Religion and guns odd mix for Palin

This week in Ohio I heard Sarah Palin make the statement that Obama wants to take "religion and guns" away from Americans.

Putting these two subjects in one sentence makes us a little "Talibanish," don't you think?

Am I the only one this bothers? I want to ask Mrs. Palin: "If Jesus were here, would he have a gun?"

Sharon Smith

North Augusta, S.C.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/28/08 - 12:40 am
They go together better than

They go together better than homosexual marriage. People can still hunt and be churchgoers. There is no sin in hunting and eating what you hunt. In fact the meese, deer, squirrels and other animals have a better chance than animals at the slaughterhouse.

sjgraci
sjgraci 09/28/08 - 01:16 am
Palin is a radical right wing

Palin is a radical right wing religious nutcase. She is why the CONServative RepubliCON base are the only ones that are for her. When the rest of sane America has had the oppurtunity to see Palin fail at every level they have rightly turned against her and McInsane. Anyone who thinks the Earth is 6,000 years old and needs to be delivered from Witch Craft has no business running the country. Nor does anyone who selects her.

imdstuf
imdstuf 09/28/08 - 01:17 am
Yeah, everyone that hunts

Yeah, everyone that hunts does it because there is a lack of food for them around here. Riiiight.

cyou299
cyou299 09/28/08 - 01:20 am
Great response. The last

Great response. The last elections, Republicans have run on Karl Rove's God, guns, and gays. The writer forgot to mention gays, so the first response made sure to fit that in there. Now it's complete, God, guns, and gays.
You drive down the road and see a Ten Commandments sign, you know they are the ones going to vote for the guy most likely to go to war. Most likely to slash programs to help 'the least of thee' while enriching the rich. And they'll vote for the ones who want the government to tell you who your children can and can't marry.

sjgraci
sjgraci 09/28/08 - 01:20 am
Palin: Not prepared on the

Palin: Not prepared on the issues. Not prepared to meet the press. Not prepared to debate. Not prepared to be VP, or, God Forbid, President.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/28/08 - 01:58 am
Well before you go throwing

Well before you go throwing me in with any gay bashing party let me clarify what I mean. I am all for homosexuals having legal rights to protect them in case their partner has an accident or dies. I am not , however, for a religious ceremony for them that was founded on the principles that marriage be between a man and a woman. I don't go around cramming it down peoples throats that I am a heterosexual and I would appreciate the same. If you wanna live an alternative lifestyle that's your choice. What you do in the comforts of your home is nobody's business. When you try to force me to recognize your union in a religious ceremony then you are forcing your lifestyle on me and my beliefs. As far as the comment about hunting goes. You should learn a little more about conservation before you open your mouth. Any conservationist will tell you that hunting plays a great part in regulating the animal population, preventing them from starving and from overpopulating to the point that you can't walk to your car during the rut season. And yes some poorer families get their food from hunting.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/28/08 - 02:03 am
The "least of thee " comment?

The "least of thee " comment? I am all for helping the poor and downtrodden but they also have an obligation to help themselves. I am not for giving a check to a sorry indivdual that is a baby factory and has no intention of doing anything other than living off the "working class" people that built this great nation.I certainly am against giving them a check when we have a veteran living on the streets. Unlike jack#'s I truly am independent. I vote on which candidate represents me. I am not blinded by a party loyalty. I have voted for both parties in different elections. I usually go with the platform that offers what I am looking for at the time. I see good qualities in both candidates as well as bad. cyou299 you can post your 10 commandments quote as many times as you want. I am for a president that will stand up to our enemies and let them know that while negotiating is a first option don't take that as a sign of weakness. If necessary, we will do whatever it takes to keep us and our allies safe.

angiesdad
angiesdad 09/28/08 - 06:15 am
thursday night everyone will

thursday night everyone will see this idiot for what she is.mcsenile was stupid for picking her,and she was stupid to accept.she will be there all alone unless they let the obviously unemployed todd stand beside her.i look for another repuke hoax so she can reschedule,and then pull another hoax.she will not be prepared and will embarrass herself and her desperate party.the maverick couldn't knock obama down friday.the old man should be ashamed,being that he's old enough to be obamas father.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/28/08 - 06:19 am
The comment was a reference

The comment was a reference to one Obama made when he insinuated only redneck Repubs cared for guns and religion and Dems didn't. His comment was a nod to the radical left and Palins was a nod to his stance. Besides, why would a lefty like Ms Smith be listening to a Palin speech? She knows everything Palin says will go over her head...as this guns and religion comment did.

owensjef2
owensjef2 09/28/08 - 07:00 am
What patriciathomas doesn't

What patriciathomas doesn't seem to understand is ???????????

Interested Citizen
Interested Citizen 09/28/08 - 07:07 am
amen owensjet

amen owensjet

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 09/28/08 - 07:33 am
owens...I now...it's hard to

owens...I now...it's hard to come up with anything isn't it....

griesella
griesella 09/28/08 - 07:41 am
: "If Jesus were here, would

: "If Jesus were here, would he have a gun"? In today's world he would have to travel with armed guards to get his message out. (IMO)(.

factchecker
factchecker 09/28/08 - 07:43 am
Obama on Guns and Religion:

Obama on Guns and Religion: 'I Didn't Say It as Well as I Should Have' What else hasn't he said as well as he should have and do we need a president that isn't able to say what he means? I'm just sayin'.......

