Across the area

Aiken deputy accused of hitting teen is fired

An Aiken County sheriff's deputy was fired Tuesday, accused of striking an Aiken teenager in the throat after questioning him.

Jeffrey S. Nation, 40, of Cottonwood Drive, was fired after appearing before a Magistrate Court judge, said Lt. Michael Frank of the Aiken County Sheriff's Office.

In a news release, Lt. Frank said Mr. Nation demanded that Lorenzo Williams Jr., 18, of New Ellenton, "pull up his pants" while the two were at the corner of Green and Jackson streets Sunday. Mr. Nation alleged that Mr. Williams attempted to "head-butt" him. An investigation determined the former deputy's accusation was untrue.

Sheriff Michael Hunt apologized to Mr. Williams, to his family and to "our community, because this kind of behavior is unacceptable by any law enforcement officer," he said. Mr. Nation worked for the Aiken County Sheriff's Office three times -- March 2001-July 2002, January 2004-March 2006, and January to September this year.

Aiken voters say no to nonpartisan elections

A referendum to scrap the city of Aiken's two-party election system in favor of nonpartisan elections failed Tuesday, with only 8 percent of the 18,000 registered voters casting ballots.

Stuart Bedenbaugh, the director of voter registration and elections in Aiken County, said the referendum lost in every precinct but one, with 422 voting in favor of nonpartisan elections and 1,015 voting in opposition.

School board OKs new graduation location

The Aiken County School Board approved a recommendation Tuesday to have Aiken County seniors hold their graduation at the University of South Carolina Aiken Convocation Center.

The June ceremonies will allow the five largest high schools -- Aiken, South Aiken, North Augusta, Silver Bluff and Midland Valley -- to use larger facilities to accommodate all family members. Previously, the schools held graduation in their gyms or auditoriums. Parents at Ridge Spring-Monetta and Wagener-Salley high schools are being re-polled about using the facilities. Those schools will announce their graduation location later this month.

Wrecks in Thomson leave two men dead

A 57-year-old Thomson man was killed in a two-vehicle wreck Tuesday on a rain-soaked highway in McDuffie County, the second fatal crash there in two days.

The wreck occurred shortly after 5 p.m. on Georgia Highway 278 just outside Thomson. Authorities said a Dodge Dakota pickup apparently hydroplaned and crossed the center line into the path of a GMC Yukon.

The driver of the Yukon, Terrie Gribanow, attempted to avoid the accident by swerving off the road, but the vehicles collided on the shoulder, according to Georgia State Patrol Trooper 1st Class Mike Callaway. Mrs. Gribanow was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital and was listed in fair condition.

McDuffie County Coroner Rhusha Mack identified the man who died at the scene as Danny Wilson, of the 3100 block of Quail Farm Road. Authorities said he was ejected from the Dodge. Another person in the pickup was Mr. Wilson's son, Rocky Wilson, who was listed in good condition Tuesday night at MCG. Authorities were unsure who was driving the truck.

Also on Tuesday, 25-year-old Nicholas Wiley, of Ridge Road, Thomson, died from injuries suffered when the Jeep he was driving flipped on Ridge Road on Monday afternoon, authorities said.

Derailed train cars cause traffic detour

Five empty Norfolk Southern train cars derailed Tuesday morning at Doug Barnard Parkway and International Boulevard -- blocking traffic throughout the day.

Officials are still trying to determine what caused the accident, Richmond County sheriff's Maj. Richard Weaver said.

Police search for man who robbed Circle K

Columbia County authorities are looking for a man who robbed a Martinez convenience store early Tuesday.

The man entered the Circle K store at the intersection of Belair and Columbia roads about 3:30 a.m., pulled a handgun and demanded money, said Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris. The man left the store with a small amount of cash and two cartons of cigarettes.

Witnesses describe him as a light-skinned black man dressed in blue pants, shirt, hat and shoes. A witness said a white Chevrolet S-10 pickup with a camper shell was in the area at the time. Anyone with information should call (706) 541-2800.

Drug company temp sought in theft of pills

The Aiken County Sheriff's Office has warrants for the arrest of an Aiken man in the theft of weight-loss capsules worth $500,000, the department said in a news release Tuesday.

