Boy's parents hope killer suffers

SUMTER, S.C. --- The parents of a 12-year-old shot to death while trick-or-treating said Monday they hope the man accused of killing him suffers for the rest of his life.

T.J. Darrisaw died Halloween night after police say a convicted felon unleashed a barrage of bullets from inside a home, pumping at least 29 shots through the closed door and front of the house. The boy's father and brother also were wounded.

"The injury to my arm is not as bad as the injury to my heart. I've lost a piece of my heart forever," father Freddie Grinnell Jr. said.

Police said the suspect, Quentin Patrick, 22, opened fire with an AK-47 because he thought he was being robbed. The family went to the home because the porch light was on, usually a signal that trick-or-treaters are welcome.

Two of three siblings who went to the door with their father were wearing ghoulish masks. Their parents said the slain boy was determined to get candy first, so he was in front when the shots were fired.

When the shooting stopped, Mr. Grinnell said, the door swung open. Mr. Patrick stood there, gun in hand, and said, "Oh, no."

"I was holding my son while he was bleeding, and he was backing out of the yard," Mr. Grinnell recalled.

Mr. Patrick, who is charged with murder and three counts of assault and battery with intent to kill, was denied bond Monday. He cried and wiped away a tear as the charges were read. He did not enter a plea and a lawyer has not been assigned to his case yet.

Prosecutors have not said whether they will seek the death penalty, but the police chief in Sumter said she will recommend they do.

T.J.'s parents said they want Mr. Patrick to suffer for a lifetime behind bars.

Mr. Grinnell said he doesn't want an apology.

" 'I'm sorry' does not bring my child back," he said. "I want justice."

Debster
Debster 11/04/08 - 08:26 am
My heart aches for the

My heart aches for the Grinnell family. What should have been an evening of fun turned into a night they will never forget. May justice truly be served on Quentin Patrick for taking this young man's life.

Newsreader
Newsreader 11/04/08 - 08:35 am
The only justice would be a

The only justice would be a speedy trial and fast implementation of a death sentence. I greive for T.J.'s family.

klsm
klsm 11/04/08 - 08:56 am
I have no love loss for Mr.

I have no love loss for Mr. Patrick, who is apparently a drug dealer of some sort. Who has $7,500.00 just sitting around their house and their guest runs with it and leaves their two year old child? However, has anyone but me stopped to wonder what parents in their right mind would stop on Halloween night, which fell on a Friday night this year, at a house when they are not in their own neighborhood, where they are familiar with their surroundings, just because a light is on? Something in this story just doesn't ring completely true to me. Maybe these parents should stop talking to the press about hoping someone suffers and take a little responsibility for their stupid choice. And a Christian does not hope for the suffering of anyone.

onlynaugusta
onlynaugusta 11/04/08 - 10:23 am
Kill him and kill him quick.

Kill him and kill him quick. This will be less money taxpayers will have to pay for room and board for an idot. The longer he stays in the system the more time it gives him to claim he's insane and never remembers shooting an innocent child. Next, he's back on the streets repeating the same type of violent acts. No court needs time to think about this trial. Sitting in jail allows him to live while he as taken the life of someone else.

peppernik
peppernik 11/04/08 - 01:11 pm
klsm, you're an idiot!

klsm, you're an idiot!

savoy_savoy
savoy_savoy 11/04/08 - 02:27 pm
klsm: You are stupid as

klsm: You are stupid as hell!!! And think about that before you even bother to reply...maybe then you'll reply with a sensible remark.

klsm
klsm 11/04/08 - 04:56 pm
I do not need to justify my

I do not need to justify my response other than to say that when I click on certain names here who have left comments it seems to show that you seem to spend an awful lot of time on here judging other people and their comments. Your conclusion is always that your opinions are correct and everyone else is either an idiot or stupid. That suggest ignorance in itself that YOU are correct and no one else is entitled to an opinion of their own! Imagine that!

klsm
klsm 11/04/08 - 04:59 pm
I may be an idiot and/or

I may be an idiot and/or stupid, however, all three of my children are alive and well because I do not risk their lives by doing things that even an imbecile knows not to do! Like take my kids trick or treating to a house on the way back from a trip just because the porch light is on!!!!

klsm
klsm 11/04/08 - 05:02 pm
I am sure you two are the

I am sure you two are the ones who bring "all your babies" and drop them off in neighborhoods that you do not live in so they can reap the most benefits of the night.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 11/05/08 - 12:32 am
I won't call you an idiot. I

I won't call you an idiot. I do disagree with your statements. As citizens they should have the right to trick or treat in any neighborhood they want. This isn't about trick or treating anyway. This is about a convicted felon with a AK-47 assault rifle that opened fire on a unknown target. To blame the victim or his parents for this just means your are thoughtless. They could have easily stopped at a 7-11 that was being robbed. If they were shot then would you say they were to blame for not stopping at a different store? Or should they have not stopped at the store because it wasn't in their neighborhood? I hope nothing like this tragedy never happens to you. If it does I hope nobody is so heartless that they blame you for your child's death.

hisfaith2003
hisfaith2003 11/05/08 - 02:20 am
kism, it is easy to make

kism, it is easy to make statements like that when tragedy haven't come knocking on your door. Never say Never, And be careful of what you say, because what u say may come and bite you in the but... I am praying for that family, may they find peace someday... and Mr Patrick might have sorrow in his heart, but he should have thought about that before he tried to play rambo...to much TV. They say guns kill Mr Patrick... u didn't get the memo and guess what else a bullet don't care where it goes and who it hits....

savoy_savoy
savoy_savoy 11/05/08 - 02:41 pm
klsm: You are still STUPID as

klsm: You are still STUPID as hell...and I have 1 child...thanks again for proving my point that you are STUPID. And your 3 BABIES' are alive because it's not their time to die yet...however, no one knows the day or hour that the death angel will come...So with that being said, Miss Stupid, have a wonderful life and do the best you can with those short sighted views.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms