'Rightsizing' criteria OK'd by committee

A committee of the Richmond County Board of Education on Tuesday night tentatively adopted the criteria that will guide its "rightsizing" process, including which schools, if any, to close.

The committee unanimously approved the following criteria: educational climate; schools as centers of the community; school climate and safety; demographics; facility condition, utilization and adequacy; and operational efficiency.

But the document approved by board members, based on community input, emphasizes that decisions will be made in the best interest of the pupil during rightsizing, the process of deciding the best use of the board's facilities.

"Richmond County school system will review and revise its school facilities and their usages due to enrollment decline and demographic shifts but more importantly for the delivery of future educational plans," it states.

The board's considerations will also include school performance and diversity.

In March, MGT of America issued an audit recommending the closing of at least three elementary schools, a middle school and a high school because of declining enrollment and nearly 6,000 empty seats in classrooms.

The full board, which meets at 6 p.m. Thursday, must approve the criteria.

Reach Greg Gelpi at (706) 828-3851 or greg.gelpi@augustachronicle.com.

Ga Values
Ga Values 09/10/08 - 06:16 am
When will there be any

When will there be any SERIOUS cuts in the central office?

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/10/08 - 06:21 am
I wonder how many people will

I wonder how many people will move out of Richmond County once their child has to spend 2 to 3 hours traveling on a bus because they closed the neighborhood school down. One main reason people select communities to live in is proximity to schools. Close a few neighborhood schools and guess what is gonna happen to your tax base? It will shrink. A lot of people will move to nearby counties. If we have so many schools we are thinking of closing them why is RCBOE building new ones. Furthermore. if RCBOE is so short on funds that it needs to close schools then why the heck did we build all these new football stadiums and why oh why did they pay Marion Williams a ridiculous amount for his "church"?

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/10/08 - 07:07 am
Nothing wrong with the

Nothing wrong with the stadiums NOTHING.... And as far as Marion I use to look out of the Band room at his old church and say WHAT, they gave him WHAT....

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/10/08 - 07:22 am
I'm not saying there is

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with having stadiums. It's just if you are contemplating shutting schools down for lack of funds then I would think stadiums would be low on the want list.

reruns 09/10/08 - 07:59 am
Believe me he is working on

Believe me he is working on eliminating personel in the central office. He is having people with medical conditions performing jobs that they have no business doing. Soon that board of ed will be broke, not just because of taxes but from lawsuits.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 09/10/08 - 08:07 am
wyldsfam, i agree 100%, the

wyldsfam, i agree 100%, the comment by jackfruit just shows where the RCBOE'S priorities are, the prevailing belief by many it is better to build fooball stadiums/b-ball gyms, especially for schools that are mainstays on the needs improvement ayp list or even in the case of josey.."state directed", as opposed to making sure there are enuff textbooks for all students. you see wylds, the belief is a football stadium is more effective in teaching children how to read, add or even comprehend what is being read than a book, you see wylds it is the mindset of those like jackfruit and most others is why over 1500 children failed the crct test both times and of those 80% had to be socially promoted to the next grade. take heart wylds keep on questioning the decsions made by the school board because with the mindset of those like jackfruit and the spending habits of the school board, it wont be long before RCBOE loses its accredidation-i.e. clayton county, then the football stadiums or b-ball gyms really won't matter , because lack of school accredidation means the atheletes won't be accepted into college because their high school diplomas won't be worth the paper they are printed on.

reruns 09/10/08 - 08:09 am
That is why we live in

That is why we live in Columbia County. Amen

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 09/10/08 - 08:10 am
The criteria outlined in this

The criteria outlined in this article is about as vague as the bonus clause in the RCBOE Superinendent's contract.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/10/08 - 08:39 am
Again there is nothing wrong

Again there is nothing wrong with each high school having a stadium, education and studying are different things, the stadium holds extracurricular activities nothing more. I hope soon every high school in Augusta who are on the failed AYP list get's off. You have schools in Augusta who have smartboards in each class room, whereas at Laney there are only two in the entire school. I fault the principals for this, I would have the mentality, why can't my school have the same, I'm trying to better my students as well. Oh also, I understand Dr. Welcher met with Dr. Bedden on Monday on how he plans to implement a plan to improve Laney test scores. The thing is with that, Dr. Welcher didn't ask none of his faculty for input.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/10/08 - 08:52 am
Let's try to parse the

Let's try to parse the sentence written by the committee: "Richmond County school system will review and revise its school facilities and their usages . . . for the delivery of future educational plans." Total mish mash. These educators will not speak in plain English.

reruns 09/10/08 - 08:55 am
BRW, plans to build a school

BRW, plans to build a school or stadium starts years before the ground is even broken. Futhermore each and every tax payer in Richmond County sometime ago, had the opportunity to vote. If you don't attend meeting then you have no say so and your opinion won't be heard.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 09/10/08 - 08:58 am
The stadiums were all