Jeremy A. Jones, 29, of the 400 block of Shiloh Heights Road, Aiken, will be charged with 16 counts of grand larceny, the release states. Mr. Jones was employed as a temporary worker with Glaxo Smith Kline in Aiken from July to December of last year. The sheriff's office said he removed 16 plastic bags, each weighing an estimated 45 pounds, from the company warehouse.

Anyone with information can call Investigator Charles Cain at the Aiken County Sheriff's Office, (800) 922-9709, or Crimestoppers of the Midlands at (888) 274-6372.

Man uses note to rob bank in Clearwater

The Aiken County Sheriff's Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigation are investigating a Tuesday bank robbery at Regions Bank in Clearwater.

According to a news release, a man walked into the bank on Jefferson Davis Highway about 12:33 p.m. and asked a teller for a deposit slip, on which he wrote a note demanding money.

The man, who never displayed a gun, walked out of the bank with an unknown amount of money.

The robber, who was wearing a Boston Red Sox baseball cap, was seen walking to a white Toyota van driven by a woman, the release states. The vehicle had a Georgia license plate. Anyone with information can call (800) 922-9709.

Dad accused of beating teen with broom stick

A father was arrested Monday, police said, after his 15-year-old daughter was beaten with a broom stick.

Alton Durham Jr., 41, of the 1500 block of Wylds Road, is charged with first-degree cruelty to children, according to Richmond County jail records. According to a sheriff's office report, Mr. Durham and his daughter argued over her cell phone use, and the argument turned physical.

The teen was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where she was treated for an inch-long cut on her forehead, sheriff's Maj. Ken Autry said Tuesday.

Trailer is set on fire while family is inside

Someone tried to set fire to an Augusta man's trailer while he, his wife and two children were inside early Tuesday.

According to a Richmond County Sheriff's Office report, the incident occurred in the 4000 block of Daisy Lane when the victim's wife saw flames and smoke coming from the rear of the trailer.

The fire was extinguished before arson investigators arrived, the report states.

Man injured in watercraft accident

A man was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital Tuesday night following an accident involving two personal watercraft in North Augusta, authorities said.

The incident occurred about 7:45 p.m. at Campbellton Boat Landing off Hammonds Ferry Drive.

The injured man's name wasn't readily available. The accident is being investigated by the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources and North Augusta Department of Public Safety. No other details were available late Tuesday.

Sept. 11 event will be at Augusta Common

A Sept. 11 Remembrance Ceremony will be held on Augusta Common at 9:45 a.m. Thursday, according to a statement from the mayor's office. Families and volunteers from the area will be acknowledged, and there will be a tolling of bells at the time the World Trade Center Towers fell. For more information, call Deputy Chief Carl Scott at (706) 821-1642.

-- From staff reports

Reality
Reality 09/10/08 - 03:02 am
Taxes in Aiken are going up,

Taxes in Aiken are going up, there will be a lawsuit on the way.......

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 09/10/08 - 03:11 am
Is this the Augusta Chronicle

Is this the Augusta Chronicle or the Aiken Gazette?

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/10/08 - 04:52 am
Little more description on

mutt
mutt 09/10/08 - 04:54 am
Sheriff Hunt gets an

Sheriff Hunt gets an "at-a-boy" for this one. I'm not sure how he figured out that the deputy was lying, probably a witness showing up after the fact, but we all know that these things are usually allowed to go to court, where it is the persons word against the officers word, and we all know who gets the benefit of the doubt there. Good Man......good job.

mutt
mutt 09/10/08 - 05:07 am
"Little more description on

"Little more description on the bank robber? Black...white...hispanic...height weight hair color? Why are these descriptions always so vague?
Posted by wyldsfam4 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:52 AM"..........
You can thank political correctness for this policy. He was black, wearing a white tee shirt and blue jeans according to a radio report I heard. The Chronicle and TV stations would rather let murderers and robbers go undetected among us than take the risk of offending peoples fragile sensibilities with the facts. That's the way to put your service to the community ahead of popularity..........NOT!!!! You would think the organ of record for Richmond County would be above playing these little wimpy PC games, but you'd be wrong. At least the people at WGAC News still have a "pair" and will present the facts regardless of who it offends. Morris may be richer but Mary Liz Nolan has more credibility everyday.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/10/08 - 05:37 am
I don't buy that mutt because

I don't buy that mutt because in the article about the circle k being robbed the robber was described. I think it was just poor reporting.

