Deadbeat parents pursued

A countywide crackdown on deadbeat parents has yielded more than 70 arrests.

Back | Next
Superior Court Judge Sheryl Jolly swears in a man before asking him about his failure to pay child support. Richmond County police have arrested 73 people who owe money.  Michael Holahan/Staff
Michael Holahan/Staff

Throughout the week, deputies from the Richmond County Sheriff's Office Crime Suppression Team have been rounding up parents who are late on child support payments, sheriff's Lt. Scott Gay said.

Those arrested have been charged with contempt for defaulting on court-ordered support payments for their children -- some by more than $80,000.

"There appears to be 169 that are delinquent on their child support payments," Lt. Gay said.

By Friday afternoon, 63 fathers and 10 mothers had been arrested.

Superior Court Judge Sheryl B. Jolly said earlier this week that Operation Back to School Sweep developed when the Office of Child Support Services sought her help to get a hold of the parents with the largest past-due payments. The back-to-school period seemed a good time to remind delinquent parents that they must support their children.

Thousands of children aren't getting monthly support payments, Judge Jolly said. The Office of Child Support Services has 447,570 cases in Georgia.

On Friday afternoon, those arrested throughout the week took a seat before Judge Jolly in jail jumpsuits and handcuffs. One man who fathered children with three different women hadn't made a child support payment since 2005 and owed about $82,000. He promised the judge he would get a job and start making payments. He got behind because of a three-year prison sentence, his mother said.

Most had excuses -- bills, layoffs, other children to support. In the end, however, they still have court-ordered payments to make, Judge Jolly explained.

"Would you like the opportunity to go back to work, or would you like to stay with us for awhile?" she asked a father who owed nearly $8,000. She told him he had to make a $500 payment or spend 30 days in jail. He asked what would happen after 30 days if he chose that option.

"You come back to see me," Judge Jolly said.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

rbk
rbk 08/30/08 - 04:00 am
Most of the sorry jackasses

Most of the sorry jackasses would rather go to jail than to work and pay. Too bad they can't be made impotent where they couldn't enjoy themselves or father any more children to be supported by society. Same thing ought to be done to the unmarried mothers that constantly spit out unwanted children that are supported by society.

Reality
Reality 08/30/08 - 04:46 am
It is all a numbers game a

It is all a numbers game a lot of these punks have never had any intention of paying for anything. It does give the population numbers a boost though....The one guy promises to get a job and pay, I believe that one, he will find a better hiding place.

karmakills123
karmakills123 08/30/08 - 05:19 am
they should sterilize at

they should sterilize at birth....................................maybe the Chinese have the right idea

luckie
luckie 08/30/08 - 07:43 am
Society also needs to take a

Society also needs to take a look at these women who sleep around and keep having these babies. The child support formula hurts the father from progressing while the moms sit at home. Mothers should be forced to work, too. I also believe that there are dads that want to have an active role but cannot afford attorneys and the women give them so much harassment about visitation that they take on an attitude of helplessness and say the heck with it.

owed child support
owed child support 08/30/08 - 07:53 am
I am glad to see they finaly

I am glad to see they finaly put these no good sorry people in jail. It is a shame that their live goes on with no thought for the children they produced. I am raising 2 grandchildren and the only time I get money is when we go to court every 3 months. The judge says if I see you again in my court you will go to jail. Well I have heard that story 3 times and she is still not in jail. But you can bet she is at the bar everytime the door opens. I think the next BARS she sees she should be behind. When is enough , Enough!! The kids like to go out to eat or the football game, and that cost about $30. I know she spends more than that in the bar. So what is fair here, her freedom or their right to be provided for?

struggling parent
struggling parent 08/30/08 - 08:19 am
It took me 6 years to get him

It took me 6 years to get him to child support office and then it took 7 years to finally have Judge Roper to toss him in jail to finally pay somethimg and got it settled. Now the SOB is paying so he wouldn't go back to jail.

