Officers gear up with riot training

Deputies in Richmond and Columbia counties are preparing for any civil unrest or overexuberant celebrating that might take place after next week's presidential election, officials confirmed Monday.

Although they were quick to say that no problems are anticipated, authorities said as many as 60 deputies will undergo an eight-hour training course Thursday -- learning crowd control and disbursement techniques.

Richmond County sheriff's Col. Gary Powell said the department will not have deputies stationed at local polling centers Nov. 4, but they will be ready to respond if necessary.

"We just want to be prepared in case something does happen, but I don't really anticipate something here," Col. Powell said.

Since shortly after Sept. 11, 2001, the department has issued road patrol deputies riot gear, including gas masks, but most have not undergone "formalized training," Col. Powell said.

Law enforcement agencies across the nation are adding officers and riot-control units and are putting SWAT teams on standby.

A story published last week in The Hill , a leading newspaper for Congress and Capitol Hill, said authorities from cities including Detroit, Oakland, Philadelphia and Chicago -- Democratic candidate Barack Obama's hometown -- plan to deploy extra police. Many believe that some blacks would be angry if Mr. Obama loses, the article said.

It's something Mallory Millender, a longtime Paine College professor and community activist, said is not likely to happen unless there is the impression that the election was stolen from Mr. Obama.

"Otherwise I think there will be jubilation," Dr. Millender said. "I absolutely don't think there will be violence and disorder in a negative sense."

Capt. Steve Morris, a spokesman for the Columbia County Sheriff's Office, said that no matter which party wins the election, it will be an unprecedented event that requires added security.

"It will end in either the nation's first African-American president or the nation's first female vice president," Capt. Morris said. "It demands more preparation and a greater police presence."

His department will send about two-dozen of its Special Response Team deputies to train in Richmond County, he said.

Col. Powell said the biggest problem on Election Day might be the one they already have faced -- traffic. On Monday morning, advance voting traffic was a problem outside the Henry Brigham Center on Golden Camp Road as a large number of drivers entered and exited the parking lot.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

jack
jack 10/28/08 - 01:44 pm
My old HS school chum and

My old HS school chum and former Mayor of Macon knew how to prevent riots in the 60s, He issued automatic weapons and orders to shoot to kill anyone looting during a riot. There were none in Macon.

jack
jack 10/28/08 - 01:47 pm
topper, how about telling us

topper, how about telling us eactly how Bush stole the election in 2000. Spewing old DMI mantra won't work without proof.

jack
jack 10/28/08 - 01:53 pm
Bold, I would have voted for

Bold, I would have voted for a reputable black such as Walter Williams, JC Watt, et al, but not some Harvard educated, elitist socialist that wants to steal from me, even with the help of the Supreme Court, to give some lazy azzes that didn't go to school or are just too lazy to work but depend on a gubmunt NObama check.

jack
jack 10/28/08 - 01:59 pm
piperpig, seems the secret

piperpig, seems the secret service can't verify that anyone has yelled "kill him", or other such outcires about Nobama at Palin's speeches. Just another DIMocRAT manufactured lie.

jack
jack 10/28/08 - 02:05 pm
Yonce, what would you know

Yonce, what would you know about anyone with an IQ over 85 in tht yours doesn't come near that. Now go rattle those doors and check those locks that your boss pays you to do.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 10/28/08 - 02:17 pm
king... So McCain doesn't go

king... So McCain doesn't go to family reunions. My family doesn't go to family reunions because everyone is spread all over the country. Does that mean I have no respect for my family or don't want anything to do with them? Absolutely not. What a silly bunch of cr@p. Let's talk about NObama and his family who the media continue to ignore. (In less than a week we knew about the family of the VP candidate). Why is there no close friends of NObama being interviewed like they did with everyone in AK? Where are all the respected leaders that were close to NObama and worked with him like they interviewed that knew Sarah? Where is his family during this extraordinary time in his life? Why do they seem to ALL be non-existent? Where are the great press articles about his loving family?

