Georgia glad to leave Kentucky with a win

LEXINGTON, Ky. --- Georgia wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi stood on the sideline after fumbling for the second time in the fourth quarter against Kentucky and tried to give himself a little pep talk.

"You just have to have a short memory after that," Massaquoi said. "I knew I had to keep my composure."

Massaquoi atoned for the miscues with a 78-yard reception that set up the game- winning touchdown in the then 14th-ranked Bulldogs' 42-38 win, a victory that helped keep the preseason No. 1's disappointing fall from teetering on collapse.

"It wasn't a perfect game," said defensive end Demarcus Dobbs, whose interception with 46 seconds left ended Kentucky's last chance at pulling the upset.

The Bulldogs (8-2, 5-2 Southeastern Conference) were hardly dominant against the inspired Wildcats (6-4, 2-4), but a week after an embarrassing loss to Florida, Georgia coach Mark Richt knew he didn't have room to be picky.

"These kinds of victories aren't so bad," Richt said.

Massaquoi did a little soul-searching on the bench after his second fumble in a five-minute span gave the Wildcats another opportunity to knock off Georgia for the second time in three years.

"The protection broke down and he started scrambling late and I wasn't real happy there initially," Richt said of quarterback Matthew Stafford, who threw for a career-high 376 yards. "But when I saw the results, I was thinking the kid's a genius."

So, in a way, was Massaquoi, whose mental toughness helped the Bulldogs avoid disaster.

"To (Massaquoi), a chance to redeem himself was such a blessing for that kid," Richt said. "I'm sure he would have forgiven himself one day, but it would have taken a long time."

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 11/10/08 - 04:41 am
Okay, I'll go ahead and say

Okay, I'll go ahead and say it before all the obnoxious Gator and Carolina fans get on here...Georgia is just not a very good football team right now. Georgia isn't the team we thought they were at the beginning of the season...and no, I'm not talking about all that #1 stuff either. Not sure what the problem is...coaching?, chemistry?, fundamentals? something psychological?...I don't know. Losing multiple skilled lineman, on both sides of the ball is CERTAINLY one of the biggest reasons! But, I tell you what, Georgia has still only lost 2 games this season, so there's still a good chance to win with a very good record, one that alot of other schools would love to have right now. Still love those Dawgs!

CanDawgsDoMath
CanDawgsDoMath 11/10/08 - 06:48 am
Justy....the first sincere

Justy....the first sincere response from a dog fan in a long while, if ever. Must abstain from stirring the pot just for fun to get yalls reactions. Way to go! However, "These kinds of victories aren't so bad," Richt said. Someone needs to have a talk with Richt on a coach. He must be desparately seeking some help.

ugadawgbite
ugadawgbite 11/10/08 - 07:58 am
I ask this what would you

I ask this what would you rather have close wins or a record like vandy(5-4)?

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 11/10/08 - 09:07 am
I love my DAWGS! OK. Perhaps

I love my DAWGS! OK. Perhaps we never should have been chosen as preseason #1. WE have 2 really ugly losses and 2 really ugly wins. In most cases if you pass a test with 11 right & only 2 wrong, you did pretty darn good. Unfortunately in college football that record spells doom & gloom for that season in the SEC. Of course I will continue to pull for my DAWGS first, but I certainly wil and hope all SEC fans will join me in pulling really hard for BAMA and the GATORS for the rest of this season. We can always hate each other again next year. GO DAWGS!!!

Fed UP with MCG
Fed UP with MCG 11/10/08 - 12:41 pm
I.m proud of Vandy frankly I

I.m proud of Vandy frankly I am glad that no one was seriously hurt at all in the entire SEC. I am a Dawg fan and well always be one but, you have to admit Vandy came close except this weekend to give all of us a run for the money.

steve-o
steve-o 11/10/08 - 01:30 pm
The pre-season ranking was

The pre-season ranking was because at the end of the season last year, we were, without question, the best team in the country. We ended last year ranked number 2 in the nation and whipped up on hawaii in the sUGAr bowl. Going into this year, we were very strong, but we lost three of our best linemen before the real tests had begun. We still will probably finish the season 11-2, remain in the top ten, and get a decent bowl game. Not what we had hoped for, but better than most teams in the country. Gooooooooooo DAWGS!!!!!!!

ugadawgbite
ugadawgbite 11/10/08 - 02:01 pm
Fed up with MCG, that has to

Fed up with MCG, that has to be the best nickname I've seen in here yet...

CanDawgsDoMath
CanDawgsDoMath 11/11/08 - 05:20 am
dawgqueen.....i admit a close

dawgqueen.....i admit a close win is better than a bama bash or a gator feist.....and even a close competitive loss.....but whre was yalls number one defense, i thought the off line was the one injured. Yea gators are good......but hey we lost to them by 11 total pts less than the dawgs....yea, they probably put in scrubs, but i remember the second string qb playing against dawgs at the end.....and maybe they liked us vandy fans cause we don't do idiotic stuff like wearing black, oops thats our colors, or doing the STOMP> no wonder people hate dawgs and fans.

CanDawgsDoMath
CanDawgsDoMath 11/11/08 - 07:52 am
steve-o the dawgs always

steve-o the dawgs always try to find consolation in a season when the fans can't back up their original trash talk.

ugadawgbite
ugadawgbite 11/11/08 - 09:49 am
crusty stop writing on this

crusty stop writing on this page, your none use of english confuses everyone. They make software called rosetta stone, look into it please!

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/11/08 - 12:54 pm
Oh great, a vandy fan talking

Oh great, a vandy fan talking trash.

CanDawgsDoMath
CanDawgsDoMath 11/11/08 - 05:26 pm
your none use of english

your none use of english confuses look whose talking dawgqueen.....what is none use. lol.

CanDawgsDoMath
CanDawgsDoMath 11/11/08 - 05:29 pm
justthefacts.....it is a

justthefacts.....it is a reflection on how unsuccessful the dawg season has been given their beginning of the season taunts and braggs.....it is sad that yall are just a step above the average commodores.....don't get cocky; am a far better athlete than any of you dog fans have ever been. Ever been in the world championship athletic event?

Turkeys get taste of own medicine

I got up and out of my sickbed so I could write this column because it’s time for the annual Turkey of the Year awards, the highlight of the holiday season.