Baby in foster care dies in van

NICHOLSON, Ga. --- A 9-month-old girl died Tuesday when her foster mother left her in a closed minivan for more than two hours.

A custody hearing was scheduled this month for the girl's birth mother to try to reclaim her child, said Crandall Heard, the attorney representing the girl's mother.

"There was a hearing set up in the next few weeks to see if this child could go back home, but obviously that will be too late," Mr. Heard said Wednesday.

Jackson County sheriff's deputies and emergency medical personnel responded to a 911 call made from a home on Georgia Highway 334 near Nicholson about 5 p.m. Tuesday and found the child unresponsive, Chief Deputy David Cochran said.

The foster mother, 29-year-old Sharon Osborne, of Nicholson, told sheriff's investigators that she came home from a doctor's appointment shortly before 3 p.m., unloaded two adopted 3-year-old girls from the van and went inside.

Once inside, Ms. Osborne lay down for a nap, and she forgot about the baby in the car, Chief Deputy Cochran said.

She woke up about 5 p.m. and rushed out to find the girl unresponsive in her car seat.

Ms. Osborne's doctor had prescribed medication that might have contributed to her disorientation and drowsiness, Chief Deputy Cochran said.

Sheriff's investigators have sent the girl's body to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Crime Lab in Decatur for an autopsy, but Chief Deputy Cochran believes the girl died from a heat-related illness. The temperature in the Athens area reached a high of about 86 degrees shortly before 4 p.m. Tuesday, according to the National Weather Service.

The baby had no known medical problems, Chief Deputy Cochran said.

Sheriff's detectives will talk with prosecutors to decide whether to charge Ms. Osborne with a crime.

ibewalkintomemphis
ibewalkintomemphis 09/05/08 - 06:06 am
Only 86 degrees and the baby

Only 86 degrees and the baby dies, something's amiss here.

Reality
Reality 09/05/08 - 06:13 am
Has she ever gotten 2 bags of

Has she ever gotten 2 bags of groceries out of the car and left the 3rd in there to rot?????????

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 09/05/08 - 06:31 am
Poor baby.

Poor baby.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 09/05/08 - 06:37 am
The temp in the car will

The temp in the car will always be hotter than the outside temp. She should go to jail, that is a brutal way for a baby to die. And they should take these other foster kids from her, and not allow her to be a foster parent ever again.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 09/05/08 - 06:41 am
Supposedly foster parents are

Supposedly foster parents are there to take care of the children that are abandoned by their natural parents.. yeah right!!!.. way to go DFCS!!

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 09/05/08 - 07:14 am
She had the two and took on

She had the two and took on the responsibility of another. I wonder if she was getting a check for them ? Many foster parents get checks just like single welfare mothers. A little money has turned children into desirable objects for some people. When will the effects of this ugly welfare state end ?

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 09/05/08 - 07:16 am
Some, and I emphasize some,

Some, and I emphasize some, of these foster families do it for the money and don't give a hoot about the children. Does anyone ever check up on foster family conditions? That is so sad.

christian134
christian134 09/05/08 - 07:16 am
Forgot She forgot Please how

Forgot She forgot Please how in this God's green earth do you forget...I had 5 children and I never never FORGOT....This is horrific and this person who put herself above the babies should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law...She Forgot...

ANNOITED1
ANNOITED1 09/05/08 - 07:35 am
ok it is time to start

ok it is time to start letting infants ride in the front seat facing rear so that they are visible at all times!

mommy22girls
mommy22girls 09/05/08 - 07:45 am
What in the world is wrong

What in the world is wrong with these people, again how can you leave your child or any child closed in up in a car for any period of time???? How brainless do you to be??

ibewalkintomemphis
ibewalkintomemphis 09/05/08 - 07:57 am
The first two were adopted,

The first two were adopted, the thisrd was fosteer. i believe you get money for all. Panther, understand the inside temp witll be hotter than the outside----unless the windows are open. My point, with themp at 86* outside at its hottest should not have made it hot enough in side the car to kill the child in 2 hours.

dani
dani 09/05/08 - 07:59 am
Am I the only one who is

Am I the only one who is puzzled by this happening over and over. What is wrong with people? School buses, cars....
It's not where the child is, but the inattention of the adult.

pofwe
pofwe 09/05/08 - 08:07 am
This crap is becoming too

This crap is becoming too frequent and mostly without serious penalty. Because, "A custody hearing was scheduled this month for the girl's birth mother to try to reclaim her child," This foster mother may have forgotten this child unintentionally "on purpose." No excuse for this type of ignorance.

givemeabreak
givemeabreak 09/05/08 - 08:50 am
I am so sick and tired of

I am so sick and tired of hearing these so called mom's forgetting to take their babies out of the car..... BS! come on we all know the real reason----- child is crying and they are too sorry and too damn lazy to comfort the child and leaving them in the car is their way of dealing with the crying.
I would love to stick these women in a car with rolled up windows in 100 degree weather and just "forget" about them.

uscbelle
uscbelle 09/05/08 - 08:56 am
I am a foster/adopt mom to 5

I am a foster/adopt mom to 5 children total. 3 of whom we are adopting! I love my children more than life itself...I could not imagine ever forgetting my baby in the car. Not all foster parents are money hungry, evil people, some of us actually love our children and would give our lives to protect them!
I agree that this type of child abuse is too frequent and is an easy out for alot of parents. This should be punished just like any other negligent death!
And lets not forget that more than most likely this baby's mother was not a saint. And I don't know about GA but in SC we are checked up on ALOT!

