Palin packs a punch

You didn't think vice-presidential candidates could electrify an American electorate, did you?

Back | Next
Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin delivers the end of her speech at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn.  Associated Press
Associated Press

But that was before Sarah Palin came along.

The energy and passion in her speech Wednesday night at the Republican National Convention was not just an exhortation but an invitation to every citizen: "If character is the measure in this election, and hope the theme, and change the goal we share, then I ask you to join our cause."

The governor of Alaska, former mayor and proud "hockey mom" cracked a joke during the speech that is as telling as anything about her attitude and style: "What's the difference between a pit bull and a hockey mom? Lipstick."

People saw flashes of that attitude during the speech as she blew holes through the Potemkin village that is Barack Obama's political record and platform -- each statement delivered with the accuracy of a Bobby Orr slap shot.

"(L)istening to him speak," she said, "it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform -- not even in the state senate."

And this gem: "I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a 'community organizer,' except that you have actual responsibilities."

And especially this: "What does (Obama) actually seek to accomplish, after he's done turning back the waters and healing the planet? The answer is to make government bigger, take more of your money, give you more orders from Washington and to reduce the strength of America in a dangerous world."

The VP candidate's intelligence and vigor were running neck-and-neck with her charm Wednesday night.

People watching her speech likely saw aspects of themselves in Sarah Palin. A proud spouse. A loving parent. A driven professional. A strong leader. A concerned citizen who boldly dives in to make her community better -- whether she's a PTA member or the governor of an entire state.

Don't let the geographic location of Alaska fool you. Palin is Middle America, through and through. She can tell you the price of a gallon of milk because she has actually bought a few in her life. She doesn't have to rely on some political staffer to brief her on milk's price between campaign stops. She is by no means immune to the problems faced by the typical American family.

Though Palin stands on a nominee's pedestal, her ideological feet are planted firmly on the ground, standing side by side with her fellow Americans. She is simply outstanding at connecting with people.

And talk about connecting -- and resonating -- with an audience: The trio of speakers who preceded Palin reminded people what a strong slate of Republicans were vying for the presidency such a short time ago. Each speech was superb in its own way.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney ripped into the liberal mentality that is permeating Washington, D.C. Former Gov. Mike Huckabee displayed his characteristic wit in constructing the grim scenario of an Obama presidency.

But former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani's go-get-'em rouser so powerfully underscored what's at stake in this election. In bold strokes, he painted a compelling picture of the Democratic candidate.

"This is not a personal attack; it's a statement of fact," Giuliani said. "Barack Obama has never led anything. Nothing. Nada."

He also pointed out Obama's record as an Illinois state legislator -- during which he voted only "present" almost 130 times.

"As mayor of New York City, I never got a chance to vote 'present,' " Giuliani said. "And you know, when you're president of the United States, you can't just vote 'present.' You must make decisions."

Three compelling speakers -- all paving the way for Palin's outstanding appearance Wednesday night.

Palin is by no means "politics as usual." Choosing her for the VP slot alongside fellow self-described maverick John McCain helped send a clear message of change to voters who are throwing their hats to the ground in disgust over our ineffective, underperforming federal government.

Now voters must decide which change they can believe in.

factchecker
factchecker 09/05/08 - 04:15 pm
I agree that it is time for a

I agree that it is time for a minority in the White House, whether black, brown, yellow red, woman etc., But just because you are the first does not mean you are the best. And Obama is not the best minority to make that historic leap.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/05/08 - 04:16 pm
I missed peace7487, you have

I missed peace7487, you have me curious now. So "peace" is a misnomer at the moment at least?

factchecker
factchecker 09/05/08 - 04:17 pm
And I am willing to bet you

And I am willing to bet you will NEVER see Palin in a Pantsuit either.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/05/08 - 04:22 pm
Ah, I see, "you people" seems

Ah, I see, "you people" seems to have become peace's favorite phrase at the moment. I must not be part of that group, I've never had a confederate flag, never raised one, never admired one, never allowed one on any of my vehicles or property. I've never hanged anybody, and I'm mixed race. Guess I don't fit the stereotype. And how does he or she know which Iraqi citizens are innocent or not? And what's the bald-faced lie?

SnidleyWhiplash
SnidleyWhiplash 09/05/08 - 04:26 pm
Sorry to break it to you

Sorry to break it to you righties, but Obama will be President-elect come October, due in no small part to the ineptness of the current administration. McSame doesn't have a chance in hell of being elected, regardless of who his VP pick is.

