Gun store's Obama ad stirs trouble

HULL, Ga. --- A gun shop that used Barack Obama's name to hawk weapons has backed down, saying the message was meant to champion gun rights, not threaten violence.

Georgia Outdoor Sports owner Carrie Mentel said she advertised an "Obama sale!" -- on "Guns Ammo Archery" -- outside her Hull store Wednesday morning because firearms enthusiasts are worried the Democrat will step on their Second Amendment right to bear arms.

But some passing motorists interpreted the sign as a call for violence against the country's first black president.

After receiving complaints, Ms. Mentel on Thursday arranged new letters on the sign, instead urging potential customers to "Support the 2nd Amendment."

"It's a bad choice of wording," Ms. Mentel said of the original message.

Athens resident Shannon Foley was on her way home from Danielsville on Wednesday when she and her two children noticed Mr. Obama's name on the sign.

"My assumption was that it had to do with gun control laws, but it could be very easily misconstrued and hurtful," said Ms. Foley, a stay-at-home mom.

When she got home, Ms. Foley asked fellow members of a local parenting group to call the shop to ask owners to change the sign.

Georgia Outdoor Sports' owners were trying to use "a little bit of humor" to increase sales and bring attention to a serious issue affecting their livelihood, Ms. Mentel said.

But the specter of race in the election -- and reports of threats made against Mr. Obama's life recently -- made the gun sale's message far from a laughing matter, Ms. Foley said.

"I didn't vote for Barack Obama -- for me it wasn't a political jab," she said. "We don't have a real good history (in Georgia) when it comes to violence against blacks." Some of the complaints Ms. Mentel received mentioned the racial overtones, but she denied any racist intent.

Firearms dealers across the country are reporting increased sales since the beginning of the election season, and especially since it became clear weeks ago that Obama was the front-runner.

"The last three weeks, it's really started to go through the roof," said Josh Smith, of Clyde Armory, a gun and law enforcement supply shop west of Athens.

RUSH FOR GUNS

Gun enthusiasts nationwide are stocking up on firearms out of fears that the combination of an Obama administration and a Democrat-dominated Congress will result in tough gun laws.

Last month, there were more than 108,000 more background checks for gun purchases than in October 2007, a 15 percent increase. They were up about 8 percent for the year as of Oct. 26, according to the FBI. No data were available for gun purchases this week.

Barack Obama has said he favors "common sense" gun laws.

-- Associated Press

wildman
wildman 11/08/08 - 06:58 am
Give me a break! If you say

Give me a break! If you say anything negative about BO you are considered a racist. This dude is going to throw the baby out with the bath water. I can't say JM would have done much better, get back in four years.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 11/08/08 - 07:38 am
Uncle BS is right, Obama

Uncle BS is right, Obama didn't complain about the sign.

_iamabadamerican
_iamabadamerican 11/08/08 - 08:21 am
If I were the store owner, I

If I were the store owner, I would have told the "politically correct" [filtered word]s where they could deposit their complaints.

eric stoner
eric stoner 11/08/08 - 08:57 am
I guess the crazies are all

I guess the crazies are all out shopping for new assault weapons for "hunting".

ladybug2
ladybug2 11/08/08 - 09:34 am
red necks

red necks

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 11/08/08 - 09:50 am
No doubt... perhaps you

No doubt... perhaps you people should look up President Elect Obama's views on guns. He doesn't want to take your hunting rifles or standard handguns. He would like to get rid of semi-automatic weapons which are only designed to kill PEOPLE not animals. He'd also like to make gun manufacturing companies and retailers responsible for ensuring that the proper background checks are being done and being done RIGHT.

sjgraci
sjgraci 11/08/08 - 10:46 am
President-Elect Obama was

President-Elect Obama was correct about the nuts being "bitter".

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 11:42 am
sigraci, Maybe you and him

sigraci, Maybe you and him should stop eating Nuts.

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 11:51 am
eric stoner, Some people call

eric stoner, Some people call it "plinking". Just shooting guns at tin cans bring some people enjoyment. Not that they mind your having "spinners" and "Thumping" contests with your stereos. I believe if you look hard enough, you can see more sporadic gunfire at your get togethers than at any gun shows. It Has to do with responsibility, Driveby.

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 11:52 am
ladybug, we "Red Necks" are

ladybug, we "Red Necks" are proud of our nickname. Aren't you proud of yours?

God save America
God save America 11/08/08 - 12:00 pm
well it scares people when

well it scares people when they are told that they have to register their guns . when did obama say the only guns he wanted to get rid of were assault weapons. i would like to see assault weapons gone also. but some hunting guns can be both single shot or semi-automatic . a national security force that obama is talking about scares people. we have the national guard , army reserve ,and the army why do we need another security force. i heard the dem. say that some of our rights need to be controlled by the goverment i don't think so.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 11/08/08 - 12:17 pm
If you would have actually

If you would have actually looked up the facts (even the Augusta Chronicle had the candidates views listed for a while!!) you would know what his views were. If you need a semi-automatic weapon to kill a deer or squirrel then maybe you need a new hobby- because you suck at hunting!!!!!

bone
bone 11/08/08 - 12:26 pm
the nuts are bitter now; once

the nuts are bitter now; once the nuts have their guns and a larger chunk of wages taken away, they'll just be sad.

ladybug2
ladybug2 11/08/08 - 12:37 pm
Actually I am. It was given

Actually I am. It was given to me by a friend in high school. Get over it already. Obama is the president, and if you don't like it then I guess that's just too bad. Have a lovely day!

