East Carolina . With upset wins over Virginia Tech and West Virginia, the Pirates and head coach Skip Holtz have become relevant again on the national scene. East Carolina will be favored in their next five games. Translation: The Pirates will be a top-10 team in November.
Larry Farina. This Pac-10 referee has been hammered in the media after he threw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct on Washington quarterback Jake Locker , who tossed the football in the air after scoring late against BYU. The penalty pushed the Huskies back 15 yards and their kicker had his game-tying extra point blocked. Though the Pac-10 defends Farina's decision, claiming he went by the book, it doesn't make it right. This stupid rule needs to be reviewed by the NCAA because refs like this do not show good judgment.
- With sports figures like Brett Favre and Lance Armstrong un-retiring, here's a thought: Maybe Georgia's Vince Dooley stepped down too soon. Dooley retired as the Bulldogs' head man after the 1988 season at age 56. Florida State's Bobby Bowden (78) and Penn State's Joe Paterno (81) are still active and are tied for the most career victories of any Division I (Football Bowl Subdivision) coach. Each has 374.
Where do you think Dooley would be if he were still coaching today?
- History says Georgia will win at South Carolina this week. History also says the Gamecocks will defeat the Bulldogs. Both sides have valid reasons why history will repeat itself on Saturday.
- Also, see why Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama is a huge Penn State fan.
Go to: blogs.augusta.com/blog/65.
RANKING THE BIG FOUR
1. Georgia (2-0, 0-0 Southeastern Conference). Bulldogs offensive line is solid, allowing one sack and helping runners average 7.1 yards per carry.
2. Georgia Tech (2-0, 1-0 Atlantic Coast Conference). It doesn't sound right, but Paul Johnson is the first Yellow Jackets coach to win his first ACC game.
3. Clemson (1-1, 1-0 ACC). Defense remains a concern; Tigers have allowed opponents more than 400 yards total offense in each of their first two games.
4. South Carolina (1-1, 0-1 SEC). When's Stephen Garcia going to get his chance at quarterback? Better yet, when's Aramis Hillary getting his shot?
- N.C. State at Clemson, Noon (CBS-Ch. 12)
- Georgia Tech at Virginia Tech, 3:30 p.m. (ABC-Ch. 6)
- Georgia at South Carolina, 3:30 p.m. (CBS-Ch. 12)
THIS WEEK'S STORY LINES
Clemson: Tigers should have easy time running the ball against the Wolfpack.
Georgia-South Carolina: Bulldogs have not scored a touchdown in past six quarters against the Gamecocks, who desperately need an SEC win.
Georgia Tech: ACC rushing leader faces one of league's better run defenses in Hokies.
-- Chris Gay