Tell ya what...all I have to do is stop back by these forums to remind myself why I moved away...

factchecker
factchecker 09/05/08 - 04:27 pm
OK folks lets get this

OK folks lets get this straight - when the country first began it was a different time, women and blacks were less equal than white men, we get that, as the evolution of the country progresses we get better and better at equal treatment. You cannot hold something against anyone that happened before they were born. You can only hold against them or praise them for what their own personal actions are. I'm really tired of hearing that I was responsible for slavery, lynchings, sexist oppression and all those other things some of you hate mongers want to spew. If you were lynched you would not be on this board. If you are a slave you are not on this board (a master would not allow you to free think). If you are an oppressed woman you are not on this board as you would not have been given the education or ability be here. Get over it people and worry or be glad about what happens to YOU not someone who is dead and gone decades ago.

justthefacts
22010
justthefacts 09/05/08 - 04:35 pm
Tom, please post once in a

Tom, please post once in a while to remind us of what we are missing since you left.

factchecker
factchecker 09/05/08 - 04:37 pm
TomK - If you knew what you

TomK - If you knew what you were talking about you would know that we will not know who the President-Elect is until November since that is when the elections are. Oh I forgot, you Dems vote early and vote often in the same election huh? I guess you may be right if you all start voting in October.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 09/05/08 - 04:48 pm
Equal opportunity is suppose

Equal opportunity is suppose to be for all. According to dims it is only suppose to be afforded to some and if you're a conservative woman, you are definitely less than equal. Please explain equality for all.

jack234
jack234 09/05/08 - 07:28 pm
What is truly appalling is

What is truly appalling is the fact that this woman puts her personal ambitions above being a mother and taking care of her special needs child and soon to be grandchild. VP is a 24/7 job unlike a lot of other jobs.

KSL
KSL 09/05/08 - 08:57 pm
What is appalling to me is

What is appalling to me is that a conservative woman does what the left and women's libbers have wanted women to be able to do and all they can do now is criticize her solely because she is from the wrong political party.

KSL
KSL 09/05/08 - 09:05 pm
I'm totally astounded. She is

I'm totally astounded. She is the epitome of what all of the libbers have wanted. But now she is villified and it's only because her policies are conservative and not liberal. I'm no where near as conservative as she is. But I am no where near as two faced as you libs are. The last two days have been a real eye opener for me.

j2says
j2says 09/05/08 - 09:06 pm
Actually I'm pretty liberal

Actually I'm pretty liberal in my views and honestly I would question anyone who had a special needs child and 1 pregnant teen and 3 other kids below the age of 18 who wanted to be VP. It comes a times as parents that you need to make sacrifices and having a reall full time job like VP or governor on top of motherhood seems a bit much even for superwoman. And Superwoman Palin is not.

dani
dani 09/05/08 - 09:35 pm
j2..I just posted this on the

j2..I just posted this on the other forum... but there is a residence for the V.P.'s in Wash. The oldest daughter is getting married and probably won't be lving at home, her oldest son is in the service. That leaves Sarah & Todd Palin and three children 15,. 7, and 4 mos. What is your problem?

Leve Tab La
Leve Tab La 09/05/08 - 09:37 pm
In so far as Mrs. Palin

In so far as Mrs. Palin fitting the ideology, she is an obvious choice. She is pro-life, pro gun, anti-gay,etc. That she is attractive is also a very appealing asset. What is interesting in all this banter is that she was never vetted. Now that the media is checking into her credentials it is labled a "media conspiracy". With just a little research it can be shown that the choice of Mrs. Palin is questionable at best. But the reality is that the right has chosen her as the "it girl" and has no interest in viewing her objectively. To do so might require acceptance that she is not the best pick - or to admit that the arguments against Mr. Obama are disingenuous. As a moderate I question Mr. McCain's choice. He was deadset on Lieberman and this is what he chose? The "Maverick" caved into Karl Rove. For all of his efforts to separate himself from Bush last night, he sure caved in to the people he truly despises. Those who have bought into Mrs. Palin will certainly disregard my humble opinion. But when you look past the rhetoric, what do you have? Very little. It is the argument you make against Obama. Obviously it is one you're not willing to accept when it's the person you choose.

dani
dani 09/05/08 - 09:43 pm
Leve Check your facts. She

Leve Check your facts. She was thoroughy vetted. The blogs spread the rumor that she hadn't been because the FBI said they didn't vet her , the facts are, the FBI doesn't vet nominees, only the final winners.

ibewalkintamemphis
ibewalkintamemphis 09/05/08 - 09:44 pm
jack234, go cry in your

jack234, go cry in your corner because nobama's boat sank with you one it--while still at the dock. ROFLMAO at you stupid jerk nots!

