$250,000 in parts taken from fort

Investigators are trying to determine how almost a quarter-million dollars worth of parts were stolen from a Fort Gordon maintenance facility.

Marquette Mitchell, 37, of the 2300 block of Helsinki Drive, and Omar Gavin, 33, of the 1000 block of Kent Street, are charged with two counts each of felony theft by receiving stolen property, according to a Richmond County sheriff's report.

Investigator Kendall Brown, who investigates metal thefts, said he saw the men unloading Army-style duffel bags at Campbell's Recycling Center last week. After tracing their information, he discovered that the men were day laborers with Akima Corp., a subcontractor on post. The men are accused of stealing more than $249,000 worth of maintenance items, including antennas and cable used on Humvees.

"These guys had a total disregard for operational security," Investigator Brown said. "These are sensitive items -- military antenna items."

Investigator Brown said police are not sure how the parts got through security. Military officials said they are investigating the possibility that more people were involved.

The men received only $308 from the center for parts valued at just over $100,000, according to Investigator Brown. The other stolen items were recovered Saturday from a home on Holloway Drive, where police said the parts were hidden before sale.

Army investigators said they are pursuing federal charges.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 08/19/08 - 01:36 am
When thieves receive slightly

When thieves receive slightly over $300 for parts for which our DOD paid much in excess of $100K, doesn't it seem highly likely that our DOD got robbed at least twice?

tonytonytony
tonytonytony 08/19/08 - 01:41 am
I love this. I have been

I love this. I have been saying that the biggest crooks in this metal stealing problem was the buyers. Now BOOM, they buy $100,000 worth of stuff for $308. That pretty good profit i think, you pay $308 for $100,000 worth of stuff. The owners from campbells should be under the jail. I wrote a post in here a couple months ago when i said that the metal buyers were crooks. One of them responded to me in a post that they check id's. I guess they can check id's but cant tell when they are buying U S ARMY stuff. I guess the green bags the stuff was in wasnt a tip off. Are the clowns at campbells that dumd or that crooked. As a tax payer i paid for some of that stuff that those clowns bought for $308. I want those clowns arrested for buying it. Arrested for buying stolen goverment propety. STOP THE STEALING. LOCK UP THE CLOWNS THAT BUY THE STUFF.

NEone
NEone 08/19/08 - 01:44 am
Not sure how the parts got

Not sure how the parts got through security? Simple. Security at Ft. Gordon is a joke.

tonytonytony
tonytonytony 08/19/08 - 01:53 am
I wonder what would have

I wonder what would have happened if investigator brown had not been there. I guess the money hungry bunch from campbells might have sold the stuff to the people we are fighting. I guess it would bring a pretty penny. If you all about the money like these crooks are i wouldnt put it past them. I guess the bunch from campbells will say this is the first time they ever bought stolen stuff. yea, WINK. I was born at night you crooks but not last night. This has to stop. The law has to start arresting the crooks that buy the stolen stuff. If they are in jail. Noone to buy it. People stop stealing it. I guess that would be to easy tho huh.

wasasoldier
wasasoldier 08/19/08 - 05:16 am
This kind of incident will

This kind of incident will continue as long as there are civilian contractors running the Army. The provost marshal, the adjutant, finance office clerks....ALL CIVILIANS. The people that processed me out of the Army were Akima contractors. They just don't have a vested interest in what is best for the Army, and there is simply no oversight by ranking members of the military. I agree with NEone that security at Ft. Gordon is a joke. Note: WACKENHUT contractors. Try to go through the gate with someone else's military ID card. You'll be waved through, no problem. I changed my military service from one to another recently, and although I was in my new non-Army uniform still carrying an Army ID, they never stopped me, and I went through five days in a row.

justputtin
justputtin 08/19/08 - 05:17 am
They got thru security

They got thru security because security only checks you hard going in, not leaving, typically. Agreed, the metal buyers are less than honest, typically.

dani
dani 08/19/08 - 05:39 am
Why is there no mention of

Why is there no mention of charges against the recycle company. These folks are crooks. Something is very wrong with this picture.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 08/19/08 - 05:48 am
Dumb Dummies...

Dumb Dummies...

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 08/19/08 - 05:53 am
Perhaps Akima will now look

Perhaps Akima will now look towards hiring women that can do the job more honestly???

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 08/19/08 - 06:41 am
I agree with NEone,

I agree with NEone, justputtin, and others who post that security at Fort Gordon is a joke. I can not remember the last time I saw any vehicle that was leaving Fort Gordon being checked.

iletuknow
iletuknow 08/19/08 - 06:49 am
Folks from Augusta stealing

Folks from Augusta stealing from Fort Gordon? Get outta here......

