Ex-school administrator arrested on sex charges

AIKEN -- South Carolina Law Enforcement Division agents have arrested a former Aiken County school administrator on allegations of inappropriate sexual behavior with students dating back three decades.

Stephen C. Eubanks, 67, of the 300 block of Belair Road in North Augusta, is in jail on charges of lewd act upon a child under the age of 16, exposing of private parts, two counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor and one count of enticing children from school, according to a Tuesday SLED news release.

Jennifer Timmons, a spokeswoman for SLED, said in the statement that the male and female students mentioned in the arrest affidavits attended North Augusta High School and Paul Knox Junior High School in the late 1970s.

According to Augusta Chronicle archives, Mr. Eubanks was an assistant principal at North Augusta High and then principal of Paul Knox Junior High, now Paul Knox Middle School.

According to the statement, Mr. Eubanks engaged in sexual activity with a 14-year-old boy at his home on Argyle Avenue between 1975 and 1977 and had sexual relations with a 16-year-old girl at the same house in 1976.

"SLED agents have reason to believe during that same time period, Eubanks gave and allowed the minor female and other minors, alcoholic beverages and marijuana for personal use," according to the statement.

Mr. Eubanks also is accused of taking the male student from school premises without the permission or knowledge of the boy's parents, according to the arrest warrants. Ms. Timmons said that SLED started its investigation on Sept. 19 at the request of the North Augusta Department of Public Safety.

Mr. Eubanks also serve as an administrator with the Georgetown and Lancaster county school systems.

A bond hearing is scheduled for 10 a.m. today at the Aiken County Detention Center.

SLED has set up a toll-free hot line for anyone with additional information about the case or about other potential victims. The number is (800) 414-2826.

Reach Michelle Guffey at (803) 648-1395, ext. 110, or michelle.guffey@augustachronicle.com.

OBAMA SUPPORTER
OBAMA SUPPORTER 10/22/08 - 02:50 am
Nasty old man...and he was

Nasty old man...and he was around children all those years...just think about the ones who didnt report the abuse. OMG- please pray for sick perverts like him and the innocent children that come in contact with them.!!!!!!!!

a different drum
a different drum 10/22/08 - 03:53 am
This is something that

This is something that happened 30 years ago. Why did it take so long to report it? Are there problems like this going on in the schools now that will take another 30 years to be reported (2038)? How can anyone trust his or her memory after 30 years?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/22/08 - 04:36 am
That's an odd concept

That's an odd concept BTurner. If you were molested 30 years ago, would your mind not register it? Would it take that long for your self confidence to forgive your guilt so you could come forward? And yes, sexual perverts are active now and some won't be found out until years from now.

JustaVoice
JustaVoice 10/22/08 - 04:47 am
I'm not doubting that the

I'm not doubting that the accuser(s) is truthful concerning the allegations, but what type of evidence can surface after thirty years? Most people -- who are not in a state of distress -- cannot remember vivid details from that long ago. Or maybe I'm wrong. I hope so.

Nammy
Nammy 10/22/08 - 04:47 am
this makes me sick...PT--and

this makes me sick...PT--and some, not EVER!

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 10/22/08 - 04:56 am
Child rapist are never one

Child rapist are never one time offenders. They are almost impossible to rehab. If this is true, more folks will come forth. Some children struggle all of their life before telling anyone about their abuse. Another horrible fact is that many young girls who are raped repeatedly as a child become extremely provacative and find sex the easiest commodity to pay for what they want in life. The damage this man may have done is beyond our grasp. If he's guilty, put him away forever.

AMAZING
AMAZING 10/22/08 - 05:32 am
Sometimes it takes years to

Sometimes it takes years to be able to deal with the reality of what happened in a tramatic event-maybe he threatened them if they told anyone. Maybe they were ashamed. Unless you have been in that situation yourself-don't judge. I do know that working with students (who have been the victims of child molesters) is heartbreaking-no person should have to endure this kind of treatment. I am all for chemical castration of convicted molesters.

christian134
christian134 10/22/08 - 05:33 am
patriciathomas is very

patriciathomas is very correct about memories being blocked...It was years before my memories came flooding back. Memories that were triggered by a traumatic experience....By that time no one would believe...

youbetcha
youbetcha 10/22/08 - 05:57 am
Any connection to the Malone

Any connection to the Malone case?

