Note: Announcements for participatory events must be written, delivered, mailed or faxed to The Augusta Chronicle, P.O. Box 1928, Augusta, Ga. 30903-1928, with a return address and phone number. No phone calls are accepted. Fax number: (706) 823-3408. The announcements will be published weekly.
- The Southeastern Baseball Showcase will be held at W. L. Bill Evans Field in College Park, Ga., at noon on Oct. 18 . The showcase is for students in the high school class of 2009 and 2010. For more information, visit www.angelfire.com/sports/showcase or call (404) 869-7966.
- The AUG Lady Ballers will hold a benefit event on Oct. 11 at the YMCA on Wheeler Road to help raise money for the Alzheimer's Association. The event will consist of a dance off, a fashion show, basketball games for men and women, and motivational guest speakers. If you would like to play in the games, model, or be a part of the event in any way, contact Cheryl Bryant at (706) 360-0299 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact the Lady Ballers at (706) 434-0169.
- The Town of Jackson, S.C., will have a fishing tournament on Oct. 11. The event will be held at the Aiken County Boat Landing. Contests will include different categories of fish. For more information, call Lynn Sullivan at (803) 471-9778.
- The Georgia State Conference NAACP will play host to the second annual William Breeding Sr. Memorial Golf Tournament on Wednesday at Forest Hills Golf Club. The event will be the kickoff for the 66th annual state convention which begins on Wednesday and ends Oct. 12 at the Marriott Riverfront Hotel and Suites. Play will begin at 1:30 p.m. The cost is $65 per person and $260 per team. For additional information, call the Augusta Branch NAACP at (706) 284-0275 or Marcus Brinson at (706) 951-4113.
- Wackenhut is holding its 21st annual United Way Golf Tournament on Oct. 20 at Woodside Plantation Country Club in Aiken. Registration will begin at 8:30 a.m., with a putting contest to be held from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. Lunch will be served from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., and there will be a shotgun start at noon. The cost is $440 per foursome, with the entry fee donated to United Way. The tournament will be Captain's Choice format, with a gross and net handicap division. Lunch and dinner will be provided. For additional information, contact Chuck Selman at (803) 952-7789 or email@example.com or Rob Davis at (803) 952-7582 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The sixth annual North Augusta Classic will be held on Oct. 21 at the River Golf Club. For more information, contact Kathy Gilliland at (803) 510-0011 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Immaculate Conception Academy will hold its annual scholarship fund golf tournament on Oct. 25 at Forest Hills Golf Club. Check-in is at noon with a shotgun start at 1 p.m. Cost is $60 per person or $200 per team. For more information, contact Ed Belinski at (706) 7212-9964 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A meet-and-greet fundraiser pancake dinner for U.S. Paralympian Scott Winkler will be held on Oct. 9 at Sunrise Grill, located at 3830 Washington Road, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $7 in advance and $9 at the door. Contact Jeff Snover at (706) 726-3170 for information.
l The Cumbee Center Whiskey Road Race will be held on Saturday . The race will start and end at the Odell Weeks Recreation Center in Aiken. There will be a 2-mile race beginning at 7:30 a.m.; a 10K at 8 a.m.; a 1-mile for ages 16 and under at 9:15 a.m.; a half-mile for ages 8 and under at 9:30 a.m.; and a tot trot for ages 5 and under at 9:40 a.m. The pre-registration fee for the 10K and 2-mile is $15, the 1-mile is $10, and the half-mile and tot trot are each $5. Registration will be available starting at 6:45 a.m. All proceeds benefit the Cumbee Center to Assist Abused Persons. Applications are available at Odell Weeks Center or the Cumbee Center. You can also e-mail email@example.com, call Jason Ritch at (803) 649-0480, or visit www.strictlyrunning.com.
- The 13.1-mile Augusta Chronicle Half Marathon will take place on Oct. 26 . The race will begin and end at the Augusta Common. The race weekend's festivities also include the Family Y 5K race, a race and fitness expo, and a kids' trick-or-treat trot race. Race registration will begin on Oct. 24 at the Augusta Marriott Hotel & Suites. The race will begin at 7 a.m. For additional information, visit www.augusthalf.org.
- The Georgia Rockers will hold tryouts for their 10U fast-pitch travel team on Sunday at 2 p.m. at Patriots Park. If interested, visit www.eteamz.com/georgiarockers, or call Ike Branch at (706) 860-3886 or (706) 373-9581 or Chuck Faulkner at (706) 364-1840 for more information.
- The Roadrunners fast-pitch softball team is looking for players for their 16U team. They will be holding a tryout at Patriots Park on Oct. 11 at 12:30 p.m. Anyone planning to attend should call (706) 394-9144 or (706) 650-7937.
- The Augusta Recreation and Parks Department is looking for teams for its fall coed softball league. Also, the senior men's fall softball league plays every Tuesday at Diamond Lakes Regional Park. Call Lida Gregg at (706) 842-2682 for more details.
- Master Instructor Michael L. Weintraub will hold "No Taekwondo, No Discipline: Know Taekwondo, Know Discipline" classes at "HanaNim's House" at Harrisburg Family Life Center, located at 1901 Fenwick Street. To reserve your place, call (706) 736-1600.
- Python Power League's U.S.A. "Drug-Free" Powerlifting Championships will be held Oct. 18 beginning at 11 a.m. The event will be held at the Relax Inn, located at 1365 Gordon Highway. Entry fee is $40 for first division, $30 for any additional division. Admission is $5 for spectators. For more information, call (706) 790-3806 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.