The Best BBQ

Everybody has a barbecue opinion. Some think that a vinegar sauce is appropriate, while others believe a mustard base is the way to go. Some think the best meat comes from the shoulder; others, the flank. There are questions of wood and charcoal -- should it be hickory, oak or some other smoking hardwood?

In truth, there are no right or wrong answers, just preferences and, perhaps, some experiments that pan out better than others.

Still, we here at The Augusta Chronicle felt that after the success of our Burger Board, it might be time to turn our attention toward the South's staple cuisine. We selected six barbecue joints (no chains allowed) and six hungry newsroom writers to rate each establishment's chopped-pork sandwich on a scale from 1 to 5 on the criteria of flavor, consistency, sauce and serving size. Here are the less-than-scientific results.

Reach Steven Uhles at (706) 823-3626 or steven.uhles@augustachronicle.com.

YOU TELL US

So what did we get wrong? Right? What smoking pit should have been included that we missed? It's your turn to give a shout-out to Augusta's best barbecue. Comments can be sent to steven.uhles@augustachronicle.com.

yalibrarian
yalibrarian 08/21/08 - 08:11 am
Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton

Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton should definitely have been included, not that they care. If they're open, they're packed. It's not like they need the approval of the Augusta newspaper. I just find the consistent omission of this excellent establishment in BBQ discussions very odd. And frankly, Bobby's is for dilletantes; no self-respecting BBQ lover would go near that place.

junebug
junebug 08/21/08 - 08:29 am
You missed the closest joint

You missed the closest joint to the Chronicle - and the best - The BBQ Barn in North Augusta. Bobbys? You won't find any wood or charcoal there.

americafirst
americafirst 08/21/08 - 09:13 am
The best, biggest, and most

The best, biggest, and most reasonably priced bar-b-que sandwich in town is at Jack's Barbeque on Lumpkin Road. They also have a killer buffet. You won't be disappointed.

Seashells
Seashells 08/21/08 - 09:26 am
Just pull up in the parking

Just pull up in the parking lot of Sconyers and you will KNOW who has the best BBQ....Larry Sconyers....the place is packed all the time!!!!! The economy and the gas prices have not kept people from eating at their favorite restaurant. While others like TBonz have slacked off business, service and quality of food Sconyers still has excellent service and food.
The building is the best looking around too!

bbqlover
bbqlover 08/21/08 - 10:10 am
First of all its spelled -

First of all its spelled - dilettantes - of which Bobby's is not! I love Bobby's Bar-B-Q. Their smoked pork is tender and juicey. Their mild sauce is just right. They must be doing someting right since they've had a loyal following in their successful business for over 25 years. Your taste testers must be yankies since no one received a 5 - clearly they do not know their bar-b-q.

steve-o
steve-o 08/21/08 - 10:47 am
Frank and jessies in

Frank and jessies in Waynesboro has the best bbq sandwich I ever had.

yalibrarian
yalibrarian 08/21/08 - 11:07 am
Spelling is a low-order

Spelling is a low-order skill, actually, but I appreciate your attention to it. Likewise, Bobby's is a low-order flavor. Meat cooked over an electric element, then doused with sauce ain't BBQ. The "ain't" is my claim to non-yankee status, because yankee I ain't.

yalibrarian
yalibrarian 08/21/08 - 11:53 am
oh and it's spelled

oh and it's spelled Y-A-N-K-E-E-S

dani
dani 08/21/08 - 12:11 pm
I am an extremely picky

I am an extremely picky eater. I'm the child you would not want.
I take everything apart and look at what is inside the bun. Sconyers is the only restaurant where I have found good lean meat, no fat, no gristle...My choice by a mile! Sconyers.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/21/08 - 12:14 pm
Of all those they listed and

Of all those they listed and have tried them all and sconyers beats those listed. I agree with avenging and junebug that bbq barn and coarolina are very very good!!! And Jack's on lumpkin, I was so excited to have a bbq buffet so close.. and was sooooooo disappointed. The food was all prefab tasting. If you want a great southern buffet.... go to Duke's bbq right down the road from carolina bbq... they have drifted from the traditional bbq buffet but have great southern home cooked food. Their fried ciken, squash casserole and peach cobbler is soooooooo worth the 45 minute drive from martinez. I make it quite often its that good!!!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/21/08 - 12:18 pm
lol cissy, that is exactly

lol cissy, that is exactly the reason I fell in love with sconyers sandwiches, but for those days they re not open andyou ar having that craving.. bbq barn is the same way. Huge sandwiches cleaned very well. I can not say much for the rest of the food, but the sandwiches are great. I always get cravings when sconyers isnt open. Usually you can tell a great place to eat becuase they are only open a few days a week and have weird hours, they d home cooked instead of prefab so they arent open as much as a most who just concentrate on money to help defray the cost of providing the good food. and in return i think they actually make more!! Has anyone tried the best of carl's in edgefield yet?

brotherjeep
brotherjeep 08/21/08 - 12:20 pm
It's not in Augusta or Aiken

It's not in Augusta or Aiken for that fact, but if you want the best Bar-B-Que around it is worth the drive to Leesville, SC to go to Shealy's. I have on more than one occassion made the 30 minute drive only to go to Shealy's. There is a reason that their sauce is in grocery store shelves. Even better you go to Shealy's, get nice and full and on the way back stop at the Big Mo, and watch some movies while the BBQ settles!!! There is no better.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/21/08 - 12:33 pm
I forgot about that... thanks