KSL
KSL 10/28/08 - 02:18 pm
machine gun ronnie?

machine gun ronnie?

angiesdad
angiesdad 10/28/08 - 02:23 pm
jack since i know you work at

jack since i know you work at al's place, it reminded me of a joke leno told last night.he said"kev, times are so hard now it's not mac and cheese anymore,now they ask you mac or cheese.we sure could use some of that reagan cheese now! perhaps we could continue to eat potato chips like nancy said while she ate the food we bought for her and alzheimer ronnie.we knew we could count on you to go into "waco" mode and start shooting,just like mcsenile would do.that's why he won't get anywhere near that "nuclear football".the election is over hoss,you guys need to go into hiding,change your screen names and come back after the holidays.lifeisabeach,what do you expect black voters to do?we've had 43 prezs and 46 vps all white.why would a black vote for another white in this race?are you white?wouldn't you vote for a white if all the other prezs had been black?you don't know what minorities think or feel,neither do i.i don't blame them one bit.how much longer must they sit at the back of the bus?you say vote for the best candidate?what for your sake or theirs?

KingJames
KingJames 10/28/08 - 02:28 pm
Jack, I don't think that

Jack, I don't think that Obama is trying to steal from anyone. His ads are claiming that he will give more tax relief or refunds to the middle class than McCain. As for you thinking that people are too lazy and just want to depend on entitlements, well, a lot of those people actually want more out of life. I don't understand what makes so many people think that others truly enjoy living in bad neighborhoods and only off of a welfare check every month. It's not that much money and the life is not that grand. Granted, these people should work and stop procreating so much. But, to make it sound as if they are living the good life is crazy. I won't pretend to understand why so many people don't choose to try to better themselves, but how they have chosen to live isn't the bed of roses you make it out to be. I agree that taxpayer money could be spent more wisely if there weren't so many low income folks on assistance. If you really want to do something about it, convince those on assistance to do something to help themselves. If you don't agree with Obama, and if he becomes president, and you still save more than McCain promised, send the money back to the "gubmunt."

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 10/28/08 - 02:43 pm
JACK, back in the 60's the

JACK, back in the 60's the Mayor of Macon was more than likely the only on with a machine gun in Macon. Be Careful what you ask for.

KingJames
KingJames 10/28/08 - 02:45 pm
Jack, at least you seem to

Jack, at least you seem to admit to your family tree and the reason you may or may not go to the reunions. McCain doesn't seem to even want to acknowledge his mixed race and extended family members. Maybe it is because they are not bourgeoisie enough? Many of them are, afterall, just poor folks in a small town in Mississippi that he doesn't speak of. But some of them have moved on and done well for themselves. As for Palin's family, well, no one knew anything about her at all so there were bound to be questions about her family. Obama's closest family members are either dead or dying. However, he has acknowledged them by telling his story only to have many think that it was playing the "race card." I mean, many of you swore he was really going to Hawaii to generate some kind of fake birth certificate when he was really going to be by his ailing grandmother's bedside. C'mon, man. There's his family right there.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 10/28/08 - 02:47 pm
The first of this month I was

The first of this month I was in the grocery store and overheard 2 women talking. One said to the other,"all I have to do is have babies and cash my checks". Her buggy had crab legs and a whole rib eye loin in it. When she went to pay she used 2 different EBT cards. When she went into the parking lot she passed the rib eye loin into a vehicle and recieved cash for it, then returned to the store to buy beer and cigarettes with the cash. This is becoming so commonplace people are trying to overlook it to keep from blowing their top.

KingJames
KingJames 10/28/08 - 02:54 pm
ColdBeer, you sure had a lot

ColdBeer, you sure had a lot of time on your hands to follow that woman around like that. You should be careful. You never know if the next woman you follow like that will be as kind. She might just turn around and start a riot or something. But seriously, abuse happens everywhere. Just ask Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska about getting favors.

godbeeaug
godbeeaug 10/28/08 - 02:55 pm
No Riot or riot control can

No Riot or riot control can stop Gods work!

