Blatant bias

"That could not have done better for them. That could not have done better for them. Right to the point of the little girls taking the mics away and suddenly turning out to be hams. It's wonderful. It really was terrific. And notice, did you notice throughout that, especially as it built towards its conclusion, the women in that convention hall -- the ones we saw at least; we can't say every one -- but there were tears throughout among the women. And it was not a maudlin speech, it was not a salesmanship speech. There was just a -- I know, I'm beginning to sound borderline sycophantic on this. So I'll stop. You start."

-- MSNBC commentator Keith Olbermann, on Michelle Obama's speech Monday night

By the way, a "sycophant" is defined as a "fawning parasite."

Problem is, the "you" Keith Olbermann was yielding the commentary to was MSNBC's Chris Matthews -- a former Democratic aide and Jimmy Carter speechwriter who once said he got a "thrill" running up his leg when listening to Barack Obama.

Gee, you think maybe the "mainstream" media are in the tank for Obama?

If so, you're not alone. Even other media members and Democrats are beginning to speak out about the running-up-the-legs pro-Obama bias in the national media.

"My colleagues in the national media," said CNN show host Lou Dobbs, "are absolutely biased, in the tank, supporting the Obama candidacy while claiming the mantle of objectivity. Whether they're in the front page of The Washington Post , The New York Times , whether it's any one of the newscasts, I mean, it's ridiculous."

Then there's this from Hillary Clinton supporter Gov. Ed Rendell, Democrat of Pennsylvania: "Ladies and gentleman, the coverage of Barack Obama was embarrassing." Rendell called MSNBC "the official network of the Obama campaign.

"He is running for the most important office in the world. He basically got a free pass."

And then there's Gov. Ted Strickland, Democrat of Ohio, who called the pro-Obama coverage in the Democratic primary "almost shocking at times."

Even Saturday Night Live made fun of it, with a skit portraying a debate moderator asking Clinton tough questions and asking Obama if he was comfortable.

Now that the dirty little secret is out, ironically it may be too late for the very sycophants in the media who are desperate to get Obama elected.

You see, they may have been able to carve a path for him to the Democratic nomination (ever wonder why the Rev. Jeremiah Wright story came out as late as it did?). But now that the bias is becoming famous, and more doubts are surfacing about Obama, the media may have a rougher time getting him elected. If so, that may mean they were successful only in nominating another failed leftist.

Nor is bias always an affirmative activity; sometimes it comes out in the things you don't do. Syndicated columnist Miguel Perez noted that Republican John McCain invited Obama to a number of town hall forums -- "and Obama has really evaded the issue and the media has not been after him for it. And I think that's disgraceful."

"Well," Dobbs added, "I think the way the national media in this country ... is performing is disgraceful."

Washington Post public editor Deborah Howell recently admitted that the newspaper has put Obama on its front pages three times as often as McCain. And Time magazine recently featured an ultra-close-up of Obama on its cover -- the seventh time he's been on it this year, compared to twice for McCain.

The amazing thing -- and perhaps the story of the year -- is that, even after all this sycophantic promotion of Obama by the "mainstream" media, the race is all knotted up.

They won't know what happened if McCain wins.

But it probably won't involve a thrill running up their legs.

grouse
grouse 08/31/08 - 04:35 am
If you want to see bias, read

If you want to see bias, read the previous editorial.

DrGunby68
DrGunby68 08/31/08 - 04:44 am
You're right about

You're right about Olberman...so what. He is just balancing Faux News that you right wingers worship...glad you learned a new word...sycophant...use it three times and it's yours...most of us know this as a 5th grade spelling bee word or at least an SAT analogy from back in the day...give it a rest. We will know what happened if Mc wins...it would be the 2nd stolen election in 8 years...

pauldrake
pauldrake 08/31/08 - 04:58 am
this is the same lou dobbs

this is the same lou dobbs who wants to build a wall around this country and keep the illegal aliens out?the same lou who employees those dreaded illegals to keep his horse stables clean,lou?what happened to your keep em out fight lou?saving a little money like the rest,old buddy?SHUT UP!

ibewalkingtomemphis
ibewalkingtomemphis 08/31/08 - 05:42 am
fawning parsite sounds about

fawning parsite sounds about right for all nobama supporters. The way I heard it, Chris Matthews said he got a thrill running "down" his leg every time he heard nobama speak. From the comments above, kinda like drake, gumby, and grouse undoubtly get. Boys, is it kinda like a "free willie"?

