Kroc Center to get $7.8 million more

The Salvation Army's Augusta Kroc Center project will receive an additional $7.8 million to offset rising construction costs.

"Basically, this means we've gone from a $90 million project to a $97.8 million project," Derek Dugan, the Kroc Center coordinator for Augusta, said Wednesday.

The additional funds awarded by The Salvation Army Kroc Trustees include a $3.9 million increase in funding for construction and a $3.9 million increase in endowment funding provided through the Joan Kroc estate, Mr. Dugan said.

Cost estimates for the planned 95,000-square-foot center that will occupy 20 acres off Broad Street have risen steadily in recent years, raising concerns that some features might need to be cut or scaled down.

"Since the original estimates were drafted, we have seen a significant increase in construction costs and long-term expense projections," Mr. Dugan said. "We had been faced with having to make significant cuts in the size of the facility. This award from the Kroc Trustees changes all of that."

A capital campaign scheduled to begin next year will try to raise at least $20 million privately for the center, the legacy of a gift by McDonald's heiress Joan Kroc to The Salvation Army upon her death in 2003.

Her $1.7 billion gift was designated to build "Kroc Corps Community Centers" similar to the San Diego Kroc Center she commissioned during her lifetime.

Augusta's planned center will include arts, education and recreation programs; classrooms; a full fitness and aquatics center; and a 400-seat theater.

In addition, the Augusta Kroc Center model includes a "First Stop" Family Service Center that would be a hub of communications and services for Augusta social service organizations.

The completion date is contingent on fundraising.

Under the new funding plan, the Kroc Estate will provide $33.9 million in construction funds and $33.9 million for an operating endowment if $30 million can be raised to match those funds.

Mr. Dugan said The Salvation Army Southern Territory has awarded $10 million in funding credits toward the $30 million goal, meaning the Augusta Salvation Army has to raise $20 million to bring the project to Augusta.

The endowment, he added, will generate $2.7 million a year for operations and upkeep of the center, which will help make the capital fundraising campaign a one-time event.

Reach Rob Pavey at 868-1222, ext. 119, or rob.pavey@augustachronicle.com.

WHAT'S NEXT?

The Salvation Army of Augusta will launch its capital campaign sometime in 2009 with a goal of $20 million.

KROC CENTER BACKGROUND

In 2003, philanthropist Joan Kroc bequeathed $1.7 billion to The Salvation Army to build Kroc centers throughout the U.S. that would combine "family and youth development and recreation."

Approximately $400 million was distributed to the Southern Territory, of which Augusta is a part. The Salvation Army submitted a successful proposal to receive a portion of that funding to build a Kroc Center in Augusta.

Locally, The Salvation Army has already acquired -- through purchase or option -- the parcels it will need for the 20-acre development off Broad Street, which will feature a 95,000-square-foot community services center and facilities for arts, aquatics, recreation and other purposes.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/25/08 - 05:02 am
I admire the work done by the

I admire the work done by the Salvation Army and I contribute to them regularly, but...I've become a little skeptical of any project whose primary aim is social services. Not because of their intent, which I consider noble and necessary, but because of the mess that is always made when government steps in to "help". I haven't seen this problem with other Salvation Army projects, but I'm not sure if I've seen one involving this much money. Keeping the governments fingers out of this pie will be a trick.

missjudy
missjudy 09/25/08 - 05:35 am
While the Kroc Center is a

While the Kroc Center is a good cause, let us not forget we also have the opportunity to build a Fisher House for the free use of families of the veterans and active duty military recovering from illness, injury and wounds at the Charlie Norwood VAMC. 99 cents of every dollar donated will go toward the construction of this badly needed facility. The cost of the 21 bedroom house is 5.4 million. The public will donate 1.8 million and we are a third of the way there. Our active duty military and veterans need their families near while they heal. The men and women returning from the war zones with multi-traumas are from all over the country and we can ease the financial burder on their families by making this Fisher House a reality. Please donate now by sending your check to the fund administrator, Community Foundation of the CSRA, PO Box 31358, Augusta, GA 30903 or donate online at www,cfcsra.org. Click on How to Donate Easily. Thank you for considering this cause.

areyoukidding
areyoukidding 09/25/08 - 06:16 am
read the story pt. the

read the story pt. the center will just act as a hub or communication center for already created govt social services, not unlike how the salvation army operates generally. i am sorry your invitation to plan this center got lost in the mail. obviously we all need your superior insight to help plan something of this magnitude. i am sure the sucess of the san diego center w/o your help was just a fluke. sorry for the incorrect punctuation - new puppy in my lap.

