Former football standout on trial

A former high school football star will contend at his trial this week that he was a victim, not a participant, in a 2006 robbery of the restaurant where he worked.

Timothy Wright, 21, has pleaded not guilty in Richmond County Superior Court to armed robbery and other charges. Testimony continues this morning.

Mr. Wright was one of six young men arrested in the spring of 2006. Like Mr. Wright, three others were standout football players at Lucy C. Laney High School.

Mr. Wright, then a junior, worked part-time at the Burger King at 1601 Gordon Highway.

A few minutes after the midnight closing on April 14, 2006, two masked men entered through the back door that Mr. Wright and another employee opened to take out trash.

Brian Haggard, the assistant manager, testified he was counting money at the cash register when he heard someone say "get down on the floor." He turned and saw a masked man with a gun. He thought it was an employee joking around until the assailant put the gun to his head and repeated the command, Mr. Haggard testified.

The second robber, armed with a knife, then forced him to the office safe.

Mr. Haggard and Mr. Wright's other co-workers that night became suspicious of Mr. Wright after the robbery. He was on his cell phone at closing time, repeatedly looked through the windows and volunteered to help take the trash out the back door.

Mr. Wright was only charged in connection with the Burger King robbery. Others arrested faced charges for several robberies.

Johnny Overstreet is serving life in prison for his role in the robberies. Marquise D. Taylor is serving a 12-year prison term to be followed by 15 years on probation. Derrick S. Garrett is serving a 15-year prison sentence to be followed by 15 years on probation. And Kenneth L. Walker is serving a 20-year prison sentence to be followed by 15 years on probation. Charges against Reginald Rouse, who has pleaded not guilty, are pending.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/30/08 - 05:12 am
Was their any witness

Was their any witness connection to this robbery? Did any of the other arrested robbers implicate him? If I were on the jury they sure better have more evidence than just the other employees saw him on his phone and looking out the windows. I worked at a burger joint when I was a kid. At closing time we all looked out the windows to see people cruising. If we would have had cell phones I'm sure we would have been talking on them too. My 2 teenagers are either talking or texting on theirs constantly. I'd have to see more proof than what this article states for me to vote on a conviction. Sounds more like guilt by association.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/30/08 - 07:00 am
Hey and the others just

Hey and the others just messed their lives up... sad.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 09/30/08 - 07:08 am
I agree they should have a

I agree they should have a lot more evidence than this, someone else should have implicated him if he were involved. Just because he knows criminals, doesn't make him one.

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 09/30/08 - 07:13 am
You can bet they have more

You can bet they have more evidence than talking on the phone, they are not going to put all the evidence in the chronicle, of an open case. So don't start blaming the cops because he is black. Save your opinion till you hear the evidence. It's this kind of attitude that makes people render a decision before it ever get's to trial.

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 09/30/08 - 07:16 am
See you got people jumping on

See you got people jumping on your wagon allready, soon they will be screaming LET HIM GO!

426Hemi
426Hemi 09/30/08 - 07:40 am
Al, Jesse? Comments from the

Al, Jesse? Comments from the socio-economic pool of degenerate genes?

426Hemi
426Hemi 09/30/08 - 07:41 am
slique, j4? Come on, now!

slique, j4? Come on, now! Ya'll gotta have a comment, or two!!! Wese waitin'

ripjones
ripjones 09/30/08 - 07:57 am
Ask one simple question --

Ask one simple question -- Had he ever in the past, volunteered to help take out the trash?? If the answer is yes, then sit down and shut up. If the answer is no, then something smells pretty stinky.

na_bboy
na_bboy 09/30/08 - 08:03 am
I would hope he wouldn't be

I would hope he wouldn't be that stupid to be working there and think he could get away with robbing the restaurant, but if he is guilty then accept his punishment.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/30/08 - 08:28 am
I commented on the evidence

I commented on the evidence mentioned in the article. I wouldn't want an innocent person in jail no matter what color. Some of you people are really in need of help.

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/30/08 - 08:34 am
politicallyncorrect, no where

politicallyncorrect, no where in the postings did I read where race was mentioned or blaming the cops.

goodcopgirl
goodcopgirl 09/30/08 - 08:38 am
I am sure they have more

I am sure they have more evidence that is not disclosed to the media. He is probably friends with these guys.

na_bboy
na_bboy 09/30/08 - 08:44 am
They all played at Laney, a

They all played at Laney, a few jeopardized schorlarships, more importantly freedom, kids needs better advisors, and judgement.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 09/30/08 - 09:57 am
That's because politically

That's because politically correct wish to made it a racial thing. That way his buddies like PaulSpoon aka Memphis can chime in with their racist B.S. Just wait and they will not disappoint you.

