Augusta man found not guilty of murder

An Augusta man on trial in a murder case was acquitted Thursday of all charges.

A Richmond County Superior Court jury found Terrell A. Green, 21, not guilty of murder, aggravated assault and weapon violations.

Mr. Green was the last of three men accused of killing John D. Grimes III, 27, one night in July 2006 along Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard near 12th Street. His friend, Steve Griffin, who was walking beside Mr. Grimes, was wounded but managed to escape from masked men firing from a passing vehicle.

"What we do know about this case is that it is a mess," defense attorney Victor Hawk told the jury in his closing argument.

Mr. Hawk accused the state witnesses of lies and inconsistencies. He read portions of a letter a co-defendant wrote to Mr. Green -- statements that included apologies for having falsely accused Mr. Green of taking part in the fatal shooting.

But the jury also had a letter Mr. Green wrote to that man, which instructed him on exactly what to say, Assistant District Attorney Hank Syms argued. Mr. Green's letter also mentions how he knows that the co-defendant was recently beaten in jail by other inmates.

The reason for the shooting, said Mr. Syms, was that the shooters thought the victims might have been selling drugs in their territory.

"John Grimes was on Martin Luther King just walking, not doing anything. And he got shot down like a dog. Steve Griffin was lucky to make it out alive," Mr. Syms said.

Alvin L. Scott, 28, and Bryant L. Collier, 21, pleaded guilty this year to aggravated assault for a sentence of 10 years in prison followed by 10 years on probation.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/21/08 - 02:43 am
Such a wonderful group of

Such a wonderful group of Constituents Mr. Obama has here in Augusta. Don't forget the Democratic Party during the "Season Of Giving" this year. Seems they have a shortfall this year and could use any donations they could get.

SMHwhatamessthisis
SMHwhatamessthisis 11/21/08 - 06:00 am
to bad them other two boys

to bad them other two boys cop a plea are else they would've walk to.never say you done some you did'nt do... make the police work the case hard and find there killer.

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/21/08 - 06:11 am
SMH, I guess they should have

SMH, I guess they should have thought to write the letters aligning their alibies before they "pled out". Guess the old adage about "hindsight" is true. Maybe the two on the "inside" will be supported by the one rag bearer they "Got Off" with their letters. Too bad law enforcement can't beat the truth out of criminals like gang members can. Nothing like blind justice.

Trouble1
Trouble1 11/21/08 - 06:45 am
Tujeez, we dont have to give,

Tujeez, we dont have to give, come jan 21, they will take......

fd1962
fd1962 11/21/08 - 07:58 am
Don't strain your dainty

Don't strain your dainty brains, girls. (McCain losers)

zambu_glenlivet
zambu_glenlivet 11/21/08 - 08:50 am
I'm sure those were McCain

I'm sure those were McCain supporters (Meloan & Eubanks) who were doing all the sick things to the little boys. I'm sure there's a REPUBLICAN PAC out there for closet homophobe child molestors!

usnvet
usnvet 11/21/08 - 09:16 am
Legalize drugs and all this

Legalize drugs and all this crappe will stop. Our current laws allow these gangs to flourish. People have and always will use drugs. In a free country, we all should have the right to medicate ourselves. Burglar Boy Nixons' legacy lives on!! A law to make criminals out of everyone enacted by a the master criminal himself!!

the realest
the realest 11/21/08 - 09:23 am
SMH must be a Rhodes Scholar.

SMH must be a Rhodes Scholar. The more time police spend on cases the more resources they must invest into the case. The amount of resources and time they spend equals the amount of money that goes into these cases. Obviously you've got this figured out along with the 3rd grade grammar.

jerryyoung
jerryyoung 11/21/08 - 09:48 am
It's a shame that some people

It's a shame that some people will try to do anything to undermine the election of Barack Obama to our nation's highest office. He was elected by people of all races, gender, ages, socio-economic status and geographical placing. Criminals come from all walks of life not just people that voted for Obama. Give the man a chance to do his job. Hail to the chief!!

oneconservativetoanother
oneconservativetoanother 11/21/08 - 09:52 am
There we go again...Equal? I

There we go again...Equal? I don't think so. Why indict and spend the tax dollars of all knowing there would not be a conviction. Knowing the evidence was not going to fly but the powers that be insist on going forth is a total waste of time. ..this is justice for all? yeah right...

