We're watching, and we see bias

For the past 25 years, I've written many letters to the editor in various newspapers and magazines around the country. Over the past few years, I've seen the policies of the news media take on a different standard, to where they come across as being publicly more for an issue than keeping neutral -- which makes them biased.

I never thought much about the bias that many newspaper editors and television stations have against people. I was naive to think that the news media as a whole would be objective and impartial, allowing both sides to be heard.

For months now, the TVnews and written word have glorified Barack Obama, showing proof positive that the news media are biased and one-sided; otherwise, they would have given McCain the same amount of publicity.

Further, the continuous attacks against the Bush administration and the recent personal attacks against Sarah Palin reinforce my opinion concerning the professionalism in journalism. The news agencies that pander to one side or the other have lost their credibility in my opinion. They can no longer claim that they are unbiased when reporting the news when they blatantly take sides.

The fact that many news outlets only report the negative issues in politics and ignore the positive tells me that they have their own personal agendas while keeping the whole truth from the American people.

Not being affiliated with either party, I can honestly say that people like me see that many in the news media can't be trusted to report the truth without distorting the facts.

In my humble opinion, you who are the perpetrators of said bias will eventually go out of business because you have lost your integrity, while those who report accurately and honestly will prosper.

We are watching and listening.

Gregory J. Topliff

Warrenville, S.C.

owensjef2
owensjef2 10/11/08 - 04:07 am
Hey watch Fox, they are nice

Hey watch Fox, they are nice to Bush, Palin and McCain

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 10/11/08 - 04:16 am
Whiners, all of them.

Whiners, all of them.

angiesdad
angiesdad 10/11/08 - 06:07 am
this guy has written to

this guy has written to different newspapers for 25 years and probably is mad because they won't publish his crybaby letters.we're all biased idiot ,even you,it's human nature.i don't think the treatment of obama is glorified, i would say more like crucified.they've dug all the way back to his elementary school day records,have they done that on mcnutty? have they done that on dizzy sarah?do you know why mccain isn't getting as much attention as obama? because he's boring,he runs every 4 years,he has no charisma,no nothing going for him.obama is new,young,and not just another 70 yr old white man who thinks the whitehouse belongs to him, because he was in a war.the bush administration has been a utter failure, what would you have the papers print instead?most of the letters this paper prints are pro dizzy,and mccain, very few positive letters for obama/biden.you must not realize that this paper endorses republicans in every presidential race, isn't that a little biased?

griesella
griesella 10/11/08 - 07:08 am
dad..Have you tried smiling

dad..Have you tried smiling this morning?

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 10/11/08 - 07:34 am
Who do they think reports

Who do they think reports honestly and without bias?????

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/11/08 - 07:37 am
You almost have it right,

You almost have it right, oj2. FOX is nice to all of the candidates and mean to all of the candidates. They give the news as it happens and don't filter out all of the negative stuff about democrats , like CNN and PBS and the rest of the networks do. I guess from your perspective that makes them really mean. (By the bye, FOX doesn't filter out the bad stuff about Republicans either.)

angiesdad
angiesdad 10/11/08 - 07:42 am
grizzy, i will be smiling on

grizzy, i will be smiling on nov 5th.mcsenile can go blend back into the senate,cindy can toss those pills and start on marijuana to put some meat on her bones,dizzysarah will go back to alaska with the unemployed todd and pregnant daughter,bush will be packing,cheney will be packing,all the bush appointees will be packing,maybe we will never see bush41 and that "thing" he's married to again.oh boy will i be smiling! the only thing i will miss is that guy who plays bush on leno all the time,and the classics from tina fey.happy days are here again!

Tujeez
Tujeez 10/11/08 - 07:51 am
angiesdad, Have YOU DONE THE

angiesdad, Have YOU DONE THE MATH?

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 10/11/08 - 07:52 am
angiesdad, you, sir, are a

angiesdad, you, sir, are a sad little man.

Tujeez
Tujeez 10/11/08 - 07:56 am
One, out of hundreds that

One, out of hundreds that lean ever so slightly the other way angiesdad. I find it ever so refreshing. But I know that you and your cohorts are working on it. Keep up the good work AC.

Tujeez
Tujeez 10/11/08 - 07:57 am
I4PUTT, Have you done the

I4PUTT, Have you done the math?

griesella
griesella 10/11/08 - 08:16 am
I have been trying to get

I have been trying to get 'dad' to smile, but now I have to go on to helping some other sad creature who might need some love and understanding.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/11/08 - 08:28 am
There's bias in the left wing

There's bias in the left wing press. SURPRISE!

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 10/11/08 - 08:36 am
There's bias in the right

There's bias in the right wing press. SUPRISE!

Just me 2
Just me 2 10/11/08 - 09:02 am
I agree with him 100%. He is

I agree with him 100%. He is telling the truth and everyone knows that he is!!! After all it has been VERY blatant.

Bigdawg62
Bigdawg62 10/11/08 - 09:38 am
Well said Mr. Topliff!

Well said Mr. Topliff!

donnymack
donnymack 10/11/08 - 09:42 am
We are all biased or we would

We are all biased or we would not jibber jabber on here

owensjef2
owensjef2 10/11/08 - 10:33 am
Not true Pat, Fox is so bias.

