Police say woman tried to sell baby for cocaine

A 27-year-old woman was in the Richmond County jail Monday night, charged with attempting to sell her 7-month-old son for crack cocaine.

Back | Next
Johnson  Special
Special
Johnson

Amanda Johnson was taken into custody Sunday afternoon at the Augusta Lodge hotel after what appeared to have been an all-night crack-cocaine party, said Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Grace Wittke.

Ms. Johnson reportedly told a partygoer that she "would sell her baby for crack," said Investigator Wittke, who works in the domestic violence section of the Criminal Investigation Division.

When authorities arrested Ms. Johnson about noon at the hotel, Investigator Wittke said, "the baby reeked of crack-cocaine, was listless and showed little emotion."

Police are still seeking two men on felony narcotics charges, Investigator Wittke said.

Ms. Johnson is charged with second-degree cruelty to children and reckless conduct. She is apparently homeless and did not have any prior offenses, police said. She has another child but does not have custody, police said. The infant boy has been placed in the custody of the Richmond County Department of Family and Children and Services.

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 09/09/08 - 01:53 am
That woman frequents Mercy

That woman frequents Mercy Ministry, Bible Deliverance Temple and Christ Church soup kitchen.....all of these places enable crack heads...they should not be in a residential neighborhood. Support H.O.N.G.K.O.N.G
www.hongkongaugustaga.org

i.b.e.w..electric
i.b.e.w..electric 09/09/08 - 02:24 am
take her baby and tie her

take her baby and tie her tubes ,if she wants to kill herself let her have at it but keep her from having more children.she cant afford a home but she can buy crack DAMN this world and the shape its in.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 09/09/08 - 02:37 am
That poor baby. I pray there

That poor baby. I pray there is no permenant damage. God Bless who reported this, they may have saved this baby's life or at least given it a shot at a decent one and a chance to recover from any damage. Thanks a lot to those of you who do not support regulating people having children who are either unable or refuse to care for their children. For the childrens sake, some people SHOULD be prevented from having children!!!

happythoughts
happythoughts 09/09/08 - 04:19 am
where's the father of this

where's the father of this baby?

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 09/09/08 - 05:01 am
Oooh man, I'd like to stomp a

Oooh man, I'd like to stomp a mudhole in her butt!

1313 09/09/08 - 05:24 am
Where's the father? Come on.

Where's the father? Come on. The definition of mass confusion is Fathers Day in a crack den.

Equaltreatmentforall
Equaltreatmentforall 09/09/08 - 05:32 am
I don't begin to know what

I don't begin to know what the answer is but I know that sooner or later this country will be dealt with. We will feel the hand of God for our failure as a nation. It all begin with taking prayer out of the schools. Little by Little by Lot.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 09/09/08 - 05:35 am
I agree with you 100% Equal.

I agree with you 100% Equal. We got hard times coming.

AMIKLES
AMIKLES 09/09/08 - 05:39 am
they closed down the palms on

they closed down the palms on hwy 25 for crack so why not close the augusta lodge and the motels on molly pond too! oh excuse me, then the registered sex offenders wouldn't have nowhere to live...

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/09/08 - 05:45 am
I just hope I don't get her

I just hope I don't get her as a CASA case. Lord help us.

BamaMan
BamaMan 09/09/08 - 05:45 am
Addresses of many criminals

Addresses of many criminals are hotels on and in the Gordon Hwy area. Sounds to me like these hotels are dens for criminals. Where would these crooks go if all the hotels on Gordon Hwy were closed? I can't imagine them having much business other than the criminals and "1 hour rentals". Guess they don't care where the money comes from, but looks like they WOULD care how safe they are!

Reality
Reality 09/09/08 - 05:48 am
That story is just

That story is just disgusting, who was the crackhead snitch? I don't see where anyone else was arrested...Does smoking crack produce a lot of smoke like a cigarette, the baby was probably high.

DoubleD
DoubleD 09/09/08 - 05:50 am
Crack is a helluva drug.