Reality
Reality 09/10/08 - 05:42 am
They seem sporadic on their

They seem sporadic on their descriptions of criminals, maybe to keep the numbers even.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/10/08 - 06:16 am
A black man wearing a white

A black man wearing a white tee shirt and jeans is the same as no description. Even if they added "wearing sneakers".

mutt
mutt 09/10/08 - 06:36 am
Call them, TV or Newspaper,

Call them, TV or Newspaper, and ask why they leave the race of the suspect out of descriptions. If they are as honest with you as they were with me when I asked, then you will know that my statement is true. They are afraid of being accused of profiling. That's the policy, and it's pretty wimpy IMHO. Funny how the policy doesn't apply to the white guy who is being sought for molesting a kid. Personally I think that it's a bad policy that is a disservice to the community.

Reality
Reality 09/10/08 - 06:50 am
You shouldn't beat your child

You shouldn't beat your child with a broomstick, a swat on the bum and a hammer on the mobile phone, job done...

pofwe
pofwe 09/10/08 - 07:01 am
So what if he did beat her

So what if he did beat her with a broom-stick? The little disrespectful reprobate should be body-slammed & then flogged. No, the government controls that too. No wonder the "utes" are running wild, big-brother is protecting their behavior.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/10/08 - 07:17 am
LOL, where was the police

LOL, where was the police when I use to get clucked in the head with the broom LOL.... ooooh the 60s and 70s.....

christian134
christian134 09/10/08 - 07:28 am
They have been reporting like

They have been reporting like this for sometime now mutt...To refer to a member of color in an item of interest would indeed be deemed as profiling to some...What is needed is accurate reporting which includes details such as color, race, gender and age...Not a thing wrong with that and it just might help in apprehension of said criminal...

426Hemi
426Hemi 09/10/08 - 07:44 am
Just don't laugh when dad

Just don't laugh when dad cracks a yardstick across your "crack" and the stick breaks. Out come the hands then. Set me right. Kids today are too damn protected. Swat little Ms. loudmouth across the cheek, she goes to school, tell the nurse, the nurse contacts principal, calls family welfare folks, and/or police, and an investigation ensues. Little Ms. loudmouth has redness on her cheek, but since she was struck-consider it assault. BS. Our bleeding-heart politicians are to thank for squandering parents rights to discipline their kids as they see fit. I'm not talking about a complete beatdown here either!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/10/08 - 07:56 am
Anyone that's raised a 15year

Anyone that's raised a 15year old knows they often need to be beat with a broom stick, but hitting them in the head is out of bounds. You want them to get better, not worse.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 09/10/08 - 08:01 am
Ha I got a 26 year old I'd

Ha I got a 26 year old I'd like to beat with a broomstick!

reruns
reruns 09/10/08 - 08:18 am
I got my tail beat (itseemed

I got my tail beat (itseemed everyday) until i was 17 years old. I left home 10 days after i was 17 and i didn't go back. Most of my beatens were because I cut school twice (during lunch). I had a smart mouth and I had to lie to my parents because i was imprisioned in my home. My father believe that if i wasn't home, i was screwing or doing drugs. Belive it or not - I had no interest in neither. I just wanted to be like all hte others teenagers - hanging out at hte square. Now i spank my children and I want to stop.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/10/08 - 08:26 am
LOL you spank from 1 to 5

LOL you spank from 1 to 5 maybe, from 6 till they are to grown to stay in your house you whoop. I was so scared of getting a whooping I just never got in trouble, whoopings hurt, especially when you have to get your own switch. By the time I turned 14 I opt for punsihment instead of whoopings LOL. I had the option whooping or punishment, I chose the latter... less crying, bruises, and neighborhood embarassment, because back in the day when you got a whooping EVERYBODY knew. The next day the neighborhood kids use to say, oooo, I heard you getting a whooping LOL... oooooh the 60s and 70s....

paulwitherspoon
paulwitherspoon 09/10/08 - 09:20 am
You have that right

You have that right fruit!!!!!!

