Bear that once roamed area killed in Alabama

A black bear from Florida that was tranquilized and captured in June off Augusta's Mike Padgett Highway did not fare so well last week in northern Alabama.

"He ended up in Alabama and was killed," said Georgia wildlife biologist Vic VanSant, who helped capture the bear at Richmond County's 4-H camp June 23 and later released it near Helen, Ga.

The 250-pound male bear had an ear tag when it was captured in Augusta, and biologists later learned it had been captured and tagged last fall at Pinhook Swamp near St. George, Fla.

In Augusta, the bear was treed by dogs and tranquilized with a dart. Then it passed out draped over a limb more than 60 feet up a tree, and Richmond County Fire Department officials helped rescue it.

Mr. VanSant drove the bear to north Georgia in hopes it would remain in unpopulated areas.

Last week, however, it ended up in a neighborhood near Athens, Ala., and was again chased up a tree.

This time, officers shot and killed it, according to The Associated Press.

Capt. Johnny Johnson of the Alabama Department of Conservation said officers deemed the bear dangerous because it had lost its fear of humans, the AP account stated.

Officers did not have a tranquilizer gun, so they opted to kill the bear instead.

Reach Rob Pavey at 868-1222, ext. 119 or rob.pavey@augustachronicle.com.

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/23/08 - 10:11 am
Well bone then you have to

Well bone then you have to define "love" which just like "consciousness" and "conscience" are not easily defined. While altruism is a biological phenomenon, it is not one easily adopted by humans-insects have it down pat. I would agree that a fear of death and explaining the unknow are equally valid and I also believe a driving force in the evolution of religions, but I would offer that religions are biological memes trying to increase altruistic behaviors that is not our inherent nature. I too don't generally don't believe in mystical or supernatural phenomena-paradoxical I know but that is just my nature. I tend to believe faiths are very natural and an inherent tendency of man-obviously given its preponderance. The laws of thermodynamics are an inherent property of the universe, they are a fact, we can try to explain how but why is another matter and that is what I believe has seeded most faiths-and it is what even Einstein struggled the why the universe is the way it is. Biological entities are strange indeed and something "apparently" quite unique in the universe-inanimate matter attains properties of homeostasis, reproductions, etc. thought. Why? I love to study the how too. I agree your argumens are equally valid Bone. I can appreciate your lacking an interest in spirituality-I too have done so most of my life. But I ponder the notion of a collective conscious or if brain waves like radiowaves or electromagnetic waves can alter matter-as in biological matter. But you are a very reasonable person Bone and I respect your beliefs and I too don't like people trying to force their beliefs on others be it religion or gay marriage. Sorry I did belabor the point. My Bad! I would still have you as my VP the yin and yang balance needed in govt. Bizarro-Bone 08' Strange is change.

augustalawyer
augustalawyer 08/23/08 - 10:13 am
OMG PT is seems you had a

OMG PT is seems you had a little too much brandy last night.

GASUNSHINE08
GASUNSHINE08 08/23/08 - 10:34 am
It's just a bear. And after

It's just a bear. And after roaming into civilization for at least the third time, you know this bear had no fear of humans. And the zoos can only take so many. Kudos to the Alabama police for doing the right thing and killing the bear.

Rose
Rose 08/23/08 - 10:44 am
They had no reason to kill

They had no reason to kill that bear. They could have captured it and done what real humans would do. They could have taken it to another place and turned it loose or taken it to a zoo.

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/23/08 - 10:53 am
Zoos are an abomination to

Zoos are an abomination to nature. They should all be destroyed. It is the antithesis of compassion, love, or a respect for nature. Trap animals and display them for human curiosity. All pets should be freed also, because they were meant to be free. Hee,hee,hee.

bone
bone 08/23/08 - 11:04 am
on the contrary, biz, i have

on the contrary, biz, i have a deep desire for spirituality and seek to divine the mysteries of the universe in my daily life thru the media of song and poetry. you didn't belabor anything, either: your argument that biology plays a part in our religious nature is actually quite interesting and i'll certainly follow up on it with a bit of research. my cat wouldn't do too well in the wild: she recently trapped herself between two large bookcases while i was working upstairs (had i not been around, she would certainly have been in quite a fix). don't know exactly how i come to enjoy zoos - i could very easily see myself arguing vehemently for eliminating them in favor of allowing animals to roam free - but i must admit a selfish pleasure in watching the monkeys at play. never seen a bear in captivity that looked very happy.

freedombelle
freedombelle 08/23/08 - 11:10 am
MAN, I now know why you

MAN, I now know why you picked the title, BIZARRE_O.. :)

mgr
mgr 08/23/08 - 11:11 am
THIS JUST IN: Alabama

THIS JUST IN: Alabama Wal-Marts have sold out of ammunition. It was stated from a reliable source that although the Russians had invaded Georgia, they sure as hell weren't getting Alabama.

freedombelle
freedombelle 08/23/08 - 11:12 am
Also see why you & BONE would

Also see why you & BONE would make perfect runningmates...

