Gross misconceptions of Islam abound

I read with interest the letter titled "U.N. wrongly forbids criticism of Islam" (Aug. 26) in the Letters to the Editor section of your newspaper. I like to correct the writer on misconception and wrong definition of the Quran and the Hadith.

The Quran is the revelation from God through the angel Gabriel to the Prophet Muhammad. The whole of the Quran was memorized by the Prophet Muhammad and many of his companions, and it was written down as a book. It is a revealed book like the Torah and Bible. The Hadith is a collection of sayings and practices of the Prophet Mohammad to apply the teachings and laws given in the Quran. The Hadith was meticulously collected and authenticated by the scholars of Islam.

Islam is so violently attacked in the press and the media, and misinformation about Islam abounds to the extent that ignorance about Islam is widespread. The United Nations rightly forbids criticism on Islam because it is not genuine criticism but malicious fabrication. This does not help world peace. All religions teach peace, and we must strive to understand truth about religions.

Islam's teaching is very much the teaching of the Torah and the Bible for the worship of one God. Islam, like Judaism and Christianity, is an Abrahamic religion. Islam recognizes Moses and Jesus as prophets along with many other prophets mentioned in the Torah and the Bible.

Those who are interested in Islam can read the books Islam: The Straight Path, by Prof. John L. Esposito, and A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, by Karen Armstrong.

I. A. Jilani

Martinez

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 08/29/08 - 03:42 am
There is but one God, and his

There is but one God, and his name is Jehovah, or Jaweh, not Allah, along with His Son, Jesus and His Holy Spirit. All those who worship false gods will suffer His judgment, not humankind's. I can, and will criticize Islam, should I decide to, and that right is protected by the Constitution of the United States. To hell with the UN. The criticism of Islam has been based on the actions of it's members, who either bomb innocents, or whose leaders fail grossly to condemn their actions and teach more strongly that the beliefs of those who are radical are evil and false. If the criticisms are wrong; prove it, as there have been many quotes from the Quran proving those statements are justified.
IC XC
NIKA
Jesus Christ Conquers

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 08/29/08 - 05:19 am
The ignorance & invective of

The ignorance & invective of many in the so-called "Christian" west is exemplified in the comments by GACopperhead. I also recommend Karen Armstrong's book on Islam listed in I.A. Jilani's LTE. We need more letters like this from people who are actually informed on the tenets of Islam & who actually know something about history. I listened to a rebroadcast of a very informative & provocative program on "On Point with Tom Ashbrook" the other day. Pulitzer Prize-winning historian David Levering Lewis, a professor of history at New York University, has written a book that covers Islam's interaction with Europe from 570 - 1215. This historical account offers analogies for today's forced confrontation. Americans in general have a myopic & incomplete view of the world. I go beyond David Levering Lewis's provocative claim that Europe & the west might have been better off if Islam had swept all of the European continent. I contend that demography, geography, resources & historical imperatives dictate that United States & the west will be defeated in the long run (over the next one or two hundred years) in the Middle East & in South Asia, just as the original crusades succeeded only for a short time. Listen for yourself to historian David Levering Lewis:

critter
critter 08/29/08 - 05:28 am
Any time criticism is banned,

Any time criticism is banned, it's wrong, period. Theocracies of any ilk always lead to a lock-step, mob mentality where reason is the biggest victim.

stadry
stadry 08/29/08 - 05:37 am
ditto what critter said :-)

ditto what critter said :-)

PTHS2
PTHS2 08/29/08 - 05:47 am
Rah Rah Rah! Sis Boom Bah! Al

Rah Rah Rah! Sis Boom Bah! Al Yowm huwa al Juma' wa Al Hamdu Li Lah!

PTHS2
PTHS2 08/29/08 - 05:53 am
JRHC - I'm willing to bet

JRHC - I'm willing to bet you've never read The Glorious Qur'an in the Arabic that was given to The Prophet Muhammed. Get informed and call me back in 5 or 10 years when you've done that. Louis Farrakhan hasn't either btw, so don't feel bad.

shivas
shivas 08/29/08 - 05:58 am
While criticize christianity

While criticize christianity on a regular basis, I think it only right that Islam be exposed to the same. Of course, you have fanatics like copperhead who has been washed in the religious right-wing, and actually believes people like Pat Robertson.

christian134
christian134 08/29/08 - 05:59 am
I have and always will be

I have and always will be critical of a "religion" that proclaims Jesus was just a prophet among many prophets...The Bible is the Word of God and Jesus Christ...There is no other and will never be another...Mohammad was just a man with a dream that he wrote down and proclaimed to be holy...The wording is similar with the teachings of the Bible but is not The Word of God...Mohammad was a man of flesh and blood...He died, was buried and did not rise again from the dead...Jesus died, was buried and rose again on the third day and will come again one day for His people...As far as Islam is concerned it has good points but it like so many other "practices of so called peace" this Koran has become, for intents and purposes, a manual for evil actions such as mass murders, murdering of defenseless women and children and is dead set on killing off every man, woman and child living in America today...With that being said I would like to reiterate that Obama has close ties with that world and ..... Well you can take it from there...

changehopehopechange
changehopehopechange 08/29/08 - 06:17 am
I think Al-quieda and the

I think Al-quieda and the Taliban follow the teachings of islam, so in that case, mr jalina, you are full of stinky!