Crack is a helluva drug.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 09/09/08 - 05:53 am
Want to bet she gets the baby

Want to bet she gets the baby back? She'll be clean for a day or two for DFACS visits and they will help her get into some type of housing and guess what. Happens all of the time. Now tell me about your kids experimenting with drugs and how harmless it is. As adults we have done what we have done. But we should never paint a picture of it being fun and harmless. We should strive to protect our kids not only from the use of drugs but the entire drug scene. There are people there who will mislead and entice and do whatever they can to bring misery to others. I am not passing the blame for anyone who does drugs, that's their choice, I'm saying misery loves company.

stillamazed
stillamazed 09/09/08 - 06:01 am
From looking at her pic she

From looking at her pic she has probably been using for a while, probably used while pregnant, if she didn't care about the baby now why would she care about it when she was pregnant. I hope the baby will be ok and I'm sorry but she should never get this child back. I agree about these hotels but it is common knowledge to all who lives around here what goes on at them so why not more arrests?????Is law enforcement turning a blind eye?

Reality
Reality 09/09/08 - 06:10 am
The police know where they

The police know where they are, if they chase them from there they may end up in your neighborhood...

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 09/09/08 - 06:10 am
Crack is a black-eye on

Crack is a black-eye on America. It is not a social issue but an economic one. As long as Cocaine is so widely used among the elite wealthy for 'fun', there will always be the poor users who buy the cheap coke and anesthetize themselves with the cracked version. Maybe they ought to make baking soda be purchased behind the grocer counter and an ID presented when buying it. This would slow down the distribution and perhaps enable arrests of the ones who convert the drug to the infamous cracked cocaine.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 09/09/08 - 06:17 am
I pity the mother and more-so

I pity the mother and more-so her child-ren. She is the victim of lost hope and is a lost soul. She has forfeited the gifts that God gave her and now her own life most likely. She needs prayer and forgiveness. That being said, the law carries consequences and she should be required to pay for her crimes against her children and herself. Sin is only pleasure for a moment, after that comes the consequences. We all have sins which require us to repent and be forgiven of. But repentance must be sincere, and only God knows the heart. Change begins within each one of us, not in a political speech, not in a choice of candidates, not in peace or war. Change occurs when we yield our lives to Him with Whom we repent to and Who alone has the power to change lives.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 09/09/08 - 06:18 am
Her name says it all. What

Her name says it all. What wrong with the person that snitched? Crackhead or not, at least this time they did something good. Don't know where dad is, but I bet someone can tell you what he is.

john
john 09/09/08 - 06:22 am
DFCS needs to terminate her

DFCS needs to terminate her parental rights period.

426Hemi
426Hemi 09/09/08 - 06:40 am
As fugly as this dog looks,

As fugly as this dog looks, who the hell would want to pork her? BARFFF.....

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 09/09/08 - 06:41 am
I don't see any of these

I don't see any of these pro-lifers posting here, prime example of why pro-choice is the way to vote. Mothers like this don't deserve to reproduce.

426Hemi
426Hemi 09/09/08 - 06:42 am
Yeah, he was probably high on

Yeah, he was probably high on crack at the time, but the wrong one!!!

giwi
giwi 09/09/08 - 06:53 am
Throw her to the wolves!!!

Throw her to the wolves!!! Less of OUR tax money!!!!!!!! Saw her on the news last night and her facial expression was one of unconcern. The sad part is that this child should not have been subject to such abuse!

christian134
christian134 09/09/08 - 06:59 am
This is a real piece of

This is a real piece of humanity for you:-(...Hope and praying for the system to place this child in a home filled with loving and caring folks...As for the young woman she needs hospitalization and sterilization and incarceration. My prayer is for every crack and cocaine dealer to be put on an island in the middle of a shark infested ocean with all the dealers, molesters and others who have given themselves over to the destruction of a society to think about all they have done to harm others and then maybe find redemption....

mommie2
mommie2 09/09/08 - 07:18 am
I say just shoot her.

I say just shoot her.

mommie2
mommie2 09/09/08 - 07:19 am
From the picture, she shows

From the picture, she shows sign of meth abuse as well.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/09/08 - 07:20 am
As for me all I can say is

As for me all I can say is Thank you Lord for All you've done for me. It could have been me or anyone in this type of situation. Exactly why we need to yet pray and pull down strongholds.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/09/08 - 07:31 am

Thank you Lord for your Power, Protection, Mercy, Grace, and your Love.

ibewalkintamemphis
ibewalkintamemphis 09/09/08 - 07:33 am
I bet I know "what" he is

I bet I know "what" he is too. As for her, a 22 bullet behind the left ear would solve her problem and societys.

Kettle donations rise in 2014