EJ
EJ 09/28/08 - 07:45 am
What the heck is wrong with

What the heck is wrong with Angiesdad? He's so angry! Living in his house must be pure joy.....NOT! Every article he responds to, he has to insult someone with stupid name calling. In another article he's railing about someone having a college education. It seems to me that too many people without a good education have to resort to this, as they're not intelligent enough to actually debate issues. Oh wait....that's pretty much a tactic used by the "lefties" anyway, isn't it? Hit with an inane comment, call someone an insulting name, then run! Wow!

griesella
griesella 09/28/08 - 07:50 am
EJ I have long been

EJ I have long been convinced that Charleyonce/angie's dad doesn't mean a word of what he says. His only enjoyment in life is getting other all stirred up. If no one responds, it will take away all of his fun. Then what would he do with his day.

EJ
EJ 09/28/08 - 07:53 am
Ah, ok, s eagle, gotcha!

Ah, ok, s eagle, gotcha! Wow, he needs to get a life then, eh?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/28/08 - 07:54 am
oj2, Interested Citizen,

oj2, Interested Citizen, Retired Army, thank you for proving my point.

pofwe
pofwe 09/28/08 - 07:55 am
"(R)eligion and guns," don't

"(R)eligion and guns," don't make me a little "Talibanish." It makes me "ballsy."

iabeewalkintomemphis
iabeewalkintomemphis 09/28/08 - 08:01 am
No mam, you are not the only

No mam, you are not the only one it bothers. It bothers you and the rest of the [filtered word], liberal obamamanians!!!!! It did not bother the founding fathers and it does not bother patriotic AMERICANS. By the way, does late term abortion, you know, when they suck the brains out, bother you. Does it bother you, when your candidate supports letting infants of failed abortions lay until they die???? NO I DIDN'T THINK SO! Repeat second sentence!

griesella
griesella 09/28/08 - 08:05 am
I just hope Palin doesn't

I just hope Palin doesn't agree with Biden when he says thing like Roosevelt was president and talked with the people on tv in 1929. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she is just a bit smarter. Won't take much.

factchecker
factchecker 09/28/08 - 08:08 am
(IN)Alaska Governor Sarah

(IN)Alaska Governor Sarah Palin is taking aim at Senator Barack Obama's comment about working people clinging to guns and religion. "We all tend to prefer candidates who don't talk about us one way in Vienna or Youngstown, and then another way in San Francisco." Palin is accusing Obama of being out of touch with working class values. "Folks here don't quite know what to make of a candidate, like our opponent, who has lavished praise on working people when they're listening and then talks about how bitterly they cling to their religion and guns when those people aren't listening." http://www.thepath.fm/news/newsitem.cfm?ID=32976 As far as I can tell, yes, she brought up 'guns and religion' but it was in response to Obama's comments.

christian134
christian134 09/28/08 - 08:13 am
Try and make something out of

Try and make something out of nothing and you will most often find a disgruntled Democrat on the other end of the remark...First of all religion today can be seen as the worshiping of money or status or as simple as walking into a building once a week to visit and do ones duty as they see it...This "religion" is not the same as the worshiping of God Almighty and seeking to abide by His Word...As far as a weapon is concerned a person has many uses for weapons other than the murdering of innocent people in drive-by shootings or home invasion or well you get the idea...Having a weapon to hunt wild game or to protect your family etc. etc...The protection of the family includes the military and police who put their lives on the line every second to bring about that level of security...Democrats get on the right page for once...:-)

factchecker
factchecker 09/28/08 - 08:16 am
Oh and BTW - Wikipedia - "The

Oh and BTW - Wikipedia - "The Bush Doctrine is a phrase used..." for Bush's policies. If Charlie would have asked about Bush's policies Palin would have known what he was talking about. It was a phrase coined by the press and was not an official term.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/28/08 - 08:17 am
I think religion would best

I think religion would best be left out of the argument. Given Obama had to leave his church of 20 years and disassociate from a man whom he dedicated a book after. Another nutcase liberal religious fanatic eh, hee,hee,hee. I guess hate mongering and christianity make a poor mix too.

alumna
alumna 09/28/08 - 08:18 am
If people didn't hunt, we'd

If people didn't hunt, we'd have to have a government agency whose job it is to kill the deer and rabbits that reproduce and overtake neighborhoods and wreak havoc on our highways and rural roads. We have hunting seasons out of necessity, not because gun-toting second amendment lovers just like it!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/28/08 - 08:22 am
No, we'd have a government

No, we'd have a government agency that just supplied all of the extra deer and rabbits with housing and health care, if they knew how to vote.

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 09/28/08 - 08:24 am
At a fundraiser in San

At a fundraiser in San Francisco in April 2008 Barack Obama said: "You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. So it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 09/28/08 - 08:30 am
Why does the left always have

Why does the left always have to bring Jesus into their arguments?!

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/28/08 - 08:40 am
All the Pres and VP

All the Pres and VP candidates claim christianity as their faith. Neutral so no point to go there. The LTE presents a logical fallacy as would be how does christianity and Dem abortion supporters mix. Demonizing people because of their beliefs is wrong. When you support tolerance and gay marriage how hypocritical one appears to beat up Palin for her beliefs. I guess it is actually a lack of tolerance.

Georgia to monitor potential Ebola travelers

Georgia is one of six states that will soon begin active monitoring of all travelers from three Ebola-stricken countries in West Africa for the 21 days during which they could develop an infection ...