Son of God
Son of God 10/22/08 - 06:10 am
Whatsover a man sows, that

Whatsover a man sows, that shall he also reap. There is a season of sowing and reaping. There is nothing hidden in the dark that shall not be revealed. This man is innocent until proven guilty. God still love him now and God's arms are wide open to receive the children and the administrator through repentance and acceptance of his son Jesus Christ. Read Romans 10:9,10. Though a righteous man fall seven times, he will not be utterly cast down. There is a WAY that SEEMETH RIGHT unto a man but the ends thereof are the ways of DEATH AND DESTRUCTION. God is MARRIED to the backslider. There are students and other children who have been raped by their FATHERS but are very successful because of the love of Jesus that is shed abroad in their hearts. Some people just belong to the devil and are the children of the devil so therefore they do the works of the devil and Christ does not dwell in them. God has turned them over to a reprobate mind and they cannot come back to God. We must repent and live holy while we have time. God forbid if our grace runs out. I am sure there are other administrators who may not be abusing sexually but mentally by attempting to condemn staff members. GOD IS LOVE

rufus
rufus 10/22/08 - 06:19 am
If I wanted to hear a sermon

If I wanted to hear a sermon I'd go to church. All of you religious nut cases think you can preach to others who don't want to hear your crap.

426Hemi
426Hemi 10/22/08 - 06:29 am
S o g, I seemeth that your

S o g, I seemeth that your god createth this man, events(s) and all other events that occureth on this planet, so, it must be HIS faulteth. Replyeth?

426Hemi
426Hemi 10/22/08 - 06:30 am
My rib hurts.

My rib hurts.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/22/08 - 06:31 am
are you supporting the pervs

are you supporting the pervs rufus?

426Hemi
426Hemi 10/22/08 - 06:31 am
Oops, my rib HURTETH. There I

Oops, my rib HURTETH. There I feel better already.

rufus
rufus 10/22/08 - 06:38 am
I think perverts should be

I think perverts should be castrated. I also think people that wear religion on their sleeve should be next in line.

Dell4
Dell4 10/22/08 - 06:39 am
rufus, You sound like you

rufus, You sound like you need to go to church. You sound very bitter. I'll be praying for you and the people you come in contact with and their well being.

Dell4
Dell4 10/22/08 - 06:40 am
I wear my religion in my

I wear my religion in my heart.

2tired2argueanymore
2tired2argueanymore 10/22/08 - 06:42 am
I find it hard that this case

I find it hard that this case can be much more than a he said she said situatuion. It seems that if this person is guilty, and that hasn't been proven yet, it may be hard to prove through lack of evidence and credibility of witnesses. If this is something that has been going on for a while then hopefully there will be some accusers come forward that have a more recent encounter. If not this poor man may be getting drug through the mud for something that no one can prove him guilty of yet most will convict him anyway just because he made the news.

rufus
rufus 10/22/08 - 06:47 am
Thanks. Go ahead and pray for

Thanks. Go ahead and pray for me. When you are done please go outside and do a rain dance too.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 10/22/08 - 06:51 am
three decades ago????

three decades ago????

Dell4
Dell4 10/22/08 - 06:51 am
You have been prayed for and

You have been prayed for and about the rain dance, I have some rain coming your way on Friday !

Dell4
Dell4 10/22/08 - 06:52 am
Anything else rufus?? :)

Anything else rufus?? :)

rufus
rufus 10/22/08 - 06:54 am
Enjoy your delusions.

Enjoy your delusions.

kai@reasontostand.org
kai@reasontostand.org 10/22/08 - 06:58 am
rufus; Where do you place

rufus; Where do you place your standard by which you are judging this act to be wrong if not on a transcendent lawgiver (ie God)?

youbetcha
youbetcha 10/22/08 - 07:00 am
has every one just forgoten

has every one just forgoten about malone???? he was from the same area and time frame!!!!!

MichaelDBuchananII
MichaelDBuchananII 10/22/08 - 07:04 am
Multiple accounts and

Multiple accounts and victims...he's most likely guilty. Sentence him to a thousand years and be done with it. Nothing worse than taking the innocence of a child.

reader54
reader54 10/22/08 - 07:05 am
I don't know what took so

I don't know what took so long to out this man.It was obvious to me that he was gay when I attended N.Augusta High in the seventies.Alarms should have sounded because he was much too friendly and social with students.I think that it's similiar to the Count Justin Sane case where that kind of thing was overlooked during that period..This was during the Counter Culture times and the focus was on Reefer Madness!He was an authority figure and we were taught not to question authority.Sort of like now ;when you question your government's actions,you are labeled unpatriotic.

c1212
c1212 10/22/08 - 07:06 am
the way fox 54 was reporting

the way fox 54 was reporting last night, the victim in this case was the same as the victim in the malone case, which i find a little odd, to be honest. especially since the victim was on there talking about seeking money for restitution.

youbetcha
youbetcha 10/22/08 - 07:25 am
c1212 if you followed the

c1212 if you followed the Malone case, they said more names would come out.... duhhhh sounds odd. I hope the victim gets what ever he wants, if money can make it better, so be it.