Let's teach children about character

I write this letter the day of the election. It's early, and I don't know what the results will be. But I felt compelled to write this to the CSRA community because my heart is very heavy.

During a discussion in my 7-year-old son's classroom, the issue of the election came up. The teacher allowed the children to share ideas, as should be allowed in this free country of ours. What pains me is that one of the little girls in the class announced to the entire class that her parents would not be voting for Barack Obama because her mother said that "we have never had a black president, and it would be too weird to have one."

While I am not naÃve enough to think that this wasn't one of the most divisive political races in our history, I do think that parents of young children should have more tact and common sense than to express such biased and negative views in their presence.

I am trying to teach my own children to judge others on the content of their character and not simply what color one's skin happens to be.

I hope that educated and enlightened parents will do the same, so that when a woman becomes president, a Chinese-American, a Hispanic, or any other "minority," it won't be quite so "weird."

Voltrina Williams-Hawes, Grovetown

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 11/10/08 - 05:14 am
Augusta will be a better

Augusta will be a better place when we have more people with Trina Hawes' character in it.

christian134
christian134 11/10/08 - 06:06 am
Unfortunately this encounter

Unfortunately this encounter was and still is a two-sided street...This is not a new instance but one that has been in the works for many many years...Now maybe something can be done positively since race is no longer the excuse for people's violent or disruptive behaviors...As I have stated before people are going to have to take responsibility for their own actions without having the crutch of their race to support them...This is a change that I can support...

myobgdi
myobgdi 11/10/08 - 06:48 am
Martin Luther King's dream of

Martin Luther King's dream of a day when people "will be judged not but the color of their skin but by the content of their character" is still coming. Obama was elected because of the color of his skin, DESPITE the content of his character.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 11/10/08 - 08:21 am
All Americans would like to

All Americans would like to be judged by the content of their character and not the color of their.....skin, hair, clothes, language or geographic location. However, this country is made up of humans. Most, not very smart. We're a long way from a perfect world. However, come Jan. 21, all will change.

christian134
christian134 11/10/08 - 08:38 am
That is what "they" keep

That is what "they" keep saying...So it must be so...Change is coming...No more racial divide, no more nothing...:-) Just good hard working honest people who refuse handouts and seek to build a life for themselves and their families...I can't wait for Jan. 21st...

wm.strickland
wm.strickland 11/10/08 - 09:13 am
Ms. Williams-Hawes, Thank

Ms. Williams-Hawes, Thank you.

karmakills123
karmakills123 11/10/08 - 09:30 am
I believe barry's "change"

I believe barry's "change" has been put on hold...LOL surprised?

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 11/10/08 - 09:48 am
First impressions will always

First impressions will always be a part of how we perceive others. Learning one's character comes from facts about their past, their beliefs, their religion, how they treat others, decisions they have made and admitting those decisions may have been wrong. We were not given this opportunity about President Elect Obama. He hid things quite well and any remark he made that proved to be unpopular was taken out of context. We do know he referred to his grand mother as a typical white woman. We also know that his wife introduced him as her baby's daddy. WE know that his religious mentor of 20 years said Not God Bless America, but God #$@% America. I sincerely hope he proves to be a man of good character and a great leader. God knows we need one. But, first impressions aren't real good.

disssman
disssman 11/10/08 - 09:59 am
No wonder our education

No wonder our education system is last in the nation in this area. Are you telling me that kids in 1st or 2d grade didn't have anything better to do than talk politics? How about reading, spelling, arithmetics, do they discuss those subjects, or they something the kids woll get later down the road? I do agree with the thoughts of Ms. Hawes about people getting together with their kids and teaching them to respect other people. Kinda wish someone had taught that to the punks running up and down the street with baboom,baboom, baboom comming out of their rust buckets. But you know what, mommy and daddy let their kids sit in the drive way doing it, so I guess they don't care what their kids are doing as long as the kid is happy.

jeelmy
jeelmy 11/10/08 - 10:04 am
The Deliberate Dumbing Down

The Deliberate Dumbing Down Of America is taking the effect it was intended to take. This is a sinister approach for us to be governed by the top 1% elitists. Read also about the Trilateral Commission. We have been "dumbing down" for my entire 60 years, and perhaps longer. Voltrina - don't take my word for this-check it out for yourself. You need only to read the preface to understand the more sinister objectives of what has happened.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 11/10/08 - 10:10 am
First of all I would take

First of all I would take what any 7 year old tells me with a grain of salt. However I am sure that their are parents on all sides that would or would not vote for a particular candidate based on sex, race, religion or body appearances. That's the beauty of America. You have the right to be ignorant at least to a certain degree.

shamrock
shamrock 11/10/08 - 10:30 am
Politics should not even be

Politics should not even be discussed with seven-year olds in a classrom. Learn to read, write, spell, add, subtract and play nice with your classmates ... THEN worry about politics!

truthisouttherestill
truthisouttherestill 11/10/08 - 10:34 am
the education of children by

the education of children by parent(s) has to be done by all races and should not be left up to the schools......it does no good for one race parent to teach their children that god created everyone different and that is ok if the other races children are just going to call them nasty names and not allow them to play with them because they are not of the same race

dani
dani 11/10/08 - 11:05 am
I wonder if Ms Hawes was in

I wonder if Ms Hawes was in the classroom when the child said those words. To make such an exact quote she surely didn't get it from her 7 year old (or perhaps her child is older). I smell a rat here.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 11/10/08 - 11:16 am
Children hear what they want

Children hear what they want to hear and parents hear what they want to hear. The exact same words have different meanings to parents and children, then they are extrapolated within the mind. When relayed, it's the extrapolation that's remembered. (does anyone remember basic psychology?)