The man who will spend 30 days in jail, won't. The jail will process him out after 20 days due to overcrowding.

tyjam
tyjam 08/30/08 - 09:07 am
Wow, he much rather sit in

Wow, he much rather sit in jail for 30 days than support his kids. I hope somebody tells his kids that.

christian134
christian134 08/30/08 - 09:34 am
All I can say is "About

All I can say is "About Time"...Thanks Judge Jolly...Now let us pray you and others will find a way to make the judgments stick...If they don't find honest work then put them in camps to work off their debt...

workingmom
workingmom 08/30/08 - 09:58 am
I'm glad to see the judge

I'm glad to see the judge making an attempt to find these people and hold them accountable. People should be held accountable for their choices, both good and poor. Some of these are most likely young people who are high school or college drop outs because of their lack of self control when they created these children. Some have children with multiple partners. Choices such as these make it very hard to support children financially, much less emotionally. And then they wonder why the court is being so "unfair" to them. Give me a break.

southern2
southern2 08/30/08 - 10:02 am
Another taxed to death, law

Another taxed to death, law abiding, bill paying citizen says thanks to Judge Jolly. I just hope that other judges and lawmaking politicians will follow your example of getting tough on the irresponsible deadbeats that burden our society.

WW1949
WW1949 08/30/08 - 10:04 am
Streets are dirty, parks need

Streets are dirty, parks need cleaning and if you make these sorry parents work for the county while in jail everything would be clean. Also send them to the doctor to have tubes tied or a vasactomy. We don't need them producing any more babies. Remember it takes two and both are at fault for having children with several different fathers. What kind of morals do these people have? None it looks like.

Edward B. Turner
Edward B. Turner 08/30/08 - 10:12 am
Those bottom-feeders ought

Those bottom-feeders ought not to mess with Judge Jolly. Next to not supporting their children, it's the biggest mistake they can make if they do.....nice work, your honor.

happythoughts
happythoughts 08/30/08 - 10:25 am
Luckie, the father of these

Luckie, the father of these babies should have took a look at the women he was sleeping with. You make your bed you have to lie in it.

BeatDeadFather
BeatDeadFather 08/30/08 - 11:10 am
I am totally amazed at the

I am totally amazed at the low brow neanderthal thinking and judgemental attitudes being posted. Of course parents who don't even try to pay CS are deadbeats, but what about the ones that have been and are going through financial hardships and cannot get help? What about the parents who have been financially raped by the family court system and ordered to pay 70% or more of their income such as I. I have been trying to modify my child support for almost a year now to no avail and am losing everything I have just trying to stay out of jail. I am not a deadbeat and am giving the mother everything I have and in the process being financially destroyed and the courts will do nothing about it. Paying 10,400.00 a year for 1 child when last year I made 19, 900.00 before taxes is extortion. I am soon to be destroyed and put in jail and my daughter will get nothing, how in the hell is that in the best interest of my daughter???? You people need to educate yourselves on what is truly happening with this injustice system and see the truth. And all you idiots that don't care about your children and don't want to support your children, well you are the ones that truly need to be punished.

happythoughts
happythoughts 08/30/08 - 11:35 am
BeatDeadFather, TRY channel

BeatDeadFather, TRY channel 12 on your side. Sounds like you're getting ripped off, that is, if this is the honest truth.

BeatDeadFather
BeatDeadFather 08/30/08 - 11:37 am
Its the honest truth, I have

Its the honest truth, I have the paperwork, documents, records, and the trail of destruction to prove it.......

dadzrites
dadzrites 08/30/08 - 11:46 am
We see the child support-law

We see the child support-law enforcement INDUSTRY at work arresting people for owing CIVIL debt. Empirical studies show that true "deadbeats" account for less than 2% of those who owe.

These arrests are unconstitutional, criminal official misconduct by the sheriff's & courts. The Federal courts hold that probable cause to arrest only exists in CRIMINAL matters; it never exists in civil matters. Everyone arrested for owing child support can sue the sheriffs and jailors for false arrest, false imprisonment for debt, assault, fraud, extortion, kidnapping, racketeering, etc. DUE PROCESS entitles them to hearings & attys BEFORE arrest.

The state receives federal funding, under 42 USC 658a, for child support ordered, collected and enforced. The monies are put into state coffers w/no conditions, & pays state employee and judicial pensions and salaries. Judges have a serious, unconstitutional conflict of interest for sitting on these cases. The US Sup. Ct. has held that judges can't sit on cases where they have a financial interest in the outcome of them.

Bruce Eden, Civil Rights Director
DADS--NJ & NY
973-616-9558
Wayne, NJ
b_eden@verizon.net
www.dadsamerica.org

dadzrites
dadzrites 08/30/08 - 11:54 am
Why isn't the state arresting

Why isn't the state arresting delinquent mortgage, credit card or auto loan payors? The federal courts have held that child support is nothing more than a common, civil debt. Those courts have held that child support IS NOT a special kind of debt. It's politically correct to to arrest, humiliate, denigrate, criminalize and ultimately discriminate against men (why most of child custody awards go to women? Because men are mostly breadwinners and that's where the money can be extorted from; even though 35% of breadwinners are women).