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 11/08/08 - 01:45 pm
stoner....I have an AK-47,

stoner....I have an AK-47, and I don't use it for hunting. The second amendment isn't about hunting, it's about defending yourself. It's not about defending yourself from some lone house intruder either, it's about defending yourself against the Government. I get fed up with those who say "why do you NEED an assault weapon?" My answer, is "what kind of car do you drive?" A Yugo will get you where you want to go, so why do you have more? Why? Because you WANT it. I think you need to watch this video. ---- http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4069761537893819675&pr=goog-

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 11/08/08 - 02:12 pm
Get used to it. Anyone that

Get used to it. Anyone that doesn't buy the whole Obama marxism spiel will be spoken of as a hate filled racist. Anyone that comes across as independent or responsible will be a hate filled racist. Anyone that doesn't learn his place soon and remain in it will be a hate filled racist.. This is just the beginning. It will be the rule of law soon. Obama will fix everyone that doesn't agree. Free America may have disappeared Nov 4th, 2008. The Warsaw Getto isn't just in our past, it may well be in our future, too.

ispeakadatruth
ispeakadatruth 11/08/08 - 02:21 pm
uh oh...here come all the

uh oh...here come all the anti gun whiners. we should only own guns if they are used for hunting. thank you for all your wisdom. dumb f***'s!

mable8
mable8 11/08/08 - 02:46 pm
It isn't just the Second

It isn't just the Second Amendment, it's also the First Amendment that we need to be concerned about. Anytime someone is negative towards Obama, they are told they can no longer speak out...if you watched how Obama treated Joe W. (the plumber) and the reporters who disagreed with him, you have an inkling about what the next 4 years are going to be like. Obama is a dictator trying to be presidential.

owensjef2
owensjef2 11/08/08 - 03:02 pm
Oh shut up!

Oh shut up!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 11/08/08 - 03:09 pm
LOL oj2, that's what we're

LOL oj2, that's what we're talking about.

thistownisunbelievable
thistownisunbelievable 11/08/08 - 03:17 pm
Truck you have no idea what

Truck you have no idea what you are talking about. Should we only be able to purchase things you think we need? I don't need (or want) your permission to defend myself or to buy the tools to do so. Why are you so afraid of people having freedom?

jack
jack 11/08/08 - 03:40 pm
ladybug, red neck y azz. I

ladybug, red neck y azz. I collect guns and am one of those afraid BO is going to try and restrict ownership of guns and ammo. His voting record speaks for itself.

jack
jack 11/08/08 - 03:43 pm
Truckin, how about not

Truckin, how about not spewing your ignorant crap. It ain't the gun manufacturers that do the back ground check, it is the retailer who has a Federal Firearms License (FFL). As for semiautomatic guns, semi's are the choice of many hunters for both rifles and shot guns as well as pistols for self protection. Seems you're pretty ignorant about hunting as well. I used to get at least two quail on the rise and sometimes two dove when a flock passed over with my semi.. BTW, you don't always hit a deer on the run with your first shot. Ignorant azz.

stevie ray
stevie ray 11/08/08 - 04:00 pm
So...if Obama were white, the

So...if Obama were white, the signs would have been ok? Black on black crime is the worst on record and because a gun store that legally sells firearms to anybody makes a joke...they are the bad guy because of race? I get it...no, I don't. if the sign read Mccain Sale, noone would be saying a word.

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 06:19 pm
I keep telling you people,

I keep telling you people, the DEMs are Communist based. The American Communist Party disbanded in 1929. And the Democratic Party that we know now formed in 1929. You can cling to that white cane if you want to. If you look at history since 1929, and you have to know what you're looking for, you will discover the truth. They said that the Governments of Australia and England couldn't take their guns away either. Good Luck with that one. You will only feel pressure when the noose draws taught, until then you're free.

chad6401
chad6401 11/08/08 - 07:24 pm
The law abiding citizens are

The law abiding citizens are jumping through the hoops to purchase these weapons legally, it's the thugs in the street that buys theirs out of the back of a car why make it harder on the ones following the laws, Simple Make the punishment so severe that using a gun in a crime is not worth it. A weapon is a weapon, weather single, semi, or automatic makes no differance. To this day i have never seen a weapon all by itself kill some one, it takes the fool behind the trigger to do it. First it will be guns then the next thing it will be bows and arrows taken away. If we give a little they will take a Mile.

_iamabadamerican
_iamabadamerican 11/08/08 - 09:18 pm
It is my gun, any of you

It is my gun, any of you posters like to "take" it?

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 11/08/08 - 10:20 pm
Thank you sister Abdullah.

Thank you sister Abdullah. Something similar happened at the Krystal's across from Rhodes Furniture on Wrightsboro Road (no longer there, it's Rooms to Go now), a man came in, leaned against the counter and shot the cashier dead, looked around, my family member was ducked under a table in the back, praying quietly for his life, and the man turned around, went home and committed suicide. This shook all of us, I had just dropped this family member off for coffee before working across the street. I saw a man with white shirt and black pants, leaning against the counter with his legs spread wide and something about him made those hairs on the back of my neck go up, but I kept on driving around the building. Something made me call to check that my family member got to work. He said, "why did you ask?" I said because the guy in there made me uneasy." He said, "how in the world did you know..." and then told me what happened. If anybody in there had had a gun, he probably wouldn't have had to commit suicide and probably wouldn't have had a chance to consider shooting anyone else that witnessed what happened.

soldout
soldout 11/09/08 - 12:06 am
After looking at the percent

After looking at the percent of white that voted Obama vs the percent black who voted Obama we now know for sure who is racist.

MtnMan
MtnMan 11/09/08 - 12:40 am
TUJEEZ I suggest you research

TUJEEZ I suggest you research the true meaning of the word "Redneck". You will find that is far from anything that describes the type of person you are.

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...