Posts of praise linked to officer

Since Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Richard Roundtree came under scrutiny over mislaid files, "GratefulMother" has stuck up for him, posting messages on The Augusta Chronicle's Web site about how he solved the murder of her son and how the disciplinary action was much ado about nothing.

But a check of The Chronicle's records shows the "GratefulMother" account was established in 2003 by someone using Investigator Roundtree's work e-mail address. The investigator's name, a birth date and the address of the sheriff's office -- 401 Walton Way -- are linked to the account.

When shown the entries, Sheriff Ronnie Strength said they would not appear to violate the law or sheriff's office policy if Investigator Roundtree is responsible.

"I don't think it would be anything that internal affairs would be opening a case on in terms of a policy violation, but we would definitely be disappointed," he said.

He requested that the county's information technology department attempt to determine whether the entries came from a county-issued laptop that was given to Investigator Roundtree before he left for FBI training in Quantico, Va., earlier this year. However, officials said they did not have the ability to track the postings to the laptop, according to Sheriff Strength.

The entries appear under several stories detailing the investigation into the former sergeant and his subsequent demotion. Investigator Roundtree was disciplined after leaving boxes of "cold case" murder files, SWAT gear and a personal firearm and ammunition in an apartment he moved out of this year. The investigation concluded with him being demoted and placed on five days of unpaid suspension and 12-months' probation.

The Chronicle Web site allows registered users to sign in with a username and password that gives them access to stories online and the ability to add comments to the bottom of news stories.

In post after post, "GratefulMother" says she is a supporter of Investigator Roundtree because when her son was murdered he "worked day and night to catch his killer."

The writer calls the investigation into the missing files "ridiculus" (sic). In one posting dated Aug. 12, 2008, the writer chastises Sheriff Strength for the investigation.

"Shame on you Sheriff Strength for allowing one of your best employees to be treated this way," the post stated.

So far, Investigator Roundtree has refused to comment on the entries. An e-mail from his account sent to The Chronicle on Wednesday night requested his account be removed because he believes someone is illegally accessing it.

Shortly after 7 p.m. Thursday, the display name on the account was changed to (?). The newspaper has frozen the account to prevent further changes.

According to Jonathan Dozier, The Chronicle's online director, there are two ways someone could access another's account, aside from hacking into the company's system. One is by guessing the username and password to gain access to the Web site. The other could occur if someone did not log out of the site and someone else accessed it through the same computer.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

See the comments that were posted online

TIMELINE

"Gratefulmother" began posting on The AugustaChronicle Web site on June 3 under a story about Investigator Richard Roundtree's involvement with Dad's in Action, a group that provides male mentoring for area middle-school students. "Gratefulmother" has posted 24 comments over the past four months.. The majority of the entries regard Investigator Roundtree and are comments on stories about an ongoing investigation into the files of seven murder cases left in his former apartment. Shortly after 7 p.m. Thursday, the display name on the account was changed to (?). To read the posts, go to augustachronicle.com/metro

SUSPICIOUS POSTINGS

"Gratefulmother" began posting on The Chronicle's Web site June 3 under a story about Investigator Richard Roundtree's involvement with Dads in Action, a group that provides male mentoring for area middle school pupils. "Gratefulmother" has posted 24 comments over the past four months. The majority of the entries regard Investigator Roundtree and are comments on stories about an ongoing investigation into the files of seven murder cases left in his former apartment. Shortly after 7 p.m. Thursday, the display name on the account was changed to (?).

Comments (104)

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/10/08 - 04:53 am

I don't understand the point

I don't understand the point of this article? If public opinion is important to the case, Roundtree should be supporting himself anyway he can, whether by posting or arranging for someone else to post. I don't feel this falls into the dirty tricks category and certainly doesn't rate an article in the paper. Is there a personal vendetta involved here? Isn't Sheriff Strength handling this case properly?

fred1217
fred1217 10/10/08 - 05:43 am

Well, I guess the moral of

Well, I guess the moral of this story is that if you're not saying anything positive about George W. Bush, the Republican Party or any of the Augusta Chronicle's "Elected Team" you're going to get your identity exposed. Whatever happened to "Privacy" and free speech? I guess under the excuse of 9-11 that all went away. I thought there's supposed to be this huge Liberal Bias in the news anyway. Seems like I hear this reported everyday from people in the news bashing Liberals. As for this not being a crime. There doesn't have to be a crime committed to satisfy the radicals, just ask Commissioner Holland, who was railroaded into a censure, he committed no crime either. SHAME ON THE CHRONICLE...you should support FREE SPEECH, that's what our troops are dying for in Iraq, since we found no WMDs. Don't you want the same rights and freedoms here in Augusta. Has the Chronicle ever traced the identify of a blogger or editorial writer that bashed a Democrat? This is probably the worst story I've seen since the slanted Richmond Counted Standardized Test Score story where they reported Richmond County scores with a negative slant and Columbia Co. scores positively. Time for Change!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/10/08 - 06:23 am

Police officers are

Police officers are democrats? I don't understand any of your post fred1217

PAW
PAW 10/10/08 - 06:24 am

"IN My MOST HUMBLE OPINION"

"IN My MOST HUMBLE OPINION" Investigator RoundTree was the only one who could give Sheriff Strength a run for sheriff. He knew this, so he found anything to accuse RoundTree doing. Sheriff Strength you are a coward and the people that helped you set RoundTree up are bigger cowards.