KSL
KSL 09/05/08 - 09:59 pm
j2, get real. It's not like

j2, get real. It's not like she can't afford day care. And she does have a husband, unlike many mothers. I cannot believe people in your party are making comments like that. I've had clients where the wife was the bread winner and the husband stayed home with the children, right here in the CSRA. It stings when the tables are turned, doesn't it?

KSL
KSL 09/05/08 - 10:01 pm
j2, have those same comments

j2, have those same comments to the NOW sector of your party. See what they say. I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

ibewalkintamemphis
ibewalkintamemphis 09/05/08 - 10:03 pm
Hillary wants to run in 12!

Hillary wants to run in 12! Is on the attack for nobama? Nobama, be affraid, be very affraid of wolves in sheep's clothing!

Leve Tab La
Leve Tab La 09/05/08 - 10:12 pm
Ms. Cissy, Please check

Ms. Cissy, Please check yours. My position is not to change anyone's mind. I think folks are so thoroughly entrenched that they will disregard any contrarian opinion. I ask, not as an Obama supporter, but as someone trying to present an objective viewpoint, have you checked into some of the "con" arruments regarding Mrs. Palin? Or is all blog or media reporting merely conspiracy? Again, people have dug in. Once their mind is made up, regardless of the side, any contrary argument will be seen as lies. I hate to be a cynic, but that's politics. And agree with my discussion or not, "I ain't dumb". There is enough damning information about everyone in this race. I'm willing to decipher and try to react objectively. From what I've seen folks are totally willing to give Mrs. Palin a pass because she is the new messiah of the right. If she can provide the mmph to back it up, more power to her. But the ability to read a teleprompter does not sway my opinion-either way. I have come to accept some uncomfortable truths about people for whom I've proclaimed deep devotion. I'm just not seeing evidence that the people who bought into Mrs. Palin's cult of personality are willing to do the same.

msmoh2
msmoh2 09/06/08 - 12:05 am
You people are

You people are ridiculous...All of you. I don't think that any of you truly care about this country. You only care about yourselves. Fight! Fight! Fight! And some of you call yourselves Christians...at least thats you display name anyway. Stop all the hating and jibber jabber...you are not going to change anyones mind. People know who they are going to vote for, and nothing you can say for or against that person will change thier minds. What what bothers me more is that most of you don't even have a clue about what you are talking about. Live and let live.

georgiaboy30909
georgiaboy30909 09/06/08 - 12:10 am
You are a [filtered word] Justus

You are a [filtered word] Justus Wooden should be hanged not fired. Learn all the fact first.

georgiaboy30909
georgiaboy30909 09/06/08 - 12:16 am
That Friggin Obama is not

That Friggin Obama is not Black he is ARAB or do you know the difference

j2says
j2says 09/06/08 - 01:19 am
I really don't care what NOW

I really don't care what NOW has to say about my opinion. I'm well aware that they will receive a residence in Washington but how many nights do you beleive she will make it home by 6 pm. It's my opinion and you don't have a clue what party I speak for or against. Bristol isn't anymore getting married than I am. And day care does not and will not take the place of a mother. So, you get real and my problem is selfish mothers. Kathy you didn't turn any tables because the comparison of a working mother with in the CSRA has not comparison with the VP. It's such an irrelevant and irresponsible comparison.

ibewalkintamemphis
ibewalkintamemphis 09/06/08 - 07:54 am
j2, guess she should be like

j2, guess she should be like you---stay home--on the govn't dole!

christian134
christian134 09/06/08 - 10:23 am
msmoh2 the problem with many

msmoh2 the problem with many in this country are those who live by the code of "whatever you want is okay just don't let it bother me" ideology...Name is christian with little "c" but I am Christian none-the-less msmoh2...:-)

Group demands hearing on commissioner appointment

City leaders appeared to warm to a request Monday by the West Augusta Alliance to hold one or more public hearings before appointing an interim District 7 commissioner to serve until Donnie ...