Investigator faces charges of forgery

A Columbia County sheriff's investigator has been arrested on an accusation that she forged several victims' names on sheriff's office documents, closing at least one case when the victim still wanted to prosecute.

Brooke Renai Kelly was charged with nine counts of first-degree forgery and violation of oath by a public officer Friday afternoon, according to sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris. She has since been released on $28,000 bond.

Authorities say they are trying to find out how many cases might have been incorrectly closed.

The issue was brought to the attention of authorities after a victim said her case had been closed incorrectly and that someone had forged her name on an official document, police say. A sheriff's office investigation determined the document, a waiver of prosecution, had been forged by Ms. Kelly, Capt. Morris said. The investigation also determined that Ms. Kelly had forged the names of eight other complainants or victims on nine forms, he said.

"Most of these cases, the victims that we contacted remembered receiving a phone call from the investigator and they did not want their case to proceed forward," Capt. Morris said. "There was at least one that we know of and have confirmed that did not want their case closed and did want the investigator to conduct a complete and comprehensive investigation to include prosecution."

Capt. Morris said that case has been reassigned.

Ms. Kelly was hired by the sheriff's office July 9, 2005, and was transferred to the Criminal Investigations Division on Jan. 8, 2007. She was previously employed by the Richmond County Sheriff's Office, according to a news release.

Most of the cases affected were damaged property complaints or thefts. Authorities said laziness appears to be the motive.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

factchecker
factchecker 10/26/08 - 05:49 am
The investigation into this

The investigation into this action was initiated and completely investigated by the Columbia County Sheriff's Office. Clay does not put up with any of his people breaking the public trust.

SMHwhatamessthisis
SMHwhatamessthisis 10/26/08 - 06:22 am
she put her job on the line

she put her job on the line for not wanting to do her job..if that was the case lady fine u another job u enjoy doing..and let somebody have your job who wants it.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 10/26/08 - 07:18 am
We Columbia County residents

We Columbia County residents are fortunate to have a sheriff and a captain of criminal investigations who are problem-confronters and -solvers rather than the kind of people who want to "just make problems go away."

shamrock
shamrock 10/26/08 - 08:27 am
Playing devil's advocate ...

Playing devil's advocate ... (quoting Captain Morris) "Most of these cases, the victims that we contacted remembered receiving a phone call from the investigator and they did not want their case to proceed forward". Did the investigator THINK she was acting within the scope of her authority by closing out cases that were not going to go forward and then simply make an error on the one case that did? Did she believe that following up by telephone she could write the person's name? Keep in mind this is done in other situations so why not in this case? I'm not excusing stupidity but this could make for a good defense when a lawyer can show it wasn't a deliberate attempt to thwart the law.

gettuffonjuvycrime1
gettuffonjuvycrime1 10/26/08 - 08:31 am
Smart, real smart. How many

Smart, real smart. How many may have been done like that at RCSO if she was an investigator over there. Good job to CCSO for investigating and moving forward with prosecution. I wish other governmental agencies would take a lesson from this and hopefully not cover up crap.

Shadow8161
Shadow8161 10/26/08 - 09:05 am
I knew this would soon

I knew this would soon happen. I hade told this Detective that I prayed hells fury would be released on the home of those who were lying about a situation. She told me that my prayer constituted teroristic acts and she could come arrest me. She was verbally abusive to me about my daughter when I had spoken about her rape and basically said she deserved it. I washed my hands of it, prayed about the whole situation and turned it over to God.

DEVGRU
DEVGRU 10/26/08 - 09:23 am
I have known Capt. Morris for

I have known Capt. Morris for many years and he is a good friend of mine. I know his character and that he is going to do what is right. This investigator screwed up in the wrong department.