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/10/08 - 11:27 am
Dani, my thoughts exactly.

Dani, my thoughts exactly. Although, that sort of thinking does exist. Not sure about this letter.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 11/10/08 - 12:35 pm
Comments like this are made

Comments like this are made by parents of every race. But not by all parents. A black friend of my children's and I overheard our neighbor telling her children, "I better not catch you playing with those white children (she didn't and still doesn't know we are mixed race), they will HANG you!" My children's black friend was appalled that she said this and he talked it over with me, thankfully. Teaching her children this is child abuse. No wonder we have distrust and fear between races. Sadly, it's not just some white parents making prejudiced statements like the one in the letter. No race should be teaching children prejudice. You would think that those who have suffered from prejudice so much would be less inclined to spew it.

allsmiles
allsmiles 11/10/08 - 01:47 pm
my child is 7 and they

my child is 7 and they discussed the election in class, which happened to coincide with their social studies lesson about democray and other forms of government. i don't find it hard to believe a child made this comment, they only repeat what they hear.

gagirl40
gagirl40 11/10/08 - 02:36 pm
IPUTT4, Myobgdi...It's

IPUTT4, Myobgdi...It's hilarious to me how people talk about "Character", as if McCain has it and Obama doesn't. McCain's character? The Keating Five Scandal and his close relationship to Charles Keating. He ran around on his wife of 15 years because she "wasn't the girl he married" after suffering disfiguring injuries in a near fatal car accident and then he filed for a marriage license to a girl 23 years younger than he was BEFORE his divorce was final. He reversed himself on every major issue to win over the religious right in order to win an election. Was being a POW his "choice"? No, so how can you say he is a man of fine Character just because he was shot down and captured? The "choices" he has made in his life tell a lot about his character, and most of those tell a story of a man who will do anything to promote his own self interests. That to me shows no character at all! Obama's character? He worked for community organizations instead of working for a big time law firm when he graduated from law school. He has been married to the same woman for 16 years and nobody has ever accused him of running around. And he, like many of us, has known people who have disappointed him.

Farful
Farful 11/10/08 - 03:17 pm
For God's sake, they are

For God's sake, they are children repeating what they hear at home and at school. Obviously, all parents aren't as "educated and enlightened" as you Ms. Hawes. What you teach your children is your business and what other people teach their children is theirs.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 11/10/08 - 03:40 pm
gagirl40 Hi. Haven't seen

gagirl40 Hi. Haven't seen you here before. If you will kindly reread mypost you will find that I never mentioned McCain or his character. I only responded to the LTE and because of the comment about a president of color, I talked about Obama. I do not dispute any of the things you said about McCain even though an investigation headed by Democrats cleared Senator McCain of any wrong doing in the Keating scandal. I served in Viet Nam and came home to find it difficult to be a good husband for a while. I can only imagine what 5 years of imprisonment & torture might do to a man. I wonder how many failed marriages occured after POW's returned home. Did you wish to offer any defense of Obama based on my comments? Or was your only goal to attack someone who was not even mentioned in the LTE?....Mam....

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/10/08 - 04:17 pm
14Putt, how do you rate

14Putt, how do you rate Stafford's TD pass to Green? I think out side of the Michael Johnson pass (Auburn 06), it might have been the best play he has ever had.

corgimom
corgimom 11/10/08 - 05:07 pm
You don't know the context of

You don't know the context of the conversation. They could've told the child that rather than get into their reasons- which may be too complex for the child to understand- or because maybe they know their child repeats everything. And it works both ways, I had a child tell me "My mommy says she's voting for Obama because he's black." We also had a child tell the class, when asked what parents did on Tuesday that was special, and one child raised his hand and said "They went to the bar!"

bone
bone 11/10/08 - 06:02 pm
amazing pass, justthefacts -

amazing pass, justthefacts - only player doing better in the south now is matt ryan.

workingmom
workingmom 11/10/08 - 08:11 pm
Parents would be shocked to

Parents would be shocked to hear what children repeat (or share) at school. I heard a comment the day after the election that made my jaw drop open. I found myself defending the candidate I did not vote for to teach a quick lesson on right and wrong. It reminded me of the saying..."out of the mouths of babes...".

voltrinahawes
voltrinahawes 11/16/08 - 04:50 pm
I just wanted to thank

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments on my editorial. Some of you missed the point and changed this into a political discussion. Some of those same folks ASSUMED they know who I voted for. I find that quite amusing. The point of my editorial is not to discuss politics, but rather to talk about how we should raise our children to see past things as insignificant as skin color. Oh and by the way... Dani and Just the Facts, of course I consulted with my child's teacher before writing this letter to the editor. I wanted to make sure what my seven year old told me was, in fact, accurate. It was. And to Ghtty, you don't have to be "as educated and enlightened as me" not to be teach children ignorance. It IS my business (as well as yours)because what our children hear and learn from us will have an impact on everyone's future.