Across the Area

Authorities search for what sparked mill fire

With smoke still rising from the historic Southern Milling Co. building, Richmond County fire investigators worked Saturday to determine what sparked the blaze.

Battalion Chief John Clark said members of the department had not made a determination on what caused the abandoned mill, which was built in the mid-1800s, to burn.

Flames leapt high into the sky Friday night as four aerial fire trucks and other engines attacked the fire from all sides.

The 340-foot-long brick and heart pine building operated for a century as a flour mill, according to a January 2007 article in The Augusta Chronicle .

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/28/08 - 06:51 am
Thats it??? Nothing else has

Thats it??? Nothing else has occured in the entire CSRA?? Why does this paper even try to pretend it's a REAL newspaper???

jebko
jebko 09/28/08 - 07:21 am
In other CSRA news...I DIDN'T

In other CSRA news...I DIDN'T save a bundle on my auto insurance!

Fishboy
Fishboy 09/28/08 - 07:40 am
Gosh, Karma, sometimes it's

Gosh, Karma, sometimes it's just a slow news day. I know it's disappointed not to read about burglaries, murders, and DUIs...

heartablazing
heartablazing 09/28/08 - 08:24 am
It seems that every Sunday

It seems that every Sunday morning is a slow news day. We all know that a lot of things happen on the weekends that could be news worthy but you won't read about them until Monday. The paper is trying to keep Sunday as the day of rest. We are not supposed to read about crime on the Lords Day.

Concerned Citizen
Concerned Citizen 09/28/08 - 08:39 am
I think as long as that's all

I think as long as that's all they have to print, I am safe. No murders, child abductions, or anything else. If you want more news you should probably move somewhere that will satisfy you.

LaTwon
LaTwon 09/28/08 - 08:46 am
this rag along with all

this rag along with all newspapers are in a death spiral.............
there is virtually no content in this paper

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 09/28/08 - 08:52 am
UGA lost?????????????????/

UGA lost?????????????????/

Waymore
Waymore 09/28/08 - 09:05 am
No, UGA didn't lose, they got

No, UGA didn't lose, they got spanked!! Their lack of discipline cost them early.

SIGHER
SIGHER 09/28/08 - 09:24 am
OMG! I went to bed last

OMG! I went to bed last night and the score was 31 to zip, Bama. (I was too nauseated to watch anymore). I get up this am and final was 41 to 30, Bama. Way to come back and fight Dawgs!!!!! Good thing Bama had a good head start! LOL

whynot2
whynot2 09/28/08 - 10:16 am
The game wasnt as close as

The game wasnt as close as the score appears. ga had the 3rd quarter, rest belonged to bama.

XY
XY 09/28/08 - 10:49 am
Why there were no comments in

Why there were no comments in Saturday's accross the area section, especially about the Deputy useing sexist and rasist comments while on duty

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 09/28/08 - 10:56 am
What? No comment from

What? No comment from "patriciathomas"............

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/28/08 - 01:03 pm
Justcurious, I TRIED to post

Justcurious, I TRIED to post this comment, but it wouldn't post. A glitch? "Odd, the tv station said that he was asked to resign, here it says the deputy asked to resign. Oh well, I don't believe everything I read anyway, thank goodness. I wonder if the comments were truly offensive and to whom. I would like to know what's on the video. It probably isn't even close to the garbage I used to have to listen to as a captive audience while living in my old neighborhood. Any of that should have been something they were put in jail for saying in front of my children, but nobody would do anything about it".

i.b.e.w..electric
i.b.e.w..electric 09/28/08 - 01:41 pm
ga beat themselves ,you cant

ga beat themselves ,you cant have that many penalties and still pull out a win.

XY
XY 09/28/08 - 02:31 pm
The chronicle poated that

The chronicle poated that the comments were sexist and racist, I'm like you, i want to see the video, but if thhe comments were racist, it would be ashame if he was just allowed to resign and be allowed to work for another police agency

Commission rejects tax jump

Seven commissioners nixed a proposed tax increase Monday that would cost a typical homeowner $70 a year, leaving the countywide millage unset with just a few days to meet state deadlines.