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 10/28/08 - 02:57 pm
Why should some choose to

Why should some choose to better themselves off the backs of others while doing nothing for themselves. And if you don't agree with NObama, and if he becomes president, and you don't save more than McCain promised, what happens then? Where is the attitude that you work hard, you improve your lot and in time you are able to purchase items as you go. Why do some feel they SHOULD have what others have worked hard to eventually have? Everything takes time and hard work. Why should some work hard and give what they have to others that don't? The dims continue to be where they are by voting for dims that keep them down while continuing to have their voter base. The more you get from the "gubmunt", the more you want and think you deserve. That's the dim mentality.

KingJames
KingJames 10/28/08 - 03:12 pm
Converted, I'm confused at

Converted, I'm confused at your opening statement. "Why should some choose to better themselves off the backs of others while doing nothing for themselves." Let me explain what I think bettering oneself means. It means getting an education, a good job, and earning your way through life so that others can't say that you are living off of the backs of others. They should choose to better themselves because their lives that you think you pay for really isn't filled with riches untold. I already said I don't know why some people choose not to do better. If you can come up with a solution, then by all means state it. Otherwise, ranting about the problem does nothing to solve it. If Obama does become president and we don't save more than McCain promised then we do what Americans have always done. We deal with it for 4 years and then elect a new president.

na_bboy
na_bboy 10/28/08 - 03:13 pm
Coldbeer that ticks me off as

Coldbeer that ticks me off as well to see slackers abusing priviledges that others so desperately need, but so does gas gauging, as well as wall street theft. I could be wrong, but I really don't think most of the people who are commenting on this site make over 250,000 dollars a year, definitely not here in Augusta, GA. I'll be voting for Obama because for a middle class American like myself his platform is more suitable to the needs of my family and community. Stay focused, this isn't really about the adults, its really about our kids and their kids!!!
If you're buying into the race propaganda, you're really missing the big point, get out the matrix while you can, and lets all try to use reason.

KingJames
KingJames 10/28/08 - 03:16 pm
Ding, ding! The runner up

Ding, ding! The runner up for the common sense award of the day goes to na_bboy. I co-sign your 3:13 post.

disssman
disssman 10/28/08 - 03:20 pm
coldbeer....... You and

coldbeer....... You and people like you ares so fixated on the little old woman getting a couple of bucks, that you don't see the big guys rapeing your tax deposits. For instance just look at the city budget and tell me what some of the organizations getting hundreds of thousands are doing with it! But no, to you they deserve it, because the thousands they get are not as important as the couple of bucks a little old woman gets on welfare. By the way there is no such thing as "food stamps" anymore, although most of your friends still refer to the term. Corporate america convinced your leaders that a credit card would be less costly to the store. But, I don't hear you complaining about the store being a co-conspirator in the supposed fraud of the tax payer. In any event I am concerned just like you. Next thing we know, we will be paying for politicians family members to go on vacation, just like little Sarah. By the way those little trips for the kids would have paid a woman on welfare for about 12 1/2 years.

110408Historicalday
110408Historicalday 10/28/08 - 03:21 pm
coldbeer, I dont know if you

coldbeer, I dont know if you are trying to pinpoint that a specific race abuses the welfare system and im not saying that you are either. I just want to say that there are plenty of women out there that do use the welfare system to help better their situation, for example, myself. I was able to work, save the extra money i had, and get myself an education so that i wont need the welfare system for the rest of my life. I have accomplish so much and i can say i no longer need their assistance. It saddens me that if you are pinpointing a certain race to abuse the welfare system, you are totally wrong. I definitely was not one of them. But i do agree that it is unfair that there are "people white and black" that do abuse the system.

