Across the Area

Police say fleeing man left children in vehicle

Another local man has been accused of abandoning children while running from Richmond County deputies.

Prentice Thomas, 22, of the 2000 block of Cook Road, Augusta, fled from deputies Friday afternoon during a traffic stop in the 3000 block of Wrightsboro Road, according to a Richmond County Sheriff's Office report. He is accused of leaving a 7-year-old and 6-year-old child in the vehicle's back seat, the report stated.

Warrants have been obtained for Mr. Thomas's arrest on several traffic charges.

In an unrelated case Thursday, a Hephzibah father was arrested after being accused of leaving his 2-year-old son in a car while he ran from deputies near Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

Car windows broken outside Westside High

Someone broke the windows of four vehicles at Westside High School on Friday night.

The incidents are believed to have occurred between 6 and 11 p.m., according to Richmond County Sheriff's Office reports.

It did not appear that anything was stolen, the reports stated.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/26/08 - 04:00 am
The "leave the children"

The "leave the children" approach to avoid the law is a common technique in August. It's been used many times before, though not very successfully since the children inconveniently know who their parents are, usually. This does seem to be another one of those cultural things "...I wouldn't understand".

owensjef2
owensjef2 10/26/08 - 08:27 am
Ask your cousin, she did it

Ask your cousin, she did it last week. What an Archie Bunker Pat Thomas is.

karmakills123
karmakills123 10/26/08 - 10:58 am
LOL..owen you are now

LOL..owen you are now defending these scum who bring deadbeat dad and abandonment to new levels? I will call you what you are a low class ignorant dumba-- racist with no hope of redemption.

owensjef2
owensjef2 10/26/08 - 11:25 am
No you are too stupid, or you

No you are too stupid, or you are too ignorant , or you think I am too stupid to see through Pat's usual racist comment. By the way JackAzz I would not give a hoot what you thought. I am sick and tired of people like you who post with a self fulfilling prophecy mentality. Anyone who disagrees with the self describe genius karmakills is an idiot. See I won't discuss this anymore I am more of a face to face person. You tired ^%&%

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/26/08 - 11:38 am
Thanks oj2, I guess you

Thanks oj2, I guess you understand this situation. I wish you'd spent as much energy explaining its merits as you do insulting those that don't understand why so many people feel this is justifiable behavior. Your "I won't discuss this" attitude is probably why it remains a cultural attitude.

ced501957
ced501957 10/26/08 - 12:34 pm
pt - what culture are you

pt - what culture are you referring to

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 10/26/08 - 12:51 pm
I guess leaving your kids in

I guess leaving your kids in a car and driving them into a lake is a Cultural thing? Damn if some people just cannot comment without bringing their ignorance into everything.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 10/26/08 - 12:54 pm
Owens you must understand

Owens you must understand that as lone as you are part of the gang anything you say is acceptable. They will just pass it on as your being overly sensitive. Short of saying angry Black man.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/26/08 - 01:14 pm
Running from the law is the

Running from the law is the same as driving to the lake? Odd point of view, Hypo.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/26/08 - 01:17 pm
ced501957, the culture of

ced501957, the culture of leaving small children while running from an encounter with law. (the first article) It's been done many, many times in Augusta.

owensjef2
owensjef2 10/26/08 - 01:47 pm
Hypo She doesn't even know, I

Hypo She doesn't even know, I don't know which is worse the fact that she does this all the time or she doesn't know. {She = Pat}
I guess she thinks law abiding black folks understand such behavior.

tonytonytony
tonytonytony 10/26/08 - 02:45 pm
Their sentence from leaving

Their sentence from leaving their kids in the car and running should be to put them under the knife so they cant be the sperm donors for any other kids because they are sure as hell are not fathers.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/26/08 - 04:50 pm
oj2, I thought you'd know

oj2, I thought you'd know since you always seem to support these people. If you don't know, I can understand that. What I don't understand is you always defending their actions.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 10/26/08 - 05:17 pm
patriciathomas: IMO the

patriciathomas: IMO the comment "driving them into a lake" was in reference to Susan Smith. However, HYPOCRITES 08, I don't think it is quite the same as this is the second time in less than a week that someone has left childr in the car while fleeing from the law, which is a disturbing thing to read.

owensjef2
owensjef2 10/26/08 - 06:48 pm
When have I ever defended

When have I ever defended that.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/26/08 - 07:15 pm
Your endless whine about me

Your endless whine about me being a Archie Bunker isn't intended as support for the characters running off and leaving their children? You mean we agree? Your posts didn't seem like it. My apologies if I don't always interpret you partial sentences and peculiar 3word responses properly. I thought you were disagreeing with me.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/26/08 - 07:24 pm
Hypo, is that right? You

Hypo, is that right? You thought running off and leaving the children instead of encountering the law was the same as driving your children into the lake? The Susan Smith was a one time incident by a psycho and the children being left to avoid an encounter with the police is a common occurrence that makes the paper on a regular basis. Why are you defending this as though it's okay. Am I misunderstanding you also? Are you agreeing with me in a way that makes it sound like you aren't?

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.