Pride not Dogs' only wound in loss

ATHENS, Ga. --- Amid the wreckage left behind in Alabama's 41-30 dismantling of Georgia on Saturday night is a lengthy injury list that includes Knowshon Moreno.

The star tailback is questionable for Georgia's next home game Oct. 11 against Tennessee because of an elbow contusion.

"Moreno has got a chance to play in this next game," coach Mark Richt said. "He's got a pretty good contusion on the elbow but is already beginning to get good movement back. ... He's got a shot to play, but it's not a guarantee."

Richt said preseason All-Southeastern Conference linebacker Dannell Ellerbe has an "outside shot" to play after the bye week after sustaining a left knee injury on the third play from scrimmage. Tight end Tripp Chandler is expected to miss at least the next game with a shoulder injury, while wide receiver Kris Durham is questionable with a high ankle sprain.

Tests revealed that quarterback Matthew Stafford had a headache, but no concussion, after getting dinged up against Alabama and will be fine for Tennessee.

"It's important to get everybody healthy again, get everybody back and get everybody's mind right," cornerback Asher Allen said. "We know it's another big game coming up."

The Bulldogs (4-1, 1-1 SEC) were knocked back, but not out, by the Crimson Tide.

They dropped eight spots to No. 11 in the AP poll Sunday, but remain in the chase nationally and in the SEC.

As thoroughly dominating as Alabama was in running out to a 31-0 halftime lead, the path to the SEC Championship Game is still in Georgia's hands.

The SEC East remains up for grabs after traditional powers Georgia, Florida and Tennessee all lost on the same day for the first time since Oct. 15, 1994.

"Our guys have not lost hope at all," Richt said. "They know they got whipped. They know that we do have a bright future if we take care of business from this point forward and get better."

The national polls were scrambled after a wild weekend that saw nine ranked teams lose. Georgia dropped seven spots into a tie for 10th in the USA Today coaches' poll. Georgia is No. 10 in the debut of this season's Harris poll.

Georgia is the second highest ranked one-loss team after Southern California. Throw in Florida, and three of the top four teams in last week's AP poll lost.

"I'd be surprised if somebody makes it through unscathed, but if they do, more power to them, man," Richt said. "I think there's a good chance that everybody gets hit before it's over."

Ole Miss stunned then-No. 4 Florida 31-30, and Oregon State started the upsets Thursday night by knocking off top-ranked Southern Cal. The Crimson Tide moved up to No. 2 in the AP poll, its highest ranking since 1993.

"Like I told the team before the game, 'Men, no one's safe,' " Richt said. "We knew Alabama was for real. But every single week, you've got to find a way to get ready to rock and roll."

Reach Marc Weiszer at marc.weiszer@onlineathens.com.

CanDawgsDoMath
CanDawgsDoMath 09/29/08 - 06:46 am
The dawgs were lucky to

The dawgs were lucky to escape without any fatalities...BAMA bashed them. No 11, I love it...

diceman
diceman 09/29/08 - 06:52 am
Alabama Power fixes Georgia

Alabama Power fixes Georgia blackout. Beatdown in A-Town. Blackout = Blackeye

rtc111
rtc111 09/29/08 - 07:04 am
We are still rank # 11, and

We are still rank # 11, and still have a chance at sec east, how about your team? metal head and diceman.

diceman
diceman 09/29/08 - 07:13 am
Bama is #2 and leading the

Bama is #2 and leading the west, thanks to the night that the lights went out in Georgia!