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 08/31/08 - 05:43 am
So it's a stolen election if

So it's a stolen election if we don't go by the popular vote for a presidential election but it's not stolen if it's the popular vote in the democratic presidential nomination? Is that what you are saying?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/31/08 - 06:50 am
no wyldsfam4, they're saying

no wyldsfam4, they're saying if you elect the black man then it's a good election, but if you look at his record and vote against him it's a stolen election. That's called "reasoning of the left".

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/31/08 - 06:55 am
The left wing press being in

The left wing press being in the tank for the Dem party has been the norm since the '50s. Why should it change now? Pointing out this fact doesn't inform anyone. Those that wish to be informed know where to look and those that like the same old choir continue to get their "news" from the same old source. Without this system, there wouldn't be a Dem party and that's a lot worse then not having one.

christian134
christian134 08/31/08 - 07:45 am
Thanks Chronicle for your

Thanks Chronicle for your research and telling of the truth concerning the media's sickening love affair with the likes of this Obama character...

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 08/31/08 - 08:08 am
I am still not sure how we

I am still not sure how we define stolen election. Does that mean if based on the constitution, we go by preset rules? Does that mean that votes cannot be counted if states don't follow preset rules in the nomination process? Does that mean that laws to require identification before you vote are biased? Someone please explain the stolen election conspiracy to me.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/31/08 - 08:12 am
14PUTT, since Gore and Kerry

14PUTT, since Gore and Kerry didn't win the presidency, the elections were stolen.

HARLEY HOG
HARLEY HOG 08/31/08 - 08:14 am
The smell is here too,dems.

The smell is here too,dems.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 08/31/08 - 08:36 am
So if the Democrats

So if the Democrats lose....the election was stolen. Thanks, Pat, for clearing that up. Could you just go over that Dr. Beddin bonus conspiracy one more time? How is that because the RCBOE was legally contracted to provide this bonus if certain preset goals were accomplished and when theose goals were accomplished this bonus was paid? Was this $15,000 stolen as well?

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/31/08 - 08:40 am
The best one, Soledad

The best one, Soledad O"Brien, interviewing a Democratic advsior last week and asked him, "So, when do we go on the attack? Then she smiled and said, "I mean when do the Democrats go on the attack?" No use worrying about it. They were in the tank for Gore and Kerry also. As Gunby said, as a last resort we can always just steal it.

Reality
Reality 08/31/08 - 09:15 am
I would bet my last dollar,

I would bet my last dollar, that when Obama loses, it will be said the election was fixed because of racism.......You thought the Rodney King supporters reeked havoc wait until the election is over..

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 08/31/08 - 09:19 am
The Chronicle and an article

The Chronicle and an article on bias media. Yeah, we all know how balanced your editorials are. You are a sad individual, hoping for a riot so you can say I told you so. Be careful what you wish for. Should there be one, which I doubt, then we will lock their behinds up.

stadry
stadry 08/31/08 - 09:19 am
reality makes a very good

reality makes a very good point,,, losers always seem to point to anything other'n their inability to win.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 08/31/08 - 09:22 am
So, that is why we have all

So, that is why we have all this whining from all you loser republicans? Thank STADRY for clearing it up.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/31/08 - 09:22 am
Hypo, editorials are

Hypo, editorials are different from news reporting. That is the issue. I have no problem with Oberman. He is an entertainer, like Hannity. It is the news anchors that should be fair and balanced.

fwfhhi
fwfhhi 08/31/08 - 10:27 am
Did you hear BHO say that he

Did you hear BHO say that he has been to (57) states with one more to go???????? Read about this persons family, friends, etc before you waste a VOTE.

johnsmith
johnsmith 08/31/08 - 10:50 am
Wow, at least that's settled.

Wow, at least that's settled. Hyppie is complaining about bias...IN AN EDITORIAL. Ok, you are officially too stupid to comment on politics, hyppie. Editorials are biased by nature. It is their function to be biased. What is not supposed to involve bias is when, for example, the same network NEWS anchor interviews two different candidates, or moderates a debate between them, and is A) tossing softballs to one while trying to bean the other, and B) making comments during the actual interview / debate that show his or her strong favoritism for one over the other. See, that's different from the OPINION page...