GASUNSHINE08
GASUNSHINE08 08/23/08 - 11:19 am
How many times are we

How many times are we supposed to catch and release a dangerous animal? It had already been taken to other places far away from civilization and it came back every time.

rbk
rbk 08/23/08 - 12:02 pm
I'm with PT on this one. For

I'm with PT on this one. For goodness sake, they gave it three new chances and it kept coming back. For you animal rights people, get over it, it was an animal, it didn't have a soul. I assume it died very shortly after it was shot and didn't suffer. I have no problem with killing animals, I do have a problem with making them suffer or torturing them. I know it is wrong, but I wish human animals that maim and torture other innocent human beings, could be tortured and made to suffer like their victims did.

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/23/08 - 12:26 pm
Wow! Freedombelle you are one

Wow! Freedombelle you are one astute cookie. I was being facetious about the zoos by the by. Actually Bone and I would make better Prez and VP than either candidate-we are both far more intelligent than either candidate-I got the degrees to prove it. hee,hee,hee. Bone and I actually disagree quite a bit which makes for great diversity in govt. something there is little of in reality.

i.b.e.w..electric
i.b.e.w..electric 08/23/08 - 12:32 pm
i lived in athens ,ala for

i lived in athens ,ala for two years and i can tell you the law over there thought it would be a treat to shoot something.

happythoughts
happythoughts 08/23/08 - 02:27 pm
Life is precious! Those who

Life is precious! Those who agree to these senseless acts must be lacking some emotional behavior that is developed during childhood which relates to having no conscience about it.

mable8
mable8 08/23/08 - 03:38 pm
SgtMidtown: the article is

SgtMidtown: the article is about a wayward bear, not "welfare people who breed like rats" who are supposedly the ones who create crime and gangs. For YOUR information, there are MANY upper-class and upper-middle class gangs; some are wealthy because they perpetuate crime. As for the unfortunate bear, it isn't so much that he no longer feared humans, it is more of the loss of HIS territory. Humans infringe on the territories of other living beings without consideration of their needs. No kudos for Alabama; I doubt they even attempted to move the bear back into the mountains. Sad day for the animals.

RogerThornhill
RogerThornhill 08/23/08 - 04:02 pm
simply horrible - I was very

simply horrible - I was very sad to read this. alabama white trash with guns. honestly how hard would it have been to find a tranquilizer while the officers kept the bear up the tree?

iwannaknowthetruth
iwannaknowthetruth 08/23/08 - 05:57 pm
and they didn't shoot you

and they didn't shoot you electric, darn!

Chuchi
Chuchi 08/23/08 - 06:00 pm
Poor bear.

Poor bear.

KSL
KSL 08/23/08 - 08:51 pm
A story not unlike the one in

A story not unlike the one in Aiken County recently where a young deer was found inside a horse pasture. He wouldn't leave and lived there for 4 years, thinking he was a horse. Killed by an unknown coward at night, target practice, I guess. The local deer hunters are outraged as are the game and wildlife folks. Wild animals who have come to develop trust for humans should not be punished for that.

steve-o
steve-o 08/24/08 - 12:29 pm
They have a fly in Alabama

Signal Always
Signal Always 08/25/08 - 09:39 am
There was no reason to shoot

There was no reason to shoot the bear. It was causing harm to no one.

TheGeorgian
TheGeorgian 09/24/08 - 03:14 pm
"They have a fly in Alabama

"They have a fly in Alabama that turns anyone who gets bitten by it into a dumb[filtered word]. There have been millions of victims.
Posted by steve-o on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:29 PM"

We don't mean to have THOSE people to the west of us kill our bears. They're as bad as consarn Yankees...if not worse. Seem to have a corner on stupid over there and maybe it's the flies. Someone once told me that Alabama used to be a penal colony for Georgia and that criminals too bad to be kept here were permanently exiled to Alabama. These yahoos must be descended from some of those early settlers.