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 09/29/08 - 08:02 am
I remember not too long ago

I remember not too long ago when LSU thoroughly whipped the DAWGS just like Bama did. I also remember coming back in our next game with them to handle them pretty good. Bama has set them themselves atop the SEC. I take my hat off to them. I love my DAWGS and ain't about to give up on them. Looking forward to seeing Bama again in the SEC Championship game. I know they beat the crap out of us this time. First half Bama 31 UGA 0. Second half UGA 30 Bama 10. GO DAWGS!!!

notsurprised
notsurprised 09/29/08 - 08:18 am
Hey guys go ahead and enjoy

Hey guys go ahead and enjoy the bama triumph. After all Ga has whipped that bama tail the last several years. It's about time you bama fans get to celebrate. But while youre celebrating remember, a loss is coming, it is just a matter of when. No one gets through the sec unscathed. So enjoy boys. The SEC is wide open!

diceman
diceman 09/29/08 - 08:38 am
I agree the SEC is wide open,

I agree the SEC is wide open, but right now we are on top. That may change as soon as next week, but right now I will enjoy listening to the so called "die hard" UGA fans explain how they beat us in the 2nd half, lost because of the refs, etc. UGA has a ton of talent, but right now ROLL TIDE ROLL!

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 09/29/08 - 09:09 am
dicey, I agree with

dicey, I agree with everything you said. And you should enjoy it. I'm proud for you. But having had the opportunity to watch this game again UGA was robbed. There was clearly a hold by Bama on one of the first 12 touchdowns your guys scored. and not that it matters, we did out score you in the second half, while you guys just stood there with your mouths open and injured Knowshon and half of the rest of our team. Great game dicey! Hope to see ya again this year. GO DAWGS!!!

Galan Lewis
Galan Lewis 09/29/08 - 09:34 am
UGA was ROBBED?!?!? [filtered word]? How

UGA was ROBBED?!?!? [filtered word]? How do you call 31-0 in the half robbed? It's called strategy. Bama played this game fair and square, we can't help that we have not had penalities this season, it's called playing football the right way, not trying to cheat, you cheat and you caught. Bring it on in the SEC championship, we'll see you there, and beat ya down like we did on Sat. Roll Tide. Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer.

Drjenniferhoppenstienier
Drjenniferhoppenstienier 09/29/08 - 09:41 am
Mr Richt is not all he is

Mr Richt is not all he is cracked up to be. The 31-0 Tide lead at halftime underscores my point.

ugadawgbite
ugadawgbite 09/29/08 - 09:59 am
Bamagirl use english please,

Bamagirl use english please, maybe if you had all your teeth, it would help your grammar?

WAG
WAG 09/29/08 - 10:04 am
Exactly how did Ga

Exactly how did Ga cheat......Good game Bama

taha
taha 09/29/08 - 10:16 am
Don't start on Mark

Don't start on Mark Richt...he is a great coach and a great man in general! Bama lucked up with teh sarcastic Saban, but he isn't all he's "cracked" up to be!! You all have been looking for another Bear Bryant for years! Saban has no class at all!! But, having lived in Alabama, I guess he fits right in! Mark Richt has consistently been a great coach...look at his record. No team can win them all!!

CanDawgsDoMath
CanDawgsDoMath 09/29/08 - 10:21 am
rtc111, my team is leading

rtc111, my team is leading the SEC EAST at the moment....I know its just for the moment, but at least we don't have two weeks to stew over getting whacked like the overated dawgs will.....Go Vandy....#19 and getting closer to #11.....

diceman
diceman 09/29/08 - 10:28 am
Hey taha, I think the Crimson

Hey taha, I think the Crimson Tide "outclassed" their opponent Saturday night. Saban's team looked pretty classy and disciplined in that sea of black! And as for you Metal Man, ROCK ON with your Vandy self!

Drjenniferhoppenstienier
Drjenniferhoppenstienier 09/29/08 - 10:49 am
Ms Taha, Mr Richt is a great

Ms Taha, Mr Richt is a great coach as long as he is winning. When he is being out classed, out played, and out scored, he knows not what to do, re the 31-0 1st half blowout!!!

Galan Lewis
Galan Lewis 09/29/08 - 11:59 am
ugadawgbite, which part of my

ugadawgbite, which part of my grammar do you not comprehend? And just for the record, I do have all my teeth.

paulwehitherspoons
paulwehitherspoons 09/29/08 - 12:40 pm
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, wuff, wuffie. Porch puppies need to stay under the porch.

thrashman85
thrashman85 09/29/08 - 12:44 pm
Alot of you Bama fans here,

Alot of you Bama fans here, and on other boards, are talking about "31-0 first-half blowout"......and youre right it was, BUT I havent heard anything about UGA blowing yall out the 2nd half. You won the game fair and square, but it just seems to me like Bama fans are focusing on the score at halftime, instead of the final score.....which is alot closer than in could have been had Bama not gotten cocky.