Men need to start filing class actions against the entire child support industry and stop the funding of this massive taxpayer fraud which figures show it costs $5-10 BILLION to run. Eliminate the bureaucracy and unconstitutional practices, and send the checks (like Social Security--which child support laws fall under) to the children, instead of wasting taxpayers' monies to justify jobs, salaries and pensions.

Bruce Eden, Civil Rights Director

Dads Against Discrimination (DADS)--NJ & NY Chapters

Wayne, NJ

973-616-9558

b_eden@verizon.net

www.dadsamerica.org

dadzrites
dadzrites 08/30/08 - 12:02 pm
Time to tax child support as

Time to tax child support as regular income. This will stop the state from taking over the job as "daddy" and "father" to women who want a windfall. Child support awards and guidelines based on old Soviet-style child support laws (Article 81 of Soviet Family Law; see "Wisconsin Model" of Soviet-style child support (based on gross income; not net income) used by 13 states including Wisconsin, New York and, yes, Georgia. Surprisingly, GA has a fidelity oath that all public officials and judges must take that they will not support communism in any way, shape or form. Yet, they continue to do so with child support laws, domestic violence laws and even no-fault divorce laws. The guidelines will no longer be used to fabricate a number that most people cannot afford to pay. This will curtail many divorces in the process, and those that do divorce will want to have equal custody and SHARE the expense of raising their children.

Bruce Eden, Civil Rights Director, DADS (Dads Against Discrimination)--NJ & NY Chapters (also, Family Therapy Center of GA & NY, www.familyunity.com), Wayne, NJ, 973-616-9558, b_eden@verizon.net, www.dadsamerica.org

Hephzibah44
Hephzibah44 08/30/08 - 01:11 pm
I just want my $16,386.25

I just want my $16,386.25 (just checked the child support website 5 minutes ago didn't know it was that much I try not to look at it because it just makes my blood boil) in back child support.

Chuchi
Chuchi 08/30/08 - 03:36 pm
I thought that child support

I thought that child support payments are court-ordered because to not support your child financially is considered child neglect, which is actionable. So a deadbeat parent can be held in contempt of court and can be arrested. That's what I was told, anyway. I do think that fathers don't get a fair shake in the system. A friend of mine got lucky and was able to get joint legal and physical custody of his kids (week on, week off) but it cost him a ton of legal fees to do it. Plus he still had to pay child support to his ex which seems unfair to me since they both had custody of the kids -- why didn't she have to pay him? Some judgments make no sense at all.

workingmom
workingmom 08/30/08 - 05:02 pm
I see where you're coming

I see where you're coming from Chuchi. If both parents have an income then both should be equally responsible for supporting the children. If one parent is working, it should be mandatory that the other gain employment so as not to put an unnecessary strain on the employed parent's finances. I know women who sit at home and wait on that check to come in each month but refuse to go out and seek employment. They would rather remain a victim (in their eyes) and get attention for complaining about having no money than go out and get a job to help themselves and their children. Sad.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 08/30/08 - 05:05 pm
How would you feel if you had

How would you feel if you had custody of three children, receiving child support of 600 a month, less than 1/3 of what it should be, and no alimony because your ex is on disability, yet the ladies at the gym are all atwitter because he's pressing 400 lbs plus with his legs? He expected me to put his shoes and socks on, prepare his meals, wash his clothes, pick up after him, clean the house, take care of the yard and cars, even after he filed for divorce, before the separation. I did, until he smarted off that he probably shouldn't eat what I fix him, that I was probably poisoning him. Seems like the logical thing to do after a crack like that is stop preparing his food, so I did. He really got cranky after that, which means he KNEW I wouldn't ever do something like that. I was doing EVERYTHING he wanted after he filed. That's why he had to keep filing over again. I finally asked him why he was still chasing me around the house, did he still love me? I won't quote, but the words boiled down to, he still wanted what he wanted, but nothing else and he didn't love me. I said, "No more." I guess he's finding out now, what it's like to want.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 08/30/08 - 05:18 pm
A lot of people think women

