Officers gear up with riot training

Deputies in Richmond and Columbia counties are preparing for any civil unrest or overexuberant celebrating that might take place after next week's presidential election, officials confirmed Monday.

Although they were quick to say that no problems are anticipated, authorities said as many as 60 deputies will undergo an eight-hour training course Thursday -- learning crowd control and disbursement techniques.

Richmond County sheriff's Col. Gary Powell said the department will not have deputies stationed at local polling centers Nov. 4, but they will be ready to respond if necessary.

"We just want to be prepared in case something does happen, but I don't really anticipate something here," Col. Powell said.

Since shortly after Sept. 11, 2001, the department has issued road patrol deputies riot gear, including gas masks, but most have not undergone "formalized training," Col. Powell said.

Law enforcement agencies across the nation are adding officers and riot-control units and are putting SWAT teams on standby.

A story published last week in The Hill , a leading newspaper for Congress and Capitol Hill, said authorities from cities including Detroit, Oakland, Philadelphia and Chicago -- Democratic candidate Barack Obama's hometown -- plan to deploy extra police. Many believe that some blacks would be angry if Mr. Obama loses, the article said.

It's something Mallory Millender, a longtime Paine College professor and community activist, said is not likely to happen unless there is the impression that the election was stolen from Mr. Obama.

"Otherwise I think there will be jubilation," Dr. Millender said. "I absolutely don't think there will be violence and disorder in a negative sense."

Capt. Steve Morris, a spokesman for the Columbia County Sheriff's Office, said that no matter which party wins the election, it will be an unprecedented event that requires added security.

"It will end in either the nation's first African-American president or the nation's first female vice president," Capt. Morris said. "It demands more preparation and a greater police presence."

His department will send about two-dozen of its Special Response Team deputies to train in Richmond County, he said.

Col. Powell said the biggest problem on Election Day might be the one they already have faced -- traffic. On Monday morning, advance voting traffic was a problem outside the Henry Brigham Center on Golden Camp Road as a large number of drivers entered and exited the parking lot.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

b1
b1 10/28/08 - 09:50 am
The scarey thing is that this

The scarey thing is that this will probally happen. What a bunch of degenerates! Have you heard the Howard Stearn piece... What a bunch of crap! Vote McCain!

halffull
halffull 10/28/08 - 09:50 am
I agree with most of the

I agree with most of the comments that this sounds stupid. What other election have we had where this control the crowd attitude existed. Well I guess that leads to the next question, what is different about this one. I thought the sheriff's dept. was in a financial crunch (60x$18.00per hour x8 =$8640.00)

shivas
shivas 10/28/08 - 09:53 am
If Obama loses the world will

If Obama loses the world will not end. This is just another intimidation tactic from the pitiful right-wing. Why must they continue to stereotype black people as violent? Obama scares the right-wing because he exposes their lies by his presence.

qwerty1
qwerty1 10/28/08 - 09:57 am
All this talk about riots, If

All this talk about riots, If any body riots whether black or white, that is beyond racist. It is ignorant and stupid

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 10/28/08 - 10:01 am
SMH...I say you are full of

SMH...I say you are full of bull hockey....You do sound like a repo man though...You should't make up lies because you don't like the truth.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 10/28/08 - 10:07 am
Nothing wrong with being

Nothing wrong with being prepared, they're just doing their job ensuring the safety of the citizens of our county. There is obviously a lot of emotion and heated debate in this presidential election and I'd rather the police be ready to protect the citizens of this area in case some unruly people decide to get out of hand and the mob mentality sets in, people start busting up the place (that's something I never understood about riots, they always destroy their own communities, just doesn't make any sense and accomplishes nothing)

SMHwhatamessthisis
SMHwhatamessthisis 10/28/08 - 10:08 am
Georgiais#1 i am very much a

Georgiais#1 i am very much a repo agent and own my own company.I say to you u better hope i don't ever repo your ride.lol at me not being a repo agent.it's funny because why judges,dr's and lawyers can't lose there cars?get over yaself fool.if you need a job I am hiring repo agents in atlanta,ga.I don't have to lie about anything i don't know you.yes white ppl with money do act that way they so use to money and if they nolonger have any they don't want there friends etc see there cars get taking away.

