Officers gear up with riot training

Deputies in Richmond and Columbia counties are preparing for any civil unrest or overexuberant celebrating that might take place after next week's presidential election, officials confirmed Monday.

Although they were quick to say that no problems are anticipated, authorities said as many as 60 deputies will undergo an eight-hour training course Thursday -- learning crowd control and disbursement techniques.

Richmond County sheriff's Col. Gary Powell said the department will not have deputies stationed at local polling centers Nov. 4, but they will be ready to respond if necessary.

"We just want to be prepared in case something does happen, but I don't really anticipate something here," Col. Powell said.

Since shortly after Sept. 11, 2001, the department has issued road patrol deputies riot gear, including gas masks, but most have not undergone "formalized training," Col. Powell said.

Law enforcement agencies across the nation are adding officers and riot-control units and are putting SWAT teams on standby.

A story published last week in The Hill , a leading newspaper for Congress and Capitol Hill, said authorities from cities including Detroit, Oakland, Philadelphia and Chicago -- Democratic candidate Barack Obama's hometown -- plan to deploy extra police. Many believe that some blacks would be angry if Mr. Obama loses, the article said.

It's something Mallory Millender, a longtime Paine College professor and community activist, said is not likely to happen unless there is the impression that the election was stolen from Mr. Obama.

"Otherwise I think there will be jubilation," Dr. Millender said. "I absolutely don't think there will be violence and disorder in a negative sense."

Capt. Steve Morris, a spokesman for the Columbia County Sheriff's Office, said that no matter which party wins the election, it will be an unprecedented event that requires added security.

"It will end in either the nation's first African-American president or the nation's first female vice president," Capt. Morris said. "It demands more preparation and a greater police presence."

His department will send about two-dozen of its Special Response Team deputies to train in Richmond County, he said.

Col. Powell said the biggest problem on Election Day might be the one they already have faced -- traffic. On Monday morning, advance voting traffic was a problem outside the Henry Brigham Center on Golden Camp Road as a large number of drivers entered and exited the parking lot.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

KingJames
KingJames 10/28/08 - 10:45 am
Paws, J.W. is not a national

Paws, J.W. is not a national black leader. He is a retired pastor who spewed inflamatory rhetoric. Most Americans would not have known him had Obama not run for president. As for L.F., well I don't think he has the power that you think he has. Yes, the Million Man March was impressive, but it wasn't as much political as it was enlightenment for black males to be responsible and productive citizens. Others who have been leaders in the black community will prove skeptics wrong by appealing for calm, no matter who wins the election. I believe the black community has evolved into something better than that of the turbulent '60s when every black or white group under the sun protested for peace, justice, and equality. Not that anything was wrong with those who protested, but I feel blacks are less likely to riot because we have more now than ever in terms of justice and equality. SMT, you must be a hard person to live with if your outlook on race hasn't changed in nearly 40 years. I hope you don't slip and fall and hurt yourself in your haste to get to the top of your house with your shot gun.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 10/28/08 - 10:55 am
Well KingJames if you click

Well KingJames if you click on SargentMidTown's screen name God Help Us, you will see his ANGER towards black people in 99.9% of his postings. IMO I think most people whether black or white in their 40s or above who may have had racism embedded in them from childhood, can truly be changed only if they repent and accept Christ into their lives as their Lord and Saviour. Really click on his screen name and you will be awed but not surprised at his posts.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 10/28/08 - 10:59 am
Angiesdad, you may want to

Angiesdad, you may want to read about the Dewey vs. Truman election, also there are a lot of Rush listeners out there that are saying they're voting for Obama when they're polled (listeners love Rush and will do what he says). Some of the polling numbers are pretty close and fluctuate often so we'll just have to see what happens.

GSneed
GSneed 10/28/08 - 11:02 am
Way to take the high road,

Way to take the high road, Angiesdad! I applaud you.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 10/28/08 - 11:07 am
It never hurts to be

It never hurts to be prepared. Remember in case of riot use a shotgun from the top of your house to protect your property. Riots can happen faster than a flash flud.