SHOCKER1
SHOCKER1 09/29/08 - 12:57 pm
Yes Alabama opened up a can

Yes Alabama opened up a can and spread it all over us! Hands down we lost. However the more upsetting thing is the fact that a team like Penn State jumped over us in the polls to be ranked #6. Give me a break! Who has Penn State played that earned them the right to be ranked higher than us. Granted, they haven't lost a game, but it's next to impossible to lose to high school teams. How 'bout a real schedule like the SEC's!

paulwehitherspoons
paulwehitherspoons 09/29/08 - 01:05 pm
trashman85 would it help

trashman85 would it help explaing the 2nd half to you if I said Bama had part of it's 2nd and 3rd string in during the 2nd half?

paulwehitherspoons
paulwehitherspoons 09/29/08 - 01:09 pm
Yes sir, I do believe that

Yes sir, I do believe that CRIMSON TIDAL SURGE was just a little too much for those GA poodle puppies, WHOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo, arff, arff!

paulwehitherspoons
paulwehitherspoons 09/29/08 - 01:29 pm
The Black Ga players were the

The Black Ga players were the most undisciplined players I've seen play all year, especially the 1st half. That rest right on Mark Richt's shoulders!!!

mable8
mable8 09/29/08 - 02:25 pm
Who cares a fig about "teams"

Who cares a fig about "teams" in "sports?" To many of the players have been found using and abusing drugs and getting away with murder, mayhem, and rape just because they "play" good in the field. There are more important things in life than "sports." No, I was not always anti-sports; there used to be a time when a child could look up to them as a 'hero;' today, they aren't worth the $ they are paid.

Signal Always
Signal Always 09/29/08 - 03:06 pm
You do realize this is a

You do realize this is a story about sports, don'tcha? Maybe you shouldn't have clicked the link, light brite.

ANNOITED1
ANNOITED1 09/29/08 - 04:28 pm
paulwehitherspoons what do u

paulwehitherspoons what do u mean the black ga players was so undisciplined why is everything color in every game i've seen no matter what university when the team is losing all color players get very undisciplined at times but it is nothing personal it's just emotion

bone
bone 09/29/08 - 04:48 pm
i seem to recall 41-17 with

i seem to recall 41-17 with under 5 minutes to play in the 4th quarter. you want to look at the final score and claim a moral victory go right ahead if it makes you feel better; garbage-time scoring just never seemed to matter much except to make someone hurt less after a loss. anyway, i think the dawgs will rebound just fine (unlike clemson) and i agree that bama will likely not make it thru the schedule unscathed. but i'm sure enjoying the trip so far. RTR!

steve-o
steve-o 09/29/08 - 06:09 pm
we'll be back with a vengance

we'll be back with a vengance against the VOLS in two weeks. Vandy and S.car are both loser teams. BAMA is what is referred to as a "program". Georgia, Florida, LSU, Auburn, and Tenn. are also regarded in such a manner. If you live to diss Georgia because it makes you feel better, more power to ya! All I can say is that it feels better as a fan to lose to a REAL team like Bama, than it would have been to lose to a "scrub" team like S.car or vandy.

it ain't over! not by a long shot.
Goooooooooooo DAWGS!!!!!!!!!

KSL
KSL 09/29/08 - 06:25 pm
Quote from steve-o:If you

Quote from steve-o:If you live to diss Georgia because it makes you feel better, more power to ya! Now change Georgia to South Carolina or Vandy. Folks like steve-o are both sore winners as well as sore losers.

paulwehitherspoons
paulwehitherspoons 09/29/08 - 06:44 pm
You, YO, ANOINTED one, who

You, YO, ANOINTED one, who were the flags thrown on, idiot??? They never had discipline at home, why when in college?