Signal Always
Signal Always 10/28/08 - 10:09 am
I only know of two gated

I only know of two gated communities in Evans, other than a small one inside Jones Creek, and I live in one. I call your story a buncha BS, SMH. BTW, you need a little English 101 as well.

SMHwhatamessthisis
SMHwhatamessthisis 10/28/08 - 10:13 am
by Signal Always ya'll are

by Signal Always ya'll are damn fools if u think judges and lawyers and drs aint losing there rv and cars.grow up why don't u.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 10/28/08 - 10:13 am
shivas, people riot after

shivas, people riot after sporting events when their team WINS, what makes you think that people might not start a celebratory riot if Obama wins the election, or go nuts if he loses? You can't deny that there are some crazy people out there that just itching to start a riot, like folks that are anarchist, they want to cause chaos just to cause chaos

georgiagator25
georgiagator25 10/28/08 - 10:14 am
Signal there are more than 2

Signal there are more than 2 gated communities in Evans, sorry.

Paws..
Paws.. 10/28/08 - 10:19 am
Could there be riots?

Could there be riots? Considering the entitlement mentality of some Obama supporters it is a possibility. The "entitlement mentality" believes that the time has come for a black to be POTUS and it is a matter of "justice" that Obama wins. In the mind of some Obama supporters he has alredy won because he is ahead in the polls. If Obama looses it will be interpreted by some as an "injustice" and that the election was stolen and the reaction could turn violent. We have all heard the slogan: "no justice, no peace" **(I hope my comment is sufficiently sanitized to not be removed this time)**

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 10/28/08 - 10:24 am
king... What do you mean

king... What do you mean that McCain doesn't accept his black relatives? John & Cindy adopted and have raised a black daughter. Why don't we hear more about the Kenyan family of NObama? Talk about not accepting, why does NObama have a brother living in a box on $12 a yr? Why doesn't he acknowledge his Kenyan cousin Oginga, the radical leader? It seems that NObama wants people to forget about his Kenyan grandmother, sister and other members of his family. Be careful because when you throw out cr@p about McCain, there's always more that can come back at you about NObama.

rainingoranges
rainingoranges 10/28/08 - 10:24 am
All I know is that whenver

All I know is that whenver people get excited in large groups, trouble is on the way. I was in Boston when the Red Sox won in 2004 and there wasn't just one riot, there were multiple days of them. After they won the ALCS, a college girl got killed by crowd control bullets and a ton of cars were lit on fire downtown. After the World Series, they had to shut down almost every major road in town because of the people acting crazy. It was so bad that when the won again (last year, year before?), they had cops EVERYWHERE on horses. If there is one thing you don't want to mess with, its a cop on a horse in a crowd. Seriously.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 10/28/08 - 10:32 am
Did you ever think that

Did you ever think that almost all of these "riots" or incidences of unrest occurred up North or in California?

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 10/28/08 - 10:37 am
How many remember the Augusta

How many remember the Augusta riot? Better to be safe than sorry! Would you rather have the police prepared or not? Many would see this as preventive medicine.

georgiagator25
georgiagator25 10/28/08 - 10:38 am
Paws are you suggesting that

Paws are you suggesting that alot of White folks my riot if Obama loses the election. I'm saying that because blacks didn't put Obama ahead in the polls...

KingJames
KingJames 10/28/08 - 11:00 am
Converted, you should

Converted, you should actually check out this story http://www.sfltimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2041&I... McCain for some reason doesn't associate with his own relatives in his native Mississippi where the family plantation was. The relatives, whether black, white, or mixed race accept each other and actually have a reunion where they are all invited. McCain never comes, and when asked by reporters about his roots, he is either less than truthful or altogether evasive. His entire family knows how things were on the plantation and have resolved that whatever may have happened actually made them who they are today. That is how they get past the race issue. And it looks like they will have to continue to get past it without Sen. McCain. The point I'm making is the rest of America can actually learn about race relations from a McCain durig this election, just maybe not from the one running for president. I still don't think there will be riots, though.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 10/28/08 - 11:02 am
In times like these we need

In times like these we need an anchor and that anchor is Christ. I wonder how many other gun ho people out there ready to shoot the first black person or white person for that matter because of the election. Those that have purposed to shoot and kill that may never have been in trouble before will lose their lives from either shooting someone (ending up in jail) or getting shot and killed themselves. There is always someone badder than you out there. Why LOOK for trouble.

