Frazier might move to Butler

Richmond County School Board member Helen Minchew confirmed Thursday night that Tubman Middle School Principal Dr. Wayne Frazier is being considered for a move to Butler High School in light of recent disciplinary problems at Butler.

"It's being considered, but nothing has been voted on," she said. "It's all up to Dr. (Dana) Bedden to make any recommendations."

Dr. Bedden said Thursday that Dr. Frazier is being looked at, but others also are under review.

"No decisions have been made. I'm looking at various options," he said.

Melody Wooten, the president of Tubman's Parent-Teacher Association, said she and more than 80 PTA members would be upset if Dr. Frazier were to move.

In May, Dr. Frazier was credited by the Georgia Department of Education for turning around Tubman's disciplinary and academic problems. In July, Tubman achieved Adequate Yearly Progress, a first in several years. Dr. Frazier said Thursday that he had heard rumors but nothing official about a move, adding "I don't mind going anywhere. It's all about helping the children and making a difference."

Mrs. Minchew said disciplinary problems at Butler, including a Sept. 11 fight in which several students were arrested, prompted discussion of the possible move. In January, Dr. Frazier was transferred from Bungalow Road Alternative School to Tubman to help address discipline issues there.

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 09/19/08 - 03:43 am
Tubman's loss would be

Tubman's loss would be Butler's gain. But who would replace Dr. Frazier at Tubman? Would that person have what it takes to continue the progress initiated under Dr. Frazier? Probably not, I'm afraid. Educators with his behavioral repertoire are scarce. Frazier's knowledge, skills and attitudes about educational leadership must be disseminated to other current administrators and potential educational leaders in greater Augusta if our kids are to meet the challenges that the globally competitive, 21st century world will offer them.

NEone
NEone 09/19/08 - 05:10 am
Maybe instead of Dr. Frazier

Maybe instead of Dr. Frazier putting out fires all over the county, his time would be better spent training other administrators in his methods.

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/19/08 - 05:46 am
I was thinking the same

I was thinking the same thing.."The Frazier Method" could be taught.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/19/08 - 06:30 am
Instead of making him

Instead of making him principal put him in charge of all the principals. It seems as if he has a grasp of things the way they should be. This way he can go to whereever he's needed without waiting on red tape!

ironpurps
ironpurps 09/19/08 - 06:37 am
Mr. Wayne Frazier rides into

Mr. Wayne Frazier rides into Lumpkin Road on his 'new sherriff' horse in to Butler territory. If he cleans up Butler, give that man a raise!! Get the incompetents out! Oh, while he's there, how about get a football team because what they have now ain't one!

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/19/08 - 07:08 am
At Laney we don't have

At Laney we don't have descipline problems like that at Butler but he would be a PERFECT FIT.... PERFECT. Send Dr. Welcher over to Butler ... send Dr. Frazier to Laney... now... send Dr. razier to Laney now.... send Dr. Frazier to Laney now..... send him to Laney now..... please. God help us.

pofwe
pofwe 09/19/08 - 07:16 am
There has too be another big,

There has too be another big, mean-looking, azz-kicking black educated person in Augusta somewhere. Find him or her, or the facsimile thereof & put them in charge of Murphy. Here's an idea, hire an "old school" bully who knows a trouble-maker when they see one and give him the authority to discipline in front of the class. My most humiliating experience was in 1965, my 9th grade science teacher caught me talking in class, hauled me to the front, pulled out the "board-of-education" and silenced my big mouth. I still hate that ol' b#*+#rd. But I quit talking in his class.

ShakingMyHeadInShame
ShakingMyHeadInShame 09/19/08 - 07:16 am
Seriously, is Dr. Frazier the

Seriously, is Dr. Frazier the only administrator who "gets it"? Obviously he has "THE WAY" that works. If you are a teacher or administrator that hasn't tapped into his knowledge, it's YOUR LOSS!

raptcontemplation
raptcontemplation 09/19/08 - 07:33 am
Do NOT even consider putting

Do NOT even consider putting him in charge of other principals. Richmond County is already too top-heavy with "in charge" people. Let him do for the children the way it's meant to be.

diamondeyeseyes4me222
diamondeyeseyes4me222 09/19/08 - 08:06 am
something needs to be done

something needs to be done about the problems at all schools even the ones being swept under the rug. kids need to be able to walk into the school building being able to focus on school work not worrying about what neighborhood want to fight against who during school hours these are streeet brawls I was speechless watching the tape. It takes away time from the other students who want to learn and who attention is focused only on their school work i'm sure some parents were shocked to see their kids in a street brawl during school hours. My son came home and told me some of the things that are said with these kids and it's sad that some many want to be apart of the gang and "street beat team "they watch t.v and want to do what others do i think they need to get a bus and take all of them over to iraq you see we are in need of more troops says the president and my husband is in iraq for the second time and i could use the opportunity to stop worrying aboiut his safety and send the 'brwalers over there to take his place life is to short for foolishness and dr.wayne frazier does an excellent job but he can't be the only one able to clean up this serious problem it has to be many more.