DonH
DonH 08/29/08 - 06:56 am
I don't judge a religion. I

I don't judge a religion. I listen to their philosophies first. Then, I evaluate them by their works. As I see it, the Muslim religions of the world have peaceful foundations, but, because of certain twisted Muslim leaders, violent Jihads abound. I see no other modern religions promoting Jihad-like activities. My conclusion tells me that until modern Muslims can shed the Jihads, they cannot be trusted any more than a rattlesnake. Just keep your distance and it cannot bite!

2tired2argueanymore
2tired2argueanymore 08/29/08 - 06:58 am
Trying to ban criticism is

Trying to ban criticism is nothing but another method of forcing people to hate something. When the world criticises all of the other religions and the UN tries to say you cannot criticise islam then people will just hate it more because they feel slighted by the UN. Why not ban criticism of all religions and play an equal game. Islam surely doesn't have a problem criticising other religions. A religion so closely related to terrorism will always be criticised even if the terrorist are extremist. Perhaps the UN should look at the world situation and see where the terrorist problems are coming from and ask the peaceful people of islam to police their nations so the rest of us can actually believe that peace and islam can be used in the same sentence in a constructive way. I sure don't see a lot of islamics promoting world peace.

changehopehopechange
changehopehopechange 08/29/08 - 07:07 am
Islam is the religion of

Islam is the religion of peoples with no hope. Look at the countries where Islam abounds. Hopeless cesspools where it is easy to recruit terrorist who would gladly strap on a sucide vest for the chance at 52 virgins!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/29/08 - 07:23 am
Why were and are the

Why were and are the teachings of Mohamed taught by the sword? Why does the peaceful religion of Islam not speak out against the radical sects that define their religion? Why does Islam consider women as possessions? Why are honor killings such a major part of the practice of Islam? Why does I.A. Jilani and the rest of his ilk think information about their religion is as filtered to Americans as it is to the followers? JRHC supports Islam over good sense. 'Nuf said.

soldout
soldout 08/29/08 - 07:23 am
"by their fruit you shall

"by their fruit you shall know them" That is all you need to know. Jesus said He was the only way. If He told the truth everything else has to be a lie.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 08/29/08 - 07:26 am
Cain, I agree partially with

Cain, I agree partially with what you wrote about people from non-Islam backgrounds not knowing their history enough to criticize the Moslem/Muslim faith. I also have to agree some with Copperhead though since I profess being a Christian. My faith stems from a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. The Bible is the source of my faith since it has the power of the Living Word to regenerate my spirit, to guide with wisdom, to renew my mind by transforming it to conform to the teachings of our Lord Jesus, and giving me power over sin because I personally experience God's grace daily and moment-by-moment. Any other teaching or doctrine, regardless of its origin, that does not acknowledge Jesus as the Son of the Living God Jehovah/JHWH is a false doctrine. I don't attend church because it is mostly a place of business these days, not a house of worship as it is intended to be. So my belief is derived from my own understanding of scripture and the witness of the Holy Spirit either confirming or denying what is truth.

soldout
soldout 08/29/08 - 07:44 am
ZenoElia the Word says not to

ZenoElia the Word says not to forsake coming together as Christians. You can find a good place. Maybe you already have a place where you can share your praises and prayer needs and have people love and agree with you.

Signal Always
Signal Always 08/29/08 - 07:51 am
Yeah, maybe we can make this

Yeah, maybe we can make this country as prosperous and tolerant as other Islam-only countries like .....um, oh, ......no, ....oh wait, .....no not that one either. Damn, are there any Islamic countries as prosperous or tolerant as the United States? No thank you I-A-J. Islam is an anathema to freedom.

pofwe
pofwe 08/29/08 - 07:59 am
Plain & simple Islam is a

Plain & simple Islam is a FALSE religion. It was fabricated to control those uneducated, poor, easily fooled, ARABS. Suck-it-up Imams. Islam is Bull ... close kin to Sodomites. http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-polytheism-pharaoh-akhenaton.htm

mgroothand
mgroothand 08/29/08 - 08:02 am
I am the person who wrote the

I am the person who wrote the LTE I.A.Jilani refers to. And frankly, I am speechless.

mommie2
mommie2 08/29/08 - 08:09 am
How is it a false religion?