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 08/31/08 - 11:09 am
JOHNSMITH, I believe you are

JOHNSMITH, I believe you are the stupidazz one. I was not complaining about the editorial. I was saying what a joke it was. I know you think that those of us in " Gobermint skool" are ignorant, but believe it or not you are the ignorant that are too stupid enough to know the difference between sarcasm and complaining. So, you can take your little comments and shove them where they can do your anal retentive azz some good. That is my OPINION.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 08/31/08 - 11:19 am
Putt, I define a stolen

Putt, I define a stolen election, as an election, where the candidates brother purge the rolls, of voters unlikely to vote for my brother. Or using a tricky ballot, in an area that you know you wouldn't win. Or halting a recount, that would reassess a vote, that only had you ahead by one hundred, out of over two million cast. See, that what I'm talking about with Pat, read 6:50 comment. What does a black man have to do with anything? This racist bigot, will do anything, to take a shot a blacks. Smith, opinion or not, these guys ought to be the last ones accusing anybody of bias.

griesella
griesella 08/31/08 - 11:24 am
Bill Maher who is far from

Bill Maher who is far from being a conservative said that Olbermann-Matthews wants to have sex with Obama.

griesella
griesella 08/31/08 - 11:29 am
correction please. what

correction please. what Maher actually said was "I think there is a problem, though, with the media gushing over him too much. I don't think that he's all that, but the media does. I mean, the coverage after, that I was watching, from MSNBC, I mean these guys were ready to have sex with him....It's embarrassing."

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 08/31/08 - 11:49 am
Obama, is better at

Obama, is better at generating a buzz. When a McCain article appears here, even his supporters don't have much to say. They only support him, because he isn't Obama. He's not photogenic, boring and speaks with a monotone voice. He almost sounds like he's trying to convince himself, of the bull he's peddling. Create real buzz and stop whining. S eagle, Obama is carrying the blowhards carreer right now. They should be thankful.OBAMA/BIDEN 08 &12!!!!!

sjgraci
sjgraci 08/31/08 - 11:59 am
If you don't want commentary,

If you don't want commentary, watch CSPAN. As for MSNBC's commentary, of course Olbermann is for Obama as is Rachel Maddow. The rest of the commentary was horrible and I don't even think Olbermann did a good job. He is much better when he is truly unrestrained on his own show. All MSNBC and CNN talked about were PUMAs, Democrats disunity, what Bill and Hillary were/weren't going to do, and that there was not enough red meat (there was plenty if they would have actually showed some of the speakers). The only one that had it right that the media was blowing everything way out of proportion was Chuck Todd. The Dems had an amazing convention as was evidenced by the 83,000 that attended the final night and the 38 million plus that tuned in. As for real bias I tuned in to Faux one time on purpose and that was after Obama's speech. Every commentator including Brit Hume and the token black liberal Juan Williams were critical of what MSNBC's radical right Pat Buchannan called "The Greatest Convention Speech Ever", except one, William "the Bloody" Kristol. Quit whining that there are actually a few liberals on TV for once. Liberals have put up with right wing talking heads and Faux too long.

jack
jack 08/31/08 - 12:26 pm
Grouse, if the truth is

Grouse, if the truth is biased, so be it. Gummy, how many times do votes have to be counted and foun in favor ovf Bush to convince someone who claims to be educated that the election was legit? Sycopahnt also means one who kisses someone's butt and that is exactly what the likes of Olberman, Mathews, and the MSM in general et al are doing with Obama.

disssman
disssman 08/31/08 - 12:32 pm
I don't care what Ms Obama

I don't care what Ms Obama says, or Oberman or any of the others that are not being elected! I look at things like; who will reduce my taxes, who will rebuild our military, Who will take on big medical and provide care (in the facilities paid for by taxes) for sick people, who is looking at the long term for the country, who actually is in concert with working class america (which I am a part of) ? So the first candidate that addresses those issues will be my choice. And you can bet it will not be a decision based on my religious convictions because my religious convictions don't pay my bills and feed my family, regardless of how hard I pray!

jack
jack 08/31/08 - 12:33 pm
pauldrake, seems I can't find

pauldrake, seems I can't find a reputable site that says anything about Dobbs using illegals. Note, I said reputable. Leftist blogs are notorious for lies and distortion of the truth.

jack
jack 08/31/08 - 12:38 pm
Hypocrites, we conservatives

Hypocrites, we conservatives have realized and openly stated why the Repubs lost in 06 and that is the FACT that they forgot the conservatives and their pricipals that elected them. Many of us stayed home in 06. When are you DIMs goind to get over the fact that Bush won TWICE1