Community honors ex-mayor's legacy

Leadership Augusta alumni unveiled a memorial plaque Monday honoring former Mayor Charles A. DeVaney for his contributions to the city.

"Charles DeVaney loved this community, and he dedicated himself to making it the best place it could be," said Lee Ann Caldwell, Leadership Augusta alumna and director, in ceremonies at the Augusta Common.

Mr. DeVaney, who died in January 2007, was mayor of Augusta from 1984 until the city and county consolidated in 1996. He died unexpectedly of cardiac complications .

"He was a leader in this community," Dr. Caldwell said. "Under his leadership Riverwalk was implemented. He worked for downtown revitalization, Artists Row, rescues for the Old Government House and the Woodrow Wilson boyhood home, landscaping, lighting and other beautification projects. He encouraged others in restorations of historically and architecturally significant buildings like the Cotton Exchange building, the Partridge Inn."

Mr. DeVaney's cousin, Rick Toole, also spoke on behalf of the family.

Dr. Joyce Jones, the vice president of Student Services at Augusta State University, gave the invocation, and Ted Hussey, the chairman of the DeVaney Memorial Committee, made closing remarks before he and Mayor Deke Copenhaver unveiled the bronze plaque.

"When I was elected to lead this project to erect a memorial to Charles, I did not anticipate a 20-month journey, a venture in persistence, an education in the workings of the Augusta government," Mr. Hussey said.

Leadership Augusta initially asked to place the plaque on Riverwalk honoring Mr. DeVaney for his efforts there, but some Augusta commissioners resisted, saying former Mayor Ed McIntyre initiated the Riverwalk project.

karmakills123
karmakills123 10/28/08 - 05:28 am
Way to go Mr. Hussy I am sure

Way to go Mr. Hussy I am sure it was quite a struggle to cut through all the BS from commissioners who want to rewrite history........... crooks will always stand behind their own.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/28/08 - 05:54 am
You can't cross the street

You can't cross the street without it being about race. Congrats to DeVaney for getting some of the recognition he deserved.

pofwe
pofwe 10/28/08 - 08:30 am
This man led a specious life.

This man led a specious life. He never could "man-up" and come out of the closet. The people we pay homage to ... ? Pun intended.

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 10/28/08 - 09:07 am
pofwe......very bush league

pofwe......very bush league comment.mr.devaney's choice of lifestyle aside, he was the best mayor in my memory.....and that's what counted.....how about your closet,care to share ?????

watchingfromafar
watchingfromafar 10/28/08 - 09:21 am
A well-deserved and way

A well-deserved and way overdue honor. RIP, Mr. Mayor.

pofwe
pofwe 10/28/08 - 10:03 am
playliker, why comment when

playliker, why comment when you have nothing to share but a put-down on "freedom-of-speech." Was the closet crowded?

KingJames
KingJames 10/28/08 - 10:10 am
No one is trying to rewrite

No one is trying to rewrite history. McIntyre did initiate the Riverwalk project. I was a child, but I remember that much. I also remember that it was what led to his downfall. That doesn't rewrite history. It just states the facts, and leaves history for individual interpretation. Personally, DeVaney and McIntyre were the only two mayors I knew before I matured and left Augusta. As far as I can tell DeVaney accomplished much for the city, and is rightly honored. However, the city could honor him more by reducing crime on the Riverwalk and making it a safer place to visit.

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 10/28/08 - 10:25 am
true,king james

true,king james

jdeann
jdeann 10/28/08 - 11:05 am
What does it matter if he

What does it matter if he ever came out of the closet or not??? I am in my mid 20s and have been around/involved in Augusta's political circles my whole life. Bottom line, the man did great things for our city. I remember opening day of riverwalk and my father and Charles were talking about what a great success it was. Charles was so happy to see a dream of his come to life for the city. Since he left the mayor's office, he was still doing great things for our city. Its sad because Augusta lost one of its biggest supporters.

roymccoy
roymccoy 10/28/08 - 12:35 pm
pofwe, your grandmother

pofwe, your grandmother raised an idiot!

lady_alessandra
lady_alessandra 10/28/08 - 02:19 pm
I met Charles DeVaney on

I met Charles DeVaney on several occassions. He was a person who really cared about Augusta. I'm glad that he was honored for that.

Getitright
Getitright 10/28/08 - 05:52 pm
Make sure it contains a small

Make sure it contains a small gerbal?

$80,000 severance for director who quit

Columbia County commissioners voted unanimously to approve more than $80,000 in severance pay to former Community and Leisure Services Director Barry Smith.