Again this is MY MOST HUMBLE OPINION

justus4
justus4 10/10/08 - 06:36 am

Hey Bro, U better get outta

Hey Bro, U better get outta there and use your skills in another community, where the administration has some minorities. These people are up to no good and U know the legal aspects of this area, so get out and don't look back.

NEone
NEone 10/10/08 - 06:40 am

Isn't the point of the story

Isn't the point of the story that Roundtree was attempting to make it look like there was community support for him by using a name appearing to be a grateful mother rather than being himself? May not be illegal, but it certainly calls his own character into question. If Roundtree wants to run for sheriff, is this the kind of leader you want? Not me.

Paws..
Paws.. 10/10/08 - 07:01 am

Maybe it was Roundtree

Maybe it was Roundtree himself; maybe not. The point is that it was deceptive. There seems to be a lot of irregularities associated with Roundtree.

raasheedleetawanmomood
raasheedleetawanmomood 10/10/08 - 07:04 am

Justus4 and Paw, you "home

Justus4 and Paw, you "home boys" need to "homey" on home!

55 F-100
55 F-100 10/10/08 - 07:11 am

It is obvious that "fred1217"

It is obvious that "fred1217" received his "crazy" check from the government recently, and that he doubled-up on the number of cans of spray paint tht he is huffing. As far as PAW's HUMBLE OPINION is concerned, that is the biggest load of Buffalo Sierra that I have ever heard. Roundtree has no one to blame but himself for being lazy and uncaring when he moved out of that apartment, and did not take all of his belongings with him. Demote him to jailer on the evening shift and let him EARN his way back to a level of trust. And PAW, if you want to remain anonymous after posting your ridiculous HUMBLE OPINION, you really should remove your CYNTHIA MCKINNEY FOR PRESIDENT campaign buttons and bumper stickers. Trust me cuz, they are a dead giveaway.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 10/10/08 - 07:16 am

What a way to start a Friday

What a way to start a Friday off. I agree with PT 1000% on this. The Sheriff should be looking at his department for letting this thing play out in the media. I am very disappointed in the Chronicle because I think every poster on here expect some sense of privacy. Whom will you out next, someone that criticizes a candidate that you support? I would think that every poster on here should be deeply concerned. The ironic thing about it is has this been an agency attempting to force a Chronicle Reporter to reveal it's source, the paper would have gone to the Supreme Court in an attempt to keep from doing so.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 10/10/08 - 07:21 am

PAW forget what these

PAW forget what these NAYSAYERS think. I have heard the same thing that this was an attempt to prevent Roundtree from challenging the Sheriff's hand picked successor should he decide to not run for re-election. The biggest disappointment is with the Chronicle.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/10/08 - 07:23 am

I'm patriciathomas and I

I'm patriciathomas and I agree with HYPOCRITES 08 agreeing with me.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 10/10/08 - 07:29 am

Well you better hold on to

Well you better hold on to your seat, because I agreed with you on the article about the drunk driver. It has to be this flu that I am coming down with. LOL

caresabouththecounty
caresabouththecounty 10/10/08 - 07:36 am

Patriciathomas get your facts

Patriciathomas get your facts straight not all police officers are democrats some are smarter than you think. If Roundtree was posting his own kudos, he was attempting to make everyone think that he did do his job. Compare him to the fireman that sets his own fires.

ThatOne
ThatOne 10/10/08 - 07:37 am

I;m so glad I don't live in

I;m so glad I don't live in the CSRA anymore...I only come home to hunt and visit relatives...You people really need to expand your talking points!!! The politics at the RCSD has always led to it's demise and low morale...I know this personally; but hey, you people still there need to demand better but unfortunately you don't...The leaderrs like Strength are an example of what you allow...

whogivesacare
whogivesacare 10/10/08 - 07:51 am

I think you journalist need

I think you journalist need to stop using the Chronicle as a forum to conduct your personal vendetta. If you are suggesting that R. Roundtree should be held to a higher regard because he is a public official, then journalist should be NO different. We, the readers, are NOT interested in your petty school yard tactics.....report on the news. If you've forgotten what that is, buy a NY Times and follow suit.

raasheedleetawanmomood
raasheedleetawanmomood 10/10/08 - 07:56 am

Roundtree was making an

Roundtree was making an attempt to take the heat off the real issues and those were: the weapons and case files he left in his apartment!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/10/08 - 08:20 am

The facts of the Roundtree

The facts of the Roundtree case have been printed for all to see. So what if Roundtree wants to support his point of view? We've formed an opinion of who he is, why can't he state his opinion anonymously or otherwise? Will that trick us into changing our opinion?