diamondeyeseyes4me222
diamondeyeseyes4me222 09/19/08 - 08:16 am
dr. frazier needs to be

dr. frazier needs to be promoted to superintendent this mane wears an 's" on his chest for the school system doesn't he. he also need a raise he does an excellent job but each time an incident happens at one school he can't be uprooted suddenly or the only one considered to come fly in every time. i know he doesn't mind but you could tire a person out when everything falls over them bring the gang task force to the school. for the students who are causing problems all the time ship them over to iraq to fight ,send them to texas let them help with the clean up effort they need alot of help over there. don't keep allowing innocent kids lives to be at risk. i send my kids to school to learn now they don't have one on one fights the whole block from one neighborhood fight and it's senseless i worry each time my kids go to school and as a parent it's heartbreaking.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 09/19/08 - 08:21 am
As Dr. Bedden reminds my

As Dr. Bedden reminds my Richmond County friends, "These are your schools." As Fattzz also reminds his listeners, "These are your streets. TAKE BACK YOUR STREETS from the thugs." Dr. Bedden, Fattzz and Dr. Frazier can lead the movement to take back schools and streets from the thugs. But they can't do it with the help of YOU, THE GOOD AND DECENT PEOPLE OF RICHMOND COUNTY. Without YOU neither BHS nor the streets of RC get cleaned of thugs and their wannabees! And these problems are not unique to RC, either.

godogs
godogs 09/19/08 - 08:29 am
Dr. Frazier works for the

Dr. Frazier works for the Board of Education (tax payers) not one particular school. His expertise is apparently needed at another school. Then that is where he should go. If you learned valuable lessons from him at the current school then you (the staff) should still know what you were taught and how things run with him there so continue what is now working. What do you want the man to do hold your hand on a daily basis. Maybe if he is transferred before he leaves he could have a school parent meeting and tell all "that you guys have come so far, school and parenting wise, just continue to watch the good and children grow." Show him you have learned from him and come back one day and say thank you we continued on with what you taught us and we are successful because of you. Don't tie the man down. Time to let go of daddy's hand and walk on your own. Grow up people.

debbie13
debbie13 09/19/08 - 08:33 am
Dr. Frazier is a people

Dr. Frazier is a people person and help make a different in students and families lives who is stuggling with issues. His door is open to everyone. He need to be the CEO for Serenity behavioral health Systems because he take time to listen and and look at issues himself before going by what he hear. Thank God for Dr. Frazier you will have touched alot of hearts.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 09/19/08 - 09:02 am
Mr Frazier was not very

Mr Frazier was not very influential with Richmond County commission to get rid of Mercy Ministries. Many Tubman middle school students come in contact with Crack whores, crack head alcoholic men and paranoid schizophrenics they all mingle freely with the neighborhood school children surrounding Mercy Ministries. Mercy Ministries is two blocks from where the 12 yo kid shot an elderly resident. Please help remove the Mercy Ministries plight from our neighborhood. Support www.hongkongaugustaga.org

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 09/19/08 - 09:07 am
Oddly black leaders do not

Oddly black leaders do not seem to be able to realize the threat posed by ghetto conditions. Why ?

justice4all
justice4all 09/19/08 - 09:33 am
I agree with diamondeyes Dr.

I agree with diamondeyes Dr. Frazier could be the Superintendent, but his presence is needed in & out of our schools. There was once I had some ill feelings of Dr. Frazier when he were at Glenn Hills High. Only because I did "not" know him, since then i've talked to Dr. Frazier and let him know how I appreciated him doing what he did for me and my son and to this day we smile about it. Dr. Bedden my suggestion to you: recruit some of the Retired Army Drill Sergants who don't mind helping "OUR" children of the "FUTURE" and put them in our schools instead of moving Dr. Frazier he cannot be in 2 places at one time. Parents it is our responsibilities to teach our children morales, values and respect for one another.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/19/08 - 09:49 am
LOL @ Oddly black leaders

LOL @ Oddly black leaders *FALLS OUT* Lord help us.

