Bottom line: Halloween killing

Quentin Patrick apparently forgot it was Halloween. But he may have made himself into a monster anyway.

When trick-or-treaters knocked on his Sumter, S.C., house Friday night, the 22-year-old ex-convict allegedly emptied 30 rounds from an AK-47 through the door and wall, killing 12-year-old T.J. Darrisaw and wounding the youngster's father and 9-year-old brother.

Patrick allegedly thought he was being robbed, which he apparently was nearly a year ago.

But in truth, there is absolutely no excuse for what happened. Zero. And what in the world is an ex-convict doing with an AK-47 assault rifle?

So often, shooting victims did something to put themselves in harm's way. All little T.J. and his brother did was trick or treat. You can't find a more unalloyed tragedy than this one.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/04/08 - 06:11 am
I think I am about the only

I think I am about the only one who has questions about the murder charge against the man. First, I have no illusions about the man. He is an excon who was probably involved with narcotics from the cash found. He will do time for having the weapon, but he did not have malice aforethought to kill an innocent child. That's a necessary ingredient for a murder conviction. He had been robbed and shot in that same house. It was in a bad area and the father decided to stop and take his sons to that house after going to a party. Again it is tragic and the excon is a dirt bag, but legally not a murderer. Remember the Louisianna case a few years back where the home owner killed a kid on Halloween when the kid walked to a side door looking for a party and the homeowver in the garage grabbed his gun and killed the kid in the yard? He was found not guilty because he THOUGHT the kid was a robber.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 11/04/08 - 07:06 am
Oranges and apples with the

Oranges and apples with the Louisiana case and the Patrick killing, Riverman. When Patrick fired 30 rounds into his door, his intent was obvious. It had nothing to do with scaring off whoever was on the other side of the door. The act was aforethought since the illegal weapon was loaded and readily at hand. Nothing short of an insanity plea will save this creep.

christian134
christian134 11/04/08 - 07:27 am
This person knew exactly what

This person knew exactly what he was about that night...Anyone who picks up that type of weapon and sprays it out across a wall of his home to the outside knows what the results are going to be...This person was acting out what he has been programed to do which is to kill without thought to possible consequences...Human life for many of the youth as well as young adults does not mean "squat"...Now a child is dead, his family is left to mourn his loss and his defense will more than likely be the "fear for his life"...This was, in my opinion, a person who wanted to inflict as much damage as possible or he was just insane...But for all the 'what ifs' the question still remains...How did an ex con get his hands on this sort of weapon?

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 11/04/08 - 08:30 am
This is certainly a trajedy.

This is certainly a trajedy. Excon, possible drugs, unlawful possession of a weapon...all of this adds up to nothing good. Insanity is the only thing that may save this dirt bag from a murder conviction. Either way, we will be supporting this creep for a long time.

nailinpalin
nailinpalin 11/04/08 - 08:49 am
Gun laws would not have saved

Gun laws would not have saved this child. Considering Ak-47's are against the law anyway. Ex-Convict or not, he shouldn't have had the weapon. He needs to go away.

jack
jack 11/04/08 - 12:13 pm
RM, when did you becme a

RM, when did you becme a lawyer?

SumterMom
SumterMom 11/04/08 - 02:40 pm
I live in Sumter, and have

I live in Sumter, and have for many years, less than one mile from where that house is at, but they could be a million miles apart. That home is near a main streeway that separates a good housing area from a not-quite-so-good one. Not bad, mind you, but enough to say that I would have driven the extra mile or so to go into the more affluent area. Sumter is a very small town, and that area is a very old neighborhood, with 50 or so year old homes that face a large public cemetary mostly populated by elderly that have probably been there most of their lives. But the ones that AREN'T elderly tend to be lived in by the shadier elements of our town. Knowing as I do, I would have gone that extra two blocks and had my children trick or treat there. There were many, many houses in our subdivision that clearly displayed Halloween decorations and lights on to welcome any of the town's trick or treaters. I wouldn't have taken the chance if I were that family (not saying it was there fault in any way).Having said that, we all hope that the guy goes in front of his own townspeople, because I have heard no less than hoping he gets the electric chair... He is the scum of our town.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/04/08 - 03:49 pm
Jack, you would be surprised

Jack, you would be surprised the schools I've been to, but you're the former practicing lawyer. You know exactly what I mean about this case. Explain it to them. He no more meant to shoot an innocent kid than the guy in Louisianna did. Neither one THOUGHT they were shooting an innocent person. What throws this off is the shooter was such a scumbag. On a gut level, a full investigation is going to be interesting. Please folks, again a disclaimer because it was tragic, but legally you have to consider the mindset of the shooter. He had a bullet hole in him from a break-in about a year before. Plus, he was probably dealing drugs from that house and ready for trouble of any kind.

slmp
slmp 11/04/08 - 04:08 pm
If someone is going to rob

If someone is going to rob you, do they normally knock on the door? They normally knock the door down. He should have at least looked out the window to see who it was before coming with guns ablazing. He deserves what he gets!!! (the guy with the gun) It isn't safe for kids to trick or treat anymore.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/04/08 - 04:56 pm
Simp, are you sure it was a

Simp, are you sure it was a subdued trick or "treat or treat" knock at the door?

kk19299
kk19299 11/04/08 - 06:38 pm
The article said the kid

The article said the kid knocked. What are you questioning? The guy murdered an innocent kid and shouldn't have been able to get a gun but perhaps as most....he got it illegally and our gun programs failed!

SumterMom
SumterMom 11/05/08 - 02:57 am
Truthfully, isn't it

Truthfully, isn't it irrelevant WHAT his mindset was??? Because even if his mindset was that he would have been afraid that robbers are at the door, it still wouldn't be an issue if he didn't have the SEMIAUTOMATIC weapon (illegally kept by a convicted felon, don't forget) to begin with... It's that thing where you pick up the phone, dial 911 and ... ahmmm... sneak out the back door like the girlfriend was doing when the police pulled up (with her two year old and $7500 in cash)... Or at MINIMUM try to find out who it was... if he didn't care for the rest of the community, what if it had been his own relative's children. He no more thought of what was going on than anything. He shouldn't have had the gun.. And no "PTSD" disorder will work here. My own husband is retired military and he has been to war and been in battle. I am quite sure that if I suspected, even suspected he had PTSD, I would NOT let him have a semiautomatic weapon in the house, answering the door for trick or treaters coming to the door much less have him with one in the house with my two year old (if mine were that young anymore).....

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 11/05/08 - 03:05 am
This is why we need to bring

This is why we need to bring back the Assault Weapons Ban.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 11/05/08 - 03:07 am
Sumter is small? I don't

Sumter is small? I don't think so, SumterMom. Sumter has at least 30,000 people -- nearly ten times the size of Williston.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 11/05/08 - 05:11 am
Ok river I'll explain this

Ok river I'll explain this one more time. If you are in the commision of a felony and a death occurs you can be charged with murder. Let me give you an example. 2 guys rob a bank, they are confronted by the police on the way out and a shootout occurs. One of the robbers gets shot by the police and dies. Did you know that the other robber can be charged with murder because the death occured while he was in the commision of a felony? Hence where the murder charge in this case comes from.

Augusta EEO coordinator fired; HR director quits

More turnover at city hall with the Augusta Commission voting to fire Equal Employment Opportunity Coordinator Jacqueline Humphrey and to accept the resignation of Human Resources Director Tanika ...