Musical preferences aside, Number 9 rocked in tribute

One of the fascinating things about music is how two people can listen to the same recording of a song and come away with different feelings and interpretations.

At Health Central on Saturday I ran into WAGT-TV meteorologist Jeff Rucker and was telling him that I didn't remember how much I disliked the Beatles' double disc the White Album until hearing it performed Friday night in the Imperial by Ed Turner's Number 9 band.

The group itself, with its complement of string musicians, dancers, brass players and videos, was fabulous as usual.

But most of the songs, to me, seem silly, boring and just plain forgettable: Dear Prudence -- boring; Bungalow Bill --sing-song simple, silly and boring; Good Night -- good grief, boring; Why Don't We Do It in the Road -- repetitiously boring; the countrified Don't Pass Me By -- I'll pass it by; I'm So Tired -- puts me to sleep; Rocky Raccoon -- to me ranks right up with Bobby Darin's Mack The Knife as a song I don't need to hear again in my lifetime.

Now, granted, the album has some standouts, including Back in the USSR , Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (Life Goes On) ; Blackbird (sung incredibly well by Roger Davis); While My Guitar Gently Weeps (played brilliantly by Number 9 lead guitarist Chip McDonald); Happiness Is a Warm Gun , I Will , Birthday and Helter Skelter .

There were many others in the Imperial audience who, I'm sure, completely disagree with my evaluation and totally enjoyed almost all the songs performed by Mr. Turner and company.

One of my friends seated nearby Friday night, in fact, told me how he loathes Eleanor Rigby (which Number 9 performed in a long introductory first set) and thinks most of Paul McCartney's songs sound "wuzzy."

I am just the opposite and think that ballad is a literary masterpiece with its imagery of Eleanor Rigby "wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door" and Father McKenzie "darning his socks in the night when there's nobody there."

It really doesn't matter what your musical tastes are just as long as you love good music, or what you think is good music.

Augusta is very fortunate to have many great bands like Ed Turner's Number 9 so we can decide for ourselves what we like and don't like.

Mr. Turner, by the way, announced that Number 9's next Beatles recreation will be Abbey Road . Now that's an album filled with great songs.

LEON EVERETTE'S CONCERT: Former RCA Records country star Leon Everette, of Ward, S.C., and his band will perform his gospel music show at 7 p.m. Saturday at Cornerstone Community Church, 1518 Edgefield Road in North Augusta, three miles north of Interstate 20.

There will be an offering taken. For other details, call the church at (803) 441-8900 or Toni Brunson at (803) 349-5869.

Mr. Everette's hit singles for RCA and Mercury records included Over , Giving Up Easy , Don't Feel Like the Lone Ranger , If I Keep on Going Crazy and Hurricane . He opened shows for Conway Twitty, George Jones, Hank Williams Jr. and other stars.

Don Rhodes has written about country music for 37 years. He can be reached at (706) 823-3214 or at don.rhodes@morris.com.

ivymist
ivymist 08/21/08 - 08:47 am
Seriously? Boring? That is

Seriously? Boring? That is one descriptive word I have NEVER heard about the White Album, positive or negative. This has always been my choice for Desert Island Disc as there's any kind of music you could possibly ever want in one (albeit double) album. Country, Pop, Rock, Reggae, Jazz, Classical, Psychedelic, even a bit of early forms of Rap. I may not actually enjoy all the songs (Revolution #9 has the distinct honor of being The Beatles most skipped song) but there's nothing parallelled in its inclusion of so many different and yet complete, genres of music.
Boring is just one I adjective have never heard here.
I'll agree with you on one thing though, how could anything be boring when played by Number 9?

carlyle
carlyle 08/21/08 - 12:13 pm
Ed Turner and Number 9 should

Ed Turner and Number 9 should have been applauded first in this article for the incredible musicians that they are. Then you can cut down the Beatles albumn. Poor form on your part, Mr. Rhodes. The concert was a total sell out two nights in a row, and people were dancing in the aisles. Boring??? wrong choice of adjectives. Incredibly done, would be a better selection of words. I'm sure Number #9, however, will happily accept your back door compliment.

LaTwon
LaTwon 08/21/08 - 01:00 pm
do some acid and try it

do some acid and try it again.......... perhaps some purple microdot or some window pane.......... i cant say enough nice things about it. the version of helter skelter was perfect. it all was flawless. #9 #9 #9 #9 #9 #9 #9 #9 #9 #9 #9 #9 #9

carlyle
carlyle 08/21/08 - 01:39 pm
I believe everyone knows that

I believe everyone knows that this albumn was done by #9 as a celebration and recreation of an albumn released 40 years ago. Afterall, Number #9 before they became well known here in augusta started this idea to celebrate 40 years of the Beatles on the release date of each albumn. It has snowballed and become an incredible way to raise funds for the Columbia county Exchange Club. They didn't do this to make Beatles fans miserable. It is part of a master plan. get with the program.

LCC0256
LCC0256 08/21/08 - 03:09 pm
Don i could not agree more

Don i could not agree more about the content of the White album.. however Bobby Darin's Mack the Knife although lyrically unintelligible is an absolute classic from the musical melody and phrasing standpoint... i just cannot see how a man with your remarkable history of music experience would single out this classic..?? and not appreciate or enjoy it... just goes to prove your other point in the story......

Display Name
Display Name 08/21/08 - 11:03 pm
Don, you're 40 years late

Don, you're 40 years late with your whining about the songs. This was a cover performance, not a performance of original music....so you should review the performance of the songs, not the songs themselves. The band was incredible, the performance was incredible. You did the band a great dis-service and you did the Augusta arts scene a great dis-service with this non-article.

You struck out on this one, and lost a lot of respect. You owe us all an apology.

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 08/22/08 - 10:48 am
don....how are you? forget

don....how are you?
forget the above sniveling...you are one of the best i've ever read at what you do, and frankly , though it pains me, this album was recorded in a time when the beatles were going through tremendous growing pains,going in different directions personally as well as professionally, and it showed.
you aren't far off the mark,and thank you for your decades of objective ,though sometimes painful critiques.
as neil young wrote,"long may you run".
the muscians in #9 are among the best to ever play in augusta,ga.no one has said any different.they set,then raise the bar with every new project.
god bless all these guys and their charitable work.
don,i'll e-mail you later.....

Seansie
Seansie 08/22/08 - 11:43 am
Don, very good assessment

Don, very good assessment here. The White Album (and to me most later Beatles' efforts) was kind of drugged out musical anemia. There were a few high points, but only a few. I prefer the early Beatles; they had energy, inventiveness, wonderfully sung and the songs weren't quite as repetitious. As I have gotten older, the later Beatles. Hendrix, Joplin and that ilk have become unlistenable because they sound so f'd up.

kamsmom
kamsmom 09/18/08 - 09:30 pm
Don, as you are a music

Don, as you are a music lover, you know that there is never an artist that you love every song that they do. Even some albums are better than others. But the performance that Ed Turner and the #9 Band gave was phenominal. Roger is Paul and John rolled into one, every artist that played that night was beyond great. Whether you like the album or not should not be the question. Your commentary should be on the band's performance which was wonderful!