WW1949
WW1949 09/19/08 - 10:26 am
Bring back the paddle with

Bring back the paddle with holes it in, bring back spanking, detention hall and school suspension. Bring back the truency (sp) officer who picked up school children and took them to YDC if they kept skipping. Tell the parents who come to the teacher and say "Not my child" to go back home and let thje teacher decipline the child at school. Take charge of your childs life. But then again this is why some parents work two jobs so their children can go to a private school where a child is accepted into the school and get away from the students with attitudes.

crazyoldman
crazyoldman 09/19/08 - 10:48 am
Why is Butler getting singled

Why is Butler getting singled out once again? I do recall Richmond having a brawl and do not recall them getting all this attention. It’s like somebody that went to or goes to or works or worked at Butler cousin in Egypt can get into trouble and you can bet the farm that the Media is going to drag Butlers name into it. Heck, even if someone from another school (Laney, Richmond, Tubman,Bungalow, Westside) robs or kills anywhere within blocks of Butler they’ll mention Butler but not the suspect‘s school.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/19/08 - 10:58 am
LOL crazyoldman what I don't

LOL crazyoldman what I don't get with the chronicle is if this happen away from a school, they print the school name of the person. If it happen at the Mall and the student attended Butler or Laney LOL... it happen at the Mall not BUTLER or LANEY, so why even mention that in the story.

justus4
justus4 09/19/08 - 11:04 am
Dr. Fraizer cannot do all the

Dr. Fraizer cannot do all the work! These kid's parents have gotta step up, if progress is really to be made. And who is collecting a pay check at Butler now, as principle? Fire him/her. The problem is these so-called teachers & administrators who make friends with students. The conversations should be subject matter specific, with NO "how do U feel today?" Thats the kids first opening to be clever. Those teachers think they are helping by being civil, but they are failing the student. And don't burn out Dr. Fraizer, whose doing another teacher's job anyway. Fire somebody, anybody!

lynninga
lynninga 09/19/08 - 11:18 am
lets keep Dr. Fraizer at

lets keep Dr. Fraizer at Tubman until next school term then make the move if that what ou think Bulter would need. But don't take him away so early in the school. this would mess alot of thing up. Dr. Fraizer is a great person that God put on this earth to make a change. BUt take it one year at a time.
I don't think a move this soon would be good for any school.

crazyoldman
crazyoldman 09/19/08 - 11:28 am
News bulletin, news bulletin,

News bulletin, news bulletin, someone got robbed at gun point ten miles down the road from George P. Butler comprehensive High School.

crazyoldman
crazyoldman 09/19/08 - 11:30 am
News bulletin, news bulletin,

News bulletin, news bulletin, a woman got raped by knife point at Lock and Dam eight miles down the road and around the corner from George P. Butler comprehensive High School

crazyoldman
crazyoldman 09/19/08 - 11:39 am
News bulletin, news bulletin,

News bulletin, news bulletin, in California a man from New Mexico whose grandfather went to George P. Butler comprehensive High School at 2011 Lumpkin Rd. in South Augusta/South Richmond county Ga. got charged by a jury of his peers today for a burglary in San Diego California.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/19/08 - 12:24 pm
Justus I believe you've hit

Justus I believe you've hit the nail on the head, your idea has a lot of merit, I think you should present it to the school board! This is one of the few time we really agree!

061207 09/19/08 - 12:50 pm
What they need is someone

What they need is someone like Crazy Joe from Lean On Me. They use to call me Joe Clark now they call me Crazy Joe.

brotruthdoc
brotruthdoc 09/19/08 - 12:53 pm
i commend Dr. Frazier for his

i commend Dr. Frazier for his uniquie way of calming the storm at one of our schools in the county. Dr. Frazier is an asset to any organization. Nevertheless, the problem with education today is starts at home. Parents have to start being parents again and stop chasing a declining dollar and leaving the streets and teachers to raise thier kids. Secondly, "It takes a village to raise a child." The community has to get behind the school leadership and challenge businesses who benefit off the community to give back more than just a couple of free computers they get from their corporate suppliers and provide the real resources such as tutoring and technology to these schools. Thirdly, the citizens of Richmond, Columbia and the surrounding counties have to stop electing people for city and state government who does not have the citizens of their respective district best interest at heart. Local, state and federal government are for the people and not the reversal. Finally, educational leaders must be held accountable for their actions. Education is the only field where ineffective leaders can remain in thier jobs until retirement. "Change we can beleive in is what we need."

mommie2
mommie2 09/19/08 - 01:16 pm
As a teacher, I totally agree

As a teacher, I totally agree with holding teachers accountable. I bust my butt to ensure that I'm teaching my students to the best of my ability. Yet I know teachers who have been teachers longer than me and sit behind their desks and do nothing but chit-chat and hand out worksheets and text message all day. Where is my incentive to do better? Dr. Bedden has done an amazing job. I hope he doesn't move to another county.

Board rejects fine arts charter school

Organizers behind a proposed fine arts charter school in Columbia County said they are optimistic state officials will approve their plan to open a school in 2015 - a plan that was unanimously ...