RhondaAllDay365
RhondaAllDay365 11/21/08 - 09:58 am
John Grimes Jr was my brother

John Grimes Jr was my brother and all this acquittal proves is that the world we live in is not all corrupted with criminals, but also citizens that could care less about another human being life as long as it isn't them or their family members. It is a shame when you have lawyers that make their livings supporting criminals knowing good and well they are guilty "for the love of money" and juries that act as though they really didn't want to be there. But those people have to live with their sins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so so glad that I was raised to know the difference between right and wrong. Live....... ...........Life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rufus
rufus 11/21/08 - 10:09 am
Mr. Green will be back in

Mr. Green will be back in court soon.

RhondaAllDay365
RhondaAllDay365 11/21/08 - 10:15 am
Oneconservativetoanother the

Oneconservativetoanother the evidence was there , the DA's office especially Mr. Sims did a wonderful job !~!~! So no it was not a waste of tax dollars, I and most everyone else pay taxes as well ...... maybe you should have gotten off your butt and attended the trial then you wouldn't have been so quick to pass judgment !!!!! And most importantly a life was lost so you be b-l-e-s-s-e-d !!!!

RhondaAllDay365
RhondaAllDay365 11/21/08 - 10:17 am
rufus , my family and I

rufus , my family and I totally agree!!!! That is what gives us peace!!!

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 11/21/08 - 10:35 am
I really cannot believe

I really cannot believe anyone would inflect politics on this. Do you think any of the players in this story (other than the lawyers) even vote? This is a terrible side to our community and one that exists no matter who sits in the whitehouse. The more both parties point the finger at each other the more this kind of thing happens. When nobody is watching the hen house the foxes have thier way. Stop being part of the problem. I did not vote for Obama but he is now MY next CIC. I will support the leader of my country. I did not always agree with the stance of Bush but he was still my CIC. This is the greatest country in the world. It will always be that way. We need to solve our issues on a local level and stop thugs, like in the above story, from taking over our communities.

brownskin30434
brownskin30434 11/21/08 - 11:43 am
GnipGnop: How eloquent and

GnipGnop: How eloquent and true.

corgimom
corgimom 11/21/08 - 12:01 pm
Rhonda, my condolences to you

Rhonda, my condolences to you on the loss of your brother. I cannot imagine the pain this has caused your family. There is some small comfort in that 2 of his killers will pay for their crime. My thoughts are with you and your family.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 11/21/08 - 12:35 pm
" He was elected by people of

" He was elected by people of all races, gender, ages, socio-economic status and geographical placing. Criminals come from all walks of life not just people that voted for Obama." There's one thing that really irks me about this election and that is the total untruth of this previous statement. Just step up and say it like it is. I SAW with my own eyes people who were too sick to even know they were there who were "assisted" to cast their votes; I saw a mentally challenged young man who probably never knew that he had been dragged to an early voting poll to cast his vote; I saw an old lady in a nursing home who wheeled her chair out to the poll located there but was told by an attendant that she had already voted by absentee ballot-I of course do not KNOW for whom these votes were cast but I can deduct based on the number of voters of a particular race who voted there. Numerous voters who had NEVER voted before came out to vote, again of a particular race. Some were not even registered but tried to vote. It IS our duty and honor to pray for whomever will hold that office and I will do so, but please just be honest and acknowledge exactly how he won the election.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 11/21/08 - 12:38 pm
Now for the case at hand;

