l The Georgia Lightning 14-under travel baseball team is looking for several dedicated players for the upcoming season through Tuesday . For more information, contact Billy Kelley at (706) 825-9898.
- The Southeastern Baseball Showcase will be held at W. L. Bill Evans Field in College Park, Ga., on Oct. 18 at noon. The showcase is for students in the high school classes of 2009 and 2010. For more information, visit www.angelfire.com/sports/showcase or call (404) 869-7966.
l Chain Baseball of Augusta is enrolling for fall and winter programs for ages 6-18. There will be individual lessons in all aspects of baseball, group sessions, and off-season conditioning programs. Limited space is available. If interested, call (706) 993-7475.
- Georgia Tech men's basketball coach Paul Hewitt will be the keynote speaker for the Augusta Sports Council's College Basketball Preseason Tip-off luncheon at the Augusta Marriott Hotel and Suites on Thursday . Numerous D-I and D-II coaches will also be in attendance. The luncheon begins at 11:45 a.m. Tickets are $25 for Augusta Sports Council members and $35 for nonmembers. For more information, call (706) 722-8326.
- The AUG Lady Ballers will hold a benefit event on Oct. 11 at the YMCA on Wheeler Road to help raise money for the Alzheimer's Association. For information, call Cheryl Bryant at (706) 360-0299 or e-mail email@example.com. You may also contact the Lady Ballers at (706) 434-0169.
- The Paul Anderson Cycling Challenge will pass through Augusta on Wednesday and end in Vidalia, Ga., on Thursday . The 500-mile race benefits the Paul Anderson Youth Home, which provides an alternative to incarceration and a "home" to more than 1,000 young men. To sponsor a rider or to make a contribution, visit www.payh.org/bikeride.
- The Pine Top September Horse Trials are currently taking place at Pine Top Farm, located at 1432 Augusta Road in Thomson. Today's portion of the competition is scheduled to start at 10 a.m. For more information, contact Glenn Wilson at (706) 449-1907 or visit www.pinetopfarm.com.
l The Eagle Sports Guardians football team is looking for private and home-schooled students ages 13-18 to play. Practices are Monday through Friday, excluding Wednesday, from 6 to 8 p.m. Cost is $250 per player for pads and equipment. For more information, call (706) 739-0113 or (803) 275-0643.
l The Georgia State Conference NAACP will play host to the second annual William Breeding Sr. Memorial Golf Tournament on Oct. 8 at Forest Hills Golf Club. The event will be the kickoff for the 66th annual state convention, to be held on Oct. 8-12 at the Marriott Riverfront Hotel and Suites. Play will begin at 1:30 p.m. The cost is $65 per person and $260 per team. For additional information, call the Augusta Branch of the NAACP at (706) 284-0275 or Marcus Brinson at (706) 951-4113.
- Wackenhut is holding its 21st annual United Way Golf Tournament on Oct. 20 at Woodside Plantation Country Club in Aiken. Registration will begin at 8:30 a.m., with a putting contest to be held from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. Lunch will be served from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., and there will be a shotgun start at noon. The cost is $440 per foursome, with the entry fee donated to United Way. The tournament will be Captain's Choice format, with a gross and net handicap division. Lunch and dinner will be provided. For additional information, contact Chuck Selman at (803) 952-7789 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Rob Davis at (803) 952-7582 or email@example.com.
- The sixth annual North Augusta Classic will be held Oct. 21 at the River Golf Club. For more information, call Kathy Gilliland at (803) 510-0011 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Immaculate Conception Academy will hold its annual scholarship fund golf tournament on Oct. 25 at Forest Hills Golf Club. Check-in is at noon, with a shotgun start at 1 p.m. Cost is $60 per person or $200 per team. For more information, contact Ed Belinski at (706) 7212-9964 or e-mail email@example.com.
- A lacrosse league is forming for interested players ages 18 and up. No experience is necessary. The league will be run by current high school coaches. Practice and games are on Sundays at noon at the Kroger field in Evans. For more information, call (706) 854-1908.
l A meet and greet fundraiser pancake dinner for U.S. Paralympian Scott Winkler will be held on Oct. 9 at Sunrise Grill, located at 3830 Washington Road, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $7 in advance and $9 at the door. Contact Jeff Snover at (706) 726-3170 for more information.
l The Cumbee Center Whiskey Road Race will be held Saturday . The race will start and end at the Odell Weeks Recreation Center in Aiken. There will be a 2-mile race beginning at 7:30 a.m., a 10K at 8 a.m., a 1-mile for ages 16 and under at 9:15 a.m., a half-mile for ages 8 and under at 9:30 a.m., and a tot trot for ages 5 and under at 9:40 a.m. The preregistration fee for the 10K and 2-mile race is $15, the 1-mile race is $10, and the half-mile and tot trot are each $5. A late fee of $5 will apply to the 10K and 2-mile race after Wednesday . Registration on the day of the race will be available beginning at 6:45 a.m. All proceeds benefit the Cumbee Center to Assist Abused Persons. Applications and more information are available at Odell Weeks Center, located at 1700 Whiskey Road, or the Cumbee Center, located at 135 Lancaster St. Those interested can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, call Jason Ritch at (803) 649-0480, or visit www.strictlyrunning.com.
- The 13.1-mile Augusta Chronicle Half Marathon will take place on Oct. 26 . The race will begin and end at the Augusta Common. The race weekend's festivities also include the Family Y 5K race, a race and fitness expo, and a kids' trick-or-treat trot race. Race registration will begin on Oct. 24 at the Augusta Marriott Hotel & Suites 2. The race will begin at 7 a.m. For additional information, visit www.augusthalf.org.
l The Georgia Rockers will hold tryouts for their 12U and 14U fast-pitch travel team today at 2 p.m. at Patriots Park. If interested, visit www.eteamz.com/georgiarockers, or call Ike Branch at (706) 860-3886 or (706) 373-9581 or Chuck Faulkner at (706) 364-1840 for more information.
Tae kwon do
- Master Instructor Michael L. Weintraub will hold "No Taekwondo, No Discipline: Know Tae kwon do, Know Discipline" classes at "HanaNim's House," at Harrisburg Family Life Center, 1901 Fenwick St. To reserve your place, call (706) 736-1600.
- Python Power League's U.S.A. "Drug-Free" Powerlifting Championships on Oct. 18 beginning at 11 a.m. The event will be held at the Relax Inn, located at 1365 Gordon Highway. Entry fee is $40 for first division, $30 for any additional division. Admission is $5 for spectators. For information, call (706) 790-3806 or e-mail email@example.com.