Bottom Line

Gov. Sonny Perdue tells Georgians there wouldn't be spot fuel outages if drivers with half a tank or more didn't panic and top off. That's easy to say, but if your job depends on your vehicle, it's human nature to get nervous when you see so many outages and long lines where gas is available.

Even so, the governor has a point. Don't fill if you still have 100 miles or more left in your tank. You could run out of gas while chasing around looking for it -- or waiting in line to get it.

The outages are likely to last another several days, so if you have enough in your tank to last that long, don't panic. Relief is on the way. The oil refineries that hurricane Ike shut down along the coasts should be operable again by week's end. In the meantime, exercise common sense, consolidate your trips and be courteous.

christian134
christian134 09/28/08 - 07:23 am
People we are better than

People we are better than this...Stop with the panic, pray and seek God and we will see this through...Thanks Chronicle for a great article filled with truth...

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 09/28/08 - 07:51 am
Try being a Pizza Driver and

Try being a Pizza Driver and driving around until you are 1/8th of a tank and then tell me that. By the time you CAN get gas, all the stations are closed cause they are OUT and you still have to deliver Pizza. My job depends on my ability to deliver, so it is imperative that I have a full tank before coming in to work, cause I have to work a 8 hour shift, and stopping to get gas (especially in the middle of a shift) costs me more than I get paid.

christian134
christian134 09/28/08 - 08:05 am
Yep your right Deborah which

Yep your right Deborah which is exactly why I tip the drivers of my orders $4.00...Hang in there it will get better...

afadel
afadel 09/28/08 - 08:29 am
I was just in Macon

I was just in Macon yesterday. No lines, prices around 3.89/gallon for unleaded 87, and 89 and 92 were available. I filled up in Eatonton on the way home. But people from Atlanta said that the situation there is similar to what is going on in Augusta. Bring a book and read while you wait in line.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 09/28/08 - 09:26 am
The Sunoco station owner on

The Sunoco station owner on Gordon Hwy was smart and hired someone to direct traffic at the pumps and cordially encouraged people to get a move on while going inside to pay because others were waiting. I didn't have to wait very long at all.

mgroothand
mgroothand 09/28/08 - 09:55 am
Only one other customer at

Only one other customer at the Pilot station on Riverwatch Pkwy. Timing is everything, it was 2:00 AM. Why is it called Riverwatch, only a quick glimpse of the canal is available, no river.

Turkeys taste own medicine

I got up and out of my sickbed so I could write this column because it’s time for the annual Turkey of the Year awards, the highlight of the holiday season.