The stadiums were all 'planned' for and put in motion under Larke. There are half full schools all over the county that arent being used. National Hills and Garret. Two schools less than a mile apart and there is no good reason to keep them both open, other than the people at national hills prefer their kids to not go to school with those kids near lake olmstead. If you are paying 100 teachers to teach to half full class rooms, doesnt it make sense to combine the schools and pay half the teachers? Then you could actually make the salaries respectable. They need to enforce zoning restrictions as well. Follow up on kids that 'just moved' into a relatives house. I have heard of kids crossing town just to get into a 'new' school.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 09/10/08 - 09:04 am
jackfruit you are right,

jackfruit you are right, EXCEPT for the following, laney and josey graduates less than 40% of its senior class, josey is on the "STATE DIRECTED" list which means they have been on the list of schools failing to meet ayp for so long that the state has come in and is directing the curriculum, laney on the other hand is the next to become state directed (my opinion), due to consistantly poor performance. on top of that there are courses where there are not enuff textbooks for all the students...but i guess since each school get a stadium then the lack of enuff textbooks or school supplies does not matter and really is not of any great consequence to you. i guess it does not matter to you that chances are the children graduating from rich cnty schools can't read, add or comprehend on an 12th grade level at best or are functional illiterates at worse. but as long as there is a "football stadium at every schools, similar to the phase a chicken in every pot" that is fine with you. maybe you need to look at clayton cnty, i am sure there are football stadiums for all but the end result is clayton cnty has lost it's accredidation so tell me what good is the football stadium to them.......

reruns 09/10/08 - 09:08 am
What about the other County

What about the other County residents that bring their children to attend the magnets schools. They you other family memebers addresses to do so. Sit in Davidson's parking lot and count how many columbia, aiken and burke county tags come though in the morning. it is disturbing.

reruns 09/10/08 - 09:14 am
Maybe thier should be a fee

Maybe thier should be a fee to attend the prestigious magnet schools. that will help with the budget shortfall.

Big_vike
Big_vike 09/10/08 - 09:39 am
Complain and cry if you want

Complain and cry if you want to but Laney will close, it has to. Its the smallest High school with the worst performance in Richmond county. If you keep it open because of History, then Josey closes. Both these schools are minutes from each other and ARC so it only makes sense. I also agree that Hephzibah and Laney's football stadiums were unneccessary when there was no money for textbooks. Yes I know that the money for the stadiums was funded years ago, the same years ago that we couldn't afford textbooks and the same years ago that our schools were 49th in the nation. Athletics are extracurriclar activities, as in "outside of the curriculum" IE: not necessary. Tell me about all the "life lessons" the students learn playing sports why don't you, I don't care. The business of the school's is to produce students who can read, write, and study at the next level, our schools fail that across the board. I am in favor of stopping all sports, until our schools as a whole start performing. Then you will see some academic improvement. Its funny how the schools without sports are the best in Georgia, Davidson, and Johnson, because academics and the arts are the focus there!

reruns 09/10/08 - 09:43 am
I wonder how many of you

I wonder how many of you volunteer at the schools. I bet none of you have ever stepped foot in any school other that to complain.

reruns 09/10/08 - 09:45 am
Oh and don't give me that I

Oh and don't give me that I am disabled crap. I bet you still got to walmart.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/10/08 - 09:58 am
Big_vike Laney will NEVER

Big_vike Laney will NEVER close, close ARC or Westside they both are on the AYP list as well. And Davidson and Johnson do have sports and the students that go there are screened and hand picked. The stadiums was a necessity might not be to you but as a Laney Alumni it is and was. Laneys' enrollment is up to 725 this year WHY, because the board has made every student zoned for their particular school GO BACK, because every high school is on AYP.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 09/10/08 - 10:03 am
reruns, being from

reruns, being from pennsylvania i even took the time to read the georgia state constitution, section7 states that public school education MUST be offered free of charge to all state residents, so to charge to attend one of the magnet schools(which are public institutions) is against the law...oh!! don't hate on them because they emphasize academics, instead of criticizing i would think you and others who think you you would be at the RCBOE with pitchforks and torches demanding more schools like johnson, davidson and walker. but i guess as long as there is high school football the education of all children will remain a distant second. by the way reruns i would like to but i currently work a full-time job and going to school full time to obtain my master degree and will be moving on to obtain my ph.d...sorry for being believing in the importance of obtaining an education...by the way why don't you direct that question at the sorry and trifling parents who don't want to step up and do their job and be parents. well i guess that's too hard, and it is easier to blame others or society for the failing of the parents

reruns 09/10/08 - 10:12 am
That was who my comments were

That was who my comments were for, apparently you have some guilt.

