Across the area

Man denies role in robbery

A jury might decide by this afternoon whether a former high school football standout took part in the robbery of the fast-food restaurant where he worked.

Timothy Wright, 21, testified Tuesday in Richmond County Superior Court that he was set up by two friends in April 2006 and didn't know Johnny Overstreet and Kenneth Walker had robbed several restaurants before they hit the Gordon Highway Burger King on April 14, 2006.

Mr. Wright, then a junior at Lucy C. Laney High School, was working that night.

Sheriff's officers arrested Mr. Wright a few days later.

After a night in jail, he told an investigator that Mr. Walker told him of the plan to rob Burger King and that he let Mr. Walker borrow his car that night.

Mr. Overstreet is serving life in prison. Mr. Walker is serving a 20-year prison sentence to be followed by 15 years on probation.

County will hold flu clinics

The Columbia County Health Department will hold a series of flu clinics this month starting today.

The first will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the auditorium of the Evans Government Complex, 630 Ronald Reagan Drive, Evans.

Other clinics will be held at health department clinics in Appling and Grovetown, schools and the government complex.

Flu vaccines are available by appointment only.

To make an appointment, call the Evans health clinic at (706) 868-3330, the Appling health clinic at (706) 541-1318 or the Grovetown clinic at (706) 556-3727.

Man, woman charged in 1-month-old's death

An Augusta woman and a Warrenton man were charged with murder Tuesday in the January death of an infant.

Frances Nicole Howard, 23, of the 3300 block of Kenny Road, and Matthew Craig Reynolds, 20, of the 100 block of Stony Road, were arrested and taken to the Richmond County jail, according to jail records.

On Jan. 5, police received a call about a 1-month-old boy not breathing at Ms. Howard's home, according to a police report filed at the time.

Ambulance workers began doing CPR on the infant, who was taken to Doctors Hospital, the report states. The report doesn't state when the child died, but the case was turned over to an investigator at the time and was considered a "suspicious situation."

Man, 23, dies after losing control of truck

A 23-year-old Barnwell County man was killed Tuesday morning in a single-vehicle crash on Old Barnwell Road in Aiken County.

According to a statement by the Aiken County coroner, the driver of the 2003 Chevrolet pickup has been identified as Roger K. Dunbar of Snelling.

Mr. Dunbar was traveling northwest on Old Barnwell Road about 8:30 a.m. when he lost control of his vehicle in a curve and struck a utility pole, authorities said.

Drought conditions in Augusta now extreme

The Augusta area is experiencing extreme drought, the second worst classification, according to Georgia's state climatologist.

"Tropical Storm Fay brought beneficial rain to Georgia in late August," David Stooksbury said Tuesday. "But a very dry September has led to the return of low stream flows across the state and worse drought conditions."

Extreme drought conditions exist in an area north and east of a line that runs from Burke, Jefferson, Washington and Hancock counties, through the metro Atlanta area and into northwest Georgia, Dr. Stooksbury said. Extreme drought conditions occur about once every 50 years, he said.

In July, the Augusta area was experiencing severe drought, the third worst category.

Animal group's land annexation approved

The Aiken City Council has approved on first reading an annexation request made by the Aiken Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

The group recently purchased 10.4 acres off Willow Run Road with plans to build a 20,000-square-foot facility. Its current facility on Wire Road, built in 1981, is about 4,000 square feet and can house about 75 dogs and 30 cats.

The city also plans to build the city's first dog park on 2.3 acres of land next to the new shelter. The council approved the request on first reading Monday.

A second reading and public hearing will be held at the council's next meeting in October.

Authorities seek man in attempted assault

Aiken Public Safety is asking for help in identifying a man wanted in an attempted criminal sexual assault Friday at Griffin Pool and Spa on Pine Log Road.

The assailant is described as black, clean shaven, with short hair, 6 feet tall and about 180 pounds. He was wearing a red sweatshirt and dark blue jeans, Lt. David Turno said in a news release.

In the couple of weeks before the attempted attack, Lt. Turno said, the man was seen walking on Pine Log Road between Power House and Banks Mill roads.

During Friday's attack, the man was armed with a knife, and investigators say he should not be approached.

Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Martin Sawyer at Aiken Public Safety at (803) 642-7688, or Crimestoppers of the Midlands at (888) 274-6372.

Fort Gordon residents are arrested in theft

ATHENS --- Two Fort Gordon residents were arrested this week by University of Georgia police after being accused of stealing belongings valued at $2,015 from the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity house.

Joseph Andrew Zwirn, 20, and Kevin Mitchell Leach, 25, each were charged with felony theft by taking.

The victim called campus police about 4:15 p.m. Sunday to report two men went into his room and took a laptop computer, a hard drive, a backpack and a PlayStation 3, police said, and soon after an Athens-Clarke police officer stopped a car that matched the description the men drove away in.

The stolen belongings were in the car, according to police.

A UGA police spokesman didn't know whether the thieves sneaked into the fraternity house or were guests.

-- From staff and wire reports

NEone
NEone 10/01/08 - 04:37 am
If we are in such an extreme

If we are in such an extreme state of drought, why is watering existing lawns allowed at all?