426Hemi
426Hemi 09/05/08 - 08:58 am
Temperature inside that

Temperature inside that vehicle could be easily 20 degrees higher than outside temperature. That would make it, uh, 106 degrees. Nah, not enough to die from...wimpy kid!

Reality
Reality 09/05/08 - 09:17 am
Just for information

Just for information purposes,how much money does the State pay you for 5 foster children and how much is made on adoption?

itamazezme
itamazezme 09/05/08 - 09:28 am
I am still at a loss as to

I am still at a loss as to how you forget your children in a car. You forget your keys, you forget to pick up the dry cleaning, you forget any number of things but how you forget innocent, defensless children who are dependent upon you for everything I don't see any reasonable excuse for it. My prayers go out to the mother and family

167167 09/05/08 - 10:52 am
Another individual I find

Another individual I find very responsible in this child's death is the child's birth mother. If we are going to make the choice to have a baby, we need to make the choice to take care of the baby. Had the mother put her baby first in the beginning, the baby would have been with the mother instead of with this negligent, ignorant foster mother. This is horrible! Just imagine how that baby must have felt -- and just helpless. Sickening!

happythoughts
happythoughts 09/05/08 - 10:54 am
another case of someone

another case of someone sleeping in the daytime and a bad thing happens.

peppernik
peppernik 09/05/08 - 01:28 pm
walkintomemphis, what the...?

walkintomemphis, what the...?

change display name
change display name 09/05/08 - 02:36 pm
It depends on the child's

It depends on the child's age, but they get between $12.00 and $18.00 a day per child. Not enough to feed the kids and buy them clothes--so much for make a profit!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 09/05/08 - 04:05 pm
2 children in the west or up

2 children in the west or up north or something died being left in vehicles all day, neither parent was charged. I used to feel sorry for some of these parents. But with all the national media attention and the increasing number of incidents and awareness to this problem, an astonishing number of people are still doing it. Are people really this stupid and after being put on notice are still this stupid? I am starting to wonder if it is an easy way for parents rid rid themselves of an unwanted child, without severe consequences, not all but maybe some. I know that sounds harsh, but it happens and most of the time the people responsible do not get charged, or are charged with a small crime involving no time.

ibewalkintamemphis
ibewalkintamemphis 09/05/08 - 06:50 pm
peppernik, what the h????? I

peppernik, what the h????? I still say, not hot enough to kill the child in 2 hours!!!! I also say, how the h can you "forget" a 9 month old????? Drugs?, prescription? that will do it!!!!

kuntrygirl
kuntrygirl 09/05/08 - 09:59 pm
She should be charged in the

She should be charged in the child's death.Not too long ago the young mom in Hephzibah did the same thing.I will never understand how someone can forget a child in a vehicle! ! They remembered to get themself out.If she was on medication,she new what effects it would have.I am sure it was on the label.Still no excuse.If it made her that disoreinted she should not have taken it.Or at least cut the dosage in half.NO EXCUSE.A poor inocent child suffered to their death because of it.

ibewalkintamemphis
ibewalkintamemphis 09/05/08 - 10:06 pm
It's called drug

It's called drug ABUSE!!!!!!!!!!

uscbelle
uscbelle 09/06/08 - 01:06 am
Actually the stipend given to

Actually the stipend given to foster parents is more like 9 a day and on adoption there is nothing given unless the child has extensive needs.

It burns me that only "bad" foster parents are put in the media. There are alot of us that love the children we care for, and could never imagine hurting them! But that is never or hardly ever published.

JUST_ME
JUST_ME 09/06/08 - 02:50 am
What is wrong with all these

What is wrong with all these mothers/ppl forgetting their babies in cars......Is there something in the water...I mean who the heck FORGETS a baby. I have four kids now ranging from 9-16 and when they were babies they went with me wherever I went, ..There has never been anything so bad in my life since my children have been born(marriage, financial crisis, family discord, unemployment ...you name it) that could EVER distract me enough to the point where I have forgotten the whereabouts of my child...NOTHING

tdp
tdp 09/06/08 - 09:45 am
They are going to have to

They are going to have to start stiffening the penalties for this crime in order for it to stop. I have never once forgotten to take my child out of the car. It wouldn't happen!

BamaMan
BamaMan 09/06/08 - 12:15 pm
how can this keep

how can this keep happening????????