DEVGRU
DEVGRU 10/26/08 - 09:27 am
Shamrock, when you sign a

Shamrock, when you sign a persons signature on a document instead of the person that was suppose to sign it that constitutes forgery period.

mable8
mable8 10/26/08 - 12:34 pm
Shamrock: "Did the

Shamrock: "Did the investigator THINK she was acting within the scope of her authority by closing out cases that were not going to go forward and then simply make an error on the one case that did?" Well, that MIGHT be a defense PROVIDED the officer had NOT FORGED THE VICTIM'S NAME. I know, you said you were playing the 'devils advocate,' but the reality is, the charge is forgery, not just one count, but 9 at least. The number of charges can grow if there are more found in her records. It is sad that someone such as this was ever hired in the first place. I am sure the investigation will extend into her position in Richmond County as well. The GBI will handle the investigation as they usually do when officers commit criminal acts. Kudos for the CCSO for their good work.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 10/26/08 - 12:34 pm
Strange! There were more

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 10/26/08 - 12:36 pm
How were anyone to know that

How were anyone to know that this would happen? Are you some type of Soothsayer?

hippie
hippie 10/26/08 - 02:29 pm
Capt. Morris may do the right

Capt. Morris may do the right thing now but he did nothing when I contacted him to complain about her on my home break in. She completely ignored me and my case. I have no doubt something could have be done in my case if she had at least made an effort. And all Capt. Morris did was to tell me she was working on the case. Obviously that wasn't the case and this incident reinforces my thoughts in the beginning. Maybe next time a victim contacts him about one of his investigators, he will pay more attention. I personally hope she is prosecuted to the full extent of what the law allows.

jack
jack 10/26/08 - 03:39 pm
Affirmative Action at work.

Affirmative Action at work.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 10/26/08 - 04:45 pm
What in the hell does this

What in the hell does this have to do with Affirmative Action? Maybe that is what McCain did when he picked Palin? Hell that is more understandable than he felt she was qualified for the position.

shamrock
shamrock 10/26/08 - 05:08 pm
mable8 ... Of course that

mable8 ... Of course that might be the case, I'm just pointing all the "guilty until proven innocent" types who are making their comments here.

hippie
hippie 10/26/08 - 07:21 pm
Shamrock, My experience with

Shamrock, My experience with her is first hand. I was robbed a year and half ago and today was the first time I have ever seen her face. So yeah, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy.

bb4560
bb4560 10/26/08 - 09:14 pm
i wonder why her name is not

i wonder why her name is not posted on the columbia county sherriff's inmate inquery website this website is updated daily with all arrests and what they were arrested for. i don't think her arrest is any different than the ones that are on there now.

darktall
darktall 10/26/08 - 11:09 pm
sbhl, that would probably

sbhl, that would probably mean she is not there.

bb4560
bb4560 10/27/08 - 08:05 am
downtownme, she must not have

downtownme, she must not have been there friday or saturday either

Paws..
Paws.. 10/27/08 - 08:14 am
She is no better or no worse

She is no better or no worse than the black investigator in Richmond County. Both should be investigated and disciplined appropriately without regard for color. Poor judgement and dishonesty come in all colors.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 10/29/08 - 04:06 pm
"Strange! There were more

"Strange! There were more comments about Inv. Roundtree allegedly writing self serving posts, than about this.
Posted by HYPOCRITES 08 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:34 PM" Hypocrites08. That's probably because he is much higher placed in the department and that generates more attention. I do not think they should have revealed who the likely poster was, though. That damages my trust in the Chronicle. Just like certain a certain person being allowed to post vicious lies and name-calling on here without being deleted while others that say what seem to be lesser offending things DO get deleted.

amcclain
amcclain 04/22/09 - 10:49 am
I think it's very unfair of

I think it's very unfair of everyone that is so quick to judge someone when they don't really know the whole story! Hopefully all of you that like to do that is in the same situation one day and people will do the same to you! I am sure that everyone has made mistakes in their lives and don't want to be judged or ridiculed for the mistake they made! What ever happened to treat other as you would want to be treated????

More Americans traveling this holiday season

You might want to get a head start to Grandma's house this year. It appears more Americans - 98.6 million - will be traveling this holiday season than ever.