reruns 09/10/08 - 10:14 am
Free education - hmm that is

Free education - hmm that is interesting. I spent almost $265 on school supplies and not to mention about 80 bucks a month on lunch. If they would like release my children at 11 am and i will see that they get fed and have extra curricular activites at my expense. that would mean intense academic instruction from 8 to 11. I can handle that. how about you? oh i forgot you are too busy working on your own education to worry about others.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 09/10/08 - 10:21 am
i have none, i being a

i have none, i being a transplant feel that education is the key out of the vicious cycle of poverty, crime drugs and a life time of depending on the system for handouts, maybe it is you who has guilt. it is a shame that i with no axe to grind or children in the RCBOE school system care more about children receiving a quality education and stress the importance of obtaining one in order to complete and be successful in society than you do. so you can think that i have guilt if that will ease your mind and allow you to rationalize the lack of parental involvement leading to poor student achievement..what is georgia in academic achievement 49/50th place??? at laest this way you will have an excuse to blame society for poor academic performance but at least you can watch high school football every friday

reruns 09/10/08 - 10:22 am
Let's focus on saving money.

Let's focus on saving money. Shorten school day, don't serve lunch, and no sports. Just academics. The cost of utilities, maintenance, and salaries would drop alot. The budget deficit would almost be non exisitent.

reruns 09/10/08 - 10:32 am
Are you reading the same post

Are you reading the same post i am sending. Go back to school and redo your degrees. My precious angels don't attend RC. My point was that most of you (in general) want to point blame but yet none of you attend meetings, vote, etc. I do my part with my children and I do see to them becoming well-rounded, intelligent beings of society. It is up to me and only me how I want my children to raised. That is why I go to the school meetings, board meetings, commision meetings. Oh BTW i work full time too. man i am a busy woman.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 09/10/08 - 10:39 am
yes free education paid for

yes free education paid for my the property owners...go to georgia.gov and read your state constitution..lunch is not education, well reruns i ask you how much would you spent on school supplies if the school board spent the money to furnish school supplies instead of football stadiums or basketball gyms???? the more money spent for non-educational purposes leaves less the schools have for less important things like text books or school supplies, which you the parent have to pay for. oh!! by the way reruns...are you going to give me a job paying me what i am worth???? so you are saying i should drop everything a step in and assume the parental responsibility for all the trifling parents??? well gee i didn't know that is what i was supposed to do, how many of this type children have you adopted and are raising???? acutually NO i am not nor is it my responsibility, so don't try and lay that guilt trip on me..they are NOT my children, i have raised all four of mine and or by they they were not even my biological children...so yes it is time for me to pursue my education

reruns 09/10/08 - 11:05 am
Bless your heart, you had it

Bless your heart, you had it so hard. Good for you, let's give her hand. It sounds like she needs one. i know lunch isnt part of the free education. As well as the sports. that is why i said give me my children at 11 am and i will do the rest. All i ask of the state is to educate my children in the morning. As for the school supplies that I buy, well the teachers take it all up on hte first day of school and put it in thier supply closet for the whole class to use. So those deadbeat parents that don't send school supplies, i just bought enough for several kids the whole school year. so i wouldn't mind cutting sports to supply the classrooms. Oh by hte way no job will ever pay you what you think your worth. From what is sounds like you have yourself on a golden pedistal. graduate and you will find out, just like I did. Good luck!

reruns 09/10/08 - 11:06 am
People like jisomjr get in

People like jisomjr get in the way. Oh look at me, I am doing my best for me.

reruns 09/10/08 - 11:15 am
Also it is article 8 of the

Also it is article 8 of the Georgia Constitution that talks about education. Let me guess you are getting your Ph.D. from Troy university or Phoenix. LMAO!

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 09/10/08 - 11:16 am
no and oh! by the way i am a

no and oh! by the way i am a male, so you have little room to talk, until you raise someone else's children as if they were your own you have no room to talk. again let me say it slow so you can understand. my responsibilities as a parent ended when the last of my stepchildren turned 18 (2 years ago), so i don't owe you or society anything, i am sorry your degree is not helping you, i am going back to school not out of need by of my own decsion to make myself more marketable..i have in the past moved from a 9.00 per hour job to a salary management position in 2 1/2 years based on hard work and determination. so additional education will be to make myself even more marketable, and with the same determination i will continue to succeed. actually i was already offered an adjunct teaching position at the same university i am attending. its not about buying supplies, i paid my dues raisng my 4 step children, oh by the way 2 of chose to stay in the area with me (one on the other side of augusta, and his sister in aiken) while their natural birth mom moved back to pennsylvania. so i challenge you ms. rerun try raising children that don't belong to you instead of "buying supplies"

Group demands hearing on commissioner appointment

City leaders appeared to warm to a request Monday by the West Augusta Alliance to hold one or more public hearings before appointing an interim District 7 commissioner to serve until Donnie ...