iletuknow
iletuknow 09/25/08 - 06:32 am
More socialism preaching "why

More socialism preaching "why work when it's free".

disssman
disssman 09/25/08 - 07:38 am
miss Judy I fully support the

miss Judy I fully support the action to provide a bedroom facility for Veterans families but don't you think your project is wasteful of funds? I took 5.4 million and divided it by the 21 bedrooms planned and guess what, that comes out to almost a quarter of a million per bedroom! Given this figure I wonder what the facility will be built out of? I believe that with a little better planning, your folks could double, tripple, or quadruple the number of family spaces for the same total cost I am a veteran and believe me when times are financially tough, my family wasn't looking for elegance, we were looking for practicality and availability.

derekdugan
derekdugan 09/25/08 - 07:42 am
Patricia, Just wanted to jump

Patricia,

Just wanted to jump in here and clarify. The Kroc Center will receive no government funds nor will it be in any way tied to the government. The Salvation Army constantly ensures that it is seperate from government restrictions at all times. Also, the Kroc Center, while having a building for appointment based social services, is a majority arts, education and recreation center more along the lines of a Family Y than anything you'd normally associate with the Salvation Army.

Also, it is important to point out to the other posting, that the Kroc Center will provide a central point for arts, education, recreation and social service non-profits to conduct their programming in a central location. What this will do is decrease duplication, increase communication, lower overhead and therefore allow all the participating non-profits to increase efficiency. However, the Kroc Center programming is membership based with job training internships and opportunities throughout the center, so no socialism here.

I'll be checking in for questions - hope I hit some points here.

Also, feel free to see the San Diego Kroc Center at www.kroccenter.org

disssman
disssman 09/25/08 - 07:47 am
Now for the KROC center.

Now for the KROC center. When I was young, I always thought the mission of the Sal AR was to help people who had fallen on hard times. Now I see that the mission is to provide recreation and cultural activities. Does this mean they have given up on their original mission? I really can't understand why a family needing assistance would need an aquatics center, recreation and arts center or a 400 person theater! I am now wondering what the center will do if homeless people show up at the door? Will they be fed and given a place to sleep? I ask that because these facilities are not mentioned as being planned for. In fact how are you going to charge homeless people for the use of the facilities planned? By the way I have always given to the Sal Ar and I will continue to do so in the future if its mission continues to help the homeless.

derekdugan
derekdugan 09/25/08 - 07:58 am
Dissman, The existing

Dissman,

The existing Salvation Army mission and facilities will remain where they are unchanged - these funds do not pay for those facilities. The Salvation Army will continue to serve the homeless and needy through soup, shelter and salvation" as our motto says. The Kroc Center mission is an extension of this previous mission and one that the Salvation Army has had trouble explaining to all of its Kroc Center cities. I will begin by explaining that the Salvation Army is a church and works to spread its mission through outreach (but never as a criteria for receiving any services). The vision of Joan Kroc and the purpose of the Kroc Centers is to place the centers in an area of low income surrounded by an area of high income (Harrisburg) that will provide programming to bring the community together (arts, education and recreation). The facility is membership based, so low income families will apply for and be awarded Kroc scholarships contingent upon them taking classes (for example: financial education classes) in order to keep the scholarships for their family. If they do not attend the classes programming recommended, they lose the scholarship. How that helps.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/25/08 - 08:04 am
drekdugan, I'm a fan of how

drekdugan, I'm a fan of how the Salvation Army operates, but our multiple government entities have led me to be skeptical. The fact that the Kroc Center is to operate separate from the government doesn't give me much comfort. Government intervention takes place way too often, especially when it comes to interfering with successfully operating efforts. The amount of money invested here will draw the wolves. I hope for the best, but I'm still concerned.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/25/08 - 08:05 am
areyoukidding, yes you are.

areyoukidding, yes you are.

KingJames
KingJames 09/25/08 - 08:09 am
Mr. Dugan, thanks for the

Mr. Dugan, thanks for the clarification. Some people on here get so caught up in trying to protect "their taxes" that they think any project to help the community is going to ultimately become nothing more than a handout for those who can't or won't work.

derekdugan
derekdugan 09/25/08 - 08:11 am
Patricia, I understand your

Patricia,

I understand your concern. Fortunately, the Salvation Army has a very strong and supportive organization that is wholly committed to this seperation. In addition, there are successful models conducted by the Salvation Army where this has worked. In addition, we have received tremendous local support from the Mayor's office and the commissioners to keep it seperate. Also, if the government does insist on a level of control, the Salvation Army will not let this project happen - period. That is why the Salvation Army has such a good public image is that it will never, under any circumstances, compromise its mission. There are many examples of the Salvation Army turning down millions of dollars because of the ties placed on the money.