How is it a false religion? Islam started out as a peaceful religion. Then crazy people twisted its meaning (Al-Quieda) and now the world sees it as bad. I would argue the same about Christianity. At its core its a peaceful and loving religion until you put radicals in there that are racist, sexist, and go around bombing clinics. Then it's twisted into something it's not.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 08/29/08 - 08:12 am
When everyone converts to

When everyone converts to Islam, who will be left to be beheaded? Who will we send 15 year old girls with explosives to kill? Who will we call Satan? Whose buildings filled with unsuspecting people of all religions will we crash airplanes filled wiyh innocent people of all religions into?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/29/08 - 08:13 am
I defend Mr. Jilani's right

I defend Mr. Jilani's right to practice his religion. But I condemn as anti-American his attack on freedom of speech. His quote, "The United Nations rightly forbids criticism on Islam because it is not genuine criticism but malicious fabrication," shows his hatred of liberty and justice for all. Freedom of speech means that we must tolerate criticism with which we disagree.

johnsmith
johnsmith 08/29/08 - 08:14 am
Let's leave aside the

Let's leave aside the question of which religion is "right." We all have our own beliefs about that, and we're unlikely to get any confirmation before we're dead. Let's look at how believers ACT. Now, it's just possible that I've not been paying attention, but I haven't seen any Presbyterians or Episcopalians setting off bomb vests in Kindergartens. I haven't seen Catholics or Mormons plant bombs with roofing nails in them, set so that the shrapnel will shred folks sitting down and having a pizza. Baptists aren't putting their beheading videos on websites, and the A.M.E. church does not exhort its followers to install their mortar batteries in among apartment building, so that after they fire a few rounds, and the military strikes back, the latter can be accused of "targeting civilians." Regards of the validity of the philosophy that these folks are following, it's a little stupid to pretend that they don't all have something in common. When that "something" is a sacred text that commands them to kill the unbeliever who refuses to submit to dhimmitude, it's a little disingenuous of them to tell us to stop criticizing their book, as they're strapping on the vest...

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/29/08 - 08:15 am
tjohns22, Islam was taught by

tjohns22, Islam was taught by the sword from the beginning and the peaceful followers don't speak out against the radicals. They, instead, support them with money and secrecy.

DonH
DonH 08/29/08 - 08:17 am
Islam has been twisted by the

Islam has been twisted by the Imams into Jihads for the sake of Jihads. No modern religion behaves in this manner. Like the rattlesnake, listen for the rattle and keep your distance.

augustalawyer
augustalawyer 08/29/08 - 08:22 am
I won't say that Islam is a

I won't say that Islam is a savage religion only that many of those who practice it are savages. I don't know the teachings of Islam but I have seen how it is practiced during my 1.5 years in Afghanistan and Iraq. The magical and mystical beliefs (72 virgins in paradise), the savage brutality towards women (honor killings), the lack of respect for human life (suicide bombers) and the basic belief that any act of theft or violence against a non-believer (Infidel) is acceptable was a disturbing daily example of the religion. I did not live behind the high walls of a camp but was out amongst the people every day. I would like the American Muslims to...for once...to condemn the practices of killing female teachers, beating girls who try to learn to read, burning down schools for girls, honor killings, forced marriages between rape victims and their rapist, and the basic belief that women do not have souls. Without commenting about Islam, is it ok to state THE FACT that many Arab men treat (and love) their farm animals better than their wives? Is it hateful or unlawful to tell people the savage culture of Islam countries?

Barbarossa
Barbarossa 08/29/08 - 08:30 am
Any religion that allows

Any religion that allows little school girls to have their heads chopped off just beacuse they were learning to read is evil.

Europe the motherland for most of us here is having their women raped on a level unheard of due to muslim immigrants who fee it's ok to rape.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 08/29/08 - 08:55 am
Any religion that treats

Any religion that treats women and girls with disrespect is evil. That means BOTH Christianity AND Islam are evil. And I will continue to severely criticize both of these misogynistic religions. That is my obligation as a feminist.

changehopehopechange
changehopehopechange 08/29/08 - 09:00 am
Little Willie, you play hooky

Little Willie, you play hooky from school today?

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 08/29/08 - 09:04 am
It may surprise some of you

It may surprise some of you but I cannot agree with banning Islam because we do need freedom of religion. Just like I want the freedom to proclaim my faith in Jesus. However, the one issue that must be dealt with is that this faith teaches the destruction of all infidels, which is Christian and non-Christians. We cannot allow those who hold such beliefs to actually carry out their radical actions to kill and destroy others with suicide bombs and the like.

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.