KingJames
KingJames 09/30/08 - 09:58 am
The article doesn't disclose

The article doesn't disclose all of the evidence. If all the DA has is what is written here, this guy seems innocent. When I was a kid and worked at a restaurant, I would call to make sure my ride was on the way and look out the window to see if they were waiting. Nothing unusual there. The guys who actually robbed the BK may have known this guy worked there, but that doesn't mean he knew they were going to rob the place. This case as presented in the AC is weak. Politicallyncorrect and 426Hemi, try looking beyond the race of the defendant sometimes and just look at what is printed in the paper. Stop always bringing up race all the time. Nobody else mentioned it. Nobody else said the cops were trying to put Wright away because he was black except you two. Nobody else is looking for Al or Jesse. Sounds like the only two people who want that are you guys. Everyone else is sticking to commenting on what is printed. You guys should do the same.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/30/08 - 09:59 am
Like I said. They must have

Like I said. They must have more evidence other than what has been mentioned in this article. I'm glad when I was a youth I didn't get thrown in jail everytime someone I was close to and hung around with got arrested.....geesh I might still be in.

paulwehitherspoons
paulwehitherspoons 09/30/08 - 10:23 am
Hey hippynappy, how you doing

Hey hippynappy, how you doing this fine morning, porch puppy? He was on a cell phone, you think they have records, duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Mugatu
Mugatu 09/30/08 - 10:58 am
He confessed, and his

He confessed, and his co-defendants implicated him.

1trugent
1trugent 09/30/08 - 11:08 am
A lot of robberies being

A lot of robberies being committed are inside jobs. I had a friend who was a manager of a resturant on the southside of town and she was set up in a similar way. The garbage was supposed to be taken out the night before and when she opened up, she had to do it herself. Guess who was waiting when she took it out the back door? The robbers and it was a cut and dry case, because she had been set up by none other than her own employees who were and still are low life thugs. Chances are this guy is likely guilty. Seems to suspcious to me...and I'm sure they have a lot more than just being on the cellphone.

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 09/30/08 - 11:26 am
He looks guilty.

He looks guilty.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/30/08 - 11:27 am
You must be kidding. He looks

You must be kidding. He looks guilty? Your comment makes you look retarded.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/30/08 - 11:30 am
So ba/ma based on your

So ba/ma based on your friends experience and not on evidence you think this guy is guilty? I hope you people don't ever get jury duty.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/30/08 - 11:33 am
Mug if you have some inside

Mug if you have some inside knowledge please share. I have not seen where he confessed nor been implicated. This article certainly doesn't state any of those things but people here are sure ready to hang him anyways. If he's guilty then he deserves just punishment. He also is innocent until PROVEN guilty.

rufus
rufus 09/30/08 - 11:43 am
There goes his burger

There goes his burger flipping career. He could have moved up to fry master in a few years

KingJames
KingJames 09/30/08 - 11:47 am
Wyldsfam4, you seem to ve

Wyldsfam4, you seem to ve very reasonable. The folks in Augusta automatically assume someone is guilty, no matter what evidence is presented. Looking at his mugshot and saying he looks guitly is crazy. It's a mugshot! What is the guy supposed to do, smile for the camera? The nut case who said that would look guilty, too if they had their mugshot taken. These people are crazy. They should try reading sometimes instead of just looking at the pictures.

rufus
rufus 09/30/08 - 11:48 am
I've never had a mugshot

I've never had a mugshot taken. What's it like?

KingJames
KingJames 09/30/08 - 12:27 pm
Rufus, that's my point

Rufus, that's my point exactly. I can't tell you what having a mugshot taken is like, but what I can say is that the person being booked into jail probably doesn't want to smile. When that same mugshot appears in the AC, people are quick to say how guilty the person looks without considering that they probably wouldn't have smiled either.

peppernik
peppernik 09/30/08 - 12:39 pm
wyldsfam4, if they charged

wyldsfam4, if they charged Wright in connection... they must have a good reason...not because he's blackican. Stupy

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/30/08 - 01:16 pm
I'd like to know myself where

I'd like to know myself where Mugatu got his/her information on him confessing. According to the article it says that Mr. Wright has pled not guilty, doesn't appear to me he has confessed. Whether Mr. Wright is guilty or innocent should be decided in a court of law and by a jury. It's sad that some of you will determine a man's guilt by the way he looks, or a few threads of information in a newspaper article. I'm sure this isn't all the evidence they have but by due process of the law this man is innocent until the courts determine if he's guilty.

D.B.
D.B. 09/30/08 - 02:17 pm
all you guys that have all

all you guys that have all ready covicted this young man.every one in there life time will make a mistake.some more serious than others but good judgement should prevail threw all our decisions and just be able to deal with the end result

Officers tell of trauma from taking life

Although every experience is different, officers who take a life often experience severe bouts of depression, alcoholism, marital problems, sleepless nights and feelings of being alone in the ...