Paws..
Paws.. 10/28/08 - 11:08 am
No gator, it's not a matter

No gator, it's not a matter of "who" put him ahead in the polls. I think that black people are more likely to see it as an issue of "justice" and out of frustration fanned by the inflamatory rhetoric of some national black leaders with the initials J.W. and L.F. (and others) be incited to violence. I don't think that there is much danger of that here in Augusta but mostly in larger cities. I honestly believe that racial tension in Augusta is exagerated and is caused partially by black politicians trying to get blacks more involved in the political process. I don't believe they do that intentionally but it happens as an unintended consequence.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 10/28/08 - 11:11 am
If Obama loses we will have

If Obama loses we will have to have martial law to quiet the riots. The lower classes of society will be the ones ganging up and rioting. I remember the riots back in 70. Daddy ran down town and loaded up on boxes of shot gun shells. Thank God that we have the "Stand your own ground" law now. The constitution gives citizens the right to bear arms. Be prepared for riots. The use of a shot gun from the top of your house or other high place will provide you with the greatest security for your property.

Living the Country Life
Living the Country Life 10/28/08 - 11:12 am
Ole School - have you

Ole School - have you forgotten where you live? And if you don't live in Richmond County, you should still be concerned for the residents. People DO get stupid in these type of situations.

georgiagator25
georgiagator25 10/28/08 - 11:19 am
So you really think that will

So you really think that will happen? You are a very simple person

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 10/28/08 - 11:21 am
LOL @ lower class of

LOL @ lower class of society... All I can say is Jesus, move on the hearts and minds of people and change and deliver them.

georgiagator25
georgiagator25 10/28/08 - 11:21 am
You know Yoda said it best,

You know Yoda said it best, "Fear leads to suffering, Suffering leads to hate, and Hate leads to the Dark side". Stop living in fear.

stillamazed
stillamazed 10/28/08 - 11:22 am
I find it curious that

I find it curious that whenever someone expresses their opinion that Obama isn't the best qualified, that it is taken as keeping the black man down or you are racist if you don't vote for Obama. What happened to people being able to vote for who the heck they want to vote for. My opinion of politics is my own but I can promise you when I go to the polls it will not be based on race or gender.........at this point in the game I am not sure if any of the idiots are qualified to run this country.......in my lifetime I have not seen a republican or a democrat that has been without fault in the White House and it will always be that way, they make obsurd promises they can't keep and people actually buy into it believing every word they say....I will be glad when it is over........

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 10/28/08 - 11:31 am
What about Section 8 people?

What about Section 8 people?

GSneed
GSneed 10/28/08 - 11:32 am
Try this on for size...tell

Try this on for size...tell yourself that you are voting FOR your candidate and not AGAINST a Black man. You will feel so much better about yourself and your fears, and that veil of ignorance will be lifted. Woosahhhh...(i.e. to tell someone to calm down and relax).

angiesdad
angiesdad 10/28/08 - 11:34 am
there will be no rioting on

there will be no rioting on nov 5th should obama lose.all of us with an IQ over 85 know that he has the victory,and all we have to do is vote tuesday.it's already over according to the experts,and they usually know what they're talking about.even if he did lose theres nothing to riot about.we can honestly pat ourselves on the back and say we have come a long way.to many old folks this is a miracle in it's self for a minority to make it this far.this will be probably be the biggest election ever,and it's nice to be a part of history again.vote your conscience tuesday, i'm democrat all the way and probably always will be.my christmas wish? peace on earth and in america.my new years resolution?to get bush and cheney investigated and arrested for war crimes for starters.

georgiagator25
georgiagator25 10/28/08 - 11:38 am
I love the post Angiesdad.

I love the post Angiesdad.