GSneed
GSneed 10/28/08 - 03:26 pm
CBBP, exactly how much beer

CBBP, exactly how much beer and cigs can you buy for the price of a stolen ribeye loin?! You only get $5 for that at the barbershop...and that's maybe enough for a 24-oz Bud Light and pack of cost-cutter brand cigs. Really, you should have been cited for stalking, if you followed the transaction outside to the car THEN back inside to see what she actully bought with her newfound wealth. Else, you are lying or you work security for Gurley's. Get a life, you have WAYYYY too much time on your hands!

corgimom
corgimom 10/28/08 - 03:39 pm
I just hope and pray that

I just hope and pray that there are no riots anywhere, because nobody ever wins when that happens. I think that the sheriff's department has heard enough street buzz that they think it's credible- and I think it's credible, too. Augusta couldn't even handle First Friday, but people think there isn't going to be any trouble after this election?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 10/28/08 - 03:40 pm
I never said an age or race,

I never said an age or race, but for your information the woman was in her late 20's to early 30's, white and with 5 kids! Now a whole ribeye loin sells for about $60.00 and from her purchases I'd surmise she got about $35.00 for it. Stalking, I don't think so, Family and Children services called it a public service!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 10/28/08 - 03:46 pm
I am in a position to see

I am in a position to see this on a daily basis done by white and black.. The travesty is that they teach their children to follow in these footsteps. The program needs to be changed to wean them off it. I have no problem with the elderly or someone with a real need, but to leech off the system is another thing entirely. To those of you who made assumptions I certainly hope you feel really tall right now.

KingJames
KingJames 10/28/08 - 03:56 pm
ColdBeer, as racially divided

ColdBeer, as racially divided as Augusta is, you probably should have included the demographics of the woman in your original telling of this story. Not that it matters much to me, but since the original topic was race, excluding the race of the woman could have given whites who post often the idea that the woman was black. You and I both know that they would have welcomed the chance to have another example of blacks beating the system so that blacks could once again be called lazy. Please take note that we all agree that what she did was wrong. Her race does matter, in Augusta anyway. No matter how you look at it, though, you stalked the woman and are lucky she didn't notice you following her. I hear some welfare moms can be brutal when it comes to flinging canned goods at stalkers in grocery stores. If you are spending your days trying to catcch those who abuse the system like that, then you are a danger to your own well being. Please give up the practice before someone gets hurt.

GSneed
GSneed 10/28/08 - 03:58 pm
"I am in a position to see

"I am in a position to see this on a daily basis..." So you do work security for Gurley's Food Market...? My sources tell me you shouldnt pay anymore than $20 for a "hot" $60 ribeye loin. LOL! And by the way, I never assumed a race or an age...only that you have wayyy too much time on your hands...or that you work for Gurley's. Have a good one, and let's urge all the folks that we know not to get too far out of control, whether or not your candidate wins. Pass on the word.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 10/28/08 - 04:58 pm
king... I guess it must be

king... I guess it must be disappointing that not one person rushed to say anything about the race of the woman in the grocery store possibly being black. Maybe that proves in a small way that people don't look at everthing wrong being done by a black person or everything being about race. There seems to be more being made racial than there actually is.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 10/28/08 - 05:34 pm
If you do advanced voting, be

If you do advanced voting, be sure to leave yourself a lot of time. I was discussing the lines with others while shopping today, one voter said Warren Road was about one hour and 45 when he was there today. Another said Henry Brigham Center was 4 hours yesterday. Today Henry Brigham was a 3 hour wait if you arrived when I did, at 8:20am before they opened. They canceled exercise classes so that the gym would be free, since it was cold today and will be colder tomorrow. If you tire of standing easily, you might want to bring a small folding stool to rest in or they might let you have one of their plastic chairs if you ask a poll worker, if you don't mind carrying it around as you move through the gym. There seemed to be even more people voting today than yesterday. There were about 100 or more people in the gym while I was there and there were more people coming.

Concerned Citizen
Concerned Citizen 10/28/08 - 05:37 pm
It makes sense to me now why

It makes sense to me now why our country is the way that it is...so many racist people in the world and a lot of them post in the comment section faithfully. I can not wait until God shows you what he has in store for you.

Concerned Citizen
Concerned Citizen 10/28/08 - 05:38 pm
Thanks for the heads up

Thanks for the heads up Baroness.

Fees would apply to show dogs

Performance and show animals won't be exempt from steep annual licensing fees for owners who chose not to spay or neuter pets under a requirement.