Paws..
Paws.. 10/28/08 - 11:07 am
So you really think that will

So you really think that will happen? You are a very simple person
Posted by georgiagator25 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:19 AM .............................No, I think it is possible. Sometimes very simple people see and understand things the sophistocated can't comprehend.

melecla
melecla 10/28/08 - 11:11 am
is this election over yet?

is this election over yet? THe media decided who was gonna win earlier this year. What's the point now? Who's gonna win the World Series?

georgiagator25
georgiagator25 10/28/08 - 11:13 am
Sargent, what if McCain

Sargent, what if McCain doesn't win should we have the shotguns prepared.

toppergem
toppergem 10/28/08 - 11:14 am
I am like Joe Biden now...you

I am like Joe Biden now...you must be kidding? You all are so silly. Why would there be rioting over an election? There hasn't been one and there won't be one. If you are on the up and up in this town, not underhanded and dirty, you have NOTHING to fear. Many a candidate has lost an election and there was no reason for all of this drama. When Bush stole the election in 2000, was their blood in the streets? So why do you think that is going to happen this time? Give me a break, Augusta.

KingJames
KingJames 10/28/08 - 11:16 am
Jackfruit, you mean read the

Jackfruit, you mean read the posts that haven't been removed due to vilolation of the comments policy! I know exactly how SMT is. He is the type that thinks all blacks are uneducated, baby producers who thrive on violence and government handouts. Not so. I have said this to many people and I will say it again. If those are the only blacks a person such as SMT encounters, then he is obviously spending a majority of his time in the wrong parts of Augusta. He needs to venture out more than just a couple of blocks from that roof he plans to be atop on next Tuesday and Wednesday.

georgiagator25
georgiagator25 10/28/08 - 11:18 am
Toppergem I was just about to

Toppergem I was just about to make the same point.

ToomuchmoneyIhave
ToomuchmoneyIhave 10/28/08 - 11:21 am
A shotgun? How well will a

A shotgun? How well will a shotgun do with home defense if the other guy has a 9mm pistol. Just wondering?

ToomuchmoneyIhave
ToomuchmoneyIhave 10/28/08 - 11:23 am
I am more inclined to us my

I am more inclined to us my lightsaber in this type of situation.

ToomuchmoneyIhave
ToomuchmoneyIhave 10/28/08 - 11:24 am
In a riot I think the more

In a riot I think the more rounds that you are able to deploy the better.

godogs
godogs 10/28/08 - 11:25 am
Angiesdad, unfortunately

Angiesdad, unfortunately some do see this election as a race issue, but I would say much more on the side of the blacks this election. As they are voting on a candidate based on race rather than capability, knowing who this person is, what is he truly about, what he stands for. As a chrisitan I am voting for a person who of the two tends to be more in my line of views of a christian thinking. If Condi Rice had run on the Republican ticket I would have voted for her in a heartbeat. To vote base on simply the fact of race truly shows lack of intelligence. How would you feel (if you are educated) of your employer taking part of your check and giving it to the housekeeper who empties your trash in your office, even though she chose not to go to school to get an education like you did and earn the salary based on education and experience. Well get ready it is about to come. Even the Bible says a fare days work for a fare days wages, it doesn't say sit back with your hand out at someone elses expense. Please tell me what rioting has ever solved in this country regardless of who does it. What does it solve? It only shows stupidity and you may just have to God for it one day.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/28/08 - 11:27 am
Who here thinks angie has an

Who here thinks angie has an IQ over 85?

toppergem
toppergem 10/28/08 - 11:31 am
When Bush stole the election

When Bush stole the election in 2000, was THERE blood in the streets? So why do you think that is going to happen this time? Give me a break, Augusta.

Typing so fast I made an error! Didn't need anyone to tell me I need English 101.

toppergem
toppergem 10/28/08 - 11:36 am
On Monday morning, advance

I was there for over four hours (8:30 am until 1:00 pm) and my nephew was one of the young men parking cars. Traffic was constant but there were no major problems. The problem was the voting machines kept going down and people had to wait over 3 and 4 hours in line to vote.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 10/28/08 - 11:40 am
Sorry, Signal Always, I've

Sorry, Signal Always, I've caught McCain lying FOUR times when it comes to his denials about race-baiting.

realistineducation
realistineducation 10/28/08 - 11:40 am
guess they realize that the

guess they realize that the thugs will riot if Obama is not elected, you will not see white people burning cars if McCain in not elected. what a double standard. I support Obama, but if he does not win, and blacks act like thugs, you are demeaning your race.get with it people.

