Whatever happened to perpetual care?

Will someone in charge please go and clean up the weeds at Westview Cemetery? It looks awful, and they say they have no help to pick weeds or funds to lay white sand back on the graves.

My poor 84-year-old grandmother -- and me with lupus, and my brother with a bad back -- had to get in that hot sun and pull weeds and pay to put sand down. We had some left over and thought they may want it, but they only called her to get it out of the road. City workers did finally use their tractor to push it out of the way until we could find someone else to move it. I'd bet that if you go down to Magnolia Cemetery, things would look a lot different.

Please tell us why the commissioner in that district is not doing anything to help. Obviously the commissioner doesn't live near there like we do. Sometimes prisoners are there looking around! It's not fair for the lady in the office to have to tell past clients who have already paid for perpetual care that there is no help.

Debra Couch, Augusta

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/08/08 - 03:31 am
It's not just that cemetary.

It's not just that cemetary. Some private owned ones have to be threatened with legal action before they will do anything. It's pathetic what certain businesses do as far as customer service. Especially when they know you are not gonna exhume your loved ones and move them to another location.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/08/08 - 06:36 am
I still don't quite grasp the

I still don't quite grasp the idea of cemeteries. What's the advantage of not cremating the corpse?

ripjones
ripjones 09/08/08 - 07:38 am
That was a good one,

That was a good one, Retired...Made my day.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/08/08 - 08:14 am
Well isn't it all about the

Well isn't it all about the individuals last wishes? I myself plan on cremation. It's just smart for economic reasons. To each their own though.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 09/08/08 - 08:28 am
Funerals aren't really about

Funerals aren't really about someone's last wishehes. They should be. Funerals are all about the living, those left behind. Having been to traditional funerals, closed casket and cremations, I found more closure with an open casket traditional funeral. But I agree with wyldsfam4. He's a very smart guy! To each his own.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/08/08 - 10:01 am
RA, I don't understand your

RA, I don't understand your 6:49 comment. Was that humor? Is that an example of cultural divide?

rufus
rufus 09/08/08 - 02:07 pm
Some folks like to visit with

Some folks like to visit with the dead

Farful
Farful 09/08/08 - 02:51 pm
if you have paid for

if you have paid for perpetual care and are not receiving it, you should sue.

melmel
melmel 09/08/08 - 04:40 pm
Hey ghtty, I wonder if it's

Hey ghtty, I wonder if it's in the contract? That is a good idea...Debra Couch if your reading this, I would seriously check into it...
No funds available huh? Like my dad used to say, people are dying to get in there and I know everyone hasn't paid before they are put to rest..