Not true Pat, Fox is so bias. Msnbc has two lefty commentators well three with Matthews, Meadow and Obermen, two of them always have Pat Buchanan on their show. Fox News reporters are openly bias. This morning they did not even try to be fair.

americafirst
americafirst 10/11/08 - 10:40 am
MSNBC is the most blatanly

MSNBC is the most blatanly biased news organization that has ever existed in this country. They are so pro-Obama it is almost absurd. What they did to Hilliary during the primaries and what they are doing to Palin is almost criminal. I haven't heard Keith Obama say one thing remotely critical or even questioning of Obams. While there are some that lean to the left (CNN, CBS, etc.) and some that lean to the right (FOX), MSNBC takes the booby prize.

Bizarro
Bizarro 10/11/08 - 10:56 am
I find it interesting the

I find it interesting the paradox in people wanting to know everything about Palin's "suspicious" political life, but when it comes to Obama's "suspicious" political life some people wear blinders. It is becoming clear that Obama is trying to buy this election-by duping voters with class warfare and "promises" of lower taxes, and directly by paying ACORN to steal votes for him. People argue that McCain has been in govt a long time and what he is saying now isn't what he has done in the past, but the same is true for Obama who has always supported increasing taxes on everyone. Obama is being deceptive in the hopes of votes, because I guarantee he will increase your taxes to feed his new expanded govt. No one in Congress (Dem or Rep) will support his plan to only tax the top tier. That would be counterproductive and alienate them from lobby funds, increase their taxes too, drive business overseas, and at present kill our economy. Obama is playing many of you like a fiddle. Both VP's are poor choices, and McCain is just too old for such a demanding job. Little choice again. Well no choice.

a different drum
a different drum 10/11/08 - 11:17 am
I don't know if they do this

I don't know if they do this on purpose, but I have noticed that when the TV news shows a picture of the 2 candidates together -- it appears to me they usually put Obama out to the front and McCain to the back. Even FOX News has done this. There may be nothing intentional about this. Just something I was curious about. Has anyone else noticed this?

Just the Facts Please
Just the Facts Please 10/11/08 - 11:27 am
No one of quality will run

No one of quality will run for president ever again. Too much focus on the personal lives, Their children, spouses, who they associate with and go to church with ad nausea. The last real good president we had was LBJ and even his life today would have been a train wreck on TV. Top that off with the man who was elected four times to the Presidency... FDR. His personal life would have made the tabloids rich today. Yet both men had the foresight to push through and demand life changing legislation for America's own good. When has the measure of a man been so obtuse? Why can't we elect a George Washington? Because we know they would have said something about him owning slaves and his defeats in the French and Indian War, allowing the British to take Philadelphia and New York in our Revolution, and ordering the shooting of mutinous soldiers. The deprivations of Valley Forge. Let's look at the issues and make a quality choice whichever way we vote. But vote on who you believe will do the better job.

GR-10
GR-10 10/11/08 - 11:28 am
Ron Paul supports Chuck

Ron Paul supports Chuck Baldwin the Constitutional candidate for President. Check him out: http://www.baldwin08.com/ 3rd Party Candidates are also running for President. Learn about them, check out where they stand on issues.

mable8
mable8 10/11/08 - 11:35 am
angiesdad: you are a pathetic

angiesdad: you are a pathetic little boy who wants to be a grown up man. What a pity.

mable8
mable8 10/11/08 - 11:37 am

Thank you, Mr Topliff, for a very well-written letter. It is refreshing to note that there are people who do see through the media's biases.

griesella
griesella 10/11/08 - 11:54 am
oj2 Having Buchanan on MSNBC

oj2 Having Buchanan on MSNBC means what? When he ran for president he ran as an Independent.

christian134
christian134 10/11/08 - 12:12 pm
Who are the perpetrators you

Who are the perpetrators you ask? Well let me enlighten you for a moment Gregory...The power brokers who have enough money to make you and I disappear at will...These people are in control, they manipulate everything perfectly from perfectly prepped puppet to masses of people who are so hungry for a few more dollars that they will gladly fall into line with their plans...A people who will not question as long as they have a roof over their heads with plenty of small time perks to keep their loyalty intact...This is not about race it is about power and greed...

Serioun
Serioun 10/11/08 - 12:18 pm
News is called news for a

News is called news for a reason. It reports what is happening, not always what you like. I am an Obama supporter and I have been yes and no on what has been reported, but I have enough intelligence to seperate the garbage from the gold. And as one with no "interest the Rep. or Dem." I do hope you plan to vote for someone. If not, if you are not a voter, then your voice in silent and not of importance. You give up your right to be represented, then you have no say in the matter. Don't blame us for your disenfranchisment and pain. To get to the root of your problems, look in the mirror and start there.

owensjef2
owensjef2 10/11/08 - 12:42 pm
He's a conservative.

He's a conservative.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 10/11/08 - 12:45 pm
I'm pro-life and against the

I'm pro-life and against the death penalty. For that my ex called me a liberal. I consider him a liberal because he is pro-death penalty when his religion clearly prohibits it. I consider myself a conservative because I follow the teachings of my church. Labels do not always mean the same thing to different people.