A lot of people think women are sitting at home by choice, when they are not always. There may be a reason they are not out in the workforce that unless you know them personally and not just through what the ex has told you, you would not know. I know a few spouses (one male, several females) that sit at home by choice and wait on that check that are doing just fine. They are good parents, the money is sufficient to cover their needs and the children and households are well-cared for. The working spouses in these cases are glad to provide for the stay at home spouse, so that he or she CAN stay at home and run a tight ship. Their children don't come home after school to an empty house, rush through their homework (if they do it at all) and then run the streets because they are supervised by a responsible parent. I wish the economy allowed this to happen for more spouses that would prefer that arrangement. I realize that is not the reality for most and that many divorced parents are both working parents that whose children not only have latch key afternoons, but sometimes don't get to see their parents in the evenings either because of required continued education.

workingmom
workingmom 08/30/08 - 05:51 pm
Wow Baroness, you sound

Wow Baroness, you sound angry. I suppose if I were in that situation I would try to figure out a way to help myself. Of course that all depends on the ages of the children. If they are too young to leave home alone, then you would have to be more creative and try to find ways of earning income from home or while the children are in school. Latchkey children are not a good thing. If they are old enough to be alone for a couple of hours in the evenings (In Ga. the legal age is 9) or even work, then that may be an option. I know women who have more than one child who have bounced back from divorces and are doing fine. It's hard but at some point people have to stop blaming and take responsibility for their own choices. A quote from Robin McGraw comes to mind, "I believe in the core of my being that you don’t
have to bring into your life anything that isn’t working for you, nor are you doomed to a destiny you had no part in creating. Each of us possesses the will to create her own legacy. And it’s all a choice." It's a great book, especially for women.

Trevdog24
Trevdog24 08/30/08 - 06:51 pm
with all the mexicans in the

with all the mexicans in the csra and the contractors who hire them do to cheap labor and more heads,lots of us in construction are losing work and cannot even support our families. why don't the courts work on that.

enana03
enana03 08/30/08 - 07:28 pm
The non-custodial parent

The non-custodial parent whether it is the mother or father should willing and lovingly support the offspring they chose to create. Anyone who doesn't should be mandated to have nothing, not food, not housing, not entertainment, not own a vehicle, etc. until the arrearage is completely paid up and the payments kept current. Orange jumpsuits come in all sizes!

Martinez
Martinez 08/30/08 - 08:08 pm
To the person who said they

To the person who said they hope the child knows the father won't support them - that is ignorant! I am a hard working woman who is owed over $ 30,000 in child support, a fact my child has NO business being told. His relationship with his father, or lack thereof, should not be determined by my hardships, financial or otherwise. In my opinion, putting a child in the middle of adult issues is equally as harmful as a father (or mother) not supporting a child. One may be considered neglect but the other is emotional abuse. How do you look a child in the eye and tell them that half of their DNA is flawed or deficient? Maybe the statement would be true but it certainly isn't my place to tell it.

iraqtigger
iraqtigger 08/30/08 - 08:25 pm
The men can't get a job, well

The men can't get a job, well I know the US Military will take them, and then they have no excuse. They could be over here in Iraq with me. Also, the man who complained he only makes $19,000 a year, the military pays more, join up and support your kid. $10,000 a year doesn't go very far with a child. Try getting custody and taking care of your daughter yourself and see if you can live on $19,000 a year. Probably not. The State needs to develop work farms where deadbeats canwork off their debt. They work, eat and sleep on the farm, and all their money goes to their debt until it is paid off. There is plenty of work in the State for these work farms to do. Clean up our streets make Georgia beautiful. Also, have them work with the State road crews to fix our roads and help with the road construction to help get it finished sooner. One more thing, if you don't want to join the military, try a contract job with the government like I have over here. It pays good, but you won't have all the nice food, shelter, and bars like you do in the USA. You might have to make some sacrifices, Oh I forgot, youwould never sacrifice something for your child, that is why you are in jail.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 08/30/08 - 08:59 pm
I'll chime in on this one

I'll chime in on this one also. I have a deadbeat MOM who owes my youngest son over $40K for so many yrs she did not pay support. He is now in his last yr of HS and she is finally paying via the Ga ch sppt office, but she won't be required to pay after age 18 because of laws that do not mandate the amt be paid in full no matter the age of the child. How can I recoup the money owed my child? He could sure use it for college. There is so little said about dads who care for their children w/o spousal assistance. Oh yeah she had at least three abortions that I now know about, so if I'd known this before marriage I might have avoided the problem altogether. What say you women who uphold abortion rights and yet demand ch sppt from your exes? Not all men are deadbeat dads. Sometimes its the woman who is a deadbeat. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.