Exempt childless from school taxes

I have been paying property taxes for many years, and all this time also been trying to get a reasonable answer as to why I am forced to pay hundreds of dollars for school taxes when I do not have children.

I am sure that I am not the only person that has this burden. The problem is that I have yet to find anyone who can help alleviate the situation. There is no doubt that taxing a property owner who has no children huge school taxes every year is a gross injustice to all who are affected.

Linda Petroff, Augusta

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 09/08/08 - 01:27 am
Ms. Petroff's view is

Ms. Petroff's view is symptomatic of a self-absorbed philosophy wherein civic responsibility, being incompatible with the post-modern, "It's all about me"-worldview, is deprecated. Maybe her parents should demand a refund on their schooltaxes. If a primary goal of the public school system they helped fund were to graduate people with a strong sense of citizenship, the system apparently- and unfortunately- misfired at least once.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/08/08 - 02:41 am
Well I have to pay taxes to

Well I have to pay taxes to fund the fire department and police even though I don't use them. This is a waste of time LTE. I can sympathize with the elderly on fixed incomes but I will never understand why we let young people live on the dole and the elderly do without. That is so backwards. After you worked all your life to enjoy your retirement you have to do without medicines and sometimes heating and air to make ends meet. Yet we see no problem with paying for women to have babies and live in public housing never trying to better the situation. They also don't have to take drug tests (like most all workers do) there should be either a monetary or time limit on living off the public teat. That will never happen but one can dream.

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 09/08/08 - 04:10 am
Everyone benefits form

Everyone benefits form education. Do you want the kids serving you at restaurants and stores to be even dumber?

bone
bone 09/08/08 - 04:13 am
so when do i get my check?

so when do i get my check?

Reality
Reality 09/08/08 - 04:30 am
I have got to agree, that the

I have got to agree, that the elderly on a fixed income, that have worked and contributed to the tax base should get the breaks. I pay Georgia taxes and I am 3,500 miles away...

Reality
Reality 09/08/08 - 04:33 am
bone, don't work, have kids

bone, don't work, have kids you can't afford, run up credit card debt, buy a house you don't intend to make payments on, buy new Escalade with spinners. After all of that, stick out your hand and say wheres mines.

JustaVoice
JustaVoice 09/08/08 - 04:35 am
Someday you will need a

Someday you will need a surgeon or lawyer or finanical advisor who were educated with your tax dollars. Education benefits the entire community. Next, someone will be preaching that the more children one has, the more one should pay.

Reality
Reality 09/08/08 - 04:55 am
No, but you shouldn't be

No, but you shouldn't be rewarded for having more children.

Rosemary
Rosemary 09/08/08 - 05:21 am
You are ensuring the future

You are ensuring the future of your community by paying taxes for public education. Why should you be exempt just because you don't have children?

lady_alessandra
lady_alessandra 09/08/08 - 05:28 am
Let's see. If they exempt

Let's see. If they exempt childless people from paying the school tax, maybe they could exempt me from paying federal taxes for stuff I will never see or benefit from?? yea -- in your dreams

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/08/08 - 05:41 am
Linda, if you live in a

Linda, if you live in a community, you use the community and contribute toward running the community. You don't get to pick and choose where your taxes go.

christian134
christian134 09/08/08 - 06:04 am
Linda Petroff pay your taxes

Linda Petroff pay your taxes like the rest of us...We are born, we live, we pay our taxes and we die paying our taxes...That is the American Way so you must get used to it...The only way to get any satisfaction would be to vote in the Fair Tax so that all the thousands of illegals and the great many who do not pay their taxes like they should will have to pay...Thereby lessening the burden on the rest of us....

fd1962
fd1962 09/08/08 - 07:23 am
Linda, the best you can do is

Linda, the best you can do is to severely reduce your tax burden. Buy a quarter-acre somewhere and live in a single wide trailer there - with your own well and septic tank. You'll just pay modest taxes on the land only, and a minimal yearly license fee on the trailer. Think of the excitement fierce storms will bring to your life.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 09/08/08 - 07:34 am
I would bet that Linda would

I would bet that Linda would be the first to complain about road conditions, street lights that don't work, limited ss payments, etc. We all must share in the support of the community. French benefits don't come free!