I forgot about that... thanks brother.. I have been hearing raves about shealy's. Been wanting to try it next trip to Columbia, maybe going to zoo this or next weekend. Thanks for the reminder!!! Gonna try big mo's too!!

bucky
bucky 08/21/08 - 02:23 pm
BBQ Barn has the best

BBQ Barn has the best barbecue in town. Always fresh, everything homemade, best desserts, friendly staff and great prices. You get a lot of food for the money.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 08/21/08 - 03:33 pm
Trenton BBQ is my favorite

Trenton BBQ is my favorite and I've eaten BBQ from here to Texas...Texas BBQ sucks. NO pork! And they call themselves part of the South!

shivas
shivas 08/21/08 - 03:41 pm
Freemans in Beech Island.

Freemans in Beech Island. Cooked the real way over a pit, and minimal sauce is needed, if any at all. Some good hash and rice as well!

voluptuously_auburn1
voluptuously_auburn1 08/21/08 - 04:11 pm
BBQ Barn in North Augusta

BBQ Barn in North Augusta .... the place blows everyone else completely away. Banana Pudding, and all the cakes and pies are homemade and better then your grandma's. Serving sizes are way over the top - great deal for the money

bulldog08
bulldog08 08/21/08 - 05:12 pm
I am now on a quest to try

I am now on a quest to try each an everyone of these "best BBQ" places...........going to be a great time for my tastebuds! Thank you everyone for informing us about places to try and some of their specialities!!!

sliique
sliique 08/21/08 - 06:02 pm
ANYONE that has the audacity,

ANYONE that has the audacity, (yes, AUDACITY!) to actually SAY that Sconyers and the BBQ Barn in North Augusta is tops does NOT have a CLUE what excellent BBQ is. Suffice to say, on my second (and, LAST!) visit to the BBQ Barn, I was assured that the BLAND potato salad was cold. In reality, it was room temperature.

Further, "jehovah," whatever your Nick is: The TRUTH is...there are Yankees and those that can only WISH they were! Uhhhh, who's that in the passing lane, going UNDER the speed limit, talking, dialing or texting on their cell phone, OBLIVIOUS to the traffic jam they've created in their wake, simply because they're preparing to turn left in Birmingham, New Orleans, Dallas, Phoenix, or WHO knows where! I BET this applies to you, "jehovah," and ANYONE that THINKS Sconyers or the BBQ Barn has real, GOOD, BBQ!

mojo
mojo 08/21/08 - 07:08 pm
sorry to offend but you can't

sorry to offend but you can't bbq within over 50 miles of Augusta that rates a 5

iwannaknowthetruth
iwannaknowthetruth 08/21/08 - 07:10 pm
sliique, I never agreed with

sliique, I never agreed with you before, but I have to now. If you like sconyers bbq, you like chopped cardboard with something which is "supposed" to be sauce. Best bbq anywhere?????? Mine!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/21/08 - 07:26 pm
Potato salad is not bbq

Potato salad is not bbq slique, lol At BBQ barn thier sandwich is good mainly becuase they have clean meat, I use my own sauces, everything else leaves something to be desired, especially the potato salad. Where do you think is the best around here? Of course mine is the bestin my opnion also, but ya have to have a backup for when you do not feel like cooking.lol And I love to stuff myself at a buffet.... Duke's rocks!!! Will be trying carl's also, I have high hopes since it is closer than dukes, I hope to not be disappointed like I was at jacks.

they call me pete
they call me pete 08/21/08 - 07:40 pm
I'm not turning down any of

I'm not turning down any of em. So hush.

Logan1
Logan1 08/21/08 - 07:52 pm
Shanes Rib Shack, is the

Shanes Rib Shack, is the newest. And probably has the most incredible bbq ive ever had. BIG DAD PORK SANDWICH you gotta try it

iwannaknowthetruth
iwannaknowthetruth 08/21/08 - 07:57 pm
tas, I would like a backup

tas, I would like a backup too! I don't like to cook my famous, que, all the time!

concerned voter
concerned voter 08/21/08 - 08:21 pm
I am a Big fan of

I am a Big fan of Mot's--surprised it was not mentioned

they call me pete
they call me pete 08/21/08 - 08:29 pm
I, too, am a Mott's man.

I, too, am a Mott's man.

iwannaknowthetruth
iwannaknowthetruth 08/21/08 - 09:01 pm
if it's good enough for

if it's good enough for pete,--it's good enough for me--backup!

Seashells
Seashells 08/21/08 - 09:32 pm
Like I said....Sconyers

Like I said....Sconyers parking lot is always full... Also my pocket is always full too of cash!

spotted_assassin
spotted_assassin 08/21/08 - 09:50 pm
How do you spell BBQ?

How do you spell BBQ? S.H.E.A.L.Y.'S.!!!!!!!
Hands down!
-Now in about a month or two (or once the weather breaks), the place to go will be Edmund's for their Chicken Stew!

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...