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/10/08 - 09:56 am
Althought I received my fair

Althought I received my fair share of "whoopings" growing up, it's never okay to strick a child in the head with a boomstick. Anyone raising teens will have to agree there are moments when you just want to plow that attitude right out of them but the arguement over the phone should have never escalated to this point. If she's misusing the cell phone take it from her. This is not a judgement but an observation but for this situation to become so physical, evidently there are some parent/child issues going on way before this incident. I will have to admit once I did take a broom and chased my 16 year old son around the kitchen but never would I have struck him with it....fact is he was almost a foot taller than me and about 40 lbs heavier. It was the only way to get his attention, especially when you're only 5'2"! HA

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/10/08 - 10:03 am
I remember picking my own

I remember picking my own switch ! And it had better be "goodun" and not some wimpy little thang..it felt like fire ants biting your ankles...my momma always aimed for the ankles...but my Grandmother would strike for anyplace that was not moving.. all the while exclaiming that "that she was gonna beat me to a new ground!" ( still do not know what that means) lol

christian134
christian134 09/10/08 - 10:23 am
Oh my goodness karmakills I

Oh my goodness karmakills I did so need that chuckle this fine morning...Actually it was a good chuckle....

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/10/08 - 10:36 am
LOL christian...sorry to say

LOL christian...sorry to say I deserved everyone of those whoopings ! : )

mutt
mutt 09/10/08 - 11:43 am
I agree Christian. In most

I agree Christian. In most news stories, race etc. is irrelevant. But in the case of describing a suspect who is still on the loose, for whatever offense, it is most important to use every descriptive detail available, from race, gender, hair and eye color, clothing, tattoo's, facial hair, hair lip, lisp, and/or limp. Any detail should be put out there to help identify the person being sought, and improve the chances of them being spotted, reported, and apprehended. If it bothers people to find out that certain type crimes are committed by certain races and/or genders more than others, tough noogies, set up study groups and counseling to try and figure out the whys and what to do's about it. But by all means report the facts, without regard as to who does or doesn't like them, that is why the first amendment exists. If a reporter is doing their job as they should, you can bet that someone isn't going to be happy about it. Our forefathers knew that the ability to discover and speak truth without fear was a cornerstone to maintaining a free society. That's why it was the first thing dealt with in the Bill of Rights. BTW, I agree, we need more whoopins and less psychobabble!

i.b.e.w..electric
i.b.e.w..electric 09/10/08 - 12:18 pm
i just watched the dashcam

i just watched the dashcam video of the aiken co. deputy that was fired for pushing a suspect.my question is why was this man fired,the video clearly shows the deputy calmly talking to the suspect and just like what usually happens when a certain race is arrested ,the suspect got in the deputies face in an intimidating way and the deputy pushed him in an angry way.i would have done the same thing,this criminal was not beaten or hurt,he was just pushed. firing this man was wrong.i am gonna call the aiken co. sherriffs office an voice my complaint and i wish more people would do the same thing.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 09/10/08 - 12:58 pm
IBEW you are some kind of

IBEW you are some kind of idiot. Please tell us what race is it that "things like this usually happen with"?

klsm
klsm 09/10/08 - 01:15 pm
OMG ... evidently none of you

OMG ... evidently none of you had a German mother ... ours used wooden spoons ... the ones with the hole in the middle where you could count the circles and see how many "whacks" you got. And she better not break one on you because that would [filtered word] her off worse. Evidently most of you do not have teenagers ... taking the phone does not shut the mouth!!! But I bet that broom stick across the forehead did! lol!

reruns
reruns 09/10/08 - 02:10 pm
I would have tased or mased

I would have tased or mased him.

rufus
rufus 09/10/08 - 04:47 pm
When my kids need a beating I

When my kids need a beating I beat them. I don't care what DFACS says or does