Now for the case at hand; either this individual truly WAS innocent until proven guilty and the proof wasn't there or the district attorney's office did not present a case which caused the jury to decide beyond a reasonable doubt about his guilt. Not the end of the story however as we've seen with O J Simpson; if this individual really WAS guilty, chances are that he will commit another crime that will get him back into the system. If he's a person of character this will be a lesson learned and the system will never see him again. Until then he must be considered "not guilty", which, as one district attorney recently pointed out, is NOT the same as innocent in all cases.

gagirl40
gagirl40 11/21/08 - 12:51 pm
CoastalDawg...The coalition

CoastalDawg...The coalition of voters that supported Obama reflected the diversity of America. Sixty-one percent of his supporters were white, 23 percent black and 11 percent Hispanic.
In contrast, 90 percent of John McCain's supporters were white.

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/21/08 - 01:46 pm
To all of you out there in

To all of you out there in Poster Land....... Do you think these people voted for McCain? Hippogritz..............I see you learned a new word.........did Angiesdad teach you that one? Maybe you have been to School at realists therapy mall.

rtn222222
rtn222222 11/21/08 - 01:47 pm
SMH makes frequent

SMH makes frequent posts...and is a confirmed idiot.

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/21/08 - 01:59 pm
It is a sad day when the

It is a sad day when the jurors can be given a letter written by the defendant written to one of his witnesses about being beaten in jail and telling HIM what to say in his letter, written in intimidation, Exonerating the defendant, and bring back a verdict of innocent. Just goes to show you that Justice is blind, and jurors are blind,deaf AND DUMB! The color of a rag is such an important thing.

DRAMAMAMA
DRAMAMAMA 11/21/08 - 02:47 pm
Tujeez were you there? In

Tujeez were you there? In court?

DMac_357
DMac_357 11/21/08 - 03:03 pm
There are some really stupid,

There are some really stupid, sore loser Republicans on here. This story has nothing to do with whether you're a Democrat or Republican and somehow it gets injected into the discussion. I'm not speaking about all Republicans; just the ones on here who can't let go that their party lost. Get over it. PT you should give it a rest. You think you're smarter than everyone else but I'd be willing to put my credentials up against yours any day.

GET REAL1
GET REAL1 11/21/08 - 03:24 pm
Right DMac 357, but these

Right DMac 357, but these idiots in Augusta don't care about a life. What's important here is that it gives them an opportunity to mention Obama in a negative light. It only matters when it is their family that loses a life so tragically.

Hepkikyo
Hepkikyo 11/21/08 - 03:51 pm
I have a friend who is a

I have a friend who is a pretty darned nice guy, but borderline illiterate. I feel sorry for him when he writes things with so many mistakes. I'm glad no one makes fun of him, and that he keeps trying. He has been getting better lately. Victor Hawk! Now there's a thieving idiot! You all can have at "that one".

whitescorpion
whitescorpion 11/21/08 - 04:20 pm
CoastalDawn... Obama was

CoastalDawn... Obama was elected by freeloaders and morons.

sueboo418
sueboo418 11/21/08 - 05:13 pm
I agree Hepkikyo about Hawk,

I agree Hepkikyo about Hawk, I guess he gets the bad guys off. Seems like he is 2 for 2 in the last 2 weeks.

jerryyoung
jerryyoung 11/21/08 - 05:43 pm
GnipGnop that's how it is

GnipGnop that's how it is supposed to be. Had John McCain won this election he would have my support as the leader of this nation. CDawg, I know how Obama won the election - by winning the most electoral votes. However he won, what does he have to do with Mr. Green's case. I don't know the particulars of the case and certainly am not an advocate for those committing crimes to walk free. If Mr. Green got off wrongfully it can not be blamed on our next leader of the free world. I am an African-american and voted for Obama. He didn't get my vote because his skin is similar to my skin but because I think he is the best person for the job. I am sure there are some people that voted for Obama because of his race. By the same token there are some who voted against him because of his race. So let's call that a push. The nation wants change and the numbers reflect that .