Officers gear up with riot training

Deputies in Richmond and Columbia counties are preparing for any civil unrest or overexuberant celebrating that might take place after next week's presidential election, officials confirmed Monday.

Although they were quick to say that no problems are anticipated, authorities said as many as 60 deputies will undergo an eight-hour training course Thursday -- learning crowd control and disbursement techniques.

Richmond County sheriff's Col. Gary Powell said the department will not have deputies stationed at local polling centers Nov. 4, but they will be ready to respond if necessary.

"We just want to be prepared in case something does happen, but I don't really anticipate something here," Col. Powell said.

Since shortly after Sept. 11, 2001, the department has issued road patrol deputies riot gear, including gas masks, but most have not undergone "formalized training," Col. Powell said.

Law enforcement agencies across the nation are adding officers and riot-control units and are putting SWAT teams on standby.

A story published last week in The Hill , a leading newspaper for Congress and Capitol Hill, said authorities from cities including Detroit, Oakland, Philadelphia and Chicago -- Democratic candidate Barack Obama's hometown -- plan to deploy extra police. Many believe that some blacks would be angry if Mr. Obama loses, the article said.

It's something Mallory Millender, a longtime Paine College professor and community activist, said is not likely to happen unless there is the impression that the election was stolen from Mr. Obama.

"Otherwise I think there will be jubilation," Dr. Millender said. "I absolutely don't think there will be violence and disorder in a negative sense."

Capt. Steve Morris, a spokesman for the Columbia County Sheriff's Office, said that no matter which party wins the election, it will be an unprecedented event that requires added security.

"It will end in either the nation's first African-American president or the nation's first female vice president," Capt. Morris said. "It demands more preparation and a greater police presence."

His department will send about two-dozen of its Special Response Team deputies to train in Richmond County, he said.

Col. Powell said the biggest problem on Election Day might be the one they already have faced -- traffic. On Monday morning, advance voting traffic was a problem outside the Henry Brigham Center on Golden Camp Road as a large number of drivers entered and exited the parking lot.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

karmakills123
karmakills123 10/28/08 - 04:33 am
LOL..this is just too

LOL..this is just too easy....

Ole School
Ole School 10/28/08 - 05:25 am
people are not that STUPID ,

people are not that STUPID , riot because a vote doesn`t go their way ? come on now !!!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/28/08 - 05:40 am
There will be jubilation if

There will be jubilation if the vote isn't stolen from Obama. Yeah, sounds just like there's little chance of riot....IF Obama wins. The assumption has been put out there (by one party) that the only way Obama can lose is if the election is stolen. NOW does the silliness of the 2000 election make sense? It sounds like an offer you can't refuse.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 10/28/08 - 05:50 am
Where will they put the

Where will they put the prisoners ? The jails are full. They might have to call in the national guard.
Oie School....Get your head out of the sand. I can easily see the lower class blacks rioting if Obama does not win. They have a propensity to gang up anyway. They call each other Cuz and look the other way when a fellow black has done wrong. Then the next minuet they are stabbing each other. Dugs and alcohol have a lot to do with it but a "tribal genetics" has a lot to do with it. Most of their ancestors were in tribal Africa less than three hundred years ago. You obviously have not lived around lower class blacks before. Where have you been?

griesella
griesella 10/28/08 - 06:14 am
What a country! What hole

What a country! What hole does these idiots crawl out of and what has happened to civilization.

karmakills123
karmakills123 10/28/08 - 06:29 am
I'm telling you folks....It's

I'm telling you folks....It's gonna be a hoot !!!! Sit back and watch the show...you can't pay for all the entertainment were gonna get for the next four years....Don't blame me..I voted for McCain !!

shivas
shivas 10/28/08 - 06:50 am
Ridiculous.

Ridiculous.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 10/28/08 - 07:15 am
What a sentimental journey...

What a sentimental journey... back to the call for the end of Viet Nam with dignity...I keep feeling those same hostilities, such real division in this country...again. And we currently have a President who half the country or more consider deceptive, misleading, and an outright liar, kinda like Nixon. And we have the media from the religious right taunting the one who might go wild saying, "We're ready for ya. Make trouble; Make my day. I dare ya." Man, history does sadly repeat itself...and gets more crazy each times it does.

cncop1
cncop1 10/28/08 - 07:16 am
Sounds like the ignorance has

Sounds like the ignorance has started from the comments made it sounds like you all speak for white America that's a short distance from living in a segregated society

AugustaHeph homeowner
AugustaHeph homeowner 10/28/08 - 07:17 am
Everyone just needs to be

Everyone just needs to be prepared for the worse if Obama gets elected. You think we are the manority now, wait and see what happens. You better get your vote in QUICK for MCCAIN/PALIN, the best of the best. So what if things happen and McCain had to step down, I assure you someone like Gov. Palin can run the Country. We need change yes and this is the BEST way to achieve it. I have watched the Debate's and let me tell you I believe in McCain/Palin all the way.
If you believe in GOD and I hope you do, You better get right with HIM and read your Bible, It's all coming true, Read Revelations: Get your life right and VOTE the right way-McCain/Palin.
GOD BLESS AND KEEP US ALL DON'T BE STUPID BE PREPARED

