Lazy outdoorsmen despoiling nature

For the last year and a half, I have been enjoying the Savannah River up and down by kayaking with friends. I grew up here and never fully appreciated the river until I began to traverse it. What a wonderful resource we all have! Right in our backyard!

I was in an area about a mile above the Stevens Creek dam this past weekend, and while paddling along the South Carolina bank came upon a point out in the river where the ground was covered with at least 50 spent shotgun shells, presumably left by hunters.

All up and down the river you can also see numerous empty blue bait containers littered along the banks, along with empty soda and beer cans.

Come on, outdoorsmen. Tote out your refuse.

This river doesn't deserve to have its beauty sullied by lazy hunters, fishermen, and others.

The river belongs to us all. You wouldn't leave that garbage around in your front yard, would you?

J. Michael Bryan

Augusta

d1zmljqg
d1zmljqg 11/21/08 - 07:47 am
"You wouldn't leave that

"You wouldn't leave that garbage around in your front yard, would you?" Probably they would.

I appreciate your letter in getting your message out.

Bizarro
Bizarro 11/21/08 - 08:53 am
I would hope most hunters

I would hope most hunters would pick up their spent shells. Farmers always requested dove hunters to pick up their shells because they screw up their combines or something. It was just common practice-also I reloaded my shells. As a hunter I was always struck by the trash left by the populace at large. Admittedly I am from a different era-when sportsmen were environmentalist and nurtured the planet. Now Jimbo jumps in truck with a six pack and off to the deer woods. I can tell you from personal experience a drunk hunter is not a reasonable person to try and deal with-especially when the fool is waving a gun.

standtall
standtall 11/21/08 - 09:50 am
Some people are just slobs.

Some people are just slobs. If you bring something into the woods take it with you when you go.

aftbrn
aftbrn 11/21/08 - 10:28 am
Asking if they would leave it

Asking if they would leave it in their from yard is a silly question. Yes, of course they would. All sport fisherman that I know work extra hard not to leave anything behind as we don't want to see the trash either. It's those bank fishermen, who are fishing to feed themselves that I have noticed who usually leave stuff behind. Almost like marking their territory, when i most cases they are trespassing to begin with.

1trugent
1trugent 11/21/08 - 11:46 am
"Take nothing but pictures

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints," a very good motto for the outdoorsman in us all.

MyTake
MyTake 11/21/08 - 12:48 pm
aftrbrn, sad but true.

aftrbrn, sad but true. Anywhere you see "sportsmen" hang out along the shoreline of a river or lake, you see the trash. Just look at the Mayors Fishin' Hole out by Phinizy Swamp. Its all bait cups, coke bottles, old line and bobbers, fast food packaging, and jillions of cigarette butts. What the heck! Even if the trash barrels are always overflowing, a smart guy picks up after himself just to make sure he won't be run off the next time.

wribbs
wribbs 11/21/08 - 04:54 pm
Well said and I totally

Well said and I totally agree. When me and my buddies go camping on the Ogeechee River we take pride in the fact that you can't even tell we were there when we pack up and leave. We have even picked up others peoples trash as we traveled the river.

It's also the same ones that complain that land owners won't let them hunt, fish, etc. on their land that leave the biggest mess.