High prices, shortage of gas continue

At least one area gasoline station was charging more than $5 a gallon Sunday, and some stations were dry as Hurricane Ike disrupted pipeline deliveries from the Gulf of Mexico.

At Greg's Gas Plus on Georgia Avenue in North Augusta, the price for regular gasoline Sunday was $5.29 a gallon.

Cynthia Cooper, a clerk at the station, said the usual gas supplier was out of fuel, forcing the company to secure gas from suppliers in Savannah, Ga., and Charleston, S.C.

On Thursday afternoon, the store was selling regular for $3.59 a gallon.

"We're getting so many complaints. Lots of rude customers. I tell them, 'Hey, I have to pay the same prices as you,'" Mrs. Cooper said.

A spokesman for Colonial Pipeline, which supplies a gasoline terminal in North Augusta, told The State newspaper in Columbia that supplies could begin moving Sunday or today. The newspaper said shipments from the Gulf normally take about a week to reach North Augusta.

The Augusta Chronicle was unable to reach anyone associated with the terminal on Sunday to confirm the Columbia newspaper's report.

In Columbia County, a Circle K station at Old Petersburg and Old Evans roads posted a price of $9.99 a gallon. Employees said the station was out of gas and posted the high price as a signal to would-be customers.

Staff Writer Johnny Edwards contributed to this story.

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

SUSPECT GOUGING?

Contact local law enforcement or your state's consumer affairs department:

Georgia: (800) 869-1123 or consumer.georgia.gov

South Carolina: (803) 734-4200 or www.scconsumer.gov

Gas Watch

Tell us where you recently got a good deal on gas or saw a sign offering a low price.

Report a price

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 09/15/08 - 03:38 am
AND that is just the

AND that is just the beginning, wait till Christ comes back! Gas is not going to be sent until after the flood waters recede and that would take a while. This economy will have "change" and I refuse to have some number on my hand or forehead!!!!!

bone
bone 09/15/08 - 04:18 am
whoa, slow down there a bit,

whoa, slow down there a bit, deborah: maybe higher gas prices aren't exactly what the good book describes as the end of days.

spotted_assassin
spotted_assassin 09/15/08 - 04:24 am
Well I guess schools will be

Well I guess schools will be shortened to 4 days this week.
Maybe my boss will let me work from home 1 day also.
Guess it's time to go to Pep Boys and get one of those cheap scooters.

Dixieman
Dixieman 09/15/08 - 06:22 am
Drill here! Drill now! Drill

Drill here!
Drill now!
Drill ANWAR!
Or gas will go to $6.66 per gallon and DeborahElliott2 will REALLY freak out!!

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 09/15/08 - 06:31 am
Business as usual!! Nobody is

Business as usual!! Nobody is that lucky!.

oh man
oh man 09/15/08 - 06:36 am
I think we all need to

I think we all need to remember Greg's in the future. Greg's did a major price gouging. They bought the gas when they were willing to sell at 3.45 and then changed within a couple house of over 4.19. We need to return the favor in the future and buy our gas elsewhere. Me for one will no longer support someone who so pointedly put the screws to the rest of us.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/15/08 - 06:50 am
I bought gas at Greg's when

I bought gas at Greg's when it was the cheapest and stopped when it wasn't. When it's the cheapest again, I buy gas at Greg's (just like everyone else that's close to it)

keepinitreal
keepinitreal 09/15/08 - 06:50 am
Excuse me DE2. The mark is of

Excuse me DE2. The mark is of the beast who is of the antichrist. If you accept him then you will have recieved the mark, not by the flooding. The storm causing the problem is one of the many natural disaster's somewhat known as a plague to bring devastion and an end for some areas in the world for reasons only GOD can identify. Maybe he want's to punish Bush for all the havock he's caused by the way he is running things. Seems like FL where his brother is has been in over drive with problems since Bush won this second term. Maybe now because of his home state, TX, other's have to suffer just being there. Some of the good will have to suffer because of the bad.

jsterett
jsterett 09/15/08 - 07:08 am
Keepinitreal, the most

Keepinitreal, the most obvious reality is that you have bought into the liberal media's hate-speech concerning Bush.

raptcontemplation
raptcontemplation 09/15/08 - 07:18 am
Are you all aware of the gas

Are you all aware of the gas tanks FULL OF GAS at the terminal on Sweetwater Road just around the corner from Greg's Gas Plus? And this info comes from an employee there.

caresabouththecounty
caresabouththecounty 09/15/08 - 07:21 am
Seems that the county will

Seems that the county will have to park some of the trucks I've seen parked everywhere OUT OF THE COUNTY. These people have been lucky so in driving their county trucks home but the time has come to park them don't you think. I know I've seen some in McDuffee County and even in South Carolina. Lets get a grip commissioners.

oh man
oh man 09/15/08 - 07:26 am
patricia thomas just remember

patricia thomas just remember under a crisis greg cleared an extra hundred thousand dollars straight out of the pockets of the people. He didn't buy more gas he just stuck it to everyone he could. Supporting his business encourages him. I am just glad so many people reported them to the governors office. I sure hope he gets what is coming to him and if not from the powers at be from the people of our area.

oh man
oh man 09/15/08 - 07:29 am
these gas prices came from

these gas prices came from american screwing other americans not because of drilling. Greg's tanks were full when he was willing to sell at $345 and then within a few hours jumped to $5. What an outstanding american. Supporting him wiht your business will encourage him to do it again.

gmaof7
gmaof7 09/15/08 - 07:34 am
oh man, I agree! I think

oh man, I agree! I think everyone should not set foot on his property for about a week and see how things go for him. As for me, I will not do business with him anymore!