KingJames
KingJames 10/28/08 - 11:41 am
Williston, McCain won't even

Williston, McCain won't even tell the truth about the racial makeup of his family in his native state of Mississippi! http://www.sfltimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2041&I...

disssman
disssman 10/28/08 - 11:46 am
Calm down folks, I am sure

Calm down folks, I am sure that the only way a riot could come about is if "An American Citizen" is denied the right to vote. I further believe that it is a responsibility of citizenship to bear arms against a group that would try to deprive us of our basic rights as citizens. So given that I just hope the folks (mainly lawyers) who are trying to strip peoples rights away, are wearing some type of body armor, cause when people (both white and black) believe they are being targeted, they will react.

KingJames
KingJames 10/28/08 - 11:50 am
Realistineducation, you're

Realistineducation, you're right about whites not rioting if McCain loses. Whites, it would seem, only riot following major sporting events. Will white sports fans be labeled as thugs if they go out and burn a few cars after their favorite team wins the World Series or the Superbowl? I think rioting is stupid, but I must point out that blacks are not the only ones who do it.

KingJames
KingJames 10/28/08 - 11:53 am
Ding, ding! Dissman has won

Ding, ding! Dissman has won the common sense award of the day. For the record, I co-sign everything he said at 12:46.

disssman
disssman 10/28/08 - 11:56 am
Lifeisabeach - that is quite

Lifeisabeach - that is quite a name for a christian. To answer your question about what riots have accomplished - Civil rights for all black people. Or how about the right for women to vote. By the way I believe it is a "fair days wages for a fair days work". Unfortunately many employers only look at the "fair days work" part and forget the "fair days wages" part. Probably just an oversight on their compasionate conservative way of thinking!

leapfrogve
leapfrogve 10/28/08 - 12:06 pm
The sad truth is that this

The sad truth is that this country is still very racist. It's just a "closet" racism. Nobody wants to admit that they are racist but, like this election is proving, there are many people who see just skin color. And while the people that are truly interested in the good of the country will vote for the person that best represents what they want for the president and the country many are voting and will vote based solely on skin color. This goes BOTH ways as racism goes BOTH ways. But the saddest thing is that this is what were teaching our children, the future generations. This is why racism will always be a problem. Each race shows racism and this is what gets passed down to each new generation...continued hate and ignorance!

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 10/28/08 - 12:10 pm
LOL this headline made the

LOL this headline made the Atlanta Journal: Hmm. Cops in Augusta area gear up for Election Day — with riot training
Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 09:24 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

This from today’s Augusta Chronicle:

Why?

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 10/28/08 - 12:24 pm
KingJames, thanks for that

KingJames, thanks for that article. Of course, it'll never be in the media. They keep giving him softballs.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 10/28/08 - 12:28 pm
disssman, are you sure that

disssman, are you sure that those things were accomplished by riots or by the non-violent protests, the words of the leaders of those causes, and the support of their followers? And willistontownsc, you keeping tabs on Obama's lies too? And the South Florida Times is not the media?

justtired
justtired 10/28/08 - 12:42 pm
You want silliness. . . Just

You want silliness. . . Just take a look at this election in general. I've already made my peace and accepted that America will cease to exist as a viable part of the earthly community. The current remnants of America will finally self destruct and morph into full blown socialist communism or at best democratic socialism in a very short period of time. The seeds were planted nearly half a century ago and now the plant is reaching maturity. At least all those who expound "democracy" should still be happy with a democratic socialist government. They never understood that America was never a democracy nor was it created to be a democratic form of government but that is all you hear the uneducated screaming today. America is a democracy. Well you are only half right: American government was designed on the concept of a republican form of democracy. Democracy in it's truest form will never work, nor does communism... Thus the compromise and socialist democracy. Sound insane. Open your eyes people.