Reality
Reality 10/01/08 - 05:29 am
Fort Gordon residents, they

Fort Gordon residents, they seem a bit old, are they soldiers?....Maybe Fort Gordon is housing people now.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/01/08 - 05:58 am
Seems like Mr Wright made a

Seems like Mr Wright made a poor choice and got caught and now Mr Wright is pleading innocent by reason of stupidity. Mr Wright is about to be unhappy.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/01/08 - 06:01 am
A man had a wreck because he

A man had a wreck because he lost control of his truck? I guess that means when he hit that pole it wasn't suicide. I wonder how they figured that out.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/01/08 - 06:04 am
Drought in Augusta. Dang that

Drought in Augusta. Dang that Bush. He sure has been a bad president. Seems like if he can send a hurricane to New Orleans, he could at least send some rain to Augusta...and pay my health insurance, and my gasoline bill, and get me a new motorcycle.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/01/08 - 06:05 am
I wonder if the attempted

I wonder if the attempted sexual assault was on a man or a woman.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/01/08 - 06:08 am
Good nab on the home

Good nab on the home invasion. Way to go Athens-Clarke police.

christian134
christian134 10/01/08 - 06:49 am
I pray they find the

I pray they find the criminal, who is preying on women(I assume), put him in the middle of town square on a chain and let the people have their way with him...After that he needs to be behind bars and working on a chain gang for life....

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 10/01/08 - 06:55 am
Someone has too much time on

Someone has too much time on their hands this morning, maybe there were skid marks. At any rate why does that matter he's dead show some respect for the family. And nobody accused Bush of sending the hurricane to New orleans, they only accused him of poor response to the needs of hurricane victims, big difference.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 10/01/08 - 06:58 am
For a christian you sure have

For a christian you sure have some violent solutions to every story in the newspaper. Most christians forgive and love their neighbors.

areyoukidding
areyoukidding 10/01/08 - 07:35 am
Thank you pantherluvcik. She

Thank you pantherluvcik. She has time on her hands, but let us be grateful she uses it to share her superior knowledge with us.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/01/08 - 07:39 am
Dems know about skid marks.

Dems know about skid marks.

ibbwalkingtomempheis
ibbwalkingtomempheis 10/01/08 - 07:43 am
Sounds like little Wright

Sounds like little Wright confessed to me. I think he will have time to meditate and when he gets out his booty will be aas large as his hat size!

UrNotReady4TheTruth
UrNotReady4TheTruth 10/01/08 - 07:48 am
Because Dems have to come

Because Dems have to come clean them up so the rest of the country won't have to waddle in what the Republicans left behind!

christian134
christian134 10/01/08 - 07:50 am
Uhhhmmm let me see

Uhhhmmm let me see panterhluvcik...If one member of your family were to be raped and killed or just raped you would walk up to them and say hey how ya doing hope you have a nice day...Right and since my name screams out Christian to you in no way prevents me from wanting some sort of justice for these scum...But let me clue you in on a little known secret...The name I use is spelled with a small "c"...There is a marked difference...But I digress let me once more say this person needs to be caught and Oh Okay lets not put him on a chain but maybe just in some old fashioned stocks...Does that help you out any pantherluvick...:-)

disssman
disssman 10/01/08 - 08:24 am
NEone, the answer is because

NEone, the answer is because we love our golf courses and must keep them watered so people loke you can play. Of course you realize these facilities are hundreds of acres in size so it takes a little more water than most people think. At first when I looked at your posting I thought you were talking about peoples yards, but then I realized that toy must know that people live mainly on Quarter Acre lots, and surely you wouldn't accuse them of wasting water.

disssman
disssman 10/01/08 - 08:24 am
NEone, the answer is because

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 10/01/08 - 08:37 am
So Mr. Wright lets the

So Mr. Wright lets the robbers use his car and says he was set up? Like I said yesterday, he looks guilty and is guilty.

Reality
Reality 10/01/08 - 08:41 am
Super-size that sentence

Super-size that sentence please....

heartablazing
heartablazing 10/01/08 - 09:03 am
Being Burger King that

Being Burger King that sentence should be "King sized"!

heartablazing
heartablazing 10/01/08 - 09:03 am
Being Burger King that

Being Burger King that sentence should be "King sized"!

426Hemi
426Hemi 10/01/08 - 09:16 am
How do I know which clean

How do I know which clean shaven, 6 foot black man I should not approach? I guess I aint gettin' near any of you!

426Hemi
426Hemi 10/01/08 - 09:21 am
How do I know which clean

426Hemi
426Hemi 10/01/08 - 09:25 am
Man, everybody's

Man, everybody's double-talkin' today.

heartablazing
heartablazing 10/01/08 - 10:20 am
Double-talking is what

Double-talking is what politicians do. Now we get to see what double talking looks like on paper.

stillamazed
stillamazed 10/01/08 - 10:20 am
What about all the water

What about all the water being wasted into the streets from businesses that don't have their sprinkler systems adjusted properly. Every morning as I drive into Grovetown their is water all out in the street.........

psikes
psikes 10/01/08 - 04:02 pm
patriciathomas, have you ever

patriciathomas, have you ever lost a loved one or a special friend??? You should think about what his family is going through before you leave your dumb comments! Why would you even leave a comment at all about the accident? Get a life! For those of you with a heart out there, please keep the Dunbar family in your prayers. He has only been married a few months and had his whole life ahead of him. R.I.P Roger Kent Dunbar.

owensjef2
owensjef2 10/01/08 - 04:22 pm
Geez Pat, did you have to be

Geez Pat, did you have to be so rough today.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 10/01/08 - 05:53 pm
I knew Mr. Dunbar. He used

I knew Mr. Dunbar. He used to be in my Driver's Ed class. RIP. :(

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 10/01/08 - 05:56 pm
pat, your comment about Kent

pat, your comment about Kent was way beyond heartless! You and the cons make me sick!

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...