and South African Richard Sterne , who shot 6-under-par 64 in the first round of the $2.5 million Hong Kong Open.
- In Pebble Beach, Calif., John Cook shot 10-under-par 62 to take a three-stroke lead over Brad Martin after the first round of the Callaway Golf Pebble Beach Invitational.
Cook, 51, is one of eight Champ-ions Tour entrants in the tournament that features players from the four major tours.
- In Coral Springs, Fla., John Morse shot 2-over-par 74 at TPC Eagle Trace to take a one-stroke lead over Robert Thompson after the third round of the Champions Tour qualifying tournament.
Pairings drawn for the Davis Cup final
In Mar del Plata, Argentina, Argentina's David Nalbandian will face Spain's David Ferrer today in the opening match of the Davis Cup final.
Juan Martin del Potro , Argen-tina's top-ranked player at No. 9, was drawn to play Feliciano Lopez in the second singles match of the best-of-five series.
Bowe will fight for 1st time since 2005
Former heavyweight champion Riddick Bowe will fight for the first time in three years on the undercard of the IBF title fight between Wladimir Klitschko and Hasim Rahman .
Bowe's opponent for the Dec. 13 fight is yet to be determined.
Chicago will make bid for 2016 Games
In Istanbul, Turkey, Chicago and three other cities vying for the 2016 Summer Games will make their case today to the regional group with the most votes in the Olympic movement.
Tokyo, Madrid and Rio de Janeiro also will make presentations to the general assembly of the European Olympic Committees, which represents 50 countries and holds the balance of power in the Olympics.
- The U.S. Olympic Committee said that it has ended the probation it placed on USA Boxing in 2002, citing progress made in reforming the organization that develops boxers to compete in the Olympics.