Edward1968
Edward1968 10/10/08 - 08:22 am

Patriciathomas posted before

Patriciathomas posted before having her coffee again!!

christian134
christian134 10/10/08 - 08:24 am

Hey and morning to you bro

Hey and morning to you bro Justus...:-) As the question was asked "Is this as good as it gets?" Must be...Roundtree should rightly have been demoted for his lack of responsibility to his job and the people he has sworn to protect and serve(all people)...As far as this article it serves no purpose other than to break the very rules of privacy that you, Chronicle, demand of your readers...That was wrong and quite frankly I believe you owe your readers as well as Roundtree and the Judge an apology...

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 10/10/08 - 08:29 am

Paw...you have no reason & I

Paw...you have no reason & I know you have no evidence to be making comments about Shreiff Strength that way. The Sheriff has allways been a fair & honest man, he has never done anything to make anyone think he was anything but honest. Augusta has had a past of people in high office's doing things dis-honest but Shreiff Strength is not one of them. There has never been even a suggestion that the Shreiff done anything shaddy. It is a sad thing when someone makes statements that try to tarnish one's good name without concrete evidence. Sounds like you think Roundtree is being treated unfair because of his skin color & that is usually the case when anyone of color get accused of being crooked. Could it be he's guilty? I don't know, you don't know & it's not our job to discover if he is or not. And on the other hand also it's not your job to be pointing fingers & calling names & making claims against the Shreiff's character. You should be ashamed our Shreiff has NEVER done anything to warrant a claim aimed at him the way you have done. And everything is not a race issue untill people like you who for one reason or another make it one.

chey
chey 10/10/08 - 08:32 am

I agree with Patriciathomas

I agree with Patriciathomas and Christian134. This article is pointless, and makes me not want to post anything (not that I post much)on the comments section. I don't have anything to hide, but at the same time, it makes me wonder what the chronicles intention is with these posts.

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 10/10/08 - 08:49 am

He needs to go. If this is a

He needs to go. If this is a sign of his character and integerity then he needs to be on his way. To all his supporters, (brothers and sisters) we expect the same defensive comments from you and the rest of the dims.

coolchic
coolchic 10/10/08 - 08:49 am

I really do attempt to

I really do attempt to consider both sides of the issue before I form an opinion. I really have to think that there's more to this issue than is being played out in the media (there always is). I can't help but think that there's a rat somewhere in all of this. Someone who was so highly regarded in law enforcement is now being ridiculed in the media. I am not condoning Mr. Roundtree's conduct, but I do believe that this entire matter should have been an internal issue from the start. I'm certain that the public is not enlightened on most internal affair issues. I have to believe that there's a reason why this one, in particular, is being made so public. What an indignant way to handle this entire thing. I have never met nor, to the best of my recollection, even had a conversation with Mr. Roundtree. I feel confident that there will be some sort of background check on my identity to confirm my statement.

ds6987
ds6987 10/10/08 - 09:03 am

???... Who CARES? If it is

???... Who CARES? If it is him I'm glad he is standing up for himself. What's next? Maybe the Chronicle is going to check and see how many posts come from RCSO employees, friends or family members? Well one thing for sure. I'm glad there is no bigger news to post in Augusta. Way to go Augusta Chronicle...

dani
dani 10/10/08 - 09:08 am

Over the years I had high

Over the years I had high regards for Roundtree. I felt that he was one of the departments top investigators. He made mistakes, okay. Can we please move on.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/10/08 - 09:22 am

caresaboutcountry, did you

caresaboutcountry, did you see the question mark in my comment? It means I have a question about the comment made by fred1217. It didn't mean I think all officers are Dems.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/10/08 - 09:23 am

Edward1968, ?

Edward1968, ?

givitup
givitup 10/10/08 - 09:29 am

If Internal Affairs want to

If Internal Affairs want to investigate something. Find out who that "Nasty Cop" was talking to on the phone. Augusta can see what inadequate, small-minded, and disgusting person would listen to a man that calls black children "monkeys", and would like to rape black women with a "glock". Instigate That!!!

griesella
griesella 10/10/08 - 09:32 am

givitup..White childern are

givitup..White childern are called "monkeys'" too. I know, because it's a term I hear a lot. You know the saying "if the shoe fits"? Well, stop trying to wear shoes that doesn't fit.

Meth use on rise in Richmond County

Production of meth, a highly addictive drug made from household cold medicine, batteries, drain cleaner, brake fluid and other harmful chemicals, increased in recent years when the shake-and-bake ...