CKB
CKB 08/19/08 - 07:08 am
Thanks to Investigator

Thanks to Investigator Kendall Brown for doing an excellent job! I can only hope you are rewarded for your work!! Sheriff Strength, what rewards do you have planned for this deserving policeman? The public would love to know. Thanks again for making Augusta better.

dani
dani 08/19/08 - 07:25 am
Hey. Folks are stealing bus

Hey. Folks are stealing bus rides... why not military equipment.
I want to know why the owner (or employee) of the recycling company didn't call the cops when the lot was brought in. Insufferable, greedy leeches of society.

shamrock
shamrock 08/19/08 - 07:25 am
"wasasoldier" is nothing but

"wasasoldier" is nothing but a liar. His story is full of more holes than the security that let the stolen equipment slip through. Akima never processed you out of the Army you IDIOT! You were processed out by Department of Defense civilians who are NOT contractors! As to illegally using a federally issued ID card, that's nothing to brag about. Maybe you need to be investigated! It often scares me people like you are supposed to be protecting us from the enemy. Maybe that's why the Army let you go...??? By the way ... seems like you were a cilvilian once. The problem with jack[filtered word]es like you is that once you get a uniform on you think that makes you better than anyone else. Not so!

pofwe
pofwe 08/19/08 - 07:59 am
What is wrong with NOT

What is wrong with NOT prosecuting these scrap-yard buyers? They are part of the problem. It would be beneficial for a deputy to be assigned to stand beside the buyer of scrap metal and question any suspicious purchases, e.g. manhole covers, bleachers, military parts, ... etc ...

IHateSignal
IHateSignal 08/19/08 - 07:59 am
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is just the tip of the iceberg at Fort Gordon. The corruption and graft that is at that post should be investigated by DOD. Security is bad at Fort Gordon why? Because so much of the resources and manpower is wasted tracking down and prosecuting people who should not be in the Army to begin with. Second, the post is being secured by those who retired from there. "I know you, go ahead and pass." Even more so is the hiring practices at Fort Gordon. The only way you are getting a job at, lets say, DDEMC or GD schoolhouse is if you know someone, not by the skills you may have. Last but not least, Shamrock, dont hate, its not constructive, remember perception is an individual thing. Also, name calling, not good. We are not in the 3rd Grade.

sandbox
sandbox 08/19/08 - 08:01 am
Shamrock, cool your jets. So

Shamrock, cool your jets. So many civilians look just like the next one, who can tell if they are DOD or Contractors. Can you tell the differnce between Akima, Eagle Group or a Johnson Control employee? No, I think not. And, many of them are ripping someone off. The Govt, taxpayers or employees. To bad we do not have enough military to do it all or at least oversee things a little bit closer.

sandbox
sandbox 08/19/08 - 08:01 am
Shamrock, cool your jets. So

kelnbri2003
kelnbri2003 08/19/08 - 08:02 am
Kudos to Inv. Brown and the

Kudos to Inv. Brown and the investigator at Ft. Gordon. Top notch collaboration to prosecute these people who obviously don't have any type of morals or standards. It's a shame that people who are give a decent job to provide for their families become "greedy" and always want more. It's just a sad that their families are now going to be involved in this and have to pay the price as well. And to the guys that got caught taking advantage of the U.S. Army, have fun working at McDonalds, cause that will be the only place that will hire you now!!!!

kelnbri2003
kelnbri2003 08/19/08 - 08:10 am
I also agree with many of you

I also agree with many of you regarding this recycling plant..It should be monitored better for people who are bringing in possible items that have been stolen from post or even from new construction. The subdivision I live in had several new homes that were not completed. These homes were vandalized and many things taken like copper. Also, these people who work there and ALLOW people to do quick downloads and get money need to be prosecuted right along with the crooks that stole these items.

wasasoldier
wasasoldier 08/19/08 - 08:12 am
My DD214 is signed by an

My DD214 is signed by an Akima contractor. You're clearly a concerned taxpayer, so feel free to call them for yourself and ask at 706-791-1950 or 4429 or go to room 237 of Darling Hall (they'll let you on base to visit, don't worry). Don't get me wrong, they were all very nice people and conducted themselves as professionals. Call the number and talk to anyone that answers the phone. Mr. Lewis outprocessed me, but if you want to get the boss, ask for Mr. Wilson, same guy who signed my DD214.

iletuknow
iletuknow 08/19/08 - 08:25 am
They are all civilians as it

They are all civilians as it has been shown that enlisted present day Army personnel have a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time.

MJDW
MJDW 08/19/08 - 08:32 am
Campbells Recycling can be

Campbells Recycling can be charge with buying stolen property. And SHOULD BE!!!!!!!!

IHateSignal
IHateSignal 08/19/08 - 08:32 am
iletuknow, walking and

iletuknow, walking and chewing gum would be a violation of AR 670-1...hahahaha

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 08/19/08 - 08:39 am
IHateSignal. Why hate

IHateSignal. Why hate Signal?

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 08/19/08 - 08:42 am
It's harder to get on then to

It's harder to get on then to get off, I suppose they think everyone is on the up and up when they exit the fort.

Reality
Reality 08/19/08 - 08:45 am
The equipment was being sold

The equipment was being sold as scrap, that's why it was so cheap, pawn a gold ring and see what you get for it... I don't see any way possible that Campbells didn't realize it was Government property....They should all be burned a new one............

iletuknow
iletuknow 08/19/08 - 08:45 am
IHateSignal,I would think

IHateSignal,I would think that Ft.Gordon is just an example of the US military in general that by now the whole world realizes.

Reality
Reality 08/19/08 - 08:47 am
The security out there is a

The security out there is a joke, my old neighbor forgot about his hunting rifle lying on the back seat of his truck and went to work at the Fort for 3 days and was never stopped.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 08/19/08 - 08:49 am
The scrap buyers should have

The scrap buyers should have a system and a sign at the door saying: If your scrap is over this much, and is not bundled etc. we will CALL THE POLICE IMMEDIATELY, that will keep a lot of those crooks from selling. Also, I think the dealers are at fault as well, what are they getting from the sell really. Campbells needs to be fined and the owner (or the person who did the transaction) should be arrested.