The_Question
The_Question 09/08/08 - 07:41 am
The question is....should we

The question is....should we exempt war protesters from military protection????

Astrea
Astrea 09/08/08 - 07:52 am
I don't have children in a

I don't have children in a Richmond County school, either, and I live in Richmond County. Call me anything you like, but I fail to see why I should pay for someone else's children. Educate them and keep them from being a burden on society, you might say? Excuse me while I laugh. My neighbors teenagers surely went to school in RC at some point and they're rather adept drug dealers. Did they learn THAT on my tax dollars? Our tax dollars are going to further end up paying for them.. because they'll be in JAIL as soon as someone at 401 puts the doughnut down and does their job.

AmazedAmused
AmazedAmused 09/08/08 - 08:05 am
"French benefits don't come

"French benefits don't come free !"

There's a prime example of your education dollars at work !

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 09/08/08 - 08:11 am
" Put the doughnut down and

" Put the doughnut down and does their job". What have you done about the situation besides peek through your curtains? How many calls have you made to the police? Have you documented any suspicious activity? Written down any license plates? Without the help of concerned citizens, law enforcement's job is just that much harder.

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 09/08/08 - 08:34 am
screw you spinks...my father

screw you spinks...my father is 95 yrs old, and has had his tax pocket picked for years...anyone over 70 yrs old should not pay a dime's property tax-period.
why don't we try letting the school "officials" spend the money more wisely,lay off the stupid fact finding trips, quit throwing away money like the did with larke.you are right' amazed"...proof positive all the money in the world isn't going to educate someone who prefers the other choice.

14putt , what glorious institute of higher learning did you squeak through, please tell us...?

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 09/08/08 - 08:35 am
screw you spinks...my father

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 09/08/08 - 08:36 am
screw you spinks...my father

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 09/08/08 - 08:36 am
screw you spinks...my father

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/08/08 - 08:47 am
The same logic would be why

The same logic would be why do I have to pay for welfare recipients, because I give by other means. So much for altruism. You pay taxes on everything you own, then you die and get taxed again-taxed to death. hee,hee,hee.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/08/08 - 08:48 am
The same logic would be why

The same logic would be why do I have to pay for welfare recipients, because I give by other means. I am not on welfare nor any of my family or relatives. So much for altruism. You pay taxes on everything you own, then you die and get taxed again-taxed to death. hee,hee,hee.

Astrea
Astrea 09/08/08 - 08:58 am
HYPOCRITES 08, actually I

HYPOCRITES 08, actually I *have* done everything you mentioned and then some. My husband has even walked INTO 401 not once, but twice, and spoken personally with narcotics officers. Result... business as usual next door. Yet my taxes on my house tripled. I guess I bought a loooooot of doughnuts.

WW1949
WW1949 09/08/08 - 09:15 am
I just received my tax bill

I just received my tax bill Saturday for $6357.57 with a big discount of $59.53 if I pay early. Of that $3851.22 is for school taxes. Quite alot when you do not have any children. I realize that the taxes need to be spread among all but the amount should be equal on all and not based on the value of ones property. The fair tax would fix alot of this and include a lot more people. Not just property owners.

Farful
Farful 09/08/08 - 10:14 am
another stupid AC LTE. by

another stupid AC LTE. by the way, playlikethunder2, you show your ignorance and lack of class by making statements such as "screw you". further, you should never attempt to match wits with Dr. Spinks as he will chew you up rather quickly.

fd1962
fd1962 09/08/08 - 10:32 am
Appreciate the insight,

Appreciate the insight, ghtty, but we're still allowed to form our own opinions here.

FedupwithAUG
FedupwithAUG 09/08/08 - 10:50 am
The system should be reworked

The system should be reworked in some way that makes the parents pay per child in some way. There should be a base school tax for everyone but a surcharge for each child. With a system like this the childless and the private school children would get a break and the renters with children would pay a share. If the parents have to pay in some way more children would be going to school. Then if the child graduates they should get either a discount in their school taxes or a scholarship for college depending on how much they contributed.

Farful
Farful 09/08/08 - 10:55 am
de nada

de nada

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...