I understand your concern, but I have to assure you - we will never compromise our mission.

missjudy
missjudy 09/25/08 - 08:14 am
disseman, It is a good price

disseman, It is a good price because it will be totally furnished from the bed linens to toys for the children..all quality materials will be used and this house will last. The original cost was much lower, but you know everything has gone up. The Fisher Foundation does not require us to pay any more than the orginal cost to us was to be. It's a great deal for the public. And how can you put a price on the comfort that one has with a loved one near at hand? Our wounded are returning with terrible wounds that require long-term care. Traumatic brain injury is the signature wound for this war. Let's forget the cost..the Fisher Foundation is paying for all but the 1.8, and I think you will consider 1.8 million a good price for a 16,000 square foot, quality home that will bring comfort for many years to come. We owe it to veterans like you and our active duty military. I hope you will support the project with a check. Thank you and God Bless you and all veterans and active duty. I know who pays for my freedom. I am grateful for the opportunity to give something back.

shivas
shivas 09/25/08 - 08:15 am
Yes, patriciathomas doesn't

Yes, patriciathomas doesn't want to use any funds that may help people in need, when it can be used to give welfare to the super rich of greedy and unethical corporations. She likes her socialism on the top end.

WW1949
WW1949 09/25/08 - 08:18 am
When are they going to start.

When are they going to start. Harrisburg needs help and lots of it to make the rats that have moved in move on to other territories.

derekdugan
derekdugan 09/25/08 - 08:29 am
MissJudy - I sincerely hope

MissJudy - I sincerely hope we can do both and despite the present financial downturn, I believe we will. The Fisher House is a very worthy facility as well and I agree that costs may seem high, but as we are finding with Kroc Center planning, durability is just as important and "doing it right" up front is important.

WW1949 - Construction can begin as soon as the funds are pledged (not raised, but pledged). The second that happens, building can begin and the transformation of Harrisburg will also begin.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/25/08 - 10:19 am
The Kroc grant can transform

The Kroc grant can transform Augusta and raise the living standard of our citizens with cultural and educational opportunities like few other places have. We need to work hard to get our share of the funding to obtain the grant and cooperate fully with the foundation. These people have no ulterior motives.

thistownisunbelievable
thistownisunbelievable 09/25/08 - 10:51 am
Way to get personal shivas.

Way to get personal shivas.

kiseta50
kiseta50 09/25/08 - 05:36 pm
derekdugan, I heard some

derekdugan, I heard some rumors in the Spring, that first they will clean out the Harrisburg area, will bring some trash bins for large trash and that some of the churches will conduct clean-up around here. I thing a lots of old homes should be taken down and that will give a better apperance to the area and make all the rough-riders move on.

iabeewalkingtomemphis
iabeewalkingtomemphis 09/25/08 - 06:27 pm
shivas, I've never seen PT

shivas, I've never seen PT denounce helping the needy. What I have seen is her denounce the entitlement crowd which, with every post you make, you convince me more you a charter member of that crowd!

Rose
Rose 09/25/08 - 08:31 pm
I see nothing in the story

I see nothing in the story concerning government involvement.

Rose
Rose 09/25/08 - 08:32 pm
In 2003, philanthropist Joan

Sounds like someone died and left a lot of money for a certain purpose.

Rose
Rose 09/25/08 - 08:36 pm
In addition, the Augusta Kroc

Rose
Rose 09/25/08 - 08:38 pm
Augusta social service

Augusta social service organizations means social service organizations in the city of Augusta.

CSRAider
CSRAider 09/26/08 - 06:59 am
I wonder how much of the

I wonder how much of the money the Augusta authorities will siphon out of the kroc donation an squander. Someone is going to get rich wait and see my friends. Walker and his constituants are gone but their is always someone in the shadows ready to fill the shoes.

byrdman200220
byrdman200220 09/28/08 - 12:56 am
i have been a member of the

i have been a member of the Salvation Army for 19 yrs. The impact this center will have on the harrisburg community will be tremendous. I used to run a basketball program for the local SA and the impact that had on the local community was noticed instantly. With such facilities such as the proposed the possibilities are endless. Thanks Mr. Dugan for coming and making sure the Kroc center is in good hands, the Halls and others have set you up for success.

Venue change sought in Aiken police slaying

Judge Clifton Newman told attorneys for Stephon Carter that a motion to move the venue or select jurors outside Aiken County was premature. Carter is accused of killing Public Safety Officer ...