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 09/15/08 - 07:36 am
How do you know he didn't buy

How do you know he didn't buy more gas? Funny I saw two tankers dropping a small load of off road diesel and a little over 1400 gallons of unleaded Saturday, which was all gone by Sunday morning (the unleaded). How do I know this? I work for Greg's Gas Plus and know for a fact he did have to buy gas from a outside source and he paid dearly for it. And if those tanks are full at the Sweetwater terminal, where are all the trucks? I passed by there for the past two nights and the place looks deserted. If people hadn't acted like the damn sky was falling, there wouldn't have been a shortage and maybe we could have gotten through this by conserving, not by filling every car and truck you own on a single day. Remember, when you point a finger you got four pointing back at you.

paulwietherspoon
paulwietherspoon 09/15/08 - 07:37 am
Boycott Gregs--don't buy

Boycott Gregs--don't buy anything from him, not even a pack of gum. Won't take long and he will have lost his ill gotten gains!!!!

426Hemi
426Hemi 09/15/08 - 07:46 am
Drill deb's brain and we'll

Drill deb's brain and we'll have all the black sludge we can muster.

paulwietherspoon
paulwietherspoon 09/15/08 - 07:46 am
Still Cyndi, if you've had a

Still Cyndi, if you've had a million, I don't care to give you one!

iletuknow
iletuknow 09/15/08 - 07:47 am
Greg's Gas Plus is a disgrace

Greg's Gas Plus is a disgrace and represents everything evil in this country.
I call on everyone to boycott this greedy,worthless,parasite.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 09/15/08 - 07:47 am
Go right ahead, paul. What

Go right ahead, paul. What you spend on a Chore Boy and a King Cobra won't break us.

whyme
whyme 09/15/08 - 07:52 am
I think the stations are

I think the stations are taking advantage of the opportunity. They've done it before. Last excuse for high prices was the high cost of foreign oil per barrel, now it's the local refineries. Either way we're being taken advantage of. They know we have to have the gas to get to work to make a little bit of $ to pay for more gas. By the way I haven't heard much about Milton Ruben's free gas for a year giveaway. I'm so glad I have no evidence on my car that I purchased mine from them. They really pulled a few fast ones on me that I'm still paying for. Same in their service dept.

paulwietherspoon
paulwietherspoon 09/15/08 - 07:55 am
Nah Cyndi, I'm one of the

Nah Cyndi, I'm one of the ones you sell the "whacky terbaccey" to that you have stashed under the counter!!

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 09/15/08 - 07:55 am
Ok whatever paul. Now you're

Ok whatever paul. Now you're just being stupid.

justus4
justus4 09/15/08 - 07:57 am
Ha! Ha! And where is George

Ha! Ha! And where is George Bush and his supporters? Ha! Ha! High gas prices benefit his family. They are extremely wealthy and his administration has added billions to his family and it's financial legacy. Wow! The wheels are coming off & look who is driving. Well, this is what U wanted from this guy and now, U got it.

stillamazed
stillamazed 09/15/08 - 08:00 am
WE all need to report this

WE all need to report this gouging to http://gaswatch.energy.gov
this is obsurd what they are doing to us. It's worse here than anywhere else...my sister-in-law out in California said gas was still 3 something there.....gas here has shot from an average 3.47 just before labor day to 4.99.

oh man
oh man 09/15/08 - 08:01 am
boycott gregs on everything

boycott gregs on everything including the illegal items sold behind the counter

paulwietherspoon
paulwietherspoon 09/15/08 - 08:01 am
Justus, what, you mean you're

Justus, what, you mean you're not etting your mils????? Better go check with nobama, he reaked in 60 mil in Aug. What's your problem?

christian134
christian134 09/15/08 - 08:01 am
These prices are disgusting

These prices are disgusting and do nothing more than signal how greedy these persons are...Justus your racism is yelling again...

EJ
EJ 09/15/08 - 08:01 am
cyndick said: "people hadn't

cyndick said: "people hadn't acted like the damn sky was falling, there wouldn't have been a shortage and maybe we could have gotten through this by conserving, not by filling every car and truck you own on a single day" That's right, cyndi, blame the consumer! Good tactic! Price gouging is price gouging and it's against the law. Hope he gets busted for it!

oh man
oh man 09/15/08 - 08:02 am
since the city of na buys

since the city of na buys their gas from greg's wonder who is closing their eyes to illegal items.

Ex-Augusta VA director paid $76k, retired

Under the terms of the contract, Rebecca Wiley agreed to dismiss any allegations against the VA of wrongful or unlawful conduct on the condition the agency pays her $76,006 to retire, restores 238 ...