AugustaHeph homeowner
AugustaHeph homeowner 10/28/08 - 07:19 am
Everyone just needs to be

GOD BLESS AND KEEP US ALL DON'T BE STUPID BE PREPARED

jgdarling
jgdarling 10/28/08 - 07:30 am
I fully expect white people

I fully expect white people to riot if Obama wins. Good job to prepare for this.

factchecker
factchecker 10/28/08 - 07:31 am
People riot when their team

People riot when their team wins the Super Bowl or the World Series. So what makes you think they won't riot after an election?

slaphappy
slaphappy 10/28/08 - 07:32 am
Ole School. They burn police

Ole School. They burn police cars and "loot" stores when their basketball teams win. You don't think they'll burn the mother down if Barry gets the win?

usnvet
usnvet 10/28/08 - 07:44 am
They are getting ready to

They are getting ready to stop the uprising after the CIA steals the election from Obama. The TV News Media has already sown the seeds to support their ruse with this "Bradley effect" crappe. Make no mistake about it: if John McCain wins this election, IT IS RIGGED and WE ARE OWNED.

disssman
disssman 10/28/08 - 07:52 am
Why would you folks think

Why would you folks think such things? I believe the sherriff could do a lot better policing the polls to make sure no one is denied a chance to vote! Better to stop the violance before it starts, we wouldn't want another Florida here, or do we? If I am not mistaken Johnny Macs people are the ones making headlines with attempts to start racial problems. Just think, only yesterday you folks were quoteing from the Bible, and now all this hate, I do believe you may have a twinge of the you-know-who in you!

ibewalkingtomemphis_
ibewalkingtomemphis_ 10/28/08 - 07:57 am
usnvet, did you wear your 13

usnvet, did you wear your 13 buttons in the back?

christian134
christian134 10/28/08 - 08:01 am
It is going to happen...The

It is going to happen...The show for all the world to see and have a good laugh at the depths within which this nation is falling...All they, our enemies, have to do is wait and see when the proper time will be to strike...It is not going to be pretty...

frontporch
frontporch 10/28/08 - 08:06 am
The only stealing I can see

The only stealing I can see is Acorn and the uninformed people. People oting out of ignorance and color.

john
john 10/28/08 - 08:08 am
diss, come on now.

diss, come on now.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 10/28/08 - 08:12 am
What idiots. You all are

What idiots. You all are pathetic. You sound as if you hope that some stupid people will riot, just so you can say I told you so. Either way you will have not predicted a damn thing because they riot after major sporting events whether the team win or loses. Al that prove is that there are people just looking for a reason to be stupid. As the first poster stated " This is just too easy".

ibewalkingtomemphis_
ibewalkingtomemphis_ 10/28/08 - 08:17 am
Yes, but why is the crowd

Yes, but why is the crowd "just looking for a reason to be stupid" almost always one color?

john
john 10/28/08 - 08:20 am
thats not true ibe. watch

thats not true ibe. watch some of the police reality shows, lots of spoiled white college dumba..es rioting, setting bonfires, etc.

augdowg
augdowg 10/28/08 - 08:22 am
usnvet...As for me..I m

usnvet...As for me..I m pullin for the C.I.A....steal it !

LaTwon
LaTwon 10/28/08 - 08:26 am
i do not think this is

i do not think this is unrealistic at all. they are talking of seizing your retirement account and rolling it into social security. america is nearly gone. i hope there are enough around willing to stand up for the constitution.

Signal Always
Signal Always 10/28/08 - 08:27 am
Sounds as if that moron

Sounds as if that moron usnvet thinks we should just elect a President based on unScientific polls, and not at the election booth. Last I checked, when I read one of these polls, it's normally listed that there's an oversampling of Dems, and sorry, being college educated, I know how polls can be skewed. If McCain is elected it means more people wanted McCain to win over that Socialistic punk from Chicago. Polls be damned.

BoldTruth
BoldTruth 10/28/08 - 08:27 am
Just sounds like a bunch of

Just sounds like a bunch of narrow-minded racist afraid that their worst nightmare will come true....A black man will be president.......That is why the south is so far behind the rest of the country.....they are to busy living in the past....like it or not its coming.

Signal Always
Signal Always 10/28/08 - 08:28 am
....and I'm gearing up my

....and I'm gearing up my damn self. The first person that rolls up on me with the attitude that he's about to cause me harm because I have a McCain sticker on my vehicle will be dropped right there.

Signal Always
Signal Always 10/28/08 - 08:30 am
BoldTruth, you could use a

BoldTruth, you could use a little English 101. Anyone that's worried about rioting by the black community is well within reason to believe so. Throughout the last 50 years there have been over 30 riots in this country by the black community.

PTHS2
PTHS2 10/28/08 - 08:31 am
Hypo - You will be one of the

Hypo - You will be one of the brave ones out there